HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          John Beck Released
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: John Beck Released
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 28, 2009 06:33AM

My point is that there may be some guys that had similar situations to Beck, but it would be next to impossible to for a rookie to have a worse situation. I should have specified rookie.

All of the rookies you mentioned had bad situations, no doubt about it; but none can match Beck. It wasn't just the losses, it was the absolute lack of talent and coaching around him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 28, 2009 06:58AM

Well then Beck will go elsewhere and become an all pro. God bless him!!

I (along with the front office) are willing to take that risk!

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 28, 2009 07:00AM

I would argue that most of those other teams with rookie QB's had equal or less talent and bad coaching because in most cases they were perennial losers...Detroit, Indy, Cincy, NE...Coaches like Rod Rust, David Shula, Ron Meyer, Bill Peterson, Marty Mornhinweg.

Miami had talent in 07 but many of them were injured or had just given up. The number of players on IR has to be close to an all time record.

It was Murphy Law at it's worst.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 28, 2009 07:03AM

MikeO - I'm not saying that at all. My only point was how bad his situation was in 2007.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 07:08AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 28, 2009 07:20AM

Beck has potential, I'm dissappointed that the FO didn't move him earlier, but my guess is that the FO had planned to draft P. White all along and didn't want to tip their hand.

To be honest, I thought the P. White decision was a reactive decision based on losing out on a key pick ... this suggests otherwise in retrospect.

I think Beck was put in a no win position by circumstance in year one and hope he gets a chance somewhere. At least the FO is gving him time to land somewhere and no barriers (required picks)

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 28, 2009 07:22AM

As far as beck goes, it looks like he wasn't even worth a seventh round pick on this years draft to anybody. Im sure they tried.

Date: April 28, 2009 07:46AM

good players can overcome a bad situation. or at least make it somewhat better. Beck made it worse. Then the next season when the situation WAS by far better, he did NOTHING and lost his job to a rookie QB.

Seen enough.......GOOD BYE NOW Mr.BECK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 07:46AM by MikeO.

Date: April 28, 2009 07:50AM

You can't expect a rookie to make a situation like we had in 2007 better. Steve Young couldn't do it in Tampa. Even Aikman went 0-11 his rookie year. Peyton Manning went 3-13. A rookie QB can't increase the entire team's talent level, which is what needed to happen in Miami.

Date: April 28, 2009 07:56AM

Sorry north east, as much as we wanted it to, beck didnt show nothing at all. He showed no poise, had happy feet , passes that werent even close,(((( right into the ground)))) Fumbled every sigle time the pressure got to him and so on.

Henne came in and beat him out for the second string QB spot last year.

Beck in just not an NFL QB.

Date: April 28, 2009 08:10AM

I'm not saying he will ever be any good or even be a starter in this league. I'm only saying that he had a horrendous situation in his one opportunity.

Date: April 28, 2009 08:14AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not saying he will ever be any good or even be
> a starter in this league. I'm only saying that he
> had a horrendous situation in his one opportunity.

I agree.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 28, 2009 02:22PM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> A rookie QB can't
> increase the entire team's talent level, which is
> what needed to happen in Miami.

Some very special QBs can. Dan Marino did. Beck is no Marino, though. Not many QBs are.

Date: April 28, 2009 08:35PM

The 2007 situation was bad. OK. But the 2008 situation WASN'T BAD. It was an 11-5 team and Beck still sucked and lost his job to a rookie. Nuff said.

Date: April 29, 2009 01:49AM

Did you think that he would beat out Parcells and Ireland's own draft choice (Henne) for the #2 spot after we had Pennington?

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: April 29, 2009 05:07AM

1 QB who was put in an even tougher position than Beck, Jeff Komlo Detroit Lions 1979. Beck was a wasted pick nothing more. If he had game he would still be on our roster or someone elses.

Date: April 29, 2009 05:14AM

What was tougher about Komlo's situation?

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: April 29, 2009 08:38AM

either you know your nfl history or you do not the 1979 Lions go down as one of the worse teams in the NFL. Komlo was not a 2nd rnd pick from BYU but a 7th from Delaware. He was to be the #3 qb but Gary Danielson and his backup were both injured and Komlo was forced in. The lions running game, and oline were both worse than the phins. They had a good TE (David Hill?) so they might get a slite edge at receivers. Some phin fans need to get over their man crush w/ Beck think he is a great guy but just another overrated WAC/Mt West qb.

Date: April 29, 2009 09:05AM

Sorry, I don't remember the 1979 Lions at all. Maybe that situation was as bad; but the fact that you had to go back 30 years says something.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: April 29, 2009 01:35PM

The team did Beck a favor by cutting him early. Maybe he will catch on somewhere else. I'd be happy to see him resurrect his career somewhere else...

... but I'm not going to miss him.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 30, 2009 04:46PM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> Did you think that he would beat out Parcells and
> Ireland's own draft choice (Henne) for the #2 spot
> after we had Pennington?

RESPONSE: PRECISELY! Some of you rugged individualists seem to think that a man is always responsible for his own predicament. I don't buy it. This kid was put in a rough situation. Maybe, Parcells saw that a) the kid was not his kind of guy or b) the kid was not anybody's kind of guy. The future will tell.

The NFL is "not for long" if you are not any good. The future will tell about Beck. I join in wishing him success because I thought we had something when we drafted him.

If he doesn't work out somewhere else, I'll feel sorry for him. But I don't understand the absolute "venom" on the board by some people against him. You'd think he played every game and screwed us out of winning each time.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: May 01, 2009 06:19AM

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.