HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Long Is Gone
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Long Is Gone
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 17, 2013 08:36PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long Is Gone
Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: March 17, 2013 09:41PM

At that price, they can have him.

Too many injuries. At least I won't have to watch him get clowned on by John Abraham ever again.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 18, 2013 12:34AM

Rams fans think we're nuts, but we'll see how they feel come Dec when he's on IR or playing at 50%. At a lower price I'd be happy with him back, JI did the right thing by sticking to his guns on this one. Had he not had so many previous injuries it would be a totally different story.

I wish the dude all the best, but I'm relieved that we can move on now and keep looking forward to fill our needs. Trippy how the faces of a franchise can change so quickly.

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: March 18, 2013 12:57AM

Well, hopefully now our first round pick will be Barrett Jones.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 18, 2013 01:03AM

Good, now go out and sign Winston and a decent CB, that would cap off an excellent FA period for Ireland IMO.
Also, note to self; don't ever play a high stakes poker game with Jeff Ireland!

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:40AM

Two games per year against Seattle and two games per year against the 49ers. Jake will sink or swim.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 18, 2013 03:12AM

1 Sebastian Vollmer @ 7 mil or Eric Winston at 6 mil.

2 draft a RT in the first or second round

3 depend on John Jerry making a switch

4 sign a retread...

5 elevate Will Yeatman

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: March 18, 2013 03:15AM

He does have trouble with speed rushers, and he has gotten worse at protecting the QB the longer the season goes on. I think he can be replaced. I say Eric Winston a Miami U player will be a good replacement when Jonathan Martin plays left tackle.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 03:24AM

Rams have made yet another poor decision. History repeats itself, but we are bucking tradition and going in a new direction. Let's hope Martin progresses this season and we can get a solid Tackle for the right side.

Date: March 18, 2013 03:35AM

I think all Martin lacks is the functional strength and technique experience.

It was obvious to me (after I saw Jake on Hard Knocks) that he was no longer the same player. He used to be ripped and was always being talked about as being unusually muscular and having low body fat for a lineman. Last year he looked like his skin was just hanging off his body.

This is probably because he wasn't able to work out with the triceps and shoulder injuries. He is still healing this off-season so I don't expect a big change in his play since I doubt he can get back into that kind of shape while recovering from the triceps tear.

He will be a middle tier player until he can stay healthy long enough to get back in shape IMO.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 18, 2013 03:39AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1 Sebastian Vollmer @ 7 mil or Eric Winston at 6
> mil.

Sounds good.

>
> 2 draft a RT in the first or second round

Not a RT...a LT.

Martin is still a wild card. If we are signing a vet to play the right side we need a rookie who has the upside to play LT and the versatility to play both positions.

>
> 3 depend on John Jerry making a switch

Jerry is toast. They just won't sump him until they have drafted his replacement.

>
> 4 sign a retread...

Bring back Garner.

>
> 5 elevate Will Yeatman

Why?

He's a project, make him earn it in camp.

Date: March 18, 2013 03:41AM

toko34 Wrote:
> Rams have made yet another poor decision. History
> repeats itself, but we are bucking tradition and
> going in a new direction. Let's hope Martin
> progresses this season and we can get a solid
> Tackle for the right side.

Time will tell. If Long stays healthy, this is no worse than a solid move for them with the potential to be a steal.

If he doesn't then its a mistake.

Date: March 18, 2013 04:11AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 2 draft a RT in the first or second round
>
>
> Not a RT...a LT.
> Martin is still a wild card. If we are signing a
> vet to play the right side we need a rookie who
> has the upside to play LT and the versatility to
> play both positions.

Yes. didn't realize I listed RT.

> > 3 depend on John Jerry making a switch
>
>
> Jerry is toast. They just won't sump him until
> they have drafted his replacement.
>
>
>
> >
> > 4 sign a retread...
>
>
> Bring back Garner.

He did ok as a fill in but could be upgraded with a min contract FA. He had his chance to prove himself but really showed no signs he could start and be anything more than a SHORT term stop gap.

> > 5 elevate Will Yeatman
>
>
> Why?
>
> He's a project, make him earn it in camp.

Kind of what I mean. He has been a project. I would hate to depend on him as a starter but I would bring in competition and see who wins. This is a last resort.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 04:12AM

who do we want, vollmer, andre smith, or winston?
I say Winston. He will probably cost the least also. I think he gets about 5-6mm, with the others getting about 6-7. I am worried about smith once he gets paid, the knock on him is/was laziness. I'd be happy with Vollmer but not at more money than Winston. I think the pats bring Vollmer back anyway

Date: March 18, 2013 04:17AM

Not sure Smith is a zone blocker.

Vollmer has injury concern but did play 15 games at a high level last year.

Winston had a down year but is an upgrade over what we had last year.

I would prefer Vollmer but Winston for less money.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: March 18, 2013 04:25AM

Who was it on this board that said you can't teach the health of a player. Jake Long last 2 years or more not healthy, and did not finish the season. I say get a less dynamic yet healthier player who can finish the season, and you have an upgrade over Long.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: March 18, 2013 07:06AM

Finshady Wrote:
> He does have trouble with speed rushers, and he
> has gotten worse at protecting the QB the longer
> the season goes on. I think he can be replaced.
> I say Eric Winston a Miami U player will be a good
> replacement when Jonathan Martin plays left
> tackle.

Agreeed. I was getting sick of him getting punked and always playing catch up, he got real slow and unpredictable after his injury.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 18, 2013 07:38AM

Finshady Wrote:
> Who was it on this board that said you can't teach
> the health of a player. Jake Long last 2 years or
> more not healthy, and did not finish the season.
> I say get a less dynamic yet healthier player who
> can finish the season, and you have an upgrade
> over Long.

I agree. I've been saying for years that what our O-Line needed (and lacked) was continuity. For the most part, an O-Line that plays well as a unit exceeds that of individual players. Long's absence has really hurt us in the last 2 years. It doesn't matter how talented a guy is. If he's playing hurt, or not playing at all, he's likely going to be more of a detriment than a help.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 07:40AM

sounds like we are resigning Nate Garner. I think he's a solid backup/spot starter. We still need to sign Winston (Vollmer scares me due to his injury history)

Posted by: epensado ()
Date: March 18, 2013 08:16AM

Wish the best to Jake Long, now with Rams. He gave his best for our team during his 5 years in Miami and was a great leader in times this team was lacking of offensive leadership.

Now on how to fix the OL, his departure opens a hole, but not as immense as every beat writer and expert analyst have expressed.

First let me remember Joe Philbin is a genius at OL. He used most pieces of the incumbent offensive line and installed a very different style of blocking.

That said Jonathan Martin will upgrade himself on his sophomore season and that will serve to reduce the effects of Long's departure.

Resigning Nate Garner will serve only as Guard/Backup Tackle.

On free agents, there are interesting options. Sebastian Vollmer is a risky movement and only under a low-warranted money, incentive-landed contract he's worth signing. I understand picking him aside of Tom Brady looks like double win, but let's figure that if Sebastian is ailing worst injuries than Jake, we won't be fixing the spot.

My favorite FA option is Eric Winston who would love to come South Florida and recover his former star status.

Then draft plan is simple: add BPA in first round and claim a pair of DB in second round, TE, OT & RB as priorities for the rest.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 08:40AM

Winston wasnt making 6 million a year from his last contract, so if we wanted to pay him that type of money we would have just picked his contract on waivers....Nobody in the league wanted him at that price or he wouldnt have cleared waivers, right?

So WInston is probably more of a 4 million guy at best....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: March 18, 2013 08:51AM

Players with more than four years experience are considered vested veterans so they are not subject to the waiver process. Winston is going into his 8th year.

Date: March 18, 2013 09:01AM

Ok got ya, but why would we pay him more then he was worth in his last deal, which he was cut from... I still think whoever signs him gets him for less then 5 million a year.....

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: March 18, 2013 09:24AM

That would be nice. His cap number was around 6.5 mil though. 6 mil may be a little high considering the market this year but Cherilus got 6.9 mil and they are pretty similar in talent. Levitre got almost 8 mil.

Donald Thomas got 3.5 mil.
Louis Vasquez got 5.875

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: March 18, 2013 09:46AM

We need to get this done. Sorry to see him gone and I wish we could see him here when they actually have some offensive weapons.

They'll get it done I'm sure.

I'm thinking we go CB and OL in the draft

Date: March 18, 2013 10:05AM

ugghhh....is the draft here yet?

Date: March 18, 2013 11:19AM

Armando Salguero ?@ArmandoSalguero

Except that was a Bill Parcells' draft. RT @ToddJones5: Now that Longs gone Ireland's 2008 draft is a colossal failure.

Somebody gets it...and it's not Todd!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 11:20AM by eesti.

Date: March 18, 2013 11:42AM

eesti Wrote:
> Armando Salguero ?@ArmandoSalguero
>
> Except that was a Bill Parcells' draft. RT
> @ToddJones5: Now that Longs gone Ireland's 2008
> draft is a colossal failure.
>
> Somebody gets it...and it's not Todd!

All the guys who cover the team get it. They were there and saw Parcells in action.

Even Omar really only credits/blames Ireland for the last 2+ years.

Date: March 18, 2013 11:57AM

THE Truth Wrote:

>
> All the guys who cover the team get it. They were
> there and saw Parcells in action.
>
> Even Omar really only credits/blames Ireland for
> the last 2+ years.

First off, Most of the guys who cover the team, have to kiss Irelands ass and not offend him in order to get anything from him... Everytime Omar or Bernadino would write a puff piece about Ireland, they would miraculously get access to Ireland, for a bit following the puff piece...

Secondly, you are wrong, the same guy you quoted above, is also the reporter Armando, that claims, Parcells personally told him Ireland was in charge of the Miami Dolphins draft since 2009 .... So I am not sure what you are talking about Truth...... other then delusional fluff

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 12:05PM by Crowder52.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 18, 2013 12:08PM

Phinjim Wrote:
> We need to get this done. Sorry to see him gone
> and I wish we could see him here when they
> actually have some offensive weapons.
>
> They'll get it done I'm sure.
>
> I'm thinking we go CB and OL in the draft

Yeah, I would have liked for Long to return to Miami, but his price was too high. I wish him the best with St Louis, but would not be at all surprised to see him on the sidelines sometime during the season because of injuries.

There are still a few remaining good FAs out there for the OL. I still think Winston would be Miami's best bet, and I am sure he would like to sign with the Fins just to return to Miami.

Agreed - CB and OL will be gone after in the draft, whether or not we sign FAs in those positions. Need some young blood to groom for the future (and if Miami is lucky), can start and play well this year.

We can also add a pass rusher to the mix along with another WR (and maybe TE).

With all the FAs Ireland has signed, he now has choices in the draft; he can use those picks for BPA, which he has been unable to do in past drafts.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.