HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jameis Winston: A Future Franchise QB?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Jameis Winston: A Future Franchise QB?
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 16, 2014 05:00AM

My youngest is a FSU alumnus. He's a fan of the football team but no a fan of Winston. Winston's core values are skewed and is a bigger problem waiting to happen according to my son.

With Winston at QB, FSU is at or near the top in the college rankings. He is an awesome player. He is last year's Heisman winner.

BUT, his apparent lack of values severely undermines his value to most NFL teams. (There is definitely one or two hard up franchises that would sign him).

Would Winston be a viable draft choice for the Dolphins if he fell that far in the draft? Are we, one of the two hard up franchises that would sign him? Could he wrangle the starting job away from Ryan Tannehill as a rookie? Is he really that good? Could he lead the Dolphins? Would the gamble be worth it or would it kill the effort to make this franchise one of the better ones again?

It raises more questions than it answers...but heck, let's hash it out.cool smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jameis Winston: A Future Franchise QB?
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: October 16, 2014 06:01AM

I would love to see the NFL send a message loud and clear and let this guy fall to the 4th round but it won't happen because teams are greedy. at the worst he may fall to the bottom of the first ala Johnny Football.

If you want to get a glimpse of this guys future, look no farther than Vince Young. Possibly even Ryan Leaf.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: October 16, 2014 06:18AM

Winston reminds me of byron leftwich on the field. Add in the baggage and I wouldn't risk a first round pick on him.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 16, 2014 07:40AM

If we don't go QB in the first round we have to go LB....

Date: October 16, 2014 10:35AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If we don't go QB in the first round we have to go
> LB....

It all depends on where we pick and who comes out.

I'd have no issues taking an elite wr or te if there is one to be had. I'm no fan of drafting RB's in the first round but this is that rare draft when there's one worthy of a top 10 pick and 2 others that should be mid to late 1sts.

If we pick in the top 10 I'd love to take amani Cooper from Alabama or Todd Gurley from UGA.

If we are picking later I'd look for best value at dt, lb or s....that or trade down.

Date: October 16, 2014 10:46AM

We need play makers...BUT

Look at how Dallas has built their o-line over the last few years. Probably the best in the league right now. They are nasty. As I've been hearing a lot lately, if you want to be a tough team in the NFL, you better have a tough o-line....and we still need guards. Hopefully some nasty ones.

Zach Martin was a great pick for Dallas and it he has brought a toughness to their line. It would be hard to argue against that philosophy. Even in the first.

Ideally, we would get the play maker in the first and a guard later.

Date: October 16, 2014 11:35AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> We need play makers...BUT
>
> Look at how Dallas has built their o-line over the
> last few years. Probably the best in the league
> right now. They are nasty. As I've been hearing a
> lot lately, if you want to be a tough team in the
> NFL, you better have a tough o-line....and we
> still need guards. Hopefully some nasty ones.
>
> Zach Martin was a great pick for Dallas and it he
> has brought a toughness to their line. It would be
> hard to argue against that philosophy. Even in the
> first.
>
> Ideally, we would get the play maker in the first
> and a guard later.

If we are in the teens and there is an elite guard then I'd have no problem with that.

I think Billy Turner is going to be one of our OG's.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 16, 2014 11:47AM

See how far he drops. I know the pundits said that Tanny was worth the 8th place and the other teams as well. As it turns out, Tanny was a project and he is in the third year of that project and still, in the last game...............

let me separate this out clearly so there can be no mistake.....

.....and let me put it in all caps.

IN THE LAST GAME, AGAINST AARON RODGERS, TANNY HAD IT WON AND JOE PHILBIN GAVE IT AWAY...............

still earlier in that game, Tanny showed that he is still uncomfortable in the pocket, that he misses receivers and that when he has to make desperation choices, he does not make the appropriate ones.

So if this Winston guy falls far, OR IF WE ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FIRST ROUND (which would be unlikely if this season is a bust) then I'd think of grabbing him unless Bret Hundley was around.

Date: October 16, 2014 11:49AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> We need play makers...BUT
>
> Look at how Dallas has built their o-line over the
> last few years. Probably the best in the league
> right now. They are nasty. As I've been hearing a
> lot lately, if you want to be a tough team in the
> NFL, you better have a tough o-line....and we
> still need guards. Hopefully some nasty ones.
>
> Zach Martin was a great pick for Dallas and it he
> has brought a toughness to their line. It would be
> hard to argue against that philosophy. Even in the
> first.
>
> Ideally, we would get the play maker in the first
> and a guard later.

I really thought we were gonna get Zack. We came within like two picks. sad smiley I'm happy with James.......but Zack And James would have been nuts. Its possible James might have fell to the 2nd round.

Oh well. Can Dion Jordon play line man? grinning smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: davdoldew4 ()
Date: October 16, 2014 01:18PM

A PR Nightmare !!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 16, 2014 01:20PM

Ryan Leaf. Jamarcus Russell. Need I go on?

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 16, 2014 04:42PM

I'm beginning to think Joe Philbin slept with chryen's wife.

Date: October 16, 2014 04:54PM

LOL.

As Rodney Dangerfield used to say, "Take my wife for an example. Anybody!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 04:55PM by ChyrenB.

Date: October 16, 2014 05:15PM

Henny Youngman was the one who coined that phrase. You guys probably went to school together... winking smiley

Date: October 16, 2014 09:58PM

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 17, 2014 10:20AM

Jameis Winston, hmmmm, let me see.

Great talent.

Saw a little deal on ESPN this AM, and it seems he's been STUDYING the QB position since youth football. He's got the "football" smarts.

He is still extremely immature, and very possibly, has let fame get to him.

He has done some very stupid, minor things over these last two years, EXCEPT the possible rape.

Now, will that drop him in the draft? If I were the Dolphins and had a top 15 pick, I wouldn't touch him. If I was drafting late in the first? Yep, I would take him. He won't get the big money that late in the round.

However, I can (almost) guarantee you that there will be two or three teams that will be desperate for a QB, and they will fight to draft him. In fact, if one of those QB desperate teams is drafting late in the first, they will put together a package to move up to get him.

This is the NFL world we live in, folks.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 18, 2014 03:34AM

Jameis Winston will be showcased tonight as FSU plays ND on national tv. Winston is a better QB than ND's Golston, IMO. Because of that, I give the nod to FSU winning the game.

No doubt, there will be some commentary about Winston's off field issues during the game, but that won't distract from his performance.

ND is good but overrated in the polls. I've been a ND fan all my life and what's called for, so disappointment isn't so great, is to be realistic about them. I consider them at #20 not #5.

Golston is a terrific athlete. He doesn't show the savvy of Winston though. He makes many mistakes physically and mentally and commits turnovers when carrying the ball. He has committed numerous fumbles the past few weeks setting back the ND offense by quite a bit. Yet, because of the weak competition ND faced they were able to pull wins out of the hat. Unless something has changed with Golston's ball carrying, I expect more turnovers from him that ND can't overcome against FSU. If he can play without any turnovers, the game will go down to the wire.

This is also the biggest test for FSU this season. If they commit 2 turnovers that will be a real problem for them to overcome. So, all and all, I give a 14 point edge to FSU because of home field advantage.

Date: October 18, 2014 09:55AM

Did not read the allegations before commenting above. Just assumed it was some type of robbery stuff.

Having read it, it's very difficult matter when the women will not cooperate but I smell a rat since there were two other male football players who were witnesses and one recorded it.

Usually more males there on one female indicates that even if only one male touched her, it was NOT consensual. I know the dumb minded males think that that speaks of "stripper or loose woman." But in reality it more speaks of "gang rape."

Odd though because the one who recorded it stated that it would prove that the matter was consensual. But then, he said he lost the picture and no longer has the phone and they charged him with some time of invasion of privacy thing for recording it so he backs off.

But if it's true, I can't stomach that type of guy.

You can only look through the eyes that you have been given and although my father raised two girls older than us two boys, I only have two boys. But still, I can have empathy for any father when his little girl is just trying to have a good time and ends up being raped.

Absolute scum if that is true and such people should be in prison, not the NFL. IMO, worse scum than even Aaron Hernandez.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 18, 2014 10:45AM

Completely agree, Chryen

Too many incidents. The kid plays by his own rules and gets away with it because of his star status.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: October 18, 2014 11:40AM

Vince Young II

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.