HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Wiping the slate clean?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Wiping the slate clean?
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 21, 2015 05:33AM

The entire team should be scrapped. It needs to be re-tooled. But realistically, is either possible? How could any franchise cut 80% of its players? What about 60%, 50%, 40%, or 30%?

It's more difficult to cut players than it is to fire an entire coaching staff.

With the Dolphins winning 5 games and several teams with worse records, how many other franchises will be firing and hunting for new coaches and better players? There will be quite a few firings coming shortly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wiping the slate clean?
Posted by: dgfred ()
Date: December 21, 2015 06:38AM

It works for me in Madden... but other teams want my players like Misi, Jones, and a couple others. I get a pile of draft picks, and get rid of players 30 and above. Draft a top QB with one of those picks, build up the roster thru the draft (maybe a couple of gems)
and add a couple of strong OL thru FA. Then again... FAs like to come to my Madden Dolphin team with the right money. They don't seem to do that in real life tho. Dang it.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 21, 2015 06:45AM

Dump everyone including coaches and tannenbaum and stArt over. I'd prefer 3-5 win seasons over the next few years with hope for the future over what we've got now and have had for a decade. Team is a laughingstock

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 21, 2015 08:06AM

Yep! It's time for yet another PURGE, just like I wrote about last year.

We can clear 25 in cap space by releasing old players and dead weight.

Hire Wade Phillips as head coach. He can fix our defense in one year with the right moves....and bring in a good OC with an established system.

Retain Campbell as TE coach with assistant HC title.

Sign a DT like Fairley to play next to Suh.

Draft a MLB (Jaylon Smith) or CB in the first round. May even need to draft a LT and kick Albert inside and restructure. He's too injury prone to depend on for a full season.

Sign Osemele to play LG. Draft another one in mid rounds. Drop Thomas, Turner and Douglas on the depth chart and make them compete for a roster spot.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 21, 2015 10:47AM

Quote: How could any franchise cut 80% of its players?

Sell the team.

Start over from scratch just like the browns did. They are now the ravens.

They enjoyed a superbowl win after they started from scratch.

I take one superbowl win.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 21, 2015 10:53AM

The Browns didn't sell anything. The relocated to Baltimore and it took 3 years for Cleveland to get a team.

Much like the Colts did to Baltimore in the middle of the night. Baltimore had to wait years to get a team.

And last I looked the Browns have never won a super bowl.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 21, 2015 10:59AM

Date: December 21, 2015 11:18AM

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 22, 2015 07:08AM

In my best Elaine Benes impression:

Do you know what's going on here? Can't you see what's happened? I've become the Browns.

Don't say that.

It's true. I'm the Browns! I'm the Browns!

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: December 22, 2015 07:26AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> quote: "Sell the team."
>
> Most sensible solution I've heard yet.
>
>
> JUST DO IT, ROSS!!!!!

That would help SOOOO much. There has got to be a billionaire out there that is a die-hard fan of the Miami Dolphins and not just a fan of owning a football team.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 22, 2015 09:44AM

There's probably a couple of billionaire Dolphins fans out there, they can be spotted by the brown garbage bags over their heads, a la the "A-ints." Nobody is going to buy this mess. Ross won't take a huge business loss.

Time to scrap the lousy players, cut our losses and start fresh with new front office management. Patchwork fixes haven't worked.

In an old This Old House, Bob Villa was inspecting some aged NE home, and after checking things out, said it could not be renovated, but should be knocked down. Renovate the Dolphins? Nope. Knock it down to the foundation and start over.

Ross isn't going to sell. He will invest and get the team competitive and then sell it when things are prospering. We can only hope.

Date: December 22, 2015 10:03AM

Yeah colonel the huge question is who is going to buy this mess.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 22, 2015 10:54AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Yeah colonel the huge question is who is going to
> buy this mess.

Be careful what you wish for, my concern is that Ross sells the team to his junior partner who runs Related Group down here in South Florida, Jorge Perez.. He probably has a bigger ego then Ross and would be unpredictable as owner IMO.. The only good thing is, he actually lives here... I would like a clean break from the whole Ross empire and way of doing things, not bring in his junior partner...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 22, 2015 10:57AM

Crowder52 Wrote:

> Be careful what you wish for, my concern is that
> Ross sells the team to his junior partner who runs
> Related Group down here in South Florida, Jorge
> Perez.. He probably has a bigger ego then Ross and
> would be unpredictable as owner IMO.. The only
> good thing is, he actually lives here... I would
> like a clean break from the whole Ross empire and
> way of doing things, not bring in his junior
> partner...

At some point, you gotta get rid of what you have and hope to get something better as opposed to sticking with bad because you fear you might get worse.

When it comes to either A) Campbell cool smiley Tannehill or 3) Ross, I'd take my chances with getting rid of Ross.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 22, 2015 11:20AM

I hear you, I do not like Ross at all, I just worry about Perez being much of the same or god forbid worse... But I do think if Ross sells the team soon, there is a good chance that Perez will be the buyer.. He is about 8-9 years younger then Ross, worth about half the money as Ross at 3.1 billion, he is spanish and has real roots here locally... I guess it couldnt get worse, at least that is what I think, but you never know... Perez is a real piece of work and known as an Ego maniac down here...
When I was at the monday night game, Perez was sitting there 3 seats down from Ross, almost like a man waiting for his turn... hahaha....

Ross seems to be losing it, and owning this team has turned into a nightmare for him IMO.. His legacy is being tarnished by owning this team and what he has done to it... It is hard to be more hated then Jeff Loria down here, but Ross is consistently making steam in that direction... Every single person I know who still owns season tickets has either contemplated or actually got rid of their tickets in the last couple weeks...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: December 22, 2015 04:40PM

crowder you are pretty plugged into the miami business community so you may be on to something there.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 22, 2015 07:22PM

Play Logan Thomas the last two, you might be surprised

Date: December 23, 2015 05:34AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Play Logan Thomas the last two, you might be
> surprised

works for me.

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: December 23, 2015 03:15PM

In order for us to mimic the Browns situation, we'd have to move the team to San Diego or St Louis, rename the team something different, wait 3 years, reestablish the team as the Miami Dolphins and watch as they had two winning seasons over the next 17 years, gained a great nickname like "the Factory of Sadness" and watch as the team that was formerly the Dolphins win two SB championships in that time.

I'll pass on that.

As far as wiping the slate clean, yes. I'm all for it. I'd keep Suh and Jones on defense and the receivers - Stills, Parker and Landry on offense.

Everybody else we would either let walk, release, or trade for whatever we can get for them.

Because quite frankly, those are the only players that are actually worth keeping. Treasure keeps talking about all the money spent on defense, well, it's actually equal. And all that money on offense? It's tied up in Albert, Pouncey, Tannehill and Campbell.

We're paying lots of money for pieces here and there and getting next to no return. They're also all unlikely to be playing here at all, or performing at a high level in 5 years which is how long it will take to build a consistent championship contender.

The Browns the most (or 2nd to us) invested in money and draft picks in their OL than any other team in the NFL - and they (like us), suck. On the other hand, the Steelers, who have probably the NFL's best offense, are doing so with their highest paid OL (Pouncey) on IR.

So even Pouncey, our only Pro Bowl player, isn't untouchable in my world. If we can get a decent pick for him, I'd move him and his contract in an instant. And by decent, I mean I'd take a 3rd for him.

Yes, you need talent evaluators to use the picks wisely and you need a coaching staff that can actually maximize the talent that is selected. But let's face it, if we don't get both of those things we aren't going anywhere anyway.

No, none of this is realistic. We can't just get rid of all of our players except for the five that I mentioned. But that's the philosophy that I'd be using to rebuild this team. Nobody is untouchable and the only real assets we have are the five players I mentioned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.