HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Rejected again
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rejected again
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 25, 2014 05:52PM

Pats guy was offered job and turned it down. That's like 5 folks to say no to job or interviews. And we couldn't get harbaugh or fisher or manning

Rock bottom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rejected again
Posted by: davdoldew4 ()
Date: January 25, 2014 06:42PM

WOW, Mr Ross has opened a can of worms, or so it would seem.

Credibility might be a problem, did someone say CREDIBILITY MIGHT BE A PROBLEM, are you kidding me !

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: January 25, 2014 06:44PM

We're officially now worse than the Jags.

Date: January 25, 2014 06:52PM

has there ever been anything like this before? a nfl team has a GM opening and no one wants it? I don't want to hear any excuses from anyone, or that this is a media creation---this is an utter and total embarassment

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: January 25, 2014 06:55PM

Instead of taking half-measures (again!), Ross should have made a clean sweep. Keeping Philbin is a huge mistake!

Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: January 25, 2014 06:55PM

At this point give the job to Gaine...

He has one year to make playoffss...or both he and philbin and all the staff are goners!

No one in their right mind would take this job....

Its basically a one year do or die proposition....

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 25, 2014 06:59PM

I still think it's because Ross is offering a job with a bunch of restraints including not only existing personnel but even new personnel in Lazor, even though he might be a good OC.

In other words, "so you're telling me that I'm going to be the MANAGER of the team. but you hired an OC right before you interviewed me? And your other non-negotiable is that the Head Coach stays? And from the sounds of the music I'm hearing, I'm going to be UNDER Philbin in terms of the real power. AND ADDED TO IT, there is another person, Dawn Aponte between me and Ross? No sale."

Why then did as many people interview as did?

They wanted to see it for themselves. But as each left the interview, he understood why those going before him had turned down the job.

Date: January 25, 2014 07:13PM

steviec13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At this point give the job to Gaine...
>
> He has one year to make playoffss...or both he and
> philbin and all the staff are goners!
>
> No one in their right mind would take this
> job....
>
> Its basically a one year do or die proposition....

yup, this is the same story for the past 5 years. Sporano, one more year to prove it or he's gone. Ireland, one more year to prove it or he's gone. Philbin, one more year to prove or he's gone! same thing with our "new" GM Gaine. One year to show us or clear him out.

This team is so dysfunctinal it's pathetic. All because Ross was too dumb to dump Sporano and Ireland at the same time, and then too dumb to learn from his mistake and dump Philbin and Ross at the same time. So we can't get anyone good to coach the team b/c they don't want to be stuck with Ireland, and we can't get anyone to even take the GM job because they don't want to be stuck with Philbin. And no one wants to work here b/c the owner is too stupid to notice what everyone can see coming a mile away.

just sick of this crap already...

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 26, 2014 04:24AM

Date: January 26, 2014 05:04AM

i read that article and it only mentions 1 person who turned down the job, for more $$ with the jags.
nothing like this embarassment here where we can't give the job away
and it we are comparing ourselves to the jets (and coming off worse in comparison) we are in big trouble

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 26, 2014 06:31AM

Posted by: Anemone1 ()
Date: January 26, 2014 06:37AM

Date: January 26, 2014 07:30AM

Anemone1 Wrote:
> Looks like we have our GM now. Dennis Hickey. As
> college scout for the Bucs he did help with some
> very good drafts for them the last 3 years.
>
> Dennis Hickey Bio

Bucs are # 27 on the Power rankings at a Top Ten draft pick team at 4-12. Excuse me If I'm not elated. confused smiley But its not like he was the head honcho there so he gets a pass. All the head Honcho's turned us down. And a few Directors of player personnel so he wasn't even the first choice amongst lower tier guys. Hope he was just one of these under the wire kind of guys that was overlooked.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 26, 2014 07:34AM

what head honchos turned us down?

the only candidate to ever hold the GM title was Xanders.

Date: January 26, 2014 07:39AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> what head honchos turned us down?
>
> the only candidate to ever hold the GM title was
> Xanders.

Well the were not "directors" of anything. Except for the Pats guy when Our list grew really really short. Most held assistant roles in the position we are actually seeking. Did you really need a clarification on that or do you just enjoy being difficult?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 26, 2014 08:28AM

how is that being difficult?

we interviewed 2nd tier personnel types whether pro or college.

tom gamble turned us down. he has the same title as everyone else we interviewd.

ray farmer...same title.

big deal.

i wouldn't call them head honcho types.

and if i recall correctly the last "head honco" type we hired was parcells and he saddled us with ireland and sparano.

until ross sells the team or hands it over to a czar type with clout we will never attract a top candidate.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 26, 2014 10:11AM

(R/J)ay Wrote:
> We're officially now worse than the Jags.

How so?

Rick

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 26, 2014 10:59AM

Anemone1 Wrote:
> Looks like we have our GM now. Dennis Hickey. As
> college scout for the Bucs he did help with some
> very good drafts for them the last 3 years.
>
> Dennis Hickey Bio

None of us here on the board know how much Hickey contributed in the drafts and FA.

My problem with Hickey is that he was with TB for the last 18(?) years and they didn't even want to give him an interview. That alone tells me something.

Hope the Fins didn't make (another) mistake. But...if they did, Ross can dump everyone next year and sell the team to someone who either knows what he is doing or can bring in someone who knows what he is doing.

Posted by: Anemone1 ()
Date: January 26, 2014 12:59PM

Just looking at the last 3 Bucs drafts (when Hickey was college scout for the Bucs), these are some of the players they drafted:

2011: Adrian Clayborn (starter), DaQuan Bowers (situational player), Mason Foster (starter), Luke Stocker (starter), Ahmad Black (backup), Anthony Gaitor (backup)

2012: Mark Barron (starter), Doug Martin (starter,pro-bowler), Lavonte David (starter, pro-bowler),

2013: Jonathan Banks (starter), Mike Glennon (starter), Akeem Spence (starter), William Gholston (backup, occasional starter), Mike James (backup)

That's 9 starters and 2 pro-bowlers. Last year they didn't have a 1st round pick that they traded to the J-E-S-T for Revis. That's not a bad draft history. How much of that is due to Hickey is unknown.

Date: January 26, 2014 01:07PM

Date: January 26, 2014 01:59PM

Let me close my eyes and imagine he was just hired by another team and laugh.

If I let myself awakened to the reality that he was really hired by us, I won't be able to stop crying.

Date: January 26, 2014 03:42PM

as a fan all I can do is hope we lucked ourselves into a good gm.

caserio turned us down because he wanted to can philbin. that's great but had that happened we'd have the clown mcdaniels as our coach so when these guys want to bring in their own guy it's not always for the better.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: January 28, 2014 12:19PM

If this GM is a failure, looks like the PATS will run the division once again for many years to come sad smiley

Date: January 28, 2014 01:32PM

Did you really mean to put a sad face on that dolfan1?

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 28, 2014 02:23PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Let me close my eyes and imagine he was just hired
> by another team and laugh.
>
> If I let myself awakened to the reality that he
> was really hired by us, I won't be able to stop
> crying.

Chyren, remember when I said the only thing that scares me more then not firing Ireland was the idea of Ross being in charge of hiring the next GM....... Do you see my point now? We should never have fired Ireland as much as I disliked the guy, until we had someone in mind and better to take his place... Firing a guy with no legitimate back up plan makes zero sense... You fire somebody on your own time when it works best for your organization... I really dislike the philosophies by which Ross conducts his business with this organization... As much as I love the Dolphins, if I was offered a high paying job as an executive in this organization under Ross, I wouldn't take it.... IMO it is just setup for failure, the way they seem to conduct business externally and internally.... I guarantee you Ross doesn't run his other successful companies in this manner... You can't....

All that being said and how it looks on the surface, I am going to give Hickey a chance and see what he does this year in FA and draft.... I don't like the hire, like just about everybody, but we got what we got and the guy deserves a chance to prove us all wrong... Nothing would make me happier...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: January 28, 2014 03:19PM

No matter gets firing Ireland was the right move

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 28, 2014 03:25PM

What's worse? Two average leaders working together or two average leaders divided?

Did anyone notice that the "leaders" involved with bullygate are disappearing????

Ireland and his stupid comment about the subject....gone

Sherman. The leader of the unit with the problem...gone

Turner...new OL coach hire today.......almost gone.

Coincidence? maybe.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: January 28, 2014 03:32PM

Berk- Firing a guy doesn't mean much, it is who you replace him with that determines whether or not it was a good decision... With how this guy is being portrayed and scouted, he might wind up making Ireland look like a protege.... I sure hope the scouts and opinions on him are wrong... It will be a sad day in Dolphinville if we start missing Ireland as fans...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: January 28, 2014 03:46PM

eesti Wrote:
> What's worse? Two average leaders working together
> or two average leaders divided?
>
> Did anyone notice that the "leaders" involved with
> bullygate are disappearing????
>
> Ireland and his stupid comment about the
> subject....gone
>
> Sherman. The leader of the unit with the
> problem...gone
>
> Turner...new OL coach hire today.......almost
> gone.
>
> Coincidence? maybe.

You make a good point eesti, maybe it is about guys working together more then talent without being a team. This seems like a Philbin hire... Maybe 2 guys that agree and have the same vision is what has held both of them individually back from greater success... Very possible and optimistic approach, but I will buy it for the time being....

The only thing that makes me skeptical is Cam Cameron and Randy Mueller were best buds as they sank the ship together with the wrong vision, coaching and analysis... Sometimes it might be better to have positions of your coach and GM questioned and a devils advocate view between them...without the disfunction

Nietzsche

Date: January 28, 2014 04:15PM

eesti Wrote:
> What's worse? Two average leaders working together
> or two average leaders divided?
>
> Did anyone notice that the "leaders" involved with
> bullygate are disappearing????
>
> Ireland and his stupid comment about the
> subject....gone
>
> Sherman. The leader of the unit with the
> problem...gone
>
> Turner...new OL coach hire today.......almost
> gone.
>
> Coincidence? maybe.

huh? why are you leaving the HC off the list of people responsible? you are blaming sherman and not philbin?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.