HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Crazy idea?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Crazy idea?
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 18, 2014 12:01AM

It's pretty clear to me that Tannehill (and probably the whole offense) was still getting comfortable with Lazor's offense the first few games of the year. If you look at the completion % and YPA for the first 3 games, all of them are below his season average...and there is only one instance of each (completion % vs. JAX and YPA vs. DET) in the following 7 games when either were below his season average.

The one major missing element in his game is the deep ball. How big a deal that is...that's a matter of opinion (several opinions, I guess). But, it is generally recognized to be a deficiency relative to other parts of his game.

Proposal for discussion: if we have games like the CHI, SD and JAX game in which we have significant early leads, call some (more than normal competitive game) long passes in order to incorporate some real-game practice.

POTENTIAL POSITIVES:
- Tanny gets better at them and confidence increased
- Wallace gets better at his part of the process - though I think the majority of the improvement is on Tannehill
- Becomes a real threat and one more thing opposing defenses must legitimately account for
- opens up more for other elements of the offense (bigger holes for Miller or softer spots for Clay or Landry)
- Score more points

POTENTIAL NEGATIVES:
- teams don't like having the score run up on them...revenge factor stuff
- we could misjudge how well we've put a team away, and they could sneak back up and steal a game
- could get Tanny or others hurt playing in garbage time

I think the positives outweigh the negatives, but not by a ton. Played out to extremes, the good could be incredibly good...the bad incredibly bad.

I bring it up because we may have such opportunities against the likes of MIN and NYJ (may it be so).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crazy idea?
Date: November 18, 2014 12:39AM

I think I forgot one significant potential negative:

We prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that we can't do it, and defenses solidify their perspective that they don't need to give it any credence at all.

I, for one, think this is where defenses are at this point anyway - i.e. even decent-to-subpar long-ball coverage vs. Wallace is sufficient, but it's worth mentioning.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 18, 2014 01:29AM

they really don't give it credence now. If this is his game then we need to find some big red zone targets in the offseason.

I don't think there's a secret formula. You have to hit them during the course of the game. Once we do the middle of the field opens up.

You have to make the other team pay for cheating up. Buffalo did it the entire game. We threw 2 short passes in a row to Wallace and set it up perfectly but couldn't hit it. those plays have to be made.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 18, 2014 02:33AM

Completing one long pass every once in a while doesn't create a fear or respect by the opposing team of such an event happening to them. Connecting once a game changes everything. Doing it more than once a game creates a fear of the long ball and results in critical defense concerns. This is a logical assumption; it is logical and makes sense.

So, if the Dolphins were to get into another lopsided game where they are so far out in front that the losing team would have no chance in catching up, no matter what bad thing happened, the risk might be low to try successive long pass plays, but I wouldn't do it. If during practice the long ball just isn't there, hitting one, even in a lopsided game, before a paying fan base, isn't going to hone the long ball skill. The skill has to be learned and executed often during practice. Creating consistency in execution creates confidence in one's abilities to do it later. It takes the "getting lucky" or "magic" out of possibly making the play.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 18, 2014 02:35AM

I dont know, if the short/intermediate passing game is working, is the long ball really needed? We need to take a shot or two every game to keep defenses honest, but I wouldn't start trying to force it or anything.

And if we get big leads, shouldn't we be working on our running game and salting away the clock? That alone has cost us two games, not the lack of the long ball.

I also think our bigger problem is red zone efficiency, we've moved the ball up an down the field only to settle for FG's, this team is leaving too many points on the field to be a serious playoff contender. If anything needs to be improved it's that IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2014 02:59AM by dolphaholic.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 18, 2014 03:15AM

I think if he could just hit one, it would do a lot for his & Wallace's confidence in this area.

Unfortunately, I am not sure if they will ever hit on one.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: November 18, 2014 03:41AM

Id just be happy if they didn't do it on 3rd down with 3-4 minutes left. 1st down is ok but...

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: November 18, 2014 05:04AM

Date: November 18, 2014 05:28AM

Date: November 18, 2014 07:32AM

Date: November 18, 2014 07:34AM

And don't give me the BS about lack of opportunities, there have been a dozen or so of those exact scenario type missed opportunities since Wallace got here.

---------------------

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: November 18, 2014 08:37AM

that long pass in jags game Tannehill got flushed out of pocket.

the deep ball is needed for a quick TD.

Wallace was wide open for a TD last game, but was missed.

Not sure how many big targets are needed, just hit the open man.

I would not waste time with trying to throw it, 3 years now shows it cant be learned.

Just play to strengths and call good plays in red zone.

Date: November 18, 2014 08:45AM

Date: November 18, 2014 08:54AM

Date: November 18, 2014 09:01AM

Date: November 18, 2014 09:23AM

it was fun while it lasted.

I give this thread 10 more posts before it's closed.

Date: November 18, 2014 09:24AM

Date: November 18, 2014 09:25AM

Date: November 18, 2014 12:54PM

Date: November 18, 2014 01:06PM

I wonder if the Bronco fans are like, I wish Peyton Manning could run just one great read option play...grinning smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 18, 2014 01:11PM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they really don't give it credence now. If this
> is his game then we need to find some big red zone
> targets in the offseason.
>
> I don't think there's a secret formula. You have
> to hit them during the course of the game. Once
> we do the middle of the field opens up.
>
> You have to make the other team pay for cheating
> up. Buffalo did it the entire game. We threw 2
> short passes in a row to Wallace and set it up
> perfectly but couldn't hit it. those plays have
> to be made.

This has been an issue the whole time RT has been a Dolphin, jsm08.

However, I am going to preface my next statement with I am unable to watch every Dolphins game, plus I don't study tape of the games. Now, saying that, I would have to disagree with your opening statement that teams don't give the long ball any credence. Miami has Mike Wallace on the field. You don't think Wallace going deep is not in the back of the DB's mind, or even the defensive coordinator? Watch what would happen if the opposing team ignores Wallace, allowing him to get deep and not covering him. RT will hit him. I'm not saying RT will lay it right in the basket, but RT will get it out there. Trust me, defenses are wary of the deep ball.

Does RT and his receivers need to work on the deep ball? You bet they do...ALL OF THEM. RT has shown that he has the arm; now he just needs to improve his ball placement. The long ball is not as easy to complete as some may think. I've seen many, many top-tier NFL QBs missing. The majority have been overthrown, just as RT has been doing. Miami just needs to keep working on that aspect of their game.

Question for you guys, in relation to this subject. Why is it that I have seen a lot of NFL games on TV where the receiver is wide open, sometimes 10+ yards open, but yet, Miami's receivers always have a DB draped all over them, including Wallace?

And speaking of Wallace going deep, why is it that Wallace doesn't run any deep post patterns? From what I have seen, he is constantly running deep sideline routes. Maybe RT can have better ball placement if Wallace is heading towards the middle of the field?

Date: November 18, 2014 01:15PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> I think if he could just hit one, it would do a
> lot for his & Wallace's confidence in this area.
>
> Unfortunately, I am not sure if they will ever hit
> on one.

They have connected on a few; not enough where we can all remember them, but they have connected.

Date: November 18, 2014 01:18PM

Date: November 18, 2014 02:17PM

Date: November 18, 2014 04:01PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I wonder if the Bronco fans are like, I wish
> Peyton Manning could run just one great read
> option play...grinning smiley

LOL. Good one......smileys with beer Or just run one period. grinning smiley

or turn his neck........spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 19, 2014 07:18AM

captkoi Wrote:

>
> Wow, A&O. No offense, but now it is no longer RT
> has to hit Wallace with the long ball, now he has
> to hit him in stride for 70 or 80 yards.
>
> I just hope Lazor is giving RT and his receivers
> the time during practice to work on that aspect of
> the passing game.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Every Saturday and Sunday I see DOZENS, literally, DOZENS of uncontested deep TD passes.

Do you know how many I have seen from RT17 in 3 years?

Zero.

---------------------

Posted by: DolphinsRmeFav ()
Date: November 19, 2014 07:58AM

Date: November 19, 2014 08:53AM

He threw one to Hartline his rookie year against Arizona. 82 yarder I believe.

He probably threw that ball 40-50 yards. Perfect strike.

Date: November 19, 2014 10:49AM

Date: November 19, 2014 12:16PM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.