HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins trade for Bryant McKinnie
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dolphins trade for Bryant McKinnie
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: October 21, 2013 09:36AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dolphins trade for Bryant McKinnie
Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 21, 2013 09:41AM

Good news. Try *something*!

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 09:46AM

he did well for the Ravens last season, hope he can do something here.
I guess Clabo is either going to become a guard or ride the pine. McKinnley to LT and Martin going back to RT

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 21, 2013 10:23AM

Difficult for us fans to know exactly what the coaches are going to do. Probably won't see much of McKinnie vs the Pats (if at all) as he has to learn Miami's system. But then again, could he do any worse than Clabo?

I know McKennnie is a LT, and although I don't have the stats in front of me, isn't the right side where RT is getting killed from?

Well, we have been looking for change - maybe this is it. The problem is, McKennie hasn't really played that well, either. In fact, the NFL's grading of OT has McKennie one spot better than Clabo.

Hopefully, with McKennie getting a new start and returning to his home town, he will have a new attitude.

Just have to wait and see.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:06AM

The book on him is that he had this great talent but he never worked hard to become the elite tackle he was projected to have become. After winning the super bowl last year, he reported to training camp overweight and out of shape and has been playing poorly this season. Hope we didn't give up too much.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:13AM

I agree with your assessment Toko, He is having a pretty bad year as a whole and there is a reason they traded for Eugene Monroe... I guess all we can hope for is that he is better then Clabo... But remember Clabo was going up against the league leader in sacks this week... So it was a particularly ugly day for him....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:15AM

Total BS move. They could have (should have) made this move weeks ago!!!

Transparent attempt to try to do something when it's already too late. Pure, unadulterated incompetence.

Why didn't we cut the back-up OL and bring in some bodies to compete weeks ago?

Obviously there's nothing but garbage on the bench. I mean if any of these guys could play they'd surely be in the game, right?

Philbin & Sherman are proving to be profoundly incompetent.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:21AM

Overweight and undersmart.

Just what we need!

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:23AM

BNF- it is not a BS move, just a desperation move from failing to handle it properly at a much better time, either draft or free agency... Mckinnie is the o linemen we can get at this point in the season with out giving up the house in a better player or drafts picks... It is all we can do, so it is what it is... Living on a wing and prayer with hope in Mckinnie...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 21, 2013 12:18PM

JC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good news. Try *something*!

Right. It is finally getting through the THICK SKULLS of someone above the player level in the Dolphins organization that there is something wrong with the offensive line.

And Cap, problem is that Martin sucked at RT when Jake Long was here. It seems his natural position is LT and he can't do the opposite side.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 12:27PM

I like doing "something" but am concerned that this could backfire. I assume McK plays LT which is his natural position and what he's played his whole career. As noted he's been pretty horrible this year but pencil him in at LT. So now we move Martin to RT where he hasn't played since mid last season, and before that never in college. So we could have a crappy LT and an inexperienced and really not all that great RT. Both tackles would be big issues. Maybe they were before but at least Martin had his reps and experience at LT

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 04:56PM

Where is Dallas Thomas?

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 21, 2013 08:32PM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 22, 2013 02:48AM

Agree, this is a little late in coming and only game play will let us know if McKinnie's capable of thwarting sacks.

Will he start against NE? I wonder?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 22, 2013 04:14AM

Now just wait for the bonehead news that Philbin has benched Martin and left Clabo at RT.

Just kidding....I hope.

McK has not played well this year and yes, PFF has him rated one spot ahead of Clabo BUT...he has allowed only 1 sack...compared to 8 by Clabo. He is also battling a knee issue that he has to have drained on occasion.

Want to know how hard it is to implement a zone blocking scheme in the NFL?

Juan Castillo, the line coach in Baltimore, installed a zone blocking scheme this year. It has turned one of the best lines in football into one of the worst.

Philbin might want to think about abandoning this blocking scheme and just let the guys go out and do what their used to doing.

It's not any more desperate than signing a player who goes against everything Philbin stands for. Lazy, problem child etc.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: October 22, 2013 04:35AM

Philbin needs to stop being so damn puritanical and start winning some f-ing games.McKinneys big fat gooey a** gets off the bus in MIA and you know what he is the best damn tackle in town.

I wish he stood for winning some f-ing football games.

Date: October 22, 2013 04:38AM

So sick of these hard headed stubborn ass coaches. How about some creativity and flexibility?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: October 22, 2013 07:23AM

Date: October 22, 2013 08:38AM

Date: October 22, 2013 02:58PM

Eesti--I can be analytical with Tannehill. Words are very important.

RT is our #1 draft pick. His background is as a receiver and later as a QB for Texas A&M. He's under the watchful eye of Sherman. Everyone knows this.

What they don't know is what goes on between RT and his coaches. RT seems to be smart, no, intelligent. However, his time as QB is limited to working with Sherman either in college or now. How much hands on training is he getting. The only thing we see is on game day. Referring back to preseason, I noticed that his mechanics seemed to be off. Footwork and throwing off balance. Some suggested he was uncomfortable as the coaches were trying to change his routine which was movement in college to a stationary pocket passer. (ChryenB, I believe.) Anyway, then his mechanics changed.

While RT is in his second year, he is more like a rookie than anything else. Things he experienced during the first season seem to get lost with him, not all his fault mind you, but he reverts back to old college ways and college type plays. For instance, zeroing in on one receiver right after the snap. He doesn't have much time, so this is partially his fault and that of the front line. His growth and development are hampered by two things. First, his coaches and secondly, the players around him that are there to protect him from hurries and sacks. These guys are the anti air craft guns, the close in weapons systems, there to protect the ship and its complement. He lacks a bit of awareness by holding the ball too long in the face of disaster. Again it could be because of his weak O-line.

Most importantly, while he is a first round pick, a good athlete and intelligent guy, the system being used in each game is failing him, and as a result he is failing as QB. For him to succeed, the coaches need to get him into a game plan that uses his talents more often than not. Because the coaches are not adapting well, slow on the draw with figuring things out, Tannehill will continue to bump along. He will continue to disappoint and this will overshadow him. If the coaches wanted a pocket passer they should have looked for someone else and not try to mold him into something he isn't.

Unless seriouschanges are made on the coaching level and game play, we will have similar losing results. Unless these changes happen Tannehill will not become our much needed franchise QB.

If anything, I want him to be as good as Luck. I do want RT to succeed.

Date: October 22, 2013 03:13PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Where is Dallas Thomas?

Yeah, I asked that earlier.

What I read is that Thomas was drafted with a shoulder injury and it has taken him a while to get it healed. However, he hasn't been practicing that well, so the coaches don't trust him enough to put him on the field.

Kind of funny, really. The coaches trusted Clabo, and now are trusting McKennie on the left and Martin on the right. Not sure this lineup is going to be much better than the former.

Really, tho, what would it hurt to put both Garner and Thomas in there for a few plays?

Date: October 22, 2013 03:17PM

tsstamper Wrote:
> it is not a BS move, just a desperation move from
> failing to handle it properly at a much better
> time, either draft or free agency
>
> And, honestly, if Eugene Monroe was available and
> snagged as an upgrade to McKinnie, we should have
> been a player for his services. He's younger and
> apparently better (though I can't substantiate
> that...just going on Ozzie Newsome's actions).
> So, in addition to FA and draft options, there
> were earlier trade options.

It's possible Miami was a player for Monroe. None of us know if anything was going on behind closed doors. Possible Miami just couldn't come up with the right deal to get Monroe. Who knows if Ireland hasn't been working on other scenarios, as well?

BTW, many of us here were clamoring for Miami to sign Winston when he was available. He has graded better than Clabo, but only by a few spots.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: October 22, 2013 05:57PM

This trade for McKinnie is too little too late. This is the same dude who just allowed how many sacks against Flacco which put him on the trading block?

I wouldn't expect much of an improvement if any at all over Clabo with this guy. The Dolphins had their chances to make a deal with better FA tackles but blew it.

This organization's signing of Bryant McKinnie is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction to all the complaints that the fans have been making. Nothing accomplished here IMO but I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 23, 2013 02:10AM

colonel Wrote:
> RT is our #1 draft pick. His background is as a
> receiver and later as a QB for Texas A&M.

I hear the announcers say this all the time and it drives me nutz, his background IS NOT as a reciever, he was recruited to A & M as a QB, he temporarily switched to WR to get playing time, but he kept attending the QB meetings and such. Didn't mean to interrupt, but that's one of those little misnomers that gets under my skin.......carry on.

Date: October 23, 2013 04:59AM

Dolphaholic you are absolutely correct. Announcers over simplify things. At some point in Tannehill's career announcers will stop talking about his time at A&M. They will talk about more relevant things like passes completed, TDs thrown, and yards gained etc. thumbs up

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 25, 2013 10:19AM

Tannehill is developing rather nicely. All he needs is Oline help. Thats all.

Brady would be even worse than he is if brady was playing behind this dolphins Oline.

Date: October 25, 2013 10:42AM

samsam3738 Wrote:

> Brady would be even worse than he is if brady was
> playing behind this dolphins Oline.

Oh, without a doubt! And it's not just that even any great QB would not be so good behind a poor line.

IN ADDITION, Brady performs WORST under pressure. He underthrows and throws interceptions.

Date: October 25, 2013 01:31PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Brady would be even worse than he is if brady
> was
> > playing behind this dolphins Oline.
>
>
> Oh, without a doubt! And it's not just that even
> any great QB would not be so good behind a poor
> line.
>
> IN ADDITION, Brady performs WORST under pressure.
> He underthrows and throws interceptions.

I just saw a poll asking if McKennie should start this game and the majority (including myself) said yes.

My reasoning is that he can't do any worse than Clabo/Martin. From what I read, McKennie has only given up one sack this year. Granted, he has allowed a lot of QB hits, but at least he has allowed his QB to get the ball down the field.

Since he is having a problem with his knee, that may effect how he would be able to plant to hold off the rusher(s), but then again, maybe it's not so bad and he can play well.

A major concern, however, is the wide running plays, where he is unable to get out in space. So, can Sherman change the plays to accommodate him or continue to be stubborn and get the running game shut down? I would suggest wide plays to the opposite side and straight ahead runs to his side.

If McKennie's knee is strong enough, I am sure RT will be a happy camper and maybe his uniform won't have to be washed after the game.

BTW, according to reports, it's still not certain which side McKennie will line up on, but let's be real...McKennie has played only LT his whole career where Martin has played both. Duh!drinking smiley

Date: October 25, 2013 03:51PM

Haha. I kept waiting for you to talk about Brady.

Date: October 28, 2013 12:49PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Haha. I kept waiting for you to talk about Brady.

Who are you asking?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.