HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Biggest Impact From Draft
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Biggest Impact From Draft
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: January 28, 2016 09:58AM

Several mocks out there have Miami taking Myles Jack with the 8th pick. Still much to learn from the combine, pro-day, etc but I see him being listed everywhere from 6'1 225 to 245 lbs.

245 lbs is ok but 225 is too light to hold up as an NFL MLB. 20 lbs doesn't appear to be much but who knows what he actually played at with UCLA. He is also coming off injury. That's two strikes right off the bat.

He would seem to be more of a weak side LB. The spot that is arguable the strongest we have with Jenkins, who had a down year but we need to fill the weakest holes first.

Shaq Thompson was the popular opinion last year but he went to Carolina. He was around the same size as Jack. The Panthers already had a stud MLB and WLB in Thomas Davis so they inserted him at SLB. Shaq was also taken toward the bottom of the round (25), not as high as 8. I think that's a little steep for a SLB.

It's a shame that Jaylon Smith got hurt so bad, so late. I still see some people mocking him to us. He has the size and the skills but I would not roll the dice that high. We need impact, not a 1st round guy in the trainers room like we had last year.

Lastly, in the first round is likely Reggie Ragland, but I hear he wants to be a pass rusher. He has the size (6'2 260) but I doubt he has the speed to distinguish himself as a three down player at LB. Looks like a 4.7 guy. If so, he will drop to low round 1 or 2.

If Miami doesn't find another quality DT, it won't matter much who we get to play LBer. Look how far Jelaney Jenkins dropped in one year. I blame the DL for that, mostly.

Here is who most are projecting to go before Miami picks....

Laremy Tunsil, Jared Goff, Joey Bosa, Jalen Ramsey, Ronnie Stanley, Laquon Treadwell & Vernon Hargreaves III.

If those guys are gone, who do you pick? The sad part is that's right where the drop-off starts....ONCE AGAIN, we are on the outside looking in eye popping smiley

I would say unless someone rises drastically, I would look at Mackensie Alexander or one of the many DT's projected to go in round 1.

Who would you take?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Biggest Impact From Draft
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 28, 2016 10:12AM

Coming off injury?

No thanks.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 28, 2016 10:21AM

So for what reason would we draft him, Joe? He sounds a lot smaller than Dion Jordan, who we dreamed would be the second coming of Jason Taylor.

He hardly seems like a Zach Thomas either.

So why would we go to him over an offensive lineman, granted we have been failing and failing time again at that position also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2016 10:22AM by ChyrenB.

Date: January 28, 2016 11:05AM

I thought I made a point AGAINST drafting him according what we "know" right now when I said he had "two strikes against him". Things could certainly change if he shows up at the combine at 250 and runs a 4.4 40. What we do know is that he is very talented, fly around and makes plays...most say much more talented than Shaq.

So...I don't know that I would draft him. That's also why I said I would look at the CB and DT's. The top two linemen are off the board so...it may be a reach to go that route.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 28, 2016 11:54AM

If Ramsey or Hargreaves are there I take one of them.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 28, 2016 02:02PM

I thought Myles Jack was an outside linebacker, is he projected to play at MLB at the next level? It would blow my mind if we draft a MLB with the 8th position. It has been a really long time and rarely does a MLB go that high.. Hell even Luke Kuechly didnt go until 9. And he is the best in the business.. Normally you can get a stud MLB in the 2nd or late first... Ray Lewis went pick 26. Which is why I think we wait until our 2nd pick to address the MLB position.. And then with the 3rd pick we should look to address the guard position...

I think we should go CB in the 1st rd, whoever the powers that be think we should take... Either the kids from Florida State, Florida or Clemson.. There is a good chance, 1 or even 2 of them might be gone by pick 8...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 28, 2016 04:03PM

A. Robinson DT AL Energetic disruptive and destructive put him besides Suh and we collapse OLines. 2 dynamite DTs protect our mlb, force the opposing offense into blocking mismatches on our ends and help out our corners with increased pressure on the qb.

Carolina had tackle problems several years ago and took care of that by drafting Lotuleie and Short in rnds 1 & 2 in 2013. Looks like that worked out pretty good for them.

2> Cravens OLB USC
3> Theus OT UGA

Date: January 28, 2016 04:20PM

Mayock said he saw 5, 1st round DT's at the senior bowl alone. Could be a deep crop.

Cravens is another tweener like Myles Jack. 6'1 225

Date: January 29, 2016 04:43AM

Yes a starting DT might be found in the 4/5 rnd of this draft. Saying that I still think Robinson is the best and makes the best partner for SUH.

I play Cravens at WLB. We need energy on our D and Cravens and Robinson are high energy guys. Sometimes I want to pass on Cravens but something about that energy brings me back to him. He and Jenkins are known for their coverage abilities. Again with a good pair of DTs collapsing the Oline's center and pressing the qb their coverage skills get even better.

Date: January 29, 2016 04:58AM

So what do you do with Jenkins if you put Cravens at WLB?

JJ does not do well stacking and shedding, playing the run. Not sure he is a great fit as a SLB. SLB is a two down player vs the run typically.

I think we are better off keeping him there and protecting him with another DT (and DE) who can occupy blockers, find a true MLB.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 29, 2016 05:16AM

We paid SUh and drafted a DT in the second rd last year, you guys really think we are going to draft another DT and do it in the first RD?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: January 29, 2016 05:44AM

Probably not but only because that was Tannenbaum's draft pick. He forced his hand on that one. I don't see much from Phillips that tells me he can be a full time starter. He was touted coming out of college as a run stuffing nose tackle who didn't offer much as a pass rusher. He proved to be the opposite. He was better in the passing game than he was in the run game. That's why we should sign a run stuffer like Damon Harrison and they can use Phillips as the alternate.

I think they are also likely to take an edge rusher if the other guys are gone.

Date: January 29, 2016 07:24AM

Jenkins is a free agent in 2017. While I like him he has not been a pro bowl player. Cravens has pro bowl potential. In 2016 I would play Cravens situation-ally at OLB SS. Then as things look decide on keeping Jenkins in 2017. As I said Im up and down q/ Cravens as we do have Jenkins and I like what I saw from Hewitt.

Phillips had moments in 2015 but he showed no signs of being that pro bowl type difference maker next to Suh. So yes I would take Robinson in the first.

Not sure there are many true MLBs in this draft.

Date: January 29, 2016 08:25AM

I think the new staff will have to assess Jenkins. It's just a little strange that he was flying all over the place in 2014 (as a 1st year starter) with Starks and Odrick in front of him and then when Earl Mitchel replaced those guys as the starter, he disappeared.

He was one of the highest rated LB's in the league in 2014.

2014: 110 tackles, 1 PD, 2 FF, 3.4 sacks
2015: 71 tackles, 3 PD, 1 FF, 0 sacks

Cravens may have Pro Bowl potential but that's a bigger projection coming from NCAA. If it were that sure he would be rated up there with Myles Jack, Jaylon Smith. It's still early in the process though.

Jenkins looked like he was on his way to the PB in 2014. That's NFL film compared to NCAA film.

Date: February 04, 2016 07:46AM

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: February 04, 2016 12:40PM

He was poppin' mollies. Had been since high school. It got him kicked out of the big 10.

He was draft eligible but took a year off to get his shit together and Urban hooked him up with his new school.

He was a stud at OSU and dominated the lesser comp he played last year.

I'd still take ramsey or hargreaves if there at 8. If not Spence would be just fine.

Date: February 13, 2016 08:44AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 15, 2016 04:55AM

Already injury prone!

Date: February 15, 2016 06:00AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 16, 2016 01:42AM

Date: February 16, 2016 03:18AM

Date: February 16, 2016 08:28AM

I think we will target 1 or 2 of these guys.

Buckner, DeForest DE 6'7" 281 Oregon 7.3
Bosa, Joey DE 6'6" 275 Ohio St. 6.7
Robinson, A'Shawn DT 6'4" 312 Alabama 6.5
Billings, Andrew NT 6'2" 310 Baylor 6.4
Dodd, Kevin DE 6'5" 275 Clemson 6.3
Nkemdiche, Robert DT 6'4" 296 Mississippi 6.3
Lawson, Shaq DE 6'3" 270 Clemson 6.2
Jones, Chris DT 6'6" 308 Mississippi St. 6.2
Reed, Jarran DT 6'3" 311 Alabama 6.1
Rankins, Sheldon DT 6'1" 304 Louisville 6.1
Ogbah, Emmanuel DE 6'4" 275 Oklahoma St. 6.1

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 16, 2016 12:14PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think we will target 1 or 2 of these guys.
>
>
> Buckner, DeForest DE 6'7" 281 Oregon 7.3
> Bosa, Joey DE 6'6" 275 Ohio St. 6.7
> Robinson, A'Shawn DT 6'4" 312 Alabama 6.5
> Billings, Andrew NT 6'2" 310 Baylor 6.4
> Dodd, Kevin DE 6'5" 275 Clemson 6.3
> Nkemdiche, Robert DT 6'4" 296 Mississippi 6.3
> Lawson, Shaq DE 6'3" 270 Clemson 6.2
> Jones, Chris DT 6'6" 308 Mississippi St. 6.2
> Reed, Jarran DT 6'3" 311 Alabama 6.1
> Rankins, Sheldon DT 6'1" 304 Louisville 6.1
> Ogbah, Emmanuel DE 6'4" 275 Oklahoma St. 6.1

Out of that list, I don't think Bosa nor Buckner will be there at 8.

Date: February 17, 2016 09:30AM

Date: February 18, 2016 05:18AM

captkoi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JoeFootball Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think we will target 1 or 2 of these guys.
> >
> >
> > Buckner, DeForest DE 6'7" 281 Oregon 7.3
> > Bosa, Joey DE 6'6" 275 Ohio St. 6.7
> > Robinson, A'Shawn DT 6'4" 312 Alabama 6.5
> > Billings, Andrew NT 6'2" 310 Baylor 6.4
> > Dodd, Kevin DE 6'5" 275 Clemson 6.3
> > Nkemdiche,
> Robert DT 6'4" 296 Mississippi 6.3
> > Lawson, Shaq DE 6'3" 270 Clemson 6.2
> > Jones, Chris DT 6'6" 308 Mississippi
> St. 6.2
> > Reed, Jarran DT 6'3" 311 Alabama 6.1
> > Rankins, Sheldon DT 6'1" 304 Louisville 6.1
> > Ogbah, Emmanuel DE 6'4" 275 Oklahoma St. 6.1
>
> **************************************************
> *********
>
> Out of that list, I don't think Bosa nor Buckner
> will be there at 8.

1 Ten: Laremy Tunsil
2 Cle: Jared Goff
3 LA: Carson Wentz (trade)
4 Dal: Jalen Ramsey
5 Jax: Ezekial Elliott
6 Bal: DeForest Buckner
7 SF: Myles Jack
8 Mia: Joey Bosa

because Jax doesn't need a DE since they have Odrick at SDE and Fowler coming back to play Leo.

Bal and SF run a 3-4 and I don't think they will see Bosa as a 3-4 DE or OLB even though they could use an edge rusher. Noah Spence could be an option but that leaves us to choose between Jack and Bosa.

Dallas just drafted Randy Gregory and have a 2nd year guy they like on the other end with 8 sacks.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 20, 2016 05:26PM

I have seen Cravens since High School and he is the real deal Multi position athlete. I really see him as a Polamalu like safety. Would love to land him in the second but think Pittsburgh, Cincy and Seattle will be looking

Date: February 25, 2016 03:55AM

Is Cravens as fast as Polamalu? He ran a 4.3

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: February 25, 2016 02:34PM

I doubt Jack will be available.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: February 25, 2016 09:13PM

Great to see the LB discussion, it's been a deficit on this team for the longest time. I hope someone is added that can eventually become our "QB" on the D.

Date: February 27, 2016 09:20AM

Myles Jack weighed in at 6'1 245 and teams are looking at him as MLB. He should be 100& by his pro day next month.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.