Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Could we draft a QB in the first round in 2016?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Could we draft a QB in the first round in 2016?
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 21, 2016 08:48AM

There has been some discussion lately that the Dolphins could draft a QB in round 1 this year (Perhaps Paxton Lynch). What would happen next?

1. Our first round pick would not see the field in 2016 unless Tannehill gets hurt.
2. The new QB sits for a year and becomes the starter in 2017.
3. Tannehill is released or traded after 2016, which frees up huge money, due to the large paychecks Tannehill is due from 2017 through 2020.
4. The new regime gets their handpicked QB to build around.
5. Armed with early draft picks and hopefully a few compensatory picks in 2017, the new regime gets to rebuild in essentially two years.

I'm reminded of the Chargers getting Rivers in 2004 after 3 less-than-impressive seasons from Drew Brees (2001 to 2003). Granted Tannehill will never be Brees, but the precedent is that of a team drafting a QB early even while having a young, unproven starting QB on their roster.

The Chargers drafted Brees when he was 22. When he was 25, they made their moves to get Rivers.

Tannehill will be 28 when the 2016 season starts. The new regime could feel that they have seen enough to move on. They may feel that he has already hit his ceiling. Or that 2016 is his make or break year; and if he fails then they need to have a replacement already lined up.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Could we draft a QB in the first round in 2016?
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 09:08AM

Im not against drafting a qb in the first round........

Tannehill needs competition to push him to be better...

And if he tanks in 2016 we have another option at the qb position for the future.

Date: March 21, 2016 09:30AM

I am not against taking a QB either. At the very least, Tannehill needs competition. At the most, we have a new starter in 2017 or sooner.

Think about it:

We're not taking a WR. We already have 3 early picks invested in that position.
Elliot is the only RB worth a 1st round pick, and he may not be available at 1-13.
There may not be an edge rusher worth the 13th overall pick.
I hope we don't take a guard in round 1.
CB is a possibility; but it would have to be a value pick, not just a need pick.
Myles Jack would be very tempting if he is there at 1-13; but that may be unlikely.

Date: March 21, 2016 09:57AM

And for the ones that dont agree...

We been drafting OL RECEIVER CB in the first round forever.....and where has it lead us?

Until we have a qb thats great we aint going to get nowhere.

Keep trying until you get the right one.

IMO we dont have the right one yet but i will give tannehill the benefit of the doubt for now.

One more year and thats it.

Posted by: Mike8272 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 10:28AM

I don't think we'll draft a QB in the first round. Tannehill is not the only reason we've not been above .500 or made the play offs. There are a lot of reasons why we've not been above .500 or made the play offs, and to be honest, Tannehill is the least of our problems. If we solidify the O-Line, bring in a RB, and improve the defense, we'll win more games and Tannehill is good enough to be the QB to get us back into the play offs. The question then will be whether he's the guy to win in the play offs or be the next Andy Dalton...

For me, a QB in round one is a wasted pick because we couldn't sit the guy as Tannehill's backup for four years without being the laughing stock of the league. By drafting a QB in the first round we are essentially giving up on Tannehill because teams don't draft first round QBs to ride the bench and not become the starter. I don't think we are ready to give up on Tannehill, and to be honest, that's the right choice because he's enough to be a starter in this league. He may never be elite, his ceiling might be borderline or above average, but right now he's the guy we should be backing and building around.

Plus, if Tannehill came out of college this year he would arguably be the top QB prospect. Unless a team wanted a more polished QB like Goff, but as a prospect Tannehill arguably was/is better than the QBs in this draft.

Date: March 21, 2016 10:36AM

Since he is been in the nfl yes he has stats whatever but at crunch time......4th quarter comeback.....All tannehill has proven is that he is a scrub.

Date: March 21, 2016 10:36AM

Tannehill is only about 8 months younger than Dalton. If you're saying that Dalton is not a guy to win a Super Bowl then I'm saying Tannehill sure isn't.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: March 21, 2016 10:49AM

No F-ing way do we pick a Q in the 1st round!

We have bigger voids of talent in other key positions other that QB, that need to be addressed with the BPA at positions like: CB, RB, MLB, S, DL, even TE. Not necessarily in that order, but an immediate impact player.

If we go after a Q in the 3rd or later, OK.

Date: March 21, 2016 10:57AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tannehill is only about 8 months younger than
> Dalton. If you're saying that Dalton is not a guy
> to win a Super Bowl then I'm saying Tannehill sure
> isn't.

This isn't an age thing. Andy Dalton has helped lead the Bengals to the play offs five straight seasons, but he's 0-4 in the play offs, and didn't play in this year's play off game. His regular season stats are generally impressive and so are the number of wins the Bengals have put up each season. But when it comes to the play offs he falls apart and plays poorly. He chokes.

Compare that to Joe Flacco. His regular season stats are pretty average, but come play off time he's different. He has won a road play off game in each of his first five trips to the play offs. He's tied for the most TD passes in a single post season. He has the most road play off wins of any quarterback. And the year he won the super
Bowl he was elite in the play offs. For the most part, Flacco is clutch in the play offs.

That was my point with Tannehill. He's never been to the play offs. So we don't know if we have the next Andy Dalton (ie chokes in the play offs) or the next Joe Flacco (ie clutch in the play offs). We will not know until he gets there. Sure his regular season performances when we need him haven't always been what we desire, but he's not the only reason we lost those games. Unlike the two QBs I mention in this post he's not got a borderline elite to elite defense, he's not had as good a supporting cast as them, and his team has never been as well coached or been on a team as well run as them. He's been stuck on a mediocre team, run by people that haven't always done a good job. Put him on a better team and he'd have done better in his first four seasons. That's why I think he is going to be our quarterback for the next couple or so seasons. If Gase can work his magic, Tannehill might help us win. If Gase can't work his magic, we need to blow it up and start again.

Date: March 21, 2016 11:02AM

" We have bigger needs at other positions"

We been saying that since marino left.....And where has it lead us?

Until we have a great qb we going to keep missing playoffs.

Tannehill is not it.

Date: March 21, 2016 11:26AM

I think Tannehill has demonstrated enough inability to make clutch plays in the regular season to conclude that we would see the same result in the post season. Maybe he will turn that around in 2016. Nobody knows the answer to that. I guess we will find out what management thinks of Tannehill in about a month.

When you said he could be the next Dalton, I thought you were implying that he was much younger than Dalton; but they are almost the same age. So my point is that if we know who Dalton is at this age then we probably know who Tannehill is also.

Ask yourself this: when was the last time we saw a great NFL QB that wasn't great before age 28?

Remember, he came into the league at 24. Going into his 5th year at age 28, it's high time he becomes a big reason why we win... not someone who gets a pass because the team around him wasn't good enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 11:27AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Date: March 21, 2016 11:32AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> " We have bigger needs at other positions"
>
>
> We been saying that since marino left.....And
> where has it lead us?
>
>
> Until we have a great qb we going to keep missing
> playoffs.
>
> Tannehill is not it.

Tannehill isn't the reason we've missed the play offs. We spent four seasons under an inept head coach, and our front office hasn't been that good either at building a play off caliber roster. The problems with this team start at the top, and we've got a new head coach, plus someone with a different approach to roster building in charge. Let's see if they can turn this team into a play off team.

I assume you want, or at least would be open to drafting a first round QB. Tell you what, I think the Browns and 49ers would rather have Tannehill than one of the prospects in this draft. I'm sure the Broncos would rather have Tannehill than any of the QBs in this draft. But I guess we should be open to a first round QB, but like people have said, we've got more pressing issues than drafting another QB. We need to give Tannehill the chance to work under a better offense mind in Gase, someone who has the guts to let Tannehill have more say and control at the line. If he fails year one, draft a new QB and let Tannehill go. Who knows, Gase might actually help Tannehill achieve his potential...

Date: March 21, 2016 11:43AM

I like Tannehill. I really do. I've been cheering for him to succeed every year. But I see a QB who stares down his WRs; doesn't go through his read progressions well; and is only moderately accurate. Maybe he has been as much of the problem as the coaches. Remember, Lazor was supposed to be the coach that would maximize Tannehill's talent.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 11:50AM

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: March 21, 2016 11:52AM

I'm open to Lynch at 13. I am also open to Nate Sudfeld, but I think Lynch is more athletic and I'd rather take care of QB in the first round and then focus on the rest of the roster with the remaining picks.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 12:49PM

I like Sudfeld too, I have seen him do everything that Lynch and Cook do. They say he lacks consistency hmmm. I think we should go for him in rnd 5. I would not mind if we took him in 4. He appears to be rising.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: March 21, 2016 02:05PM

Date: March 21, 2016 02:10PM

jsm08 Wrote:
> I said it in another thread that I wouldn't be
> surprised if we dealt tannehill and denver being
> the likely landing spot.
>
> I don't want paxton lynch. they compare him to
> tannehill.
>
> If we solidify the O-Line, bring in a RB, and
> improve the defense, we'll win more games and
> Tannehill is good enough to be the QB to get us
> back into the play offs.
>
> I think it would be easier to find a better QB.

Like who?

To get Wentz or Goff would require trading for the Titans pick, and frankly neither are worth doing it for because they aren't must not miss prospects. They would have been third and fourth off the board in the last draft, and the year we got Tannehill, they'd arguably have been the fourth and fifth QBs off the board.

I guess we could look at Lynch, Cook, Hackenberg or one of the other project QBs. I wouldn't mind drafting one to develop and see what happens,maybe we find someone like AJ Mccarron who looks like he could be a starting caliber QB. However, all of the other project QBs have their own question marks over their play and upside.

For me, I don't mind adding a project QB, but day one or two - no thanks. We need to use those picks build the roster. We aren't going to draft a guy and have a competition. Tannehill is the guy until he fails under Gase. At which point we'll start again, so maybe a project is worthwhile adding in the mid to late rounds as insurance, but in reality there isn't a must not miss QB in this draft. In some ways this draft reminds me of the 2013 QB class, and we all know how that turned out.

Date: March 21, 2016 02:33PM

I am not sure we should consider Tannehill the guy until he fails. Gase didn't draft him and has no ties to him. If anything, he may want his success tied to a guy that he chooses.

Also, Gase may consider 4 years of tape to be enough evidence of what Tannehill can and cannot do. That said, if Gase and others feel that Tannehill is not the player to lead them to a Super Bowl then they will draft a new QB, and they will probably do it early when the QBs on the board aren't projects. Because if Tannehill isn't their guy, the guy that they choose will need to be more than a project.

Just out of curiosity, those of you who want Tannehill to be the QB of the future, is it because you don't want to take a step back before you take a step forward? Or is it because you truly believe that he is a QB that can lead a team to the a championship? If it's the latter, what has he done to make you feel that way? I would love to see it. I just don't.

Last thought, I am reminded of another QB that put up similar numbers to Tannehill. He had some success in the league, but his inconsistency and mistakes made it clear that he was not a QB that was going to lead his team to championships. So when he was 28, the team invested in a new QB. They were fortunate enough to land a 4 time SB winning QB in round 6. If we think that such a QB exists out there and that 31 other teams will pass on him 5 times then fine. Let's wait until round 6. But if we think that such a QB exists and we do not grab him in round 1 then we will be making a mistake, because there aren't that many late round success stories for QBs in today's NFL.

Date: March 21, 2016 03:16PM

I am not against taking a step back to get a star quarterback. Problem is this draft does not have a star prospect coming out. If there was the Titans' would be cashin in like the Rams did when RG3 came out with Andrew Luck. Last year teams tried to trade up but the Bucs and Titans had none of it. Reason? Two potential star prospects came out. Unfortunately the likes of Wentz, Goff, and co are in the same bracket as the EJ Manuels and Geno Smiths from what I've seen - talented, but not someone to fall in love with.

Is there a future star QB in college ready to come out in the next year or so? Maybe, if there is we need to monitor them, but generally that would mean tanking in the hope they declare for the draft you expect. If they do, great; if you don't, you're screwed. Imagine if Cam Newton played another year (if he could?) the Panthers would have missed their franchise QB. What if Winston and/or Mariota stayed in college, the Bucs and Titans would have been in trouble or had to stick with Glennon and Mettenberger. I guess the issue with giving up on Tannehill is a lack of a must not miss prospect or two, and the other fact that if we tank there's no guarantee a stud QB is going to be there for us in the draft.

As for why I believe or think that Tannehill can be the guy, think Joe Flacco. Regular season he's average. He doesn't stand out. One week he's amazing. The next he can have three turnovers and look terrible. But come post season and he's a clutch quarterback with the most road wins in play off history, and jointly holds the record for most TDs thrown and also most thrown without an INT in the play offs. He has a super bowl ring. He's a star in post season and average in regular season. Maybe Tannehill can be the same if we build a team good enough to support him and get him there?

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: March 21, 2016 03:29PM

Adam Gase had his choice of Wentz or Goff, Sam Bradford or Eli Manning. He chose Ryan Tannehill. Don't think for a minute that the QB didn't weigh into the equation as he made his choice.

Wright or wrong, this regime is behind Tannehill.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 04:49PM

Get Sudfeld in the 4th and he'll be starting by week 6.

So tired of the excuses for our 5th year QB. He had the luxury of having his college coach as OC his first 2 years. Lazors offense was predicated on what throws tannehill was good at.

Where he lacks is instincts. Someone said had seattle drafted him he may have a ring. That's an insult to Russell Wilson. His oline isn't very good either but he has a knack for keeping plays alive and utilitzing his feet to make plays. Tannehill does not and you can't coach that.

If we don't draft another Qb this year we will be reaching in round one next year for our next savior.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 21, 2016 07:18PM

Change the offensive scheme to a read option. Problem solved.

Date: March 21, 2016 08:45PM

Sam Sam....back on the wagon already?

We didn't draft a QB in the first round when we needed one......for almost a decade. Oline is the key. Bad news is they dont seem to be doing anything about it. Not yet anyway. I hope they trade down the 13 pick and pick up additional mid rounders. Suck up Olinemen there. If they pick right we can land some depth at the very least. Possibly a starter or 2.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 22, 2016 06:54AM

"Tannehill is the least of our problems."

I don't think T-hill is the least of our problems, but I don't think he's enough of a problem to spend a first round pick on the position at this time.

Rick

Date: March 22, 2016 12:30PM

4000 + yds, if I said we would have a 4000 yd QB 10 yrs ago I would need adult diapers for all of you.He's not the problem, look around the NFL , some teams would kill for a classy athletic back like Tannehill.

Problem was a POS like Philbin giving him no support.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 22, 2016 01:03PM

jsm08 Wrote:
> Where he lacks is instincts. Someone said had
> seattle drafted him he may have a ring. That's an
> insult to Russell Wilson. His oline isn't very
> good either but he has a knack for keeping plays
> alive and utilitzing his feet to make plays.
> Tannehill does not and you can't coach that.
>
> If we don't draft another Qb this year we will be
> reaching in round one next year for our next
> savior.

Seattle have an elite defense that has been one of the top few in the league for every season Wilson has been in the league. That defense is a big reason why they won a Super Bowl and have consistently competed for one during Wilson's time in Seattle. That is not to say that Wilson hasn't been a big factor as well, but take that defense away and give him our defense and I doubt they would have won a Super Bowl or even been a real contender for one.

They also have an excellent head coach in Pete Carroll. From his coaching staff they have seen two defensive coordinators become head coaches in this league (Gus Bradley and the Jags, Dan Quinn and the Falcons), and their OC has interviewed for head coaching jobs as well. When was the last time one of our coordinators got hired to a head coaching gig in the NFL or even college? It certainly hasn't happened during Tannehill's time here...

And then there is also the factor that they have an excellent general manager who has helped build that roster. They have allowed key starters to leave in free agency and managed to replace them and still remain an elite defense. They have put decent enough talent around Wilson on the offensive side, granted his O-Line is poor like you say, but overall Seattle are a very well built team with excellent depth.

So when I say Tannehill could have won in Seattle, that is simply on the basis that he would have an elite defense backing him up, an elite running back in Marshawn Lynch, an elite coaching staff, and an elite general manager putting play makers on both sides of the ball. In that situation he could certainly have won a Super Bowl, or at least competed for Super Bowls. That is not to take anything away from Russell Wilson and what he has achieved and done for the Seattle Seahawks - far from it. I am simply saying that Seattle was pretty much the perfect landing spot for a rookie quarterback, and a far cry from what we was at that time and have been during the past four seasons. As good as Wilson is, he wouldn't have achieved as much here. And while Tannehill may have not achieved in Seattle what Wilson achieved in Seattle, he would have been in a far better situation to develop and win, and that may have helped him become a "better" quarterback.

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: March 22, 2016 02:09PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> 4000 + yds, if I said we would have a 4000 yd QB
> 10 yrs ago I would need adult diapers for all of
> you.
>
> Problem was a POS like Philbin giving him no
> support.

No support huh? Yet RT had 4000 yards on 600 attempts. Philbin gave him all the support in the world.

Date: March 23, 2016 03:10AM

Widereceivers were open left and right and he couldnt hit them.

Date: March 23, 2016 03:46AM

A good QB makes everyone around him better. He doesn't get a pass when the entire offense performs below par.

The Packers offense was in terrible shape last year. The o-line was decimated by injuries all year, Lacy was borderline morbidly obese, Nelson was hurt, Cobb struggled without Nelson, etc. Assuming two equal QBs, the overall offensive situation was much worse in GB than in Miami last year. However, the QB situation was not equal. GB went 10-6, won a playoff game and lost in the divisional round in OT. Not a bad year for a team decimated by injuries. That's what a winning QB can do.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.