Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Why the Dolphins should draft OL or CB at 13.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why the Dolphins should draft OL or CB at 13.
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: April 07, 2016 06:41AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why the Dolphins should draft an O-lineman at 13.
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: April 07, 2016 07:27AM

I would not be upset if they brought in Conklin in the rnd 1. I agree w/ letting Albert go in 2017 and I think his injury is chronic and I expect him to spend time on the sideline in 2016. I would not play him at guard. He played tackle at MI St and that's what he would play for me. Moving guys around has not been successful for us and Im tired of it.

Saying that in round 2 I would draft Conklin's qb, Cook. Its time that we resolve our qb issue and find out if Tanne is the truth. The loser of the battle would give us trade bait in 2017.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: April 07, 2016 08:02AM

I'm totally down with that!
Then take the best RB left in the 2nd.

Date: April 07, 2016 08:33AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would not be upset if they brought in Conklin in
> the rnd 1. I agree w/ letting Albert go in 2017
> and I think his injury is chronic and I expect him
> to spend time on the sideline in 2016. I would not
> play him at guard. He played tackle at MI St and
> that's what he would play for me. Moving guys
> around has not been successful for us and Im tired
> of it.

It has not been successful for US because the guys we have are terrible no matter where you put them. Not putting Conklin at LG means he either sits for a year or you move one of our tackles to guard. Same difference. Put the best 5 on the field. Versatility is never a bad thing.

> Saying that in round 2 I would draft Conklin's qb,
> Cook. Its time that we resolve our qb issue and
> find out if Tanne is the truth. The loser of the
> battle would give us trade bait in 2017.

No thanks. That's too high for a team with other worries. Tannehill is our QB. I haven't given up on him and still believe he will have his best year as a Dolphin. Especially if you fix the line. We were 6-1 and RT had a 107 QB rating the games Pouncey, Albert and James were healthy.

Not to mention Cook has the same knocks that most people say Tannehill has PLUS he may have a personality/locker room issue. I think he's smart and may develop into a decent QB as he (if he) grows up but how will he face adversity? Like RG3? Ryan Mallett? We have too many other needs and if Tannehill tanks we will be drafting high next year anyway. Short of a trade we are riding with Tannehill until 2018 or taking a $10.4M cap hit in 2017.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: April 07, 2016 12:02PM

x

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: April 07, 2016 12:14PM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 07, 2016 03:40PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> x

Double x. We've been drafting supporting cast over an over. Time to draft a star at a star position. I know, I know, Ryan Tannehill at no. 8 in 2012 but I never considered him a top draft star (don't even now)...not even that year, when I would have been wrong but I would have settled for Brandon Weeden.

Date: April 08, 2016 06:55AM

I'm ok we it if if it was a standout lineman like zack Martin, but this draft is o lineman light . Dont really see anyone in the first round worthy of a first high rounder.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: April 08, 2016 09:30AM

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: April 08, 2016 11:33AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> mizzou15 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > x
>
>
> Double x. We've been drafting supporting cast
> over an over. Time to draft a star at a star
> position. I know, I know, Ryan Tannehill at no. 8
> in 2012 but I never considered him a top draft
> star (don't even now)...not even that year, when I
> would have been wrong but I would have settled for
> Brandon Weeden.

Unless a miracle happens on draft day, Chryen, it will be extremely difficult for Miami to draft a "star" at 13. They lost their chance to do that when they traded out of the #8 spot.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 08, 2016 11:36AM

Marino was a star and he was drafted in the 20th slot.

How about brady?

Date: April 09, 2016 01:18PM

Our only hope is that MikeyT can duplicate some of the success he had in NY in the draft. He was bad overall but did land some stud players....

Darrell Revis
Muhammad Wilkerson
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Nick Mangold

and some good players...

Dustin Keller
Matt Slauson
David Harris
Leon Washington

Miami hasn't drafted a player of Revis' Caliber or even Wilkerson for a long long time.

Date: April 09, 2016 03:25PM

Mike T drafted 2 players of that caliber last year in first two rounds.

Date: April 11, 2016 04:18AM

thegreathoo Wrote:
> Mike T drafted 2 players of that caliber last year
> in first two rounds.

Jordan Phillips, after only 4 starts, is of the same caliber of Darrell Revis.

We should draft a QB at 13 who has 2300 career yards and 15 td's.

Ok...whatever you say. drinking smiley

Date: April 11, 2016 03:09PM

Bro, we are talking abt Revis out of college, and traits compared to competition out of college. Like we are not going to compare Dan Marino after retirement to some qb in college! Cmon bruh! Its like you want to argue for the sake of argument, lets keep it reasonable and give posters the benefit of the reason!

Jordan Phillips's Clemson tape is better than any tape any of the DTs in this class have. Tape, meaning traits and skills a player shows in a game, competitive game. It is one of the best tapes you will ever see! Phillips's issue was consistency from tape to tape, nonetheless he has better teaits than any DT in this draft. Scouts interpreted that inconsistecy as lack of work ethic, which is why he slid in the draft. But Phillips and his coaching stuff assigned the perceived inconsistency to scheme--Phillips played 0 tech at times with a lot of doubles and contain responsibilities and the 3-tech at other times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 03:12PM by thegreathoo.

Date: April 11, 2016 03:17PM

We should always draft a qb Imo. The team should always be eyeing QBs.

We all know QBs out college lack skills, lack traits. Some less sone more. And by the way, it is not about production when it comes to college qbs and the draft. Otherwise Derrick Henry would be #1 overall pick, and Jadaveon Clowney would have been a fifth rd pick.

Date: April 12, 2016 04:52AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 12, 2016 10:34AM

Date: April 12, 2016 12:53PM

Joe,

I will rephrase it more specifically rather than saying it broadly because I see you want to argue broad philisophical points.

There isnt a DT in this draft who displays traits required of a DT like Jordan Phillips has:

Explosion of the ball
Reading the backfield
Rip move
Swim move
Spin move
Playing with leverage
Playing 0, 3, and 5 tech
All that at 6-5 330
Running down the field chasing rbs and wrs

There isnt one like that in this draft starting w Buckner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 12:55PM by thegreathoo.

Date: April 13, 2016 02:34AM

Date: April 13, 2016 12:43PM

I don't agree with Henry having issues in ZBS. If Gase calls a lot of power blocking, then yes, I see Henry having problems. In ZBS Henry will be alright. I feel Henry, with all his deficiencies, is a better pick for us than Conklin or a CB.

Conklin is good player, but he is just a dude, like any OL, like Zack Martin, good player but whatever, 4-12.

We don't need good players, we need play makers.

I am not a fan of Hargreaves, but that's another scheme decision. If they want to play press I don't see how he fits. If they want to play zone, or 2-deep, then he would fit better but still not an athlete I would covet at 13.

I said this already, I would not draft interior OL, interior DL or CB at 13, or in the second round. Those positions imo are of no consequence.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 13, 2016 01:47PM

The guys on NFL network ripped Derrick Henry apart last night on Path to the Draft, using video and multiple plays broken down on the illustrator... after seeing them show his weakness's and how his game doesn't translate to the NFL, I would not touch Henry.. ..Let alone in the 1st 2 rds with our other needs... We can get a running back in later rds... Not that I was a big Lamar Miller fan but we didnt draft him until the 4th rd....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: April 14, 2016 03:54AM

Date: April 14, 2016 07:21AM

I don't think we have play makers O, or that the offense is anywhere near set. The QB is a problem, We have trouble scoring and moving the ball, 26th in yards, 27th in points, Landry had 4 TDs on 165 targets which is abysmal efficiency, Stills is hardly involved. We have Ajayi starting at RB and Williams as a back up to split carries.

I don't see how you think we are set on O. We are more set on defense!

Date: April 14, 2016 08:43AM

Because the coaching/offense/play calling was abysmal/vanilla/predictable/gimmicky...

That's why we went from 11th in points (24.2) in 2014 to 27th in points (19.4) in 2015 in the same offense. The read option is going the way of the wildcat. It's a joke.

Look at Kaepernick, RG3, Philly...all eventually failed miserably after a short period of success.

Other teams figured it out and knew what routes receivers were running and knew we were going to abandon the run so they ran nickle all day long.

We are more set at defense? with these starters???....

Earl Mitchell, Koa Misi, Jamar Taylor, Bobby McCain, Andre Branch, ...LOL

It's pretty bad when Byron Maxwell & Jelani Jenkins are your better players.

We got Suh, Jones, Williams and Alonso...That's it. Wake may be back at some point but he is not s full time player....and who knows about Kiko?

They're set all right if you're going for the all-mediocre, all injured team.

That would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

QB is not the problem.

You will see when you get a look at an NFL offense and actual coaching this year.

Date: April 16, 2016 07:52AM

O line needs to be the Top priority going into the draft. This we agree.

While I wouldn't be upset with a #13 overall Olineman pick , He would have to contribute immediately at that position like a Zack Martin calibur type player. I just dont see that in any lineman this year. Guard or tackle anyways. I would prefer a Trade down . pick up extra picks in the middle rounds and grab a RB with our first pick. Then grab extra lineman because not only do we have holes, we have no depth.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: April 16, 2016 04:35PM

Huh? Both Stanley and Conklin are great candidates to be drafted and play guard for a year or two and then kick outside to tackle (even left tackle) later on.

In fact, as much as I want this team to get a playmaker at #13, I'm leaning towards them drafting one of the two and solidifying the OL so I can stop hearing excuses about how horrible our offense is because of the guard position. I also wouldn't mind the center from Alabama, another player that can play guard and then maybe move out to center when somebody finally realizes that Pouncey ain't worth his contract.

Date: April 16, 2016 10:30PM

I'll give you Stanley at #13 but I have Conklin as a second rounder. I dont see any 1st or even 2nd round caliber guards. For this reason I believe we should trade down and grab extra picks for the middle rounds.

Henry will be available late in the 1st going into the second. He will make a great 3rd down back and he can block almost as well as a Fullback at his size. We could probably grab conklin in the second and with extra picks grab guys like Garnett or Westerman as depth.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: April 17, 2016 08:42AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> I'll give you Stanley at #13 but I have Conklin
> as a second rounder. I dont see any 1st or even
> 2nd round caliber guards. For this reason I
> believe we should trade down and grab extra picks
> for the middle rounds.
>
> Henry will be available late in the 1st going into
> the second. He will make a great 3rd down back and
> he can block almost as well as a Fullback at his
> size. We could probably grab conklin in the second
> and with extra picks grab guys like Garnett or
> Westerman as depth.

There isn't a great deal at the OL position(s), so your theory for Conklin being there in the 2nd...All the draft pundits have him going somewhere in the first, but I believe they say he doesn't get past 20.

At 13, I believe he is a reach, and I agree with you in that he should go in the second round, but looks like he won't get that far.

Where Miami sits in the second round of the draft, I would not take Henry, unless he is sitting atop of the draft board. Good RBs can be had in the 3rd.

When Miami dropped to the 13th position, they pretty much took themselves out of the running for one of the top guys that would have been available at eight, so, agreed...if at all possible, Miami needs to trade down and get an extra second round pick. Gonna be tough tho, finding someone who wants to move up to the 13th and give up a second rounder.

Date: April 18, 2016 12:05PM

I agree . Finding a partner to get to 13 will be tough. We never seem to fall to the right spots in the draft to garner a trade. Be hard to find someone as stupid as Ireland was when he moved up for Jordan. Unless we have our sights set on someone as a must have....Dolphins should make a deal even if slightly undervalued to grab extra picks and move down. Henry and Conklin will be available late 1st early second. GREAT pick ups if we can move. Grab Conklin and hope Henry is there at our second round pick. Then pick up depth with the extra picks at Corner and Oline and MLB. One can day dream anyways. smiling smileysmileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.