Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I am guessing the #25 pick will be defense....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I am guessing the #25 pick will be defense....
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 03, 2009 08:59AM

We have added alot to the O-line. So our Offense is set except the WR position, but I find it hard to believe BP drafting a WR in the first round. The pick has to be defense....lets look at our holes. In no particular order:

DT- Fergusen is the starter, but he is becoming ancient in DT years. Soliai is a backup as of now at best. This is a position that needs to be addressed quickly......I could see Ron Brace out of BC being the pick in the 2nd round.

MLB- Crowder is a consistent player, Ayodele is quality backup along with the other guys. We still need a big time MLB.....Who we take at this position I am really clueless about. I think we address it later in the draft unless Ray Maualuga miraculously drops to us. I dont think the trifecta like Lauranitis. JMO. Have no facts to back it up and I could very well be proved wrong on draft day.

OLB- Roth isnt cutting it as a starter. This could very well be our first position addressed on draft day. Look for Clay Matthews, Larry English or Aaryn Mayben to be the first Dolphin selected on day 1.

CB- Will Jason Allen finally break through? Will Allen is solid but getting older. Goodman is now in Denver. This position will be heavily added to come draft day. Look for Sean Smith, Alphonso Smith or DJ Moore to be the pick at 2A, with Captain Mutterlyn being our pick in round 3.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I am guessing the #25 pick will be defense....
Date: March 03, 2009 09:01AM

Defense, defense, defense come draft day.

---------------------

Posted by: coopdogg3 ()
Date: March 03, 2009 09:06AM

Percy Harvin might be an interesting choice, he's the only WR that I could see the Dolphins taking at 25. I would love it if he fell to us in the 2nd round. He's an injury risk, but the man has talent.

Date: March 03, 2009 09:12AM

I cant see BP drafting a WR in the 1st. Hard to see it.

---------------------

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 03, 2009 09:47AM

I agree mostly.

Add Darius Butler to your list of CB's but I like Sean Smith. CB is our number one priority right now.

I see now that Brian Cushing is being projected as 4-3 Sam or a 3-4 ILB. Could be a nice WILB.

I guess Grove is now the starting Center with his 5 mil per year deal. That is frightening considering his injury history.

I don't agree that Roth isn't cutting it as a starter. We could use and upgrade there if we can add a dominant player but it is not a huge hole. SOLB never gets as many sacks as the WOLB but does get more tackles. Roth had 53 tackles, 5 sacks and 2 FF's in 14/16 games as a starter. I think Wake gives him competition and may play SOLB but could also move to WOLB as Joey declines or gets cut or traded.

By comparison, Jarret Johnson (Ravens SOLcool smiley had 57/5/2 as a full time starter from day 1 on the number 2 defense in the league.

If we could get a LaMarr Woodley (Pit SOLcool smiley type then I would say heck yes but that is unlikely. He had 60/11.5, 1 int, 4 FR and 1 TD.

Pit is a more active defensive scheme though and blitzes more.

Greg Ellis (Dal SOLcool smiley had 36/8 with 1 Int.

It was also Roth's first season at LBer and he had just beefed up to play 3-4 DE.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: March 03, 2009 10:33AM

yeah I agree, you obviously know more about defense than I do so here is a question. If we keep roth (whom I like because I LOVE guys that can make tackles) any theories on how we can manufacture pressure on the qb. We had success with the corner blitz but very chancy. If roth cannot bring pressure I dont see how we can consistenly bring pressure unless we bring in anderson which is a situational LB. We could look to langford who is very active inside, hopefully he can continue to be a run stopper but put more pressure on the a qb next season. He had 25 tackles and only 2 sacks last year. I would like to see him get up into the 6-8 sack range next year.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 03, 2009 10:44AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 03, 2009 01:41PM

That certainly seems like the most value as you compare it to the available CB's.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 03, 2009 01:55PM

I would take best player available. if a top OL fell to us I'd be fine with it. but I agree it is looking like the first pick will be on D. we're in a good position to take the highest rated D player who falls.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 03, 2009 02:44PM

Wow really, since we just signed a C thats a bold statement. NOT

Date: March 03, 2009 02:48PM

I love Nicks and would hope if he fell to us that we would pick him. But, I do not think the trifecta are interested in drafting a WR with the #25 overall. Matter of fact, I dont think they will pick one until 4th round or later. I just cant see BP drafting a WR in the first.

I think they want to bolster the D. I think the pick will be Larry English or Clay Matthews.

---------------------

Date: March 03, 2009 03:02PM

SEAN SMITH 6'4 214 4.5/40

This is the youngblood that will shut down RANDY MOSS twice a year.
He WILL NOT fall to #44- IMO cleary this is the CHOICE

With the attributes he brings to the table. Maybe he'll play booth ways one day.

"Don't tell me about the pain, show me the baby." - BP

Date: March 03, 2009 03:12PM

.....and can we PLEASE start calling them the HOLY TRINITY instead of the TRIFECTA. I think it sounds cooler, and GOD is fine with it. Maybe we'll do a poll.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 03, 2009 04:24PM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .....and can we PLEASE start calling them the HOLY
> TRINITY instead of the TRIFECTA. I think it
> sounds cooler, and GOD is fine with it. Maybe
> we'll do a poll.

Doesn't really work for us Unitarians spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 04, 2009 12:21PM

I agree Aqua that 2 out of our first 3 picks will be spent on Defense. The other will be spent on a WR. Now which pick will go where... not to sure about.But our top needs are DT, CB. and WR.Now it all depends on whois available where to determine, what we do. For example,if Raji by some rare miracle were to be available at 25, we pick him. If Malcom Jenkins falls, he will be picked like Merlin did last year. If Harvin or Nicks or the speedster from Maryland are available, one of those guys have a good shot. I am also relying on a small school pick by the Tri, in the first 4 rounds ie Kendall Langford from Hampton last year in the third.

Date: March 04, 2009 12:33PM

the last time parcell was part of drafting a WR in first round, 1996 Terry Glenn #7 overall, he would later quit saying that Kraft forced him to draft Glenn instead of a defensive player like he wanted. This is where his famous line came from in referring to the drafting of Glenn. "If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries" So history would tell us that you are right Aqua

Posted by: bpa ()
Date: March 04, 2009 01:40PM

I didn't know what catalized that famous quote. Thanks. That's interesting.

I think we are going to fill our CB hole with Green, so we are open to the BPA (BPA does not refer to me. BPA are actually my initials, but I have as much chance of playing for the our Phins as Ron Brace has becoming the winning jockey in the Kentucky Derby). Personally, I was hoping that BP would draft Duke Williams in the first round and Ron Brace in the second. The problem is that some believe Brace will be going before our first second round pick and he probably isn't worth the first round pick. If I had to bet on this, I think we get Clay Matthews.

Date: March 05, 2009 02:15AM

Posted by: bpa ()
Date: March 05, 2009 09:15AM

Yup. I had a end of the day brain fart. Duke Robinson. I don't think Smiley is durable enough to make it through the season, and really like the thought of Robinson/Long teamed up. I think there's v. little chance that will happen though.

Date: March 05, 2009 09:54AM

With Cameron Wake, CHanning Crowder, Joey Porter and Matt Roth and TOrbor and Ayedole, I don't think we draft a first round LB unless one of the top 2 guys fall and we can't resist, don't think we stretch as far as drafting Mathews with the 25pick. CB or DT, most likely IMO, but maybe Parcell will break all of history and for the first time willingly take a WR in the first round.

Date: March 05, 2009 10:02AM

HE has willingly drafted WRs' in the second round before....a few times including Antonio Bryant # 63 in 2002. SO maybe they are hoping the WR they want will fall to them in the 2nd.

Date: March 05, 2009 10:05AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> With Cameron Wake, CHanning Crowder, Joey Porter
> and Matt Roth and TOrbor and Ayedole, I don't
> think we draft a first round LB unless one of the
> top 2 guys fall and we can't resist, don't think
> we stretch as far as drafting Mathews with the
> 25pick. CB or DT, most likely IMO, but maybe
> Parcell will break all of history and for the
> first time willingly take a WR in the first round.

I don't know. Torbor is overpaid and not an effective ILB. Ayodele is at-best average. We're thin at ILB. We're OK at OLB.

Date: March 05, 2009 10:10AM

Thinner then at CB or DT

Date: March 05, 2009 10:11AM

and thin enough to stretch for one in the first round that doesn't really belong there

Date: March 05, 2009 10:14AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Thinner then at CB or DT

Maybe at CB, but you only play ONE NT at a time. We have 2, and one of them (Ferguson) is a solid starter. That's not thin.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: March 05, 2009 10:17AM

its funny to use NT and thin in the same sentence...

Date: March 05, 2009 10:19AM

Date: March 05, 2009 10:21AM

Ferguson 34, SOlia has had some team issues and not blown away anyone as the heir apparent.... So I'd say we are one play away from being in trouble, so that is thin...no?
thin NT, is humerous

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 05, 2009 10:40AM

Yes if fergie gets hurt we are in trouble.

We should draft a NT as soon as possible

In order of need IMO 1st 4 rounds.

1- CB since goodman in gone or WR

2.WR or CB

2.DT Fergie isn't getting any younger and soliai hasn't dominated

3.LB porter isn't getting any younger.

4.OL for depth Our starters are in place.

Can't wait for the draft ,its only about a month and a half away.

Last year we drafted the right players in the first 3 rounds. and got thomas in the 6th. Im hoping for another successfull draft and we will be much more improved.

I just get the feeling the tuna is going to be trading up if he sees the right player. He is going to make it happen , he always has.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2009 10:45AM by samsam3738.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: March 05, 2009 11:03AM

You guys are thinking too much, BP's strategy has always been best player available, he never drafts for need. smiling smiley

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.