HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is it me? Am I simply missing something
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Is it me? Am I simply missing something
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: August 18, 2013 09:29AM

I'm talking pre-season QB play.

I've watched all three pre-season games and I don't see any improvement with RT over last season. I know it's early, but RT seems to be throwing awkwardly. His arm movement isn't fluid to me nor is his balance. Is is me? Am I the only one seeing this?

Matt Moore seems to be totally out of synch. Devlin, on the other hand seems to have more poise than RT or Moore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it me? Am I simply missing something
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: August 18, 2013 10:19AM

I'm not sure what you were expecting or looking for colonel.

The kid was 10-15 for 141 yards, a TD and a 119.0 QBR.

Plus he had 3 drops.

Yes he still has accuracy issues on some throws, especially when he has to avoid pressure but overall, I'm very pleased with his play this preseason.

He's making good decisions, not turning the ball over and not forcing bad throws.

What more are you looking for?

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 18, 2013 10:46AM

Our OLine stinks there is your answer colonel.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 18, 2013 10:49AM

It is preseason and RT has played a couple series each game. Next week should be a better example although he played pretty well this week.

One thing that no one gets to see is the growth in leadership which T-hill has been complimented on by other players in the huddle.

It's a little premature to grade someone who only plays one, two or three series in the first quarter.

Let's see how he does in full time action. Let's see how he performs when he gets in a rythm....and in the 4th quarter when it counts. Can he pull out some game winning drives? That won't be answered for awhile.

Devlin has looked pretty good...against 3's and 4's. I would even say he has outperformed Matt Moore. He is moving the offense better but still making some throws that maybe wouldn't go so well vs #1 defenses.

Afterall, he is only 5/8 45 yards 0 td's and 8/13 86 1 td. pretty good but still doesn't have the experience that Moore does.

Moore has never been a practice player or preseason player. He does his best off the bench ala Don Strock. That's why he was beaten out by Garrard and Tannehill last year.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 18, 2013 11:10AM

Colonel, I am seeing the same things you are seeing and am asking the same question about Tannehill and Moore. Agree that Devlin is the only one playing decently.

But it's typical of the Truth to ask "What are you looking for" and to then babble on.

The only thing I note is that last year Tannehill was given plays that made him look more like Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, and RGIII, BUT THIS YEAR, they are trying to make Tannehill into Bob Griese or Dan Marino and he will NEVER be that.

Pretty stupid 1) to draft a "run and gun" QB/WR
2) see him have encouraging success with that play scheme
and THEN

3) try to CONVERT him INTO a drop back quarterback but it is SO LIKE THE EGOTISTICAL management of this team from FIRELAND to PHILBER (as in Fumbler) on down.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 18, 2013 11:10AM

I'm having doubts about his accuracy, his decisionmaking because he holds on to the ball too long, and I agree he doesn't look (right now, anyway) any better than he did last year. He had these same problems last preseason. What really bothers me is that I think Omar Kelly is right, he doesn't have "IT". Maybe he can develop "IT", but in 50 years of watching this game, it's been my experience that great QB's bring "IT" with them.

Rick

Date: August 18, 2013 11:16AM

In reply Rick, he doesn't have 'THE TIME' while back in the pocket to even be judged at how good he is in the pocket because the Right Tackle SUCKS BIG TIME and they are on his arse before he can take a second breath.

HOWEVER, if he took off running on a slant like he did last year in his rookie year, you would see that Tannehill that showed promise last year.

Philbin and Ireland think they are Gods and that they can turn an ant into an elephant if you just give them enough time.

They are fools, fools, fools, a million times fools!

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 18, 2013 11:40AM

The blocking hasn't been good, its true, and he certainly does throw better on the run, but I'm not convinced he's THE GUY. I am willing to wait and see what he shows me when it's for real (as if they care what I think). As of right now, he hasn't shown me he has "IT". Having "IT is important if you've got the skills, as Tannehill does. Tebow has "IT', he just doesn't have the skills to make anything of "IT" at this level.

Rick

Date: August 18, 2013 12:29PM

Date: August 18, 2013 02:27PM

Colonel, I understand what you are trying to say but your points don't address any of the various replies.

Let me just speak for myself.

You ARE NOT seeing an improved Tannehill from Last year

IN FACT YOUR ARE NOT EVEN SEEING the same level of accomplishment by Tannehill that he had last year

YOU ARE SEEING A POORER PERFORMING TANNEHILL......WHY?????????

Because they are putting Tannehill in a different scheme than last year.

Last year they recognized that he was basically a wildcat, run and gun quarterback.

NOW THEY'RE TRYING TO CHANGE HIM!

They are putting him back in the pocket.

When someone rushes to sack him, instead of having the pocket qb skills to know where to throw the ball, his instincts tell him to AUTOMATICALLY TRY TO RUN and you can't do that successfully if you've been standing in the pocket since the ball was snapped.

Now if you take the snap and start out running and looking to gun, then that's a different story.

But the coaching regime has decided to commit suicide and take this season with them by trying to convert RGIII and Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson into Bob Griese.

IT AIN'T FRIGGIN GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!!

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 18, 2013 03:33PM

Date: August 18, 2013 03:58PM

Do you disagree that there is a great change in the way that they are having Tannehill play the game from last year?

BNF mentioned it first that they were changing the format from a more wide open option type game like they had last year to a more controlled pocket passing game this year.

I said to myself "they wouldn't be that stupid" but behold in the last two preseason games, I have seen it.

Now Tanny only played for about 10 snaps in the first HOF pre season game but it is true. Do you disagree?

Date: August 18, 2013 04:04PM

Yes I disagree

Date: August 18, 2013 04:06PM

What type of game did you think they ran at TAM, dolphaholic?

Date: August 18, 2013 04:08PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes I disagree

LOL. Just because you do, I don't say you must be crazy. Wrong, maybe. But crazy? Stop taking your cue from Truth, who is really the Mad Hatter himself.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: August 18, 2013 04:32PM

Was it me or did Case keenum look more comfortable and better decisions? I heard he has been impressive may challenge Schaub if Schaub doesn't perform

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 18, 2013 04:46PM

It's real SIMPLE. Thill looks like an "athlete" playing QB as opposed to a QB playing QB.

End of story. Where's the glory?

BNF.

Date: August 18, 2013 05:29PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Because they are putting Tannehill in a
> different
> > scheme than last year.
> >
> > Last year they recognized that he was basically
> a
> > wildcat, run and gun quarterback.
> >
> > NOW THEY'RE TRYING TO CHANGE HIM!
> >
> > They are putting him back in the pocket.
>
> You are completely off your rocker with that
> statement, it's really making me question if
> you're even sane anymore? WTH are you talking
> about?

You are wasting your time 'holic.

He doesn't understand that its the same scheme as last year. Same playbook. Same terminology. Its just that this year they actually don't have to keep half of that playbook on the shelf because they lack the personnel to use it.

Heck, I don't think we ran one wildcat play all last year, not too mention the fact that Tannehill only rushed for 211 yards all last season...or 13.2 yards per game. RT's no stiff when it comes to mobility, but you'd have to be off your rocker to think he was a gimmick/wildcat/pistol/run first QB in our offense last year.

oh...right...nevermind.

Posted by: gofinswin1 ()
Date: August 18, 2013 05:42PM

I for one was excited to see Tanny and Walace start clicking

Date: August 18, 2013 07:20PM

Wildcat was not what we ran last year. But it was closer to what we ran last year than the straight drop back we are running this year.

No, if you look at last year's film, the ball was hiked to Tanny and he immediately "run-pass" option.

Just like the Truth. Take one word which was thrown in to describe a genre of type of plays and run with it. If I said, we need to plant vegetables like potatoes, tomatoes, beets, etc, he'd be quick to point out that we don't really need tomatoes.

Date: August 18, 2013 08:17PM

Date: August 18, 2013 11:11PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> It's real SIMPLE. Thill looks like an "athlete"
> playing QB as opposed to a QB playing QB.
>
>
>
> BNF.

OK, this makes even less sense then your other posts on the subject. And that's hard to do!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 19, 2013 03:31AM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 19, 2013 03:38AM

I see improvement in Tannehill unfortunately after viewing other pre season games he is still behind other qb's in the league. Manuel is looking better than him in Buffalo.

Date: August 19, 2013 06:31AM

Im sorry but Tannehill has never run any sort of running offense. No pistol, read option, wildcat etc.

He ran the ball 59 times last year. RG3, Wilson and Cam newton ran twice as much. Check the stats.

Aaron Rodger ran the ball 54 times last year. That does not make him a run-option QB.

Can you really judge T-hill on 17 competions? If so, he has a 106.5 QB rating. Wow he is really stinking hte place up. lol

You may think EJ Manuel is playing better than Tannehill but that is just not the case. He is dinking and dunking the ball around the field. He has 26 completions for 199 yards. That's 7.6 yards per completion. Tannehill has 17 for 227. That's 13.4 yards per completion. TWICE the yards per completion. Manuel has 1 pass over 20 yards in the entire preseason. Tannehill has 3 more in 4 fewer attempts.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: KB ()
Date: August 19, 2013 07:00AM

I have serious doubts about Tannehill but I will say the series that led to the TD pass last game was what I need to see more of to begin to stat believing in him. Nice throws, good chemistry with Wallace and he took off and RAN gaining yards when he needed to. To me that play seemed to put him in a groove. Kept wondering if the Texans had put in the second string defense because the first two series he looked WAY to much like Tanne-Henne-hill...

Date: August 19, 2013 07:07AM

ChryenB--you're pointing to game change philosophy that's causing RT to look so awkward to me. I'm not sure that's the case.

In pre-season, they are experimenting with everything. That I get. And seriously, that could take any player out of their "comfort zone." If the coaches are trying to make RT adapt to a pocket passer--I agree that would be very foolish--not RT's strong suite and, if you are right it would make RT appear to be quite awkward in executing plays. However, I'll reserve my judgment until we get a couple of season games behind us to see if they coaches have shot themselves in the foot by trying to make him a pocket passer.

However, I am more inclined to think along the lines of BNF in terms of an athlete trying to play QB. Again, still not in agreement with that, but that too is very possible. RT looks so awkward to me I have to wonder if he's not 100% with his throwing arm?

jlyell13 commented that Keenum looked more comfortable comparing him to RT. Now that comment I fully agree with. In fact, when I saw him at QB I wondered what veteran QB it was. Keenum's motion was fluid and his follow through was very good--so was his accuracy. He looked every much like a veteran QB.

Mizzou--I agree that other prospects vying for QB on other teams look much sharper than RT.

Date: August 19, 2013 07:14AM

Date: August 19, 2013 07:31AM

I would agree with that mostly, with the exception of Tannehill not avoiding sacks by stepping up in the pocket.

Yes, he does need to work on his pocket presence BUT there is no stepping up in the pocket on the occasion where the rush comes from the inside....which was the case when Samuda (a guard) was beaten for a sack by Antonio Smith.

Several times on sacks, not only was the primary threat from the guard position but there was also pressure from the outside even if the rusher was blocked. They were still pushed back too far towards the "pocket" or QB. The pocket was crumbling.

If you throw the ball away then you get flagged so what is the option. Throw the ball anyway when the receivers are covered?

Clearly, he still has some work to do. Again, he still has a 106 rating.

Don't forget the play where Cushing almost ripped his head off on a blitz and RT ucked out of it and ran for a huge gain.

Date: August 19, 2013 07:51AM

eesti Wrote:
> I would agree with that mostly, with the exception
> of Tannehill not avoiding sacks by stepping up in
> the pocket.
>
> Yes, he does need to work on his pocket presence
> BUT there is no stepping up in the pocket on the
> occasion where the rush comes from the
> inside....which was the case when Samuda (a guard)
> was beaten for a sack by Antonio Smith.

Great point eesti.

RT actually has a good pocket presence for a young QB. He understands how to slide around or step up to buy time or create a throwing lane.

He did it a lot last year when the pressure was coming off the edges.

Its just hard for any QB to do that when the pressure is coming up the middle because your RG is being beaten like a redheaded step child.

>
> Several times on sacks, not only was the primary
> threat from the guard position but there was also
> pressure from the outside even if the rusher was
> blocked. They were still pushed back too far
> towards the "pocket" or QB. The pocket was
> crumbling.

Exactly.

>
> If you throw the ball away then you get flagged so
> what is the option. Throw the ball anyway when the
> receivers are covered?

Actually, that's the one thing I haven't seen him do is throw the ball away, especially on 1st or 2nd down.

I have no problem with him holding the ball longer to try to make a play downfield, especially on 3rd and long, provided he doesn't turn the ball over doing it. He's not shown himself to be a turnover machine up to this point so I can live with him taking a sack or two a week looking for a big play so long as he doesn't start fumbling or forcing bad throws.

The one thing he doesn't do is check down very often while under pressure.

I'd like to see it a little more on 1st and 2nd down just to manage the 3rd down yardage a little better...3rd and 6 is easier to convert than 3rd and 10.

>
> Clearly, he still has some work to do. Again, he
> still has a 106 rating.
>

There's not a whole lot to complain about at this point that isn't nitpicking.

His numbers would be even better were it not for the drops last week and the fact that each week his first drive has been blown up by Samuda doing his best Marc Columbo impersonation.

> Don't forget the play where Cushing almost ripped
> his head off on a blitz and RT ucked out of it and
> ran for a huge gain.

The refs really blew that call.

Should have had 15 tacked onto the end of the run for the blow to the head/facemask that forced him to run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2013 08:04AM by THE Truth.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.