HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is there a difference: Coaching or Training
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Is there a difference: Coaching or Training
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 05, 2015 04:15AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is there a difference: Coaching or Training
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 05, 2015 04:32AM

Very simple colonel.

If we had tom brady As qb of this team we would be 100 times better.

When marino was here in his prime we were always contenders.

Take this past thursday night game......If the pats had tannehill starting and we had brady starting the phins would had won the game.

Date: November 05, 2015 05:03AM

The type of plays and schemes has a lot to do with how successfull the team will be, but at the end of the day............you are not talented enough.....scheme dont matter.

Date: November 05, 2015 09:01AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very simple colonel.
>
> If we had tom brady As qb of this team we would be
> 100 times better.
>
> When marino was here in his prime we were always
> contenders.
>
> Take this past thursday night game......If the
> pats had tannehill starting and we had brady
> starting the phins would had won the game.

Dude ,its not even late afternoon and your hosed already. But thank you go not using the term "wet firecracker "again.drinking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 05, 2015 09:10AM

Colonel, I think Coaching is more of a mental aspect of it and training is more physical. I believe training is more important in the off season and just need to be maintained during the season.Coaching is a HUGE part of it. When a coach believes and can motivate teams will perform better despite the talent level.I'm convinced certain players play better elsewhere because of the team chemistry. The entire makeup of the team, the focus, the positive mental aspect is a game changer.so is good old fashioned fear.some coaches are pushoverstill where others will release you for coming late to practice.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 05, 2015 10:04AM

I think, with all due respect, Colonel, you are leaving out a large part of it. I grew up by Fort Sill, Oklahoma but training military recruits and training football players, even at the pee wee level is entirely different.

Military men have to all perform the same given their assignments, field artillery, etc.

The problem with Philbin and the genius of Shula was that he recognized that football players EVEN PLAYING THE SAME POSITION had different skill sets and that you need to use those skill sets IN THEIR OWN UNIQUE WAY.

Griese was a scrambler when I sat at Ross Ade Stadium in West Lafayette, Indiana and watched him every Saturday. When Shula got him, he broke that scrambling aspect, not because it was not natural for him but because it would not serve him in the pros and that more bad things than good could happen. But he recognized that Griese's mind was his greatest asset and that he was one of the greatest field generals to play the position.

When all he had was David Woodley, he made due but even after Woodley had led us to a super Bowl in a shortened season, he drafted Marino the next year. Marino was the greatest passer in history and Shula utilized that different talent to its utmost given the fact that he had a poor running game and a poor defense.

So you have to utilize the UNIQUE talent of each player rather than just expecting them to all excel in the same way.

Your plays ALSO have to play to the unique talent of your players as well as the deficiencies of the opposition.

Wes Welker, a former Dolphin and both used to hammer the hell out of opponents by Brady and Bellicheat and then Peyton.

And above all, you have to be willing to see, and I mean in more than in just practice, what the guys you have on the bench and who did not beat out the first stringers in the pre season can actually do in a real game situation no matter how it unsettles your starters.

Marino remains the great example. I remember being in the Los Angeles Coliseum in September the first game of the season that year against the Raiders when our Super Bowl quarterback David Woodley was continuing the same pathetic performance he had performed earlier that January in the Super Bowl against Washington at the Rose Bowl at Pasadena. In the Second quarter, he was taken out by Shula and the Rookie Dan Marino took over and Woodley never saw the field again.

A coach also has to know which offensive schemes that he can run to the most effectiveness with his team as opposed to even the traditional schemes.

Everyone criticizes the Wildcat but hell it worked like hell until they figured it out. But hey, we had those games.

Date: November 05, 2015 11:32AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Very simple colonel.
> >
> > If we had tom brady As qb of this team we would
> be
> > 100 times better.
> >
> > When marino was here in his prime we were
> always
> > contenders.
> >
> > Take this past thursday night game......If the
> > pats had tannehill starting and we had brady
> > starting the phins would had won the game.
>
> Dude ,its not even late afternoon and your hosed
> already. But thank you go not using the term "wet
> firecracker "again.drinking smiley

But im stating the truth. And you know it.

Date: November 05, 2015 11:42AM

I don't know what you even stating. It's hogwash really. Sorry bro, your so off base on this one I was hoping you were just wasted.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 05, 2015 12:11PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> I don't know what you even stating. It's hogwash
> really. Sorry bro, your so off base on this one I
> was hoping you were just wasted.

Offbase on what?

That brady is 1000 times better than tannehill...that if brady was starting for the phins and tannehill for the pats we would had won the game thursday night....?

Its the truth.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 06, 2015 01:54AM

Brady is the product of the system. If he left the pats he'd be a middling QB.

Coaching is why the pats plug and play players They don't ask that young oline to sustain blocks. The find out what they're good at and gameplan around it.

We, on the other hand, sit #1 picks because they don't know the system 110%. We're afraid they may make a mistake never taking into account their game chaging ability. We only see the mistakes in practice, not the flashes.

Training is in the weigh room. Coaching is the difference between winning and losing and lets face it, our staff is a bunch of first time NFLers that s u c k.

Date: November 06, 2015 06:58AM

Sam what are you talking about? No. If Tom Brady SD tarter for us he would fail. Because he can't run , he has no protection and even talking about it is as stupid as saying Superman can beat up the Hulk. It's complete fantasy and would never happen. Go relax and play some bingo or something until sunday.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: November 06, 2015 07:07AM

With Pats, I think it comes down to coaching and preparation with heavy emphasis on prep. When Don Jones came back to Dolphins from his stint with Pats, he shared a lot of info with us on the meticulous prep they do...well beyond what Philbin was requiring. Reminded me of Shula and how he was so attentive to detail.

Date: November 06, 2015 08:15AM

LOL OH TCPF you is blind my brother.

Date: November 06, 2015 07:18PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> LOL OH TCPF you is blind my brother.

I know I'm going to to take each week as it comes because we have a new leader I respect. I truly believe we have a chance now to win each week and will take two week runs like we had against the Texans and Titans and enjoy the heck out of it with my boys and my dad. That magical season is coming for us. Until then relax and enjoy the ride. smileys with beer

PS....if your reading this Ross I want my $500 back on the game you scammed me on by keeping Philbin as head coach, but for now I believe.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.