Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Alright, Show yourself. This won't be a Poll.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Alright, Show yourself. This won't be a Poll.
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 12, 2014 11:38AM

I wanna know who is still defending Philbin.

Not gonna run a poll because we need to know.

I'm gonna start with JSM08, I'm putting you down as still supporting Philbin but how about you dolphaholic?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alright, Show yourself. This won't be a Poll.
Posted by: TannyDaMan ()
Date: October 12, 2014 11:40AM

I support his ability to @#$%& up a wet dream.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 12, 2014 11:40AM

thumbs down

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 12, 2014 11:41AM

Really hard to support a coach that calls timeouts stopping the clock for the other team when your defense and the crowd are rocking the place......

Posted by: Ihatebrady ()
Date: October 12, 2014 11:43AM

I support him getting fired on national tv and slapped in his sorry fu&king face.

Posted by: Dolphacolyte ()
Date: October 12, 2014 12:30PM

Possible this DW Clone will end the year. But be certain around January or February 2015 a new sheriff is coming to town. No doubt about it. I was wrong. Seen enought of it by now. Feel Mr. Ross as I write this might be paying attention.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 12, 2014 12:40PM

I don't think philbin is doing a good job but I'm not going to run around like a 15yr old hormonal girl trying to prove myself right.

I base that on his poor game management and poor use of TOs at the worst times not some conceived bs he MUST be doing or saying in the lockerroom. Not base on pure speculation to make myself feel better.

So philbin is gone. Is hickey gone too? Who do you think will want to come and work for Stephen Ross?

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: October 12, 2014 12:43PM

Worst coached football game I have seen in a very long time.

Fire his ass.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 12, 2014 12:53PM

If missing the playoffs gets him fired and we look like a team that doesn't really have much of a chance to go 10-6 (which probably gets playoffs), then - if I'm Ross - I probably fire him sooner rather than later.

And, coming a bit from nowhere, perhaps - I probably go ahead and give Lazor the chance to finish out the season as HC. Reason: our offense is definitely better by a good bit than it has been in a long time. And maybe this time we give ourselves a chance to hold onto the next great mind, motivator & leader rather than trying to find him somewhere else. If he turns the ship around and looks like he has "it", then finders keepers. If not, at least we know.

If 9-7 is acceptable progress - and we stand a LOT better chance of finishing 7-4 than 8-3, in my opinion (don't know why...just seems much more achievable), then keep him until it's obvious we can't make it, I guess...or until we do end up @ 9-7. But I don't really think 9-7 is good enough to give him the benefit of the doubt to Ross, given all the very apparent warts.

Probably not a great or well thought-out idea, but whatever.

Date: October 12, 2014 01:05PM

I should probably PS that message by saying Tannehill's first half probably convinced me that viable young QB competition is an absolute must. While Tannehill seems to exhibit almost everything you'd want...with tremendous inconsistency...I don't know if you can say it's ok to have a QB:
- who still locks onto a receiver
- who doesn't have pocket awareness all the time (seemed like he developed it over halftime...like someone in the locker room told him QB 101 "dude, you should pay attention to what's going on around you and move a bit if necessary"
- and whose long ball is so bad that every time he throws it I'm convinced that just about the best thing that can happen is it falls harmlessly incomplete and have almost 0 confidence in a completion let alone one in stride for a TD

Kudos to him for running and escaping some and playing well in the 2nd half...just can't keep seeing such inconsistency and un-repaired holes in his overall game.

I don't trust Matt Moore for the future...more trust him to find a way to win some games if Tanny went down for a period, but don't trust him in the long run. We need someone young and moldable to push Tannehill and to be a plan B if Tannehill can't get it done consistently. Not necessarily saying I want Tanny gone now or at the end of the season or anything, but it's clearly obvious to me that we need a plan B - at least - in the works.

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: October 12, 2014 01:40PM

After the way we lost today....I couldn't even support a good #2 burger from Burger King right now.

Date: October 12, 2014 01:51PM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I should probably PS that message by saying
> Tannehill's first half probably convinced me that
> viable young QB competition is an absolute must.
> While Tannehill seems to exhibit almost everything
> you'd want...with tremendous inconsistency...I
> don't know if you can say it's ok to have a QB:
> - who still locks onto a receiver
> - who doesn't have pocket awareness all the time
> (seemed like he developed it over halftime...like
> someone in the locker room told him QB 101 "dude,
> you should pay attention to what's going on around
> you and move a bit if necessary"
> - and whose long ball is so bad that every time
> he throws it I'm convinced that just about the
> best thing that can happen is it falls harmlessly
> incomplete and have almost 0 confidence in a
> completion let alone one in stride for a TD
>
> Kudos to him for running and escaping some and
> playing well in the 2nd half...just can't keep
> seeing such inconsistency and un-repaired holes in
> his overall game.
>
> I don't trust Matt Moore for the future...more
> trust him to find a way to win some games if Tanny
> went down for a period, but don't trust him in the
> long run. We need someone young and moldable to
> push Tannehill and to be a plan B if Tannehill
> can't get it done consistently. Not necessarily
> saying I want Tanny gone now or at the end of the
> season or anything, but it's clearly obvious to me
> that we need a plan B - at least - in the works.

Couldn't agree more.

I had no problem going for the TD early in the game. That 4th down run was a read option. He had Landry and Wallace one on one to his right and optioned to the run right in the teeth of their d.

The only consistency I see in Tanne is his inconsistency.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: October 12, 2014 01:56PM

Today is that day when, as the fan of a football team, you realize that everything you feared about your head coach is true.

He really is an idiot.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 12, 2014 02:10PM

I like Philbin, and apparently, so do the players, Ross, and a lot of other fans. They don't seem to be too happy with Coyle, though, reference Philip Wheeler's comments about that last play today, and the comments about Wake covering a back out of the backfield in the Kansas City game.
Somebody said "our offense is definitely better by a good bit than it has been in a long time'. You are joking, aren't you? Seven points total in two games in a row and 3 points in the first half of this game is pretty bad. The lack of offense and the pressure put on the defense in the first half eventually cost us this game.
I think Philbin and his coaches' adjustments at the half got us back into this game. His calling time out on fourth down was an understandable gambit. Yes, the Packers got to catch their breaths, but so did we, and at that point, we needed it at least as bad as they did. He was damned whichever way he went on that. if he hadn't called it, our totally gassed defense might have been beaten by a couple steps, in which case y'all would have been calling for his head because he didn't call one of our two time-outs to get everybody on the same page. As it was, Wheeler got beat by just a few inches while doing what his defensive coordinator told him to do. He did get beat, but this is Aaron Rodgers we're talking about. If Chris McCain had been able to fall on Rodger's fumble on 3rd-and-9, if Grimes hadn't fallen down and given up that first to the tight end, if Cortland Finnegan hadn't fallen for the fake spike and given up 12 yards, if, if, if....
The real "if" is if we score some points on two golden opportunities in the first half, or even if we score 3 after having 1st-and-goal at the four, we aren't discussing this. Philbin, and astonishingly, Tannehill, got their team headed in the right direction after the half. Isn't that what a head coach is supposed to do?

Rick

Date: October 12, 2014 02:22PM

Not on this board, Rick.

If the team wins the players played great.

If they lose it's all on the coach.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 12, 2014 03:07PM

The game plan is set each week by the coaching staff. They have researched the opponent, looked at video of them, and decide that a certain offensive look and effort will be put into play. Those key plays are practiced for the game. Same is true for the defense. They also assess kick offs and punts to look for issues on special teams. With this said, execution of the game plan is up to all the players. If the players aren't able to pull things off and look ridiculous in the process of doing so, they look inept. However, if the coaches are sticking to the game plan which continues to fail, not adapting to the opponents defense, one begins to sense that it's not just the players but something with the game plan and play calling. There's a fine line distinction to know which is which. Most of us can tell. Sometimes, it's blurry.

One obvious example of player misfire is a running play where the RB breaks through the hole, scampers 12 yards and fumbles the ball. Or similarly, a slant where the WR has the ball go through his hands. It becomes more difficult to know the difference when it's a third and short and the formation clearly indicates a run and the defense stops the play dead. Bad call? Poor execution? Not even the best executed plays work. So, poorly executed plays, calls, are sure to fail.

In today's game, how much of that win was not on how badly we played, but how spectacular Rodgers played. Rodgers was given a play, but it probably wasn't one drawn up that he actually executed. It was one he likely improvised with that was rang the death knell.

What is apparent to me, is that the coaching staff is equally as inconsistent in it's efforts as our 3rd year QB. Both, and I underscore the word "both" are consistently inconsistent in how they fair during a game.

It should not take 30 minutes to change the game plan. That's what is happening. Poor coaching decisions play a major role in how this team performs every week. Tannehill, who is probably a nice young guy, isn't capable of making the original game plan work nor is the supporting cast. Tannehill's inconsistency is partly his own problem and partly the coaching staff's inability to get it right for him and the entire team.

IMO, Joe Philbin just isn't head coach material. He's too easily out coached week-to-week.

Posted by: ncdolphfan ()
Date: October 12, 2014 03:51PM

Don't like the guy at all!

Date: October 12, 2014 04:39PM

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: October 12, 2014 05:01PM

its obviously a mix but you can't make bonehead decisions in crunch time and keep your job. The first half was terrible offensively, at least we seemed to right the ship there in the second

You have to make the decisions to keep the Peyton Manning & Aaron Rodgers off the field when the game is on the line

Date: October 12, 2014 05:06PM

Seriously I knew we lost as soon as we switched to run the ball on out last drive. I even called it before we punted. I said Philben just killed us. Sure enough Arron Rodgers did what he does best. Wins games! Too bad our QB can't!

Date: October 12, 2014 05:14PM

"You have to make the decisions to keep the Peyton Manning & Aaron Rodgers off the field when the game is on the line."

Surely you don't think that they didn't think of that. Every player interview I heard during the week leading up to the game emphasized that very thing, and all made it clear that that "concept" was being pounded into them all week. It just didn't work, particularly in the first half.

Rick

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 12, 2014 05:18PM

Date: October 12, 2014 05:29PM

Date: October 12, 2014 05:38PM

"Seriously I knew we lost as soon as we switched to run the ball on out last drive. I said Philben just killed us."

Seriously, this just hindsight and looking for excuses. In the third quarter when we needed a long scoring drive to get some points and to give the defense some much-needed rest, we ran a well-balanced offense and got exactly what we needed. Then the offense did it again, using mixed runs and passes. There was no reason to suppose that the offense couldn't do it again using the same formula, but running uses up more clock than passing, so you don't pass as much. Basic football strategy.

Rick

Date: October 12, 2014 05:45PM

"why does it take 30 minutes of play to finally institute adjustments? It's puzzling."

It is indeed. Just guessing here, but it seems that this team needs time to take a deep breath, take stock, figure out what just happened and what can be done about it. Apparently, they need 12 minutes to do this.

Rick

Date: October 12, 2014 08:51PM

Date: October 12, 2014 09:46PM

Problem is Mr. Ross. A rich man who seems to regard this team as a toy and not a legacy as did Joe Robbe.

He personally LIKES Joe Philbin and that might say it all. I don't live in Miami but I have heard you guys talk about him making what seemed to be non-franchise interest decisions.

Our only hope is Hickey. Hopefully Hickey goes up to him and says, "err..I know you like the guy but....yada yada... and my rep is now getting mixed up in this and it's either him or me."

Date: October 13, 2014 02:52AM

I've giving up on this staff, our season is @#$%& so in done with roller coaster ride. Sucks too but oh well.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 13, 2014 05:20AM

The real problem is all the overreaction that's happening with the fans. Yesterday's game was a great game that was won by, arguably, the best QB in the league on a last-second play. I know those of us who remember Marino are accustomed to being on the other side of that...and the fake spike play run by GB didn't help...but I see us as MUCH improved over the Sparano years. I see fewer injuries and more consistency...particularly on the O-Line. I see a lot more guts on the offensive play calling. I see TDs rather than FGs. I see halftime adjustments!!!!

Anyone who thinks Philbin is worse than Sparano has a very short memory.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: October 13, 2014 05:43AM

"MUCH improved"?!?!?! Exclude Sparano's first year 2008 (which was actually pretty good, through no fault of his own), and I see us with EXACTLY the same results...I see heartless teams that can't get it done when the game is on the line, I see bumbling coaching moves that cost us games, I see us not able to compete for our division, I see us at or just under .500 and NOT in the playoffs. Philbin is a less animated Sparano, a rookie coach in over his head. Results are what matters.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.