HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Wallace?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Wallace?
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 08, 2013 06:08PM

Can we afford to sign Wallace at $12m a year? He and hartline would be making $18M a year! They would have to be the highest paid tandem in the league and neither a top 10 receiver!

Is this a major act of desparation? Does taking two WR in our first 4 picks make more sense and spending our FA money better elsewhere?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wallace?
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 09, 2013 03:45AM

Mike Wallace isn't as good as Vincent Jackson. So, we'll see if the market really supports him getting $12M a year.

This is just my opinion. But, I have never bought into the idea that Wallace is our #1 target. I believe it's really Greg Jennings, and always has been. Jennings will be cheaper. Jennings knows the offense. Jennings is a high character guy, on and off the field. Jennings can play all 3 WR positions. Philbin knows Jennings. Remember on Hard Knocks when Philbin told Daniel Thomas he was feeling queasy about him? Philbin likes to be comfortable with his kinds of players. He'll be comfortable with Jennings.I don't know if he'd be comfortable with Wallace. Here's a guy who held out last year, missing out on learning on a new offensive system. And when he did show up, he turned in the worst season of his career, by a wide margin.

When it's all said and done, we'll have Hartline, Jennings, Bess, and a rookie deep threat. Maybe it'll be Cordarrelle Patterson, maybe Keenan Allen, maybe Terrance Williams. And as the rookie progresses, Jennings will slide into the slot more and more, phasing out Davone Bess, whose contract is up at the end of the year. They'll also draft a slot type guy, , maybe a Ryan Swope, and the goal will go into 2014 with a 4-deep WR group.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 09, 2013 03:50AM

Yes we can afford it.

We have a very inexpensive QB for the next three years.

It gives us the ability to overpay if necessary at 1 or 2 other positions until that bill comes due.

You could draft 10 WR's this year and there are no guarantees that one of them becomes half as good as Wallace.

If the price isn't insane, sign him. You add good football players in whatever manner you can. He's already a better than good NFL player.

Date: March 09, 2013 03:52AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike Wallace isn't as good as Vincent Jackson. So,
> we'll see if the market really supports him
> getting $12M a year.
>
> This is just my opinion. But, I have never bought
> into the idea that Wallace is our #1 target. I
> believe it's really Greg Jennings, and always has
> been. Jennings will be cheaper. Jennings knows the
> offense. Jennings is a high character guy, on and
> off the field. Jennings can play all 3 WR
> positions. Philbin knows Jennings. Remember on
> Hard Knocks when Philbin told Daniel Thomas he was
> feeling queasy about him? Philbin likes to be
> comfortable with his kinds of players. He'll be
> comfortable with Jennings.I don't know if he'd be
> comfortable with Wallace. Here's a guy who held
> out last year, missing out on learning on a new
> offensive system. And when he did show up, he
> turned in the worst season of his career, by a
> wide margin.
>
> When it's all said and done, we'll have Hartline,
> Jennings, Bess, and a rookie deep threat. Maybe
> it'll be Cordarrelle Patterson, maybe Keenan
> Allen, maybe Terrance Williams. And as the rookie
> progresses, Jennings will slide into the slot more
> and more, phasing out Davone Bess, whose contract
> is up at the end of the year. They'll also draft a
> slot type guy, , maybe a Ryan Swope, and the goal
> will go into 2014 with a 4-deep WR group.

I could live with Jennings and two rookies.

Mark, what do you think of Aaron Dobson from Marshall?

Date: March 09, 2013 04:22AM

THE Truth Wrote:

>
> I could live with Jennings and two rookies.
>
>
> Mark, what do you think of Aaron Dobson from
> Marshall?

I like what I've read that he's a good route runner. And the Sirius NFL guys seemed to think he had a really nice week at the Senior Bowl. It will be interesting to see what he runs at his pro day.

Date: March 09, 2013 05:59AM

if Wallace wants $11M-$12M,maybe it makes more sense to sign Jennings for 7-8M and jared Cook or Brandon Myers, plus 2(maybe 3 if we drop down) of the following, realizing WR can take 2-3 years to mature!

if we land a TE & OL in FA we can afford to take several WR A DB & DE in our first 5-7 picks

Patterson, Allen, Hunter- Likely 1 early 2

Williams, Hopkins, Patton- Late 1-early 3

Stills, Vernon- late 2-4?

Slot

Austin, Woods, Swope- Late 1-early 2

Wheaton, Goodwin, Bailey- Likely 2-3

I could see us adding Swope & Michael from A&M in this draft

Date: March 09, 2013 06:13AM

Would you give up a second for Victor Cruz?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 09, 2013 07:13AM

Patriots are reportedly interested in Wallace. Probably just a ploy to drive up the price for Miami, knowing Belichick.

Vincent Jackson has similar numbers to Wallace but is older (30) and been around for longer. Wallace (26) was actually much better over first 4 years of career.

Its probably a good sign that Jackson had his best year (1384/8) under a new QB and one that is not as good as Rivers. Means it could be possible for Wallace to do the same with Tannehill, who I believe is better than Freeman.

Jackson averaged 19.2 ypc in 2012 and 17.8 for his career. Wallace averages 17.2 ypc.

Don't know that anyone could conclusively say Jackson is better than Wallace...only that he has been good for longer.

Wallace averages over 1,010 yards per season. Jackson averages 767 yards.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 09, 2013 08:50AM

eesti Wrote:
> Patriots are reportedly interested in Wallace.
> Probably just a ploy to drive up the price for
> Miami, knowing Belichick.

And of course we will not only be foolish enough to oblige but Ireland will now begin to think of signing him BECAUSE if the Patriots are interested in him, then it must be the right move.

Of course, Ireland and THE Truth and Dolphaholic would consider such thoughts as you are thinking, eesti, to be "crazy" and "far-fetched."

Date: March 09, 2013 10:28AM

Actually as soon as Brady restrucutured I said they are going after Wallace. They likely will release Lloyd and try to land Wallace & Welker. Wallace would likely choose pats unless we offered a lot more and hes a "show me the money" guy

Date: March 09, 2013 10:53AM

I don't see them spending 20-22 mil a year for two WR's. They have never really targeted high priced WR's.

.....................................................................................

Date: March 09, 2013 10:59AM

Agreed but they have come up short the past few attempts, and Brady isn't getting any younger

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 09, 2013 12:00PM

let's stop stressing about what the pats do. their window is closing but brady still has another 1-2 years at a high level, and we are not going to be really challenging them next year anyway. if they sign wallace, fine, they will be cap strapped in the future when their best players get old. we will just sign jennings.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 09, 2013 02:04PM

I wouldn't write off the Patriots even with Brady leaving soon.. Belichick made Matt Cassell a probowler in New England when he clearly was not after he left...
I agree with Berk, forget the Patriots, we just need to get better so it doesn't matter what the Pats bring...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2013 12:23PM by Crowder52.

Date: March 09, 2013 02:56PM

It makes me nervous that we would have to pay him top 3 WR money in the entire NFL, when I am not even sure he is in the top ten of WR's.. Don't get me wrong I would like to have him on our team, just don't want to make him the 3rd highest paid WR in the league...overpaying is not a good recipes for building a strong contending team IMO..

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 09, 2013 05:02PM

yes that concerns me too, although I am sure the amount we just paid hartline is not consistent with where the ranks as WRs in the league

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: March 09, 2013 09:13PM

Hopefully, if we do land Wallace, he's not one of those guys who gets paid, then disappears. He better have the right mental make up to stay hungry and driven even though he's set for life.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 10, 2013 10:03AM

eesti Wrote:
> I don't see them spending 20-22 mil a year for two
> WR's. They have never really targeted high priced
> WR's.

If I were to guess (which I am <g>winking smiley then I would say Floyd would be let go and they would not pursue Welker.

Wallace would probably take up both their paychecks.

Date: March 10, 2013 10:14AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> It makes me nervous that we would have to pay him
> top 3 WR money in the entire NFL, when I am not
> even sure he is in the top ten of WR's.. Don't get
> me wrong I would like to have him on our team,
> just don't want to make him the 3rd highest paid
> WR in the league...overpaying is not a good
> recipes for building a strong contending team
> IMO..

Well, I've preached this before, but ALL pro sports players are overpayed. Not going to get back on my soap box, tho.

Anyway....in today's world of pro sports (and NFL since that's what we are discussing) if Ireland feels Wallace is the guy the Dolphins MUST HAVE, then Miami will have to put up the cash to sign him. Seeing Ireland's MO, I don't think he will pay a king's ransom for Wallace, but he will put out the big bucks to do so.

If Wallace goes crazy in his demands, Ireland will probably play along but go to Plan B at the same time.

I, personally, don't think Wallace is deserving of that kind of cash (at this point in his career), but with him being the top FA WR, he has to do what he has to do.

Date: March 10, 2013 10:16AM

socalphin Wrote:
> Hopefully, if we do land Wallace, he's not one of
> those guys who gets paid, then disappears. He
> better have the right mental make up to stay
> hungry and driven even though he's set for life.

That's why the NFL should come up with a pay scale and contracts that cover things like that. Have a good paying contract, with incentives. He doesn't meet those incentives, he doesn't get that extra cash.

Date: March 10, 2013 01:49PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> yes that concerns me too, although I am sure the
> amount we just paid hartline is not consistent
> with where the ranks as WRs in the league

Well, to compare apples to apples, you can't count anyone playing on their rookie contract. The only fair comparisons would be to WRs who have reached the point in their career where free agency is a reality for them.

Among those (which means excluding Darius Heyward-Bay), Hartline's contract puts him 21st among WRs in terms of average salary per year. Of those 20 that are higher paid than him, only 7 had more yards than Hartline did last year.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 10, 2013 04:56PM

I won't complain too much, but i'm still not sold on signing Wallace to a huge contract. I'd rather see us sign Jennings and draft a guy real high, or sign Jennings and the Rams WR. Just my 2 cents

Date: March 11, 2013 03:13AM

Here is the real bite in the arse, Hartline had significantly more yards then Wallace last year yet Wallace wants only Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson to be the only WR's that make more then him.. Sorry but that is laughable... Polian brought up something that is crucial towards building a team... He called it financial chemistry... In other words be careful overpaying FA... It can cause financial chemistry problems that destroy teams...

Nietzsche

Date: March 11, 2013 03:44AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Here is the real bite in the arse, Hartline had
> significantly more yards then Wallace last year
> yet Wallace wants only Fitzgerald or Calvin
> Johnson to be the only WR's that make more then
> him.. Sorry but that is laughable... Polian
> brought up something that is crucial towards
> building a team... He called it financial
> chemistry... In other words be careful overpaying
> FA... It can cause financial chemistry problems
> that destroy teams...

That's cherry picking Crowder.

His numbers were down this year for a few very good reasons...first he missed most of camp over contract negotiations. then he got hurt, but still played. Then he lost his starting QB for 3 1/2 games. In addition, his team had decided they weren't bringing him back and he was surpassed on the depth chart by Antonio Brown.

Even in a down year he still had 64 catches and 8 TD's.

Bottom line is the guy has been in the league for 4 years.

He's had 235 receptions for 4,042 yards and 32 TD's.

Sure he had a "down year" but it wasn't because of injury or declining skills.

The guy is an elite WR.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 11, 2013 03:51AM

Reports from the miami radio are that the phins already signed him.

I think it might be a done deal.

they were talking as he was already here.

Date: March 11, 2013 04:07AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Reports from the miami radio are that the phins
> already signed him.
>
> I think it might be a done deal.
>
> they were talking as he was already here.

Teams are not allowed to even talk with the players themselves until 4pm on Tuesday. No visits are allowed, either.

Date: March 11, 2013 04:10AM

THE Truth Wrote:
>
> His numbers were down this year for a few very
> good reasons...first he missed most of camp over
> contract negotiations.

For me, this is actually a bit of a red flag on him. They were putting in a completely new offense, and his hold-out put him in the position of not knowing the new system well enough. It's a business, and guys have to handle it that way, but his hold-out got him nothing, and everyone knew it wasn't going to get him anything from Pittsburgh.

Date: March 11, 2013 04:11AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 11, 2013 04:23AM

I guess i heard wrong. they were already calling him mike drop wallace. Making jokes. I thought they had already signed him.

They said thats what tannehill needed.

Date: March 11, 2013 04:24AM

It says we don't have to get into a bidding war and the teams that were rumored to want him know they can't compete and have given up.

Who would you rather give 11-12 mil per year to? Jake Long or Mike Wallace? Personally I don't want our highest paid player to be a LT who does not make plays. Especially one that can't even do his job anymore.

We ere taken for 24 million over the last two years and where did it get us? It certainly didn't give our QB much time in the pocket.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.