HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Their has been much debate about keeping Tannehill
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Their has been much debate about keeping Tannehill
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: January 01, 2014 06:16PM

Or replacing him with another QB. Let's look at from this stand point.
!st 3 games we won, and Tannehill pretty well. Game 4 against the Saints Tannehill not so good, and we got destroyed. Had a chance to go up before half time until Tanne throws a bad pick essentially game over. Game5 Tanne is outplayed by Joe Flacco, and we lose. Does not play like a franchise QB. Game 6 Tanne throws a pick six throws another int in the endzone, and loses the ball at the end of the game when he is sacked very piss poor play by him. Not the answer at QB. Game 7 The Patriots Tanne plays good for a half the Patriots make adjustments, and we don't score another point all game. Bad Tanne outplayed by the hall of famer. Does not know how to adjust to what teams are doing to him.
Game 8 Tanne plays decent we win despite what he does on a saftety Tanne plays OK does not kill this team with mistakes. Takes an end zone safety to win. Clearly not a franchise QB again. Game 9 Tanne outplayed by a rookie on MNF clearly once again not a frnchise QB. Team lost to a yet no winner on national TV. Bad Tanne at work throwa a late pick to seal the embarrassment. Game 10 Tanne plays ok we beat the Chargers thanks to a last play int by Grimes. Maybe Tanne can be the savior. Game 11 a very winnable game did not score Td's in the redzone, and no 2nd half points again. sorry not a franchise QB again. Game 12 his best game of the season Tanne plays well except for a few hickups the Jets are blown out. Maybe he will turn it around. Game 13 against the Steelers play OK has a bad pick, but does lead team to a victory we might have found our QB after all. Game 14 plays well enough to beat Brady, and the Patriots. still left some points on the field, and we almost lost on the last play. However Tanne play decent once again we might be starting a trend. Game 15 against the Bills we are shutout no Td's or field goals. The Bills beat us like a drum in a must win game for us to have an street cred. Tanne, and this team fail miserably. Terrible Tanne. WTF just happened alot of us are asking ourselves. Out played by Thadeus Lewis once again very bad to terrible Tanne. Game 16 a must win against the hated rival the Jets Tanne clearly outplayed by a bum named Geno Smith. Tanne throws 3 picks, and makes terrible decisions with the ball. we lose teams hope for the playoffs are crushed fan are left to wonder WTF just happened. Out played by a player that was benched by his coach in the 1st meeting. Their you go clearly I hope I demonstrated that Tanne is not a franchise QB, and might not ever become one even with proper coaching. I say new regime, cut your losses, and get a player that you can trust too win us the winnable games on our schedule. Tanne goes back to receiver, and Lauren does playboy all our happy me thinks. Sorry went kind of long, but I had too do it to show how I think he played this year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Their has been much debate about keeping Tannehill
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 01, 2014 06:33PM

Don't apologize, you accurately describe the roller coaster of my emotions and I backed Tanny and argued with dolphin until after the very last game of the season where I saw what you saw.

To me, Tanny gets competition next year. Not first round competition unless one of the big three falls to us but definitely a later round pick.

Posted by: Sickofit+1 ()
Date: January 01, 2014 08:20PM

Lmao. So sad. Your right nevermind Sherman's ridiculous play calling. How about when other defenses didn't key into our amazing play calling he played great. However when the Defensive coordinator for other teams limit our offense, well sorry I do not agree with you on this. Really this is so much worse than Henne haters.

Date: January 01, 2014 08:32PM

I agree.......They are looking too hard for solutions. You can't race a Ferrari without a good driver. There hasn't been a Rookie QB with so much Raw Talent in years. Tannehill has had one coach his entire adult life. Sherman. Watch who gets fired first. Gee I wonder why? On top of that add the worst Oline in the History of the Dolphins, one of the Top three EVER. Add to that Terrible play calling AND How many great dropped balls? And he still managed to throw for 3913 Yds . If just one or two of those dropped passes were caught he would be the first QB to throw for 4000 yds in a season since Dan Marino.

Not to mention 238 yds rushing. Get this Kid some help and he will be devastating. You people really make me laugh. You deserved Chad Henne.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 01, 2014 09:57PM

Yes he was incomsistent but he still put up very solid numbers this season overall.

But to insinuate tht we lost the games we did BECAUSE of RT is ludicrous. RT, to be sure, was a part in those losses but the thing many are completely forgetting is;

1. Almost zero running game all year...in fact one of, if not THE the worst in franchise history. (and that's saying something)
2. Worst O-Line play in the league...by far. (Easily the worst in franchise history)
3. A franchise record for sacks given up and an almost NFL record too.
4. Almost zero run defense after the first three games.
5. A pass defense that let opposing teams sustain drives and get back into games on most weeks.
6. Stupid penalties at bad times....suspect ref's
7. Suspect play calling all year.
8. Losing Gibson and not being able to replace him as RT was quickly gaining a rapport with him as a go-to guy.
9. Clay MIA all too often.
10. Zero halftime adjustments...or at least I didn't see any.
11. Losing his best pass actching TE in Keller.

These are factors that are completely impossible to overlook.

This is quite a list for any second year QB to deal with...and he still put up top ten in the NFL numbers, as well as a top ten in Phins history performance for a QB. He out-played established veterans such as Romo, E, Manning, and Flacco just to name a few, for the season, and on one great day he out dualed Brady. Through it all he showed poise, growth, hung tough, and didn't get down on himself or go into the tank after making a mistake...when was the last time we had a QB that could say those things?

I mean come on...he's just completed his second season and he's already number 4 on the franchise all time list. (I know, I know...who was the competition)

1. Marino (as if anyone here didn't already know this) 61,361 yards
2. Griese (Again as if anyone didn't know) 25,092
3. Fiedler 11,040 yards
4. Tannehill 7207 yards

At the rate he's played so far, he'll most likely pass Jay Fiedler this coming season (3833 more yards), and will most likely pass Griese at the end of his seventh season. (17,885 more yards) Of course, this is barring any injuries.

I think he's done enough so far to think he'll continue to grow and that he's the guy we need at the position. I'm eagerly awaiting the 2014 season so I can see how much more he's grown...He'll be better, bank on it.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 02, 2014 02:14AM

It's undeniable, but a real shame that he dropped his two worst performances - by a good bit - in his last two weeks. Prior to those two, in 14 games, he had one rating in the high 50s, one 60.8 and one 71.2. The other 11 were 82.3 or higher. And, he strung 7 such games in a row from the first of November through mid-December. I still can't put my finger on why his last 2 weeks were so bad, but he led the team from 3-4 to 8-6 during that 7-game stretch, and it also can't be denied that he was absolutely the primary reason we won so many in that stretch.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: January 02, 2014 03:00AM

People are looking too hard to make him good.

He cannot throw the deep ball. that cannot be fixed.. you can or you can't.

His pocket presecnce gets him sacked often.

All QB's have dropped balls.

I watched a lot of the bowl games and most of the QB's were throwing the deep ball with no problem.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 02, 2014 03:21AM

Date: January 02, 2014 03:23AM

Are you sure about no one in the media debating it????

A few teams have running games. The Vikings, they are bad.

Packers running game not much, but they are in the playoffs.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: January 02, 2014 03:36AM

The failure of half-time adjustments, and the downright predictability of the snap calls are indicative of extremely poor coaching.

I know Tannehill missed lots of deep throw routes this season, but it's hard to tell if his failures this season are a symptom of the disease of the Philbin/Sherman antiquated offensive system. I still have some minor hope that Tannehill could emerge in a more imaginative play calling system that is based on more moving pocket/short passes and screens.

It's time to clean house and roll the dice, we need a new direction.

Date: January 02, 2014 03:40AM

dolphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you sure about no one in the media debating
> it????

Are you?

>
> A few teams have running games. The Vikings, they
> are bad.

Exception, not the rule. The Vikes also have one of the worst defenses in the league and sporatic offenses.

>
> Packers running game not much, but they are in the
> playoffs.

The Packers are the 7th ranked rushing offense in the league!!! Really?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: January 02, 2014 03:55AM

What team does have a good running game and are in the playoffs?

The bengals? they are more of a passing team.
The patriots? they are more of a passing team.
The Colts? they are more of a passing team.

Shall I go on???

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: January 02, 2014 04:45AM

Hey I saw what I saw, and Out of all the QB's in the playoffs which one would you rather have instead of Tanne. Aaron Rodgers that's a no brainer. Kapernick at least he runs when pressured. Wilson has played better as a 3rd round pick. Nick Foles clearly was the reason the Eagles made the playoffs. Newton I hate too say it played better than Tanne. Lastly Brees no comparison clearly better. ON the NFC side I would say with the exception of Kapernick all of the QB's are clearly better.

The AFC let's see Manning come on folks. Brady who would you take. Rivers has played well, and is an elite QB. Dalton played well, but maybe Tanne can be better with time. Luck has clearly out performed Tanne on a previously 2-14 team. Alex Smith completely turned the chiefs around in one season. Maybe Dalton other than that Tanne would not start for any of these teams. Don't you guys see without a decent I'm coming too play in every game QB like Marino we will never ever be good again.

Out of all of the QB's in the draft next year the player I think
that is most pro ready is A. J. McCarron. I know he has played on great
teams however he does throw a nice deep ball, and can scramble when necessary. I think he plays in the league 10 plus years. I would take
him in the 3rd 4th round then let's see who wins a open QB competition.
My money is on McCarron in that case.

Date: January 02, 2014 05:15AM

dolphin Wrote:
> What team does have a good running game and are in
> the playoffs?

Your missing the point. I'm not saying you ONLY have to have a good rushing team to make the playoffs. I'm saying your odds increase when you are not one-sided. That's common knowledge in the NFL. If there is no threat of the running game, teams can just play nickel and dime defense to shut down your passing game.

If you cannot pass protect, teams can get pressure rushing 4 and dropping everyone else in coaverage.

>
> The bengals? they are more of a passing team.

110 yards per game average. That's middle of the road but they also have the NFL's BEST pass protecting team.

> The patriots? they are more of a passing team.

They are ranked 9th with 129 ypg avg...and a 15 year vet, HOF QB and HC.

> The Colts? they are more of a passing team. 109 ypg avg
>
> Shall I go on???

Go on with what? I'm still waiting for you make a point. So far you just stating unfounded theories like the Packers and Patriots can't rush the ball.

Like I said, its not JUST the lack of rushing but when you combine it with a team that is THE NFL's worst pass protecting team AND cannot stop the run on defense....it is a recipe for failure. You hvae not disproven any of my other statements.

So Indy made the playoffs without a running game? OK..what's the point there? Again I am talking rules, not exceptions or anomalies.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 02, 2014 05:17AM

In order to fairly access Thill's chops we need to give the kid a decent OL and some functionality in the running game.

I think it's nonsense to equate Thill and the Sloth in the same comparison -- Ryan is a vastly superior athlete and has demonstrated superior skills across the board. However, the Sloth was (and is) a superior deep ball thrower -- something many have noted Ran needs to work on.

IMO Thill won more games for us this year the HE lost. The final loss is a total team effort and it was obvious when Hartline went down Thill was somewhat "exposed."

We're in the same situation we thought we were in a month or so ago. We need a new OL and some degree of coaching staff reorg. The least we should do is get a new OC, QB coach and OL coach. In fact let the OC put his staff together from the ground up and forget all this inbred cronyism.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 05:19AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 02, 2014 05:41AM

I can't believe there's still a debate on this.

Date: January 02, 2014 06:31AM

Yeah, I mean this debate is stupid. Really stupid. I normally all for different opinions, however your just wrong if you feel Tanny is not franchise material. He put up better numbers than his draft class this year.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 02, 2014 07:05AM

WE had like 12 TD! Spent a lot on Wallace and Hartline.

Issue both QB & OL. Chad Henne put up #'s moving between 20's but could not put ball in end zone. Rt a bit better but still work in progress. Good QB deal with issues. Brady puts up #'s with OL injuries and new WR.
If you can't complete the deep ball regularly you aren't long for starting in the NFL

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 02, 2014 07:15AM

Tanne improved this year and made some throws that he was missing on last year. Sill needs to improve on the long ball but I think he can and will.

Date: January 02, 2014 07:49AM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: January 02, 2014 10:02AM

Whew ... you guy gotta be kidding.

Tannehill is one of the bright spots of the season and this is what you guys think is wrong?

Sorry a lot more blame to throw around than pointing at Tannehill.

- New OC yes, new OL yes

Fix that and a lot gets better ala running game, protection = offense.

Please find something better to whine about than the QB. Thats the one thing that was much improved this year.

Some of the passes he threw in the last NE game were amazing!

Date: January 02, 2014 10:08AM

Last year RT had no WR's and struggled. Surprise? Not really. His o-line had blocking issues BUT they also had a blocking TE, a very good pass protecting RB who both, far too often, had to stay in and block instead of running pass routes.

This year he had NO BLOCKING. NO RB to help turn nothing into something AND NO TE, RB or FB that could do anything resembling a block. He still improved.

Imagine what that sort of QB could do with no gaping holes on offense. Is it really that hard to figure out....JEFF?

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 02, 2014 10:14AM

montequi Wrote:
> I can't believe there's still a debate on this.

I'm sure this debate will continue on until RT makes the Pro Bowl and gets to the Super Bowl.

Date: January 02, 2014 10:34AM

captkoi Wrote:
> montequi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I can't believe there's still a debate on this.
>
> *****************************************
>
> I'm sure this debate will continue on until RT
> makes the Pro Bowl and gets to the Super Bowl.

They will just find something else to complain about. Probably because drafting in the 32nd spot is just a glorified #2 pick anyway..........eye rolling smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: davdoldew4 ()
Date: January 02, 2014 11:02AM

A QB that can't complete the long ball even when given time.

A QB that can't decide to get rid of the ball and eats it, giving the momentum to the opposing defense.

A QB that is very inconsistent missing open receivers, game on the line.

A QB With a minute to go and down seven points you just know the game is over. He takes another sack deep in his own territory, fully knowing that it is a game killer.

With the Game on the line stands on the sideline, no sense of urgency and picks his nose on National TV.

Franchise QB ?????

Date: January 02, 2014 11:16AM

davdoldew4 Wrote:
> A QB that can't complete the long ball even when
> given time.
>
> A QB that can't decide to get rid of the ball and
> eats it, giving the momentum to the opposing
> defense.
>
> A QB that is very inconsistent missing open
> receivers, game on the line.
>
> A QB With a minute to go and down seven points you
> just know the game is over. He takes another sack
> deep in his own territory, fully knowing that it
> is a game killer.
>
> With the Game on the line stands on the sideline,
> no sense of urgency and picks his nose on National
> TV.
>
> Franchise QB ?????

Almost 4000 YDs. With these crappy coaches and oline. 238 rushing. No one said he was perfect , but I'm sure glad we have him over RGIII right now, or Geno Smith.

Tell me what should Miami have done? Sucked for Luck? Who else was available that we should have taken with the 7th overall draft pick? Who was better? Who should we take with the 19th over pick? Dan Marino the second could be at the 19th pick, he is not going to do anybetter without a New Oline and a better OC coach and system. You guys make me laugh.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: davdoldew4 ()
Date: January 02, 2014 11:48AM

To the very nice young man that responded to my opinion on QB, Ryan
Tannehill, It ain't lying if it is true !!

I really do appreciate your loyalty and love for the team that is so lacking in some Fans.

Speaking solely for myself, I have been a devoted fan since their inception, and frankly after Sparano with his fist pumps and now Philbin with the emotion of a dishrag, I do not respect the product they produced and put on the field.

That unfortunately includes Tannehill who I think is a backup QB at best. Now,I could be wrong about Tannehill, that goes without saying, but it is my strong opinion that given a new coaching staff with a fresh outlook and talent evaluation, Tannehill will not be the answer.

Tip of the Old Hat to you great Fans that stand up for what you believe in.

Good Day !!

Dave

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: January 02, 2014 11:54AM

Sickofit+1 Wrote:
> Yeah, I mean this debate is stupid. Really stupid.
> I normally all for different opinions, however
> your just wrong if you feel Tanny is not franchise
> material. He put up better numbers than his draft
> class this year.

Unfortunately love him or hate him he is here to stay boys. I will continue to support him because in reality he's all we've got in the pocket that is worth a shit. Get him a good OC that doesn't have his head up his own ass and things will change

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 02, 2014 12:41PM

Date: January 02, 2014 04:13PM

When Tanny turns in 4k plus yardage next year and hits more on his deep passes, I would really like it if all you non believers will punch your face hard. That is all I ask. Guy only has three half years starting qb since high school and he is top 15 in pros out of 32 starting. Your an idiot to debate this. Simply mind blowing idiot.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.