HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          OL is still KEY
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
OL is still KEY
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: September 09, 2013 07:35AM

All you have to do is look at SanFran to realize OL play is still critical to being a consistent, highly productive offense.

IMO Colin Kaepernick is NOT a franchise level coitusback -- more chuck n duck and telegraphs throws -- but that OL makes his job easy and "manageable." Obviously the run threat is huge, and Kaepernick gets consistent clear passing lanes where he can throw side arm and wind-up and pitch.

More to the point -- in a different "system" with porous pass pro and a sputtering running game Kaepernick's flaws would be fully exposed.

Bringing this back home -- yesterday was good because a win is still a win. And winning on the road is big -- no matter who you’re playing. But as everyone clearly saw -- our OL was a glaring weak spot and there's NO WAY we're going to be a consistent winning team with the atrocious OL play we displayed yesterday.

It would seem the solutions (plural) we need are not in place on the roster -- and that means we still have not solved the riddle to this unit after yet another off-season, draft and TC. This is discouraging since Philbin is supposed to be an OL dude. Couple that with the fact that the only OL we drafted this past April is incapable of getting on the field.

Same old story year after year… The OL is project. Perpetually incomplete. Unresolved. Trending towards failure. Incapable of putting together an all-around solid performance.

We all know this is a heavy burden for Thill to deal with. And the kid better get the ball out quick or tuck and run because this OL is going to get him killed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OL is still KEY
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 09, 2013 08:59AM

Date: September 09, 2013 09:20AM

Not sure who you're insinuating but Thill has the athletic chops to be used in a more mobile modality as opposed to "run and shoot" which is effectively defunct and subsequently replaced by the chuck n duck and/or prissy poodle (shot-gun variation excluded).

That said, more moving pocket and roll outs would help but we may lack the athletes up-front to properly implement...

Either way you burn the barn -- some chickens are going to get charred and burnt. My opinion. Of course.

BNF.

Date: September 09, 2013 09:24AM

He is got the weight and size to run and he can take a hit. He used to be a wr in college and is used to get hit.

But i rather him be a pocket passer and not risk injury.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 09, 2013 09:46AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Some one i forgot said they were grooming him to
> be a run and shoot QB.....
>
> Looks like they were wrong.

As usual YOU got it wrong. That someone COMPLAINED that they were trying to make him a pocket passer which I don't think ever WILL WORK. Particularly with the crappy O LINE that showed up yesterday.

As usual you are confused. I said they SHOULD design plays like for Kaepernick that starts with him on the run and doing a read option.

I know it's difficult to work from a translation dictionary but that was simple and easy.

Date: September 09, 2013 09:48AM

Thill doesn't look "rugged" tho he's obviously taken some hits -- the key to his longevity is the subject of this thread.

OL is still key.

And the kid can just as easily get injured in the pocket as he can running around...

Date: September 09, 2013 09:52AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:

> And the kid can just as easily get injured in the
> pocket as he can running around...

I'd say MORE easily since he is essentially a sitting duck.

Date: September 09, 2013 10:52AM

So you figured it out...You said the coaches were grooming him to be a run and shoot qb and you were wrong.

Date: September 09, 2013 11:33AM

Ryan Tannehill needs a Richmond Webb. We had the worst running game in the History of the Phins yesterday. Its a testament to Ryans's abilities and skill he still scored enough and completed enough passes to win. This will hold us back against the better teams. Its # 1 priority in the off season next year.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 09, 2013 11:35AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> So you figured it out...You said the coaches were
> grooming him to be a run and shoot qb and you were
> wrong.

You need to check your translator. I was complaining that they SHOULD HAVE HIM BE A RUN AND SHOOT QB but they have him back in the pocket where he will get killed.

Date: September 09, 2013 11:36AM

i agree first priorities OL most of all and then RB.........

Date: September 09, 2013 11:51AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 09, 2013 12:56PM

Please explain to me how Tannehill was a run and gun QB at A&M....He ran 51 and 58 times at Texas and 49 last year in Miami. He ran the exact same offense in both places.

It's been one game and he rushed 5 times. That means he's on pace to run 80 times this year.

Does that mean Harbaugh is stupid because Kaepernick threw for 400 yards and 3 TD's and only ran the ball 7 times yesterday?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: September 09, 2013 01:14PM

eesti, I'm not getting into that old argument again.

I've quoted the thread where I argued that.

If you want to engage in that, go post on that old thread.

I posted the above just to show SamSam what my position was and how he is wrong in saying that I SAID THAT the coaches are trying to make Tanny into a run and shoot QB. I never said that.

When I DO point out what I actually said, then in comes people like you taking me on on that!

Date: September 09, 2013 02:12PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> i agree first priorities OL most of all and then
> RB.........

Not quite. I would have liked to have kept Grey but that said our Running backs are OK. Not Ronnie brown or Ricky Wilson , but they are young and quick. Its the Oline that will make them better as well.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 09, 2013 03:01PM

We need a rb that can change a game around. I think we need togo OL or RB in the first round next year.

I mean a stud RB.......miller and thomas are not studs. I hope iam wrong though and they become great.

BTW i wouldnt mind if we go OL with the first 3 picks next year...I know.......boring draft but i wouldnt mind.

Date: September 09, 2013 04:26PM

Our running game is pathetic. Lamar Miller is too light and Daniel Thomas is neither powerful nor elusive.

Someone made the good point that maybe we should try tossing the ball to Miller in space and I agree but don't count on it happening. I was screaming for us to do more of that with Bush and it seems that the same coaching staff is failing to see that same point. They kept trying to use Bush as if he had the power of Ricky Williams and neither does Miller.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: September 10, 2013 07:02AM

As I see it, our Oline run blocking is pathetic and our average RBs aren't capable currently to run throw holes that don't exist.

Our backs run where they are told to go and don't have the power running to do anything. They don't adjust (add lib) either to no holes.

Isn't Willis Mcgahee still a free agent. He would add a little extra to the ground game.

Date: September 10, 2013 07:40AM

No holes = no yards.

Maybe our RBs are not ***stars*** but they can get good yards with some openings...

Very few RBs can do it on their own -- so I'm not so down on the backs as much as OL.

SOS - it all starts up front.

Date: September 10, 2013 08:05AM

I do not beleive our line is that bad. It ewas just a combination of a bad game and a stout rush defense.

It is basically the same group as last year and we had some decent games running the ball. We replaced Nate Garner with Tyson Clabo so that is an upgrade in my book.

They won't be great running the ball but we should at least be as good as the 1800 yards we had last year.

We rushed for 78 yards vs the Colts in 2012 between Bush and Thomas on only 16 carries. I believe that was mostly in the first half as it became a shootout. Tannehill was 22/38/290/1 and Luck threw for 433 yards.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: September 10, 2013 08:25AM

colonel Wrote:
> As I see it, our Oline run blocking is pathetic
> and our average RBs aren't capable currently to
> run throw holes that don't exist.
>
> Our backs run where they are told to go and don't
> have the power running to do anything. They don't
> adjust (add lib) either to no holes.
>
> Isn't Willis Mcgahee still a free agent. He would
> add a little extra to the ground game.

They didn't keep Bush in part because he was considered a progress stopper for Miller. They aren't likely to go bring in another veteran RB for the same reason

Date: September 10, 2013 09:09AM

Supposedly they weren't happy with Reggie's style in this offense. He wasn't hitting the hole quick enough...or hitting the right holes. The good part is that he is the type of runner who can make a big play out of nothing. Something we could have used yesterday.

Date: September 10, 2013 09:11AM

Date: September 10, 2013 09:42AM

eesti Wrote:
> Supposedly they weren't happy with Reggie's style
> in this offense. He wasn't hitting the hole quick
> enough...or hitting the right holes. The good part
> is that he is the type of runner who can make a
> big play out of nothing. Something we could have
> used yesterday.

Quote: Spilled milk....we have what we have. Why complain when we just had a WIN? I'll start bitching IF we start losing. Not before.

Date: September 10, 2013 11:24AM

But sometimes b*tching BEFORE you lose can result in you NOT losing.

Date: September 10, 2013 11:44AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> But sometimes b*tching BEFORE you lose can result
> in you NOT losing.

That was a quote from essti to me in another thread chren.....Look around.

Moving on.........

eesti smileys with beer sam

Date: September 10, 2013 12:21PM

I think LaMarvelous can be "well-spoken" in this O if indeed Ireland is capable of finding some productive OL -- beyond as eesti noted in R1.

Reggie is still a superior "playmaker" at this point in time -- tho LaMarvelous is probably the more upside as a classic rock hauling ass RB. But dudes like Reggie with a combo of swag and game-day machismo don't grow on palm trees... Detroit sure likes him -- at least for now.

Once again -- the players we GOT ain't necessarily better than the players we don't got.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2013 12:32PM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: September 10, 2013 03:40PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> i agree first priorities OL most of all and then
> RB.........

I don't have a problem with our situation at RB. Pretty hard to run when there are no holes and there are at least two guys waiting for the RB when trying to get around the end.

OL is our problem, as it has been for quite a few years now.

Date: September 10, 2013 03:54PM

capkoi maybe one day they will get it right as far as the Oline goes.....I was sick and tired of sparano signing the ex dallas OL castoffs....he couldnt get it right and he was an ex OL coach.

They need to concentrate on the OL in next years draft most of all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.