HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Other non football stuff
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Other non football stuff
Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: August 15, 2014 05:59AM

Lets say you are a NFL flameout. Vince Young, Ryan Leaf etc.

You have millions of dollars in the bank.

What do you do? Find a job? Sit back and enjoy life?

I think I would sit back and enjoy life, help others with giving of time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Other non football stuff
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 15, 2014 06:46AM

Would't that be such a better life for you instead of what you ussually do selling water in the streets.

You need to get off mimas basement dude.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 15, 2014 06:51AM

I would develop a serious crack habit

Date: August 15, 2014 07:03AM

Its a nice thought. I dream of retirement one day. 10 yrs is a possibility. 12-13 is more probable. In 15yrs I will be 63 and guarantee I will be chilling by that point. But I have went to funeral's recently of great young men in their 30's and early 40's as well so I choose to look at myself as fortunate to still get up every morning and hit it hard .

Look at Poor Robin Williams. sad smiley He had a few health issues , some money issues and he's done. Yesterday I went to a call where a 85 yr old gentlemen shot himself in the head. His wife past away last October , he had been diagnosed with cancer , and that's all she wrote.

STAY HEALTHY! Eat right , go get checked out once a year. If you have your health you are rich. Just ask Billionaire Steve Jobbs.

And if you don't....do you still have your family and friends? Can't put a price on that either. Millions in the bank is nice , but more to life then money. Its also the reason I admire Jimmy Johnson so much. When his parents past away he found out really quick what he had missed. Jimmy was on the way to building us a Superbowl caliber team. Our defense was second to none. But he left , lost weight , got healthy , discovered some bonor pills and lives happily ever after on a fishing boat.

That's "WINNING". Winner winner chicken diner........

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 15, 2014 09:18AM

Most important thing in life is health and your family then comes money.

You can work 8 hours a day and still live a happy life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 09:22AM by samsam3738.

Date: August 15, 2014 09:46AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most important thing in life is health and your
> family then comes money.
>
> You can work 8 hours a day and still live a happy
> life.

My second bit of "advice" and then I'll step off the soap box.....

Its not work if you enjoy it! Find a job you love and you never work again is a true statement. I used to live in NYC doing a job that I hated. I found a better way. I don't work hard Physically anymore, but being a cop can get to you psychologically if you let it. Try to live as stress free as you can. Even here I use the Ignore button and have a stress free environment. thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 15, 2014 10:31AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Most important thing in life is health and your
> > family then comes money.
> >
> > You can work 8 hours a day and still live a
> happy
> > life.
>
>
> My second bit of "advice" and then I'll step off
> the soap box.....
>
> Its not work if you enjoy it! Find a job you love
> and you never work again is a true statement. I
> used to live in NYC doing a job that I hated. I
> found a better way. I don't work hard Physically
> anymore, but being a cop can get to you
> psychologically if you let it. Try to live as
> stress free as you can. Even here I use the
> Ignore button and have a stress free environment.
> thumbs up

Thats exactly what i meant. I love what i do for a living. I don't have to do hard labor or anything. I work selling in an office with my computer, scanner and printer.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 15, 2014 12:05PM

I once said that I would do my job for free (assuming I was rich and could other take care of the needs of my family) and one of my colleagues could not understand it.

I always wondered whether he should be in our job.

Date: August 15, 2014 04:21PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I once said that I would do my job for free
> (assuming I was rich and could other take care of
> the needs of my family) and one of my colleagues
> could not understand it.
>
> I always wondered whether he should be in our job.

I get that. I play the lotto, but if I won I might just take some really nice vacations. I love my little house, My Job, just about everything. I'm looking forward to retiring to do just that , Travel. Otherwise I'm good. well......... I could do without seeing people blow their heads off anymore, but besides that I love it. winking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 15, 2014 05:04PM

If I won the lotto I'd be so out of my job

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 15, 2014 06:39PM

Treasure- I can't say I do what I do for the love of it, when I was younger I did a lot of chasing my dreams for the love of it. Now I do what I do for the jobs I try to create, lives I help support for the people I work with, for my family and hopefully their future.. I still do what I love but it is for the hobby of it now.... Being in the entertainment business or a professional big game fishing guide doesn't loan itself so much to stability and family life...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 15, 2014 07:59PM

Date: August 19, 2014 04:01AM

I work only for the family, otherwise I'd be finding a way to enjoy life more.

Work is fine, I feel lucky at times to have the job that I do, but I would prefer just enjoying life.

As a cop what do you think of all this stuff in MO?

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: August 19, 2014 06:01AM

I'd start a bunch of garbage threads on internet message boards, thereby driving a sizable chunk of the board's population to go post elsewhere.

Date: August 19, 2014 07:57AM

dolphin Wrote:
> I work only for the family, otherwise I'd be
> finding a way to enjoy life more.
>
> Work is fine, I feel lucky at times to have the
> job that I do, but I would prefer just enjoying
> life.
>
> As a cop what do you think of all this stuff in
> MO?

Think there are only two kinds of people in this world. Good and Bad. I teach my boys to respect people of all colors, all races, and sexual preferences. Doesn't matter.....good people are good people. Period.

I think in just 1 week the people of Ferguson Miss have set back race relations 60 yrs . Its disgraceful that the people fanning these flames are not held accountable.

I'm a bit scared doing my job today because of it. I'm 47. If a 18 yr old 300 pound robbery suspect ignores my orders and turns to fight me I can't defend myself? I would hope I would at least be afforded the right to a fair investigation of the facts like everyone else.

Its scary. The world is watching. Kids are watching. Teenagers are watching. This is much bigger then you all think. We are still feeling the effects of Rodney King 20 yrs later. All I can see is I've taught my Kids the best I can. I hope our elected officials can do the right thing.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: August 19, 2014 09:22AM

Date: August 20, 2014 06:03AM

It is crazy stuff for sure.

If the kid had been white nothing would have been said.

Date: August 20, 2014 08:27AM

Went to work today and we had about a dozen protesters at the driveway to the police station holding signs giving us the finger as we went to work. Even spotted a kid that was obviously picked up early from school for this outing. eye rolling smileyGreat way to start off the evening. Your welcome.

Its not even about that kid who died tragically anymore , or how you feel about it. Reports from Ferguson have some of the arrestees are from as far away as LA and NYC. They don't even live there.

The Media knows this. They love to pull the strings of the ignorant. Just don't believe everything you read is all I'm saying.

I couldn't be a politician or live in the spotlight for a second. Especially in this day and age . God bless......Lets go Dolphins!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: August 20, 2014 08:51AM

dolphin Wrote:
> It is crazy stuff for sure.
>
> If the kid had been white nothing would have been
> said.

That's because everyone still believes that if a white person is shot by cops, that the police, the feds and the criminal justice system will see that justice is done.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 20, 2014 09:51AM

You gotta stay positive TCP. A dozen aholes is not the majority of the people.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: August 20, 2014 10:14AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Went to work today and we had about a dozen
> protesters at the driveway to the police station
> holding signs giving us the finger as we went to
> work. Even spotted a kid that was obviously
> picked up early from school for this outing.
> eye rolling smileyGreat way to start off the evening. Your
> welcome.
>
> Its not even about that kid who died tragically
> anymore , or how you feel about it. Reports from
> Ferguson have some of the arrestees are from as
> far away as LA and NYC. They don't even live
> there.
>
> The Media knows this. They love to pull the
> strings of the ignorant. Just don't believe
> everything you read is all I'm saying.
>
> I couldn't be a politician or live in the
> spotlight for a second. Especially in this day and
> age . God bless......Lets go Dolphins!

I'm sure there are instances of bad cops and racial bias all over the world but it has been my experience that the majority of people who do not like cops are people who break the law and have no accountability for their actions or have low life loved ones who fit the description.

It's pure ignorance to have protestors in your neck of the woods over something that happened half way around the country. I say "why in the hell are you not at work?" Get a friggin job and a life!

Date: August 20, 2014 11:17AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> You gotta stay positive TCP. A dozen aholes is not
> the majority of the people.

That's a mouthful right there! Easy to fall into that trap if you want to. I see so much negative you start to think that's all there is sometimes. That's when it's time to turn it off and go play some music and watch some football! I need my Dolphins!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 20, 2014 11:28AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Went to work today and we had about a dozen
> > protesters at the driveway to the police
> station
> > holding signs giving us the finger as we went
> to
> > work. Even spotted a kid that was obviously
> > picked up early from school for this outing.
> > eye rolling smileyGreat way to start off the evening. Your
> > welcome.
> >
> > Its not even about that kid who died tragically
> > anymore , or how you feel about it. Reports
> from
> > Ferguson have some of the arrestees are from as
> > far away as LA and NYC. They don't even live
> > there.
> >
> > The Media knows this. They love to pull the
> > strings of the ignorant. Just don't believe
> > everything you read is all I'm saying.
> >
> > I couldn't be a politician or live in the
> > spotlight for a second. Especially in this day
> and
> > age . God bless......Lets go Dolphins!
>
> I'm sure there are instances of bad cops and
> racial bias all over the world but it has been my
> experience that the majority of people who do not
> like cops are people who break the law and have no
> accountability for their actions or have low life
> loved ones who fit the description.
>
> It's pure ignorance to have protestors in your
> neck of the woods over something that happened
> half way around the country. I say "why in the
> hell are you not at work?" Get a friggin job and a
> life!

Crazy right? People love to be victims. Some really sad people in this world. I remember after 911 people and businesses couldn't do enough for us. 13 yrs later it's a really different world. Kids are plotting on Facebook to blow up schools , you have cops excuted eating lunch, and apparently 300 pound NFL Lineman get bullied. eye rolling smiley oh well.

YOUR HEALTH. That's the most important thing. You have that you have the world by the balls.Take care of yourselves, no one else will.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 20, 2014 11:33AM

Ironically, there is a difference between shootings by prejudiced cops, which are rare, and shooting by scared cops which is usually at the bottom of most of these shootings.

Prejudiced cops take suspects to jail for things they would tell someone else of the majority race, particularly a teenager, to simply "go home" for. They are also savvy enough to know they don't need the hassle of accounting for a body, which always is like being under a microscope. Much better just to take him into custody.

Scared cops, which I think this kid cop in Ferguson was, are a different thing. They pull out their gun instead of their pepper spray or taser.

That's why that kid in St. Louis who kept saying "kill me" and had a knife in his hand but was quite a distance away and got shot and killed by a scared cop who was too frightened to think instead of pepper spraying or tasing him.

Granted there is overlap between prejudiced cops and scared cops but if I had to choose between which of the two I would have either of my two sons, who obviously are Black, being confronted by out alone at night, I'd take the prejudiced cop any day because I would only have to come to jail and bail him out rather than going to the morgue to view his body.

This kid cop was 28 years old and had been a police officer for 6 years, four of which was for another department. That meant he became a cop at 22.

The undisputed fact is that after the shooting this kid cop stood over Michael Brown's body for several minutes stunned and disbelieving what had happened....as if "did I really do this?" To me this was a sign that he shot out of fear.

Even if Michael Brown had charged at him, like Brown did to the storeowner, you tase the guy, you pepper spray him or you fire a warning shot at first. That does not justify the use of deadly force. You are always trained, or at least the LAPD is trained, to go ONE LEVEL ABOVE the force you are confronted with.

A gun should only be used if someone is within range and about to stab you with a knife.

You don't use a gun if someone swings his fists at you or charges you.

One of the complaints about the Ferguson Police Department is how over-militarized they are. If they are, I find it hard to believe that they don't have pepper-spray or tasers.

This kid (the police officer) kept firing until he had put six shots into Michael Brown which to me spells panic.

Date: August 20, 2014 01:57PM

ChyrenB. .....

Studies have been done and I can find video when I get home, a person with a knife can cover 27 ft in less then 3 seconds. Yeah you could pull a taser , but if it doesn't work or you miss, you only get one chance.Taser shoots one dart. My glock has 13. My son's need me.Guess which option I'm taking?

Level of force matrix here in Florida let's us jump to deadly force if we can articulate why. A 300 pound male certainly qualifies for deadly force. Especially if they are pounding you and trying to get your weapon.

I'm a 14 yr veteran and I am scared every day. Once your not scared you will get hurt. I'm parked as we speak with my car backed against a brick wall so I can see anyone coming. Complacency kills.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 20, 2014 02:37PM

Been a cop is one of the biggest responsabilies and most difficult jobs there is.

smileys with beer

Date: August 20, 2014 03:50PM

Date: August 20, 2014 05:33PM

Date: August 20, 2014 10:14PM

Date: August 21, 2014 07:30AM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.