HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          An example of racial slurs among friends in NFL locker room
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
An example of racial slurs among friends in NFL locker room
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: November 04, 2013 11:10AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: An example of racial slurs among friends in NFL locker room
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: November 04, 2013 11:14AM

So is this a rule and so every black and white people in the world is ok w/ this?

Date: November 04, 2013 11:17AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So is this a rule and so every black and white
> people in the world is ok w/ this?

Nope, just trying to give some context for the use of racial slurs in an NFL locker room...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 04, 2013 11:20AM

Right Mizzou. You have to have that type of relationship for that to work.

There may be one guy who you would just laugh at and another guy who you would flip out on.

I remember once when I was a teenager in OK, and I was in a group of two other guys and a group of White kids rode by in a car and the knucklehead in our bunch yelled out a racial epithet, one that really used to drive them crazy and it was not the C word listed above, it was the P word, and the car went a short distance and screeched, and backed up and said, "What did you say?" and thinking fast I said, "We said that's a cool car!" and they said "Oh" and smiled and drove off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 11:21AM by ChyrenB.

Date: November 04, 2013 11:24AM

Sure Chyren- But I bet Delmas could use a voicemail from Scheffler out of context to destroy him if they got into a fight...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 11:26AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: November 04, 2013 11:26AM

Schefter should be fired for using racist slurs.

He opened this can of worms. You shit what you eat

Date: November 04, 2013 11:26AM

Well, Crowder, like I said, remember the guy at the stadium who told the Black security guard, "I'll fight every N in this place."

I don't think it ruined him. It depends on the context and what your history is.

Now if you're a Klaner......

Date: November 04, 2013 11:28AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> mizzou15 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So is this a rule and so every black and white
> > people in the world is ok w/ this?
>
>
> Nope, just trying to give some context for the use
> of racial slurs in an NFL locker room...

Who the f- asked for it. Now things start to get stupid.

Date: November 04, 2013 11:29AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Well, Crowder, like I said, remember the guy at
> the stadium who told the Black security guard,
> "I'll fight every N in this place."
>
Yeah but he barely got out of that locker room alive, and had to leave the team, until the sensitive issue could be worked through among team mates...

Nietzsche

Date: November 04, 2013 11:30AM

mizzou15 Wrote:

> Who the f- asked for it. Now things start to get
> stupid.

Who asked for what Mizzou? I don't understand the question...

Nietzsche

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: November 04, 2013 11:34AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> So is this a rule and so every black and white
> people in the world is ok w/ this?

Of course not.

What it shows is that context is very important.

Incognito could have been busting chops of someone he considered a friend.

That in no way means that martin didn't have every right to be offended.

It just means it's very possible that it wasn't malicious intent on incognito 's part, even if it was over the top.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: November 04, 2013 11:37AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, Crowder, like I said, remember the guy at
> > the stadium who told the Black security guard,
> > "I'll fight every N in this place."
> >
> Yeah but he barely got out of that locker room
> alive, and had to leave the team, until the
> sensitive issue could be worked through among team
> mates...

Actually I think that was Reilly Cooper. He said that at a concert not in a locker room. And he caught two TD'S yesterday for the same team he was playing for when that video camera to light this past summer.

Date: November 04, 2013 11:42AM

We were not there so why speculate? People who were not there are trying to tag what was right or wrong in this situation. From what I have read Incog has some issues and I want him gone. I am not sure if I want Martin around either.

Date: November 04, 2013 11:48AM

Truth- i mean when he showed back up to the locker room and the news broke.. He had to leave the team and many of his team mates wanted to beat his ass for what he said.... Which is why he left the team for a period of time... Racial slurs with malicious intent is not something that NFL players take lightly... Which is why I question the context of the voicemail Martin released... IMO Martin's teammates would not have put up with Incognito maliciously attacking him with racial slurs... I imagine Richie talked to Pouncey and others like this as a term of endearment and brotherhood... as screwed up as it might sound out of context... But Shceffler and Delmas articles shows insight that this is not unheard of NFL locker rooms....

Nietzsche

Date: November 04, 2013 11:54AM

What about threatening the man's family? Was that a sign of endearment. Incog sounds like a whacko the Phins have been coddling and covering up for.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: November 04, 2013 11:57AM

This team is going down the pooper

Date: November 04, 2013 12:00PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> What about threatening the man's family? Was that
> a sign of endearment. Incog sounds like a whacko
> the Phins have been coddling and covering up for.

I agree that Incognito is an asshole.. No disputing that, and I am glad he is no longer on the team... I don't think they have covering up for him... Philbin just said he talked to Martin the night of the incident on monday again on Thursday after the win and with him and his family over the weekend.. And at no time did they bring up any issues with bullying.... Martin never mentioned to Philbin at any time accusations against Richie or any bullying...

Not until sunday did Martins representatives contact the team about Incognito... Only after reports he was about to put on the non football injury list, which would have cut his paychecks did the Incognito blame come out... suspicious....seems like blaming Richie is about play checks.... but I am still glad Richie is gone...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 12:01PM by Crowder52.

Date: November 04, 2013 12:27PM

You/me everyone on this board knows everything behind this. Sometimes we talk as we do. I do'nt know what Martin or his family knew. I do know Incog has a history and I am sure there is more than what we have been privy to. I think this is a slap in the face to Philbin's players w/ character philosophy. He covers up for some players flaws. I see Incog is gone if he was innocent he would still be here.

Date: November 04, 2013 12:40PM

Mizzou- I am not saying that, only that Martin nor his family ever brought up any bullying or player misconduct with almost a week of everyday discussion with the HC after he left because of emotional problems... Only yesterday, did his representatives not him or his family contact the team and brought up the player misconduct issue... Coincidentally the Dolphins weren't planning on paying him.. And these accusations almost force the Dolphins to continue paying him... I don't know a lot but I know that as fact since that is what Philbin said and the reality of his contract... only a fool couldn't read between the lines on the intent of the reps timing contacting the team with player misconduct... the deadline is tomorrow for placing Martin on the list that wouldn't pay him...

Nietzsche

Date: November 04, 2013 12:49PM

as I said I am glad Incogs gone and at this point not sure I want Martin back. I think Martin had to do what he had to do. I really think Incog has a problem that the team was aware of and did nothing to correct. What was Martin to do a second year player going up against a veteran that the team gave a blank check to be an ahole and covered up his discretions. Martin had powerful parents w/ people behind them it was his ace card and he played it. Again as I said before the kid is not a rookie anymore he does not have to take anyones sh*t.

Maybe his old college coach wants him in S.F.

I want this entire coaching staff out of MIA.

Date: November 04, 2013 01:08PM

Martin is going to Indy with his buddy Luck IMO...

Nietzsche

Date: November 04, 2013 01:48PM

I honestly believe Incognito is a schmuck, but I also believe Martin is ultimately using Incognito as a scapegoat for his own problems... That is why I am happy to see them both go... We don't need guys looking to blame others for their own failures whether mental, physical or whatever... Martin was known to be soft and not physical enough, as to why Polian said he didn't fit his teams style nor draft him... That is why he dropped... I think everybody in the Dolphins organization probably wanted him to toughen up and thought they could toughen him up... Unfortunately he didn't respond well to it, and Incognito obviously wasn't the right person to be doing this with his past indiscretions and own personal issues... I agree this was a mess...
If you watched Hardknocks, I remember Dan Cambell pulling Fasano aside and telling him he needed to handle Egnew...
SO who knows if the coaches were hoping or asked Incognito to toughen up Martin.. And then Incognito went rogue in the way he did it... The racial slurs, I don't think we understand the full context, but either way, it is pretty f'ed up...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 01:52PM by Crowder52.

Date: November 04, 2013 01:57PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
The
> racial slurs, I don't think we understand the full
> context, but either way, it is pretty f'ed up...

Right Crowder one report said Ig greeted him with "How's my N."

Now if the guy is a buddy of yours and you use that between each other then that's one thing.

Even if the guy is unknown to you and you figure he's just being a White boy who is trying to be "cool", you might not overreact.

But if the dude is earnestly your enemy, no way do you take that lightly. Enemies don't kid. They insult.

It's like if your family is known for a defect that they even kid each other about (drunkeness, laziness, etc), it's okay if your friends rib you about it but let an enemy do it and Holy Moly!

Edited to Add: In my opinion (or guess), it was Richie's way of really saying "How's my bitch today."

If he had been harassing Martin for over a year, it was probably the straw that broke the Camel's back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 01:59PM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 04, 2013 02:02PM

I think it is more likely that INcgo is just a jerk who thought he was toughening up a guy who needed toughening up, rather than some evil hate spewing stalker racist which some apparently think the voicemail demonstrates. This is why it is asinine to try to compare what goes on in an NFL locker room to your typical office workplace. Context is everything.

Date: November 04, 2013 02:09PM

They weren't enemies Chyren, they were teammates in the same linemen room everyday, next to each other in games on the line...

I have best friends of mine and guys I work with and are tight as can be with, that are men of color. I would never dare use a racial slur as a form of endearment with them... I never hear them utter racial slurs to each other nor to anyone of any color.. The one time I heard his son use it, his father chewed his ass out, telling him you don't speak like that.. I don't care what your friends say, that is not a word you will be using, as long as I am around... So it is pretty clear... My best friend does call me a "rude boy" sometimes and I call him dread as term of endearment...
IMO, it is unprofessional and counter productive for anyone to speak like that on any level.. So I don't understand that personally in my life, but that doesn't mean it doesn't go on, as the article I posted showed in reference to NFL players...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 02:12PM by Crowder52.

Date: November 04, 2013 02:17PM

Crowder, I'm not excusing Igcognito. In fact, I'm saying that it was meant as a term of demeaning him but not based on race, even though it's a racially charged word but as a way of saying "You're my bitch."

Berk, you might be right about the toughening up part but who really knows?

we know Richie is mean and that's why we liked him. It's just then he showed it to the other teams during games.

What was the motivation for him to do it to Martin? It could have been toughening up or it could have been that he simply didn't like him.

Who knows? Maybe he even was angered about Jake Long leaving and saw Martin as the problem. Who knows?

Like I said, we can only discuss this whole thing in hypotheticals because we really don't know anything but snippets of stuff and then only actions such as Martin left the team and Richie is suspended.

Date: November 04, 2013 02:32PM

In high school and college I had a good friend who was humorous and always liked making light of being one of the only black guys in the crew... He would joke with us about race at times.. Saying I can't bring you crackers to the hood, I will lose all credibility and never allowed back/cracks like that.. And friends would joke, they don't want to give us a table at a restaurant because we have a black guy with us.... Or the only reason they let him into a club was because we were with him.. So he better act white... So I understand that sometimes, in relationships it is used out front to make light of the world we live in... As usual this type of things is always pretty complicated, and you need context...

Nietzsche

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 04, 2013 02:49PM

Date: November 04, 2013 02:52PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 04, 2013 02:57PM

I've had people at work make nicknames for me...and I've never liked it. My name is Victor. Some people choose to call me Vic. I really don't appreciate that. I have a handful of close friends I grew up with that call me Vic, and I'm good with them doing it. Otherwise..NOPE. Now, if someone decides to call me SPICK, that's not toughening me up....that's an insult.

Martin didn't deal with it in the best way, but I don't excuse Incognito for anything.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.