HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Long staying in Miami?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Long staying in Miami?
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 11, 2013 05:05AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long staying in Miami?
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 11, 2013 05:08AM

Not 5 years. Not unless most of the guaranteed money is upfront and we could release him 2 years into the deal. He's been too injury prone to warrant a 5 year deal. 3 years, $20M, with $10-12M guaranteed.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 11, 2013 05:09AM

only at a very team friendly deal. he is too unrealiable to spend big on and I'd rather spend the $$ we'd save on him elsewhere

Date: March 11, 2013 05:10AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not 5 years. Not unless most of the guaranteed
> money is upfront and we could release him 2 years
> into the deal. He's been too injury prone to
> warrant a 5 year deal. 3 years, $20M, with $10-12M
> guaranteed.

Or if the guaranteed money were split out over 4 years in roster bonuses.

Basically making it a series of 1 year contracts.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 11, 2013 05:24AM

It seems to me that Ireland's idea of "complicated negotiations" may involve a position change to RT. I would not pay him much to play RT when I could potentially get Eric Winston or Gosder Cherilus who have played better at the same position and do not have injury problems.

I think Long has a better shot of going somewhere else to play LT and get more money.

He would be my 4th or 5th option for a starting RT.

it wouldn't mak emuch sense to take the risk and keep Martin at RT. Migh as well let him evolve as a LT since we will need him there in the long run.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 11, 2013 05:30AM

I have heard many pundits for weeks, predict Jake would ultimately sign with Miami...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 11, 2013 08:45AM

Perhaps he's coming back down to earth with the absence of his door banging down by other teams as a FA. If he stays it would be nice to see him make some sort of comeback if you will & crawl out of the bottom of his barrel. Definitely not worth being the highest paid Dolphin at this stage of his career.

Date: March 11, 2013 10:10AM

I really have no desire to bring in the 48th (or whatever) ranked LT in the league. We need an upgrade. Why not spend less and go after a top 15 guy like Cherilus or Winston?

.....................................................................................

Date: March 11, 2013 10:17AM

eesti Wrote:
> I really have no desire to bring in the 48th (or
> whatever) ranked LT in the league. We need an
> upgrade. Why not spend less and go after a top 15
> guy like Cherilus or Winston?

I know that is almost as bad as paying 60 million for the 34 th ranked WR...winking smiley We might as well pay Sean Smith top ten money at that point and just go all out foolish...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: March 11, 2013 10:56AM

Long was one of the few LTs to get the big money up there at his first contract. With Rookie signing cap, not too many OL rookies will get the kind of payday he did.

He's been injured, but is valuable if he gets healthy.

I'd say he would be happy and wise to re-up with Miami for about 8M a year on a 2-3 year deal.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 11, 2013 11:16AM

that's part of why Long's attitude is pissing me off. He was the highest payed OL before he played 1 snap due to the old rookie slotting system. He benefited greatly from that and was paid crazy $$ the last 2 years when he was just average, and now he wants the same $$ even though he's far from the best OL in the league.

Date: March 11, 2013 11:36AM

IMO that money would be better off spent on Wallace or whoever instead of Long any day of the week. My bet is he won't last a full season wherever he lands.

Date: March 11, 2013 12:16PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I really have no desire to bring in the 48th
> (or
> > whatever) ranked LT in the league. We need an
> > upgrade. Why not spend less and go after a top
> 15
> > guy like Cherilus or Winston?
>
>
> I know that is almost as bad as paying 60 million
> for the 34 th ranked WR...winking smiley We might as well pay
> Sean Smith top ten money at that point and just go
> all out foolish...

The difference is that Wallace is still on the upswing and his poor season can be easily explained to anyone reasonable enough to listen.
It's not as questionable as players like Long, who many say is in decline after all the problems he's had on 4 or 5 different parts of his body. It is not unlike Greg Jennings situation with injuries.

I don't see it as any safer to sign Jennings for 8 mil when he is more likely to bust because of age/injury. It is even less likely that he will put up anywhere near the numbers he did in his prime.

Wallace is more likely than either to have a bounce-back season and get his 1000 yards and 8 Td's but you have to look beyond the numbers to assess the value. There is nothing black and white about the nuances of the NFL.

Don't think for a minute than Joe Philbin hasn't given his blessing for this move and had long discussions with Ireland and Sherman about MW's worth.

They are looking at what he brings to the team as a whole even if he drops a few balls and only runs two or three routes (which is unlikely....don't forget our coaches also got 1k out of Hartline and helped him turn the corner). Those same coaches surely can get more out of Wallace than they did Hartline who got most of his big plays on deep sideline passes.

Wallace opens everything up. Nobody in FA or the draft can offer that with more proof than Wallace. He has done it for at least 3 years in a row. I don't care if he is only run posts, fly patterns and WR screens.

he will also make things much easier for Lamar Miller to make some big plays of his own. None of our RB's had that luxury last year.

Date: March 11, 2013 12:22PM

eesti you are spot on smileys with beer

Date: March 11, 2013 12:27PM

I predict that if we sign Wallace, Hartline will have a better year then Wallace... Why because the biggest benefit of signing Wallce, will be the safeties no longer being able to bracket cover Hartline all the time like they did most of last year... Hartline will have a better year...

Nietzsche

Date: March 11, 2013 12:35PM

and yet you seem to be against the idea...or are you just insistent on picking apart everything I post?

Date: March 11, 2013 12:42PM

eesti- before anything you ever said about Wallace, I was against overpaying for Wallace, nothing personal buddy... Maybe he will live up to that huge contract, I just have doubts... I want to build through the draft not overpriced FA's....

Nietzsche

Date: March 11, 2013 12:45PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I predict that if we sign Wallace, Hartline will
> have a better year then Wallace... Why because the
> biggest benefit of signing Wallce, will be the
> safeties no longer being able to bracket cover
> Hartline all the time like they did most of last
> year... Hartline will have a better year...

Hartline also won't have to deal with their top CB anymore.

Date: March 11, 2013 12:50PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> eesti- before anything you ever said about
> Wallace, I was against overpaying for Wallace,
> nothing personal buddy... Maybe he will live up to
> that huge contract, I just have doubts... I want
> to build through the draft not overpriced FA's....

So you're against having two WR's get 1k yard seasons in Miami? We can still find a WR in the draft. Then we have a young guy (or two) to take over when these guys contracts get too expensive in a couple years.

Who do you want in the draft? Patterson?

Date: March 11, 2013 01:02PM

I am not sure, but yes I like Patterson.. I want to draft whoever our scouts have rated as the top recieving threat.. I want a young redzone wide out.... I dont want to take the 3rd or 4th rated recieving threat on our board, I want the top rated guy and pay him 2 million a year for 4-5 years... I dont think overpaying for FA is good for the team, it is more like throwing lots of money at the problem instead of brains and knowledge.. We pay our GM for his brains and knowledge, anyone can overpay for talent... In real estate you can hire some high priced real estate agent to find you the most expensive piece of prime real estate and burden yourself with the cost.. Or you can be smart look for the deal and value, and put yourself in a much better position then the guy who overpays for the top priced prime real estate... One is good business, the other is just being a top dollar guy.... Doesnt take smarts just money.... Lets be the team with smarts, not just one willing to burn cash...

Nietzsche

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.