Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Mike Shula next Miami Dolphins head coach?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Mike Shula next Miami Dolphins head coach?
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 08, 2015 09:10AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mike Shula next Miami Dolphins head coach?
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 08, 2015 09:30AM

I vote yes not because he has his father's genes but because he has proven himsel as one of the best OCs in the game and has HC experience. Shula could also get experience positional coaches in here that knows what it takes to develop nfl talent. That is our biggest problem our positon coaches have very little nfl experience. Campbell is the only one that knows how to develop nfl talent. Saying that I would offer Campbell his old position if he wanted it(with a raise).

Date: December 08, 2015 09:33AM

If campbell wants to keep working in the NFL he will keep the job as the Tends coach.

I don't think anybody is going to offer him a job as a head coach anywhere else.

Not that bad if he gets to keep his job as a Tends coach with a raise in his salary.

I know i've said before i would like to keep him as the head coach but if we have a choice between him and mike shula......then mike shula is my choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2015 09:36AM by samsam3738.

Date: December 08, 2015 09:55AM

We have to upgrade at HC (and qb?). Campbell is doing a heroic job as interim but just does not have the years of experience to get us where we need to be. IMHO

Date: December 08, 2015 10:02AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We have to upgrade at HC (and qb?). Campbell is
> doing a heroic job as interim but just does not
> have the years of experience to get us where we
> need to be. IMHO

Agreed.

I would hope they try and keep him as TEnds coach.

He is a very goods Tends coach.

Date: December 08, 2015 10:05AM

We definetely need an upgrade at QB.

Maybe mike shula is the recipe to turn Tannehill into a decent player.

He is struggling right now and not doing a very good job.

Date: December 08, 2015 10:07AM

It seems he has lost confidense in himself tannehill...

He is missing passes that he used to make before..

He miss landry wide open last sunday. He used to make those throws before.

And at times he does have some time to throw the football.

I think right now its all about confidense.

Date: December 08, 2015 02:09PM

Tanne is not consitent with his throws. I was really disappointed to see Mathews get injured catching a pass thrown behind him. That's the second receiver that missed time due to injury going after a poorly thrown pass (Sims was first first) not good. Im not sure better qb coaching can correct this.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 08, 2015 04:47PM

It didn't work out with Brian Griese, but maybe it will with Mike Shula. I'd be interested.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 08, 2015 05:07PM

The only thing worse than Shula coming here and failing would be to let Dan Campbell go and he ultimately becomes an all-world coach.

Just because Philbin was a crappy coach does not mean we should automatically assume every coach on our payroll is.

Date: December 08, 2015 07:07PM

Shula has promise........because its exactly the big name "splash" type thing that Ross goes for.......along with the obvious connect to Dolphins past History.

But I'd still try to see what Dan Campbell could build here. Shula has Head coach experience and how did that work out for him? How many great OC's and DC's have we had here that couldn't make a playoff appearance? I like the fact that Dan jumped right to head coach from assistant. he has managed the clock well, I've seen little or NO rookie coaching mistakes. Can you imagine a Dan Campbell run preseason and training camp!!? Man. Ross is an idiot so I fully expect him to replace Campbell with some big name and continue the losing trend and Tannehill will be the scapegoat.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 09, 2015 12:43AM

So since other oc and dcs have failed here you want to go with the promoted TE coach to right the ship.

That makes sense.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 09, 2015 03:57AM

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 09, 2015 03:58AM

An emotional response I know but after the last decade, adding anyone named Shula sounds like a good idea. winking smiley Seriously though Its hard to argue with the results he has gotten in Carolina over the last couple of years. Never thought I'd hear myself say this but SOMETHING has turned Cam Newton from a run first QB who made bad decisions throwing the ball to a pretty good looking NFL QB the last 2 years.

Date: December 09, 2015 03:59AM

What has dan campbell done with the phins that leads anybody here to believe that if we let him go then another team is going to give him a head coaching job?

Come on now..

The best he could do would be to resign with the phins as a tends coach and like someone else mentioned...( with a salary raise )

Date: December 09, 2015 04:16AM

I didn't see anyone say that DC was going to be a HC for someone else in 2016.

I did see people infer that he would eventually be a HC.

If he is not retained by Miami, he will go somewhere as a position coach, possibly with the "Assistant HC" label for a few years until he takes over as OC or HC. That's the usual path.

Date: December 09, 2015 04:25AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> So since other oc and dcs have failed here you
> want to go with the promoted TE coach to right the
> ship.
>
> That makes sense.

Thank you. We have had Big name superbowl winning coaches,big name Ocs and Dcs, College champion coaches, you name it. All failed.eye popping smiley however we never had a promoted tight ends coach.WTF not?can you give a solid reason why Campbell shouldn't get the nod besides you attractions to big names?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 09, 2015 04:45AM

I think Shula is the right guy at the right time. First of all, we are going to be hamstrung in getting a quality coach because of Mike Tannenbaum. A coach with clout is not going to want to report and be subservient to a guy who is pretty universally regarded in NFL circles as a lightweight. I definitely don't want to give up draft picks for someone like Sean Payton because this team has too many holes to give up picks and in any event, I doubt he'd come here because of the Tannenbaum factor.

That brings us to Mike Shula. I think he'd covet the job for obvious reasons. He's certainly as qualified as any other of the names I've been hearing (Rob Chudzinski, Kyle Shanahan, Josh McDaniels, etc. etc.). All things being equal, I think it would be very good karma to pay homage to the only coach the Dolphins have ever had that was worth a damn. To have his son take over the reins of the team that he put on the map would be an amazing thing to happen in the twilight of his life. Let me say again, I say this only with all things being equal. If there was a can't miss coaching candidate that would be willing to come to Miami, I would certainly be of a different opinion. Because I don't see that happening, and because Mike has done a really nice job with putting Cam Newton in an offense that plays to his strengths, I think he's the logical choice here in Miami. If the franchise is married to Tannehill for the foreseeable future, it might be nice to have a coach that tries to put him in an offense that takes advantage of his athleticism.

Date: December 09, 2015 09:18AM

I know some of you will rip it but I would look at giving Wade Phillips another shot.

What he does for defenses is nothing short of brilliant. The only issue with that is that he runs a 3-4 and we have Suh.

He should be good enough to make it work because he makes the system fit the players and likes to run a one gap style.

82-64 HC record.
Coached 19, top 10 defenses.
This Broncos defense should be his seventh successful first-year turnaround.
Knows talent and which players to push for....Hand picked JJ Watt.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 09, 2015 11:14AM

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: December 09, 2015 02:08PM

Ugh please no. They need to change the logo to the Dolphin going down or belly up. This franchise is sunk if that's the direction they are going. I remember this same Shula being run out of town at Alabama U. and I really am not going to give him much credit for what Cam Newton has done this year, I fully expect the Panthers to collapse in the playoffs when the real teams come out at full speed and in sychronization.

I can definitively say that I can't stand offensive coordinator types as Head Coaches, i want a defensive guy. Even boring & plain Wanny was better than the last few decade+ of fools we have had here since.

Or better yet just stick with Campbell and get him some top notch coordinators and talent evaluators.

Date: December 09, 2015 03:11PM

One thing is for certain. ROSS will make the wrong choice.
sad smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 09, 2015 10:01PM

There are 12-18 guys out there which will be considered for the job...and ALL of them might be the wrong guy because the "Right Guy" may not even be available this year. It'll be very easy to blame Ross for not picking the right one in hindsight.

My choices are;

Current H/C's - Sean Payton (But he makes me very nervous)
College H/C's - Gary Patterson
Current Coordinators - Kacy Rodgers (Not much faith in Mike Shula)
Re-tread's - Josh McDaniel or Hue Jackson

Posted by: dgfred ()
Date: December 10, 2015 08:09AM

Maybe hire as OC... but that would be it IMO. Not head coach material IMO.

I am from N.C., the Panthers were just getting by under his OCing.

Date: December 11, 2015 03:07AM

12-0 is just getting By? Give Shula Jr credit where it's deserved.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 11, 2015 04:19AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> 12-0 is just getting By? Give Shula Jr credit
> where it's deserved.

Agree. Over the last 2 years the Panthers offense has improved by leaps and bounds. Still can't stand them, but facts are facts.

Date: December 11, 2015 04:50AM

It'll be very easy to
> blame Ross for not picking the right one in
> hindsight.
>

Let me be clear, I already have blamed ROSS for not picking the right person.drinking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 11, 2015 05:49AM

No matter what happen's it's going to be a crap shoot.

Mike Shula has certainly been around football all of his life and he would be a natural to invigorate the franchise. However, if the team fails miserably under his watch, the fans will come down on him like a ton of bricks. Taking the Dolphins HC job is a tough act to follow, and he would have to be as good if not more productive than his Dad. Staying as the Panthers' OC is a much safer place for him. Taking a HC position anywhere other than Miami would be safer for him--less criticism--more mental stability for him.

However, if he is super confident, believes in his ability to upstage his "old man" then he should give it a shot. If he's go the mental fortitude he'll do it if offered. I think Mike Shula would come at a high price, lots of risk for him needs to be counter-balanced by giving him lots of dough and control.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 11, 2015 05:58AM

If Mike Shula learned from his Dad how to run a team, then I welcome him as a HC.

Date: December 11, 2015 07:00AM

If i was ross i would give shula full control of any personel move. New Coaches scouts, the draft etc.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.