HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Question regarding Jim Harbaugh?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Question regarding Jim Harbaugh?
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 04, 2013 01:06PM

Hypothetically- Had Mr Ross been able to hire Jim Harbaugh 2 years ago instead of San Francisco... Do you think we would have been in the Superbowl this year? Harbaugh took over a team with a Qb and team who wasn't very good record wise.. In his first year that mediocre Qb took the team to a NFC Championship.. In his second year he switched to a young second year Qb, and went to the Superbowl... Could Harbaugh have done the same for us so rapidly what he was able to do for San Fran...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question regarding Jim Harbaugh?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 04, 2013 01:27PM

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 04, 2013 01:45PM

One thing is highly likely Crowder...if we had hired Harbaugh 2 years ago, Colin Kaepernick would be our QB right now.

Date: February 04, 2013 03:09PM

Date: February 04, 2013 03:20PM

We would probably have randy Moss as well as Mario manningham to help fill the holes at WR this year....
But I hear what you are saying Chyren as well, it is hard to imagine 2 egos and personalities like Ireland and Jim Harbaugh coexisting with out killing each other.. Hahaha

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 04, 2013 03:23PM

I would have taken Harbaugh over Philbin in a heartbeat. Yeah he got beat in the Superbowl but he got there dammit. Philbin is still collecting 'his players'.

Date: February 04, 2013 03:38PM

And when he got there, he screwed it up.

Dance with the partner what brung you!

I barely recognized Kaepernick!

Assuming that Ireland would not have let him draft Kaepernick and Ireland insisted on drafting Tannehill, even if we had gotten into the SB, would he have tried to turn Ryan Tannehill into Chad Henne for the first time in the SuperBowl?

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 04, 2013 04:10PM

Play calling was a bit odd but I would take harbaugh and his fire over Philbin

Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 04, 2013 04:35PM

Agreed.

forget pass interference...bad coaching lost that game.

1st and Goal inside the 10 and they didn't run the 'read option' which is what got them to the Superbowl.

Dance with the girl that brought you...or go home alone.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 04, 2013 05:16PM

Can't deny he took them to the "show", but man is he a whiny little b.tch

Date: February 04, 2013 05:27PM

Holic, as John Lennon used to say, "I'm tired of getting f*cked by greedy men sitting on their fat arses in the City."

That applies to that officiating crew as well.

About THAT, I don't blame Jim Harbaugh.

Date: February 05, 2013 01:55AM

Harbaugh I would imagine has the best record of any 2nd year coach in the history of the NFL. You can take shots at his play calling but that same play calling has him 24-7 in 2 years... Philbin lost 9 games in just his first year... So I think knocking his play calling and pistol formation is utterly ridiculous...He was also one play away from coaching and play calling one of the greatest comebacks in the history of the Superbowl...

Nietzsche

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 05, 2013 04:45AM

I agree with the truth... Kapernick would be out QB today.

I would take that....

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: February 05, 2013 05:29AM

What if.... There are too, too many variables to reasonably speculate what Harbaugh woulda, coulda, shoulda done if hired as the HC here.

We need to deal with reality. We have Philbin. We have Ireland. Our team has lots of cap room, and we have plenty of upgrading to do. That's reality.

Since you wish to speculate--I surmise that the Broncos will not make it to the SB next year with Peyton Manning. Moreover, Peyton is still good, very good, but his arm strength is way off. Compare for a moment, the easy throwing arm of Joe Flacco. Or the fast ball pitcher Kaepernick's throws. Brady throws a hell of "fast" ball with accuracy. In contrast, Peyton's balls are lobs--slow but accurate lobs. Peyton, will never see another SB game from the field because of it. The Broncos will need to draft a replacement because Peyton will hang it up 2014-2015.

Date: February 05, 2013 06:17AM

Colonel, dont take yourself so serious, this is a chatboard, we are allowed to talk hypotheticals and What if's are part of it...
If you wish to only talk about what you want to talk about more power to you, but dont tell me or others what we need to talk about... Sometimes beating the same dead horse over and over whether it is reality or not can get a bit boring and redundant... We just had the Superbowl, offseason in full effect, no combine yet, this hypothetical I thought was interesting and fun, sorry you didnt see it that way..

Nietzsche

Date: February 05, 2013 09:25AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Harbaugh I would imagine has the best record of
> any 2nd year coach in the history of the NFL. You
> can take shots at his play calling but that same
> play calling has him 24-7 in 2 years... Philbin
> lost 9 games in just his first year... So I think
> knocking his play calling and pistol formation is
> utterly ridiculous...He was also one play away
> from coaching and play calling one of the greatest
> comebacks in the history of the Superbowl...

RESPONSE: But that's our problem. It has been our problem since Shula left. We have settled for flawed people. People who are less than 100%. We need to refuse to settle for anything but 100%.

To me, I'd rather have a Philbin who takes a devastated team and takes it to a 7-9 record the first year, a 10-6 record perhaps the second year, go 12-4 the third year and get into the SuperBowl and don't blow it by changing what he GOT HIM THERE and ALMOST GET BLOWN OUT AND ONLY BE SAVED FROM IT BY A LIGHT FAILURE then decide to go back to what got him there, catch up, and then come within SEVEN YARDS OF VICTORY and CALL THREE OF THE DUMBEST PLAYS IN FOOTBALL HISTORY.

Yeah, I'd rather NOT take a Jim Harbaugh, Crowder.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 05, 2013 09:33AM

Date: February 05, 2013 09:51AM

eesti Wrote:
> Most of the players for the 49ers were there
> before Harbaugh even came to town. They did have
> pretty good success with Alex Smith as they went
> 13-3 in 2011 and went to the NFL Championship
> game.
>
> It's not all Harbaugh although I think he is a
> good coach.
>
> In January of 2012, Baalke was named PFWA
> Executive of the Year for the 2011 season, after
> taking a 6-10 team and leading them to a 13-3
> record in his first season as General Manager.

All true eesti.

Harbaugh was handed a roster with a lot of talent.

From everything I've heard the last few weeks it was Harbaugh who was the driving force behind their moving up for Kaepernick in the 2nd round and that he was turned onto the kid by Andrew Luck who was at a QB camp with him the summer before.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: February 05, 2013 10:25AM

Harbaugh was, in fact, handed a roster with a lot of talent. I heard a discussion about all the talent on the KC Chiefs on NFL radio the other day too and look at their record this year.

There are a lot of teams with great talent that underachieve (like the 49ers did before 2011). It takes a great coach to motivate and scheme with the that talent.

Belichick is a perfect example of a coach that gets the most out of his players because he puts them in a position to succeed instead of trying to fit them into his personal view of how a position should be played.

I believe we missed on Harbaugh and I'll forever despise him and SF for him not coming to Miami.

Date: February 05, 2013 10:34AM

I'd be happy if Dave Wannstadt took us to the Super bowl......that doesn't mean I gotta like him, Harbaugh is starting to get a bad rap in the NFL for all of the bitching and complaining he does, he was crying about bad no-calls after the game when his team benefited from bad no-calls in the Atlanta game, his true colors are starting to show. My dad hit the nail on the head two years when he said "he's nothing but a big cry baby" (the "G" rated version)

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: February 05, 2013 10:53AM

Yeah, I thought it was funny that he was crying about the 'no call' at the end of the game when he didn't see to have a problem with the 'no call' at the beginning of the game when Chris Culliver held Torrey Smith and prevented a likely TD grab.

Date: February 05, 2013 11:05AM

I think Harbaugh is like Belechick.

He's a terrific coach who will win a ton of games, but he's an asshole.

You love that guy when he's your guy. You loathe him when he's not.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:16AM

Who the hell cares if the guy is an asshole? He got his team to the Super Bowl in just his second year of NFL head coaching. What more does anyone want? The players that play for him don't give a crap that he's an asshole -- he's THEIR asshole!

If anything happened to Philbin and Harbaugh was available, do you think Ross would hesitate to try to sign him? Ross would get his jet gassed up and ready to fly before anyone could say "Marino for President."

Date: February 05, 2013 11:26AM

captkoi Wrote:
> Who the hell cares if the guy is an asshole? He
> got his team to the Super Bowl in just his second
> year of NFL head coaching. What more does anyone
> want? The players that play for him don't give a
> crap that he's an asshole -- he's THEIR asshole!

Cap, that was my point. If you are a SF fan you don't care if people think he's an asshole.

If you are a fan of any other team, you might respect his ability, but at the end of the day he's still an asshole.

>
> If anything happened to Philbin and Harbaugh was
> available, do you think Ross would hesitate to try
> to sign him? Ross would get his jet gassed up and
> ready to fly before anyone could say "Marino for
> President."

Since he already tried to get Harbaugh once before he'd probably be very interested if Harbaugh called him tomorrow and said I want that job. But I doubt he'll ever get a 2nd bite at that apple.

Date: February 05, 2013 11:32AM

Sure Harbaugh was handed alot of talent but all of that talent was underperforming and got 2 coaches fired. They also had a QB who was categorized by most a bust. They only had 6 wins the prior season before he took over... So he took a bust QB and underperforming guys and got them to perform at or above their potentail all the way 2 a NFC Championship shot in first year... Second year took a second year QB and went all the way to the last minute in a fight for the Lombardi.... Lots of NFL teams have talent, very few compete like 49ers have the last 2 years under Harbaugh... As I said above, is there any HC in the history of the NFL that has won as many games as him in his first 2 years.... The guy is an animal, especially considering what he did to rebuild Stanford directly prior to those 2 years...

Nietzsche

Date: February 05, 2013 11:43AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:46AM

dolphaholic but rex ryan has the jets in the dumpster...

Harbaugh had his team in the superbowl.

2 different scenarios.

Date: February 05, 2013 11:47AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> captkoi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Who the hell cares if the guy is an asshole?
> He
> > got his team to the Super Bowl in just his
> second
> > year of NFL head coaching. What more does
> anyone
> > want? The players that play for him don't give
> a
> > crap that he's an asshole -- he's THEIR
> asshole!
> >
> > If anything happened to Philbin and Harbaugh
> was
> > available, do you think Ross would hesitate to
> try
> > to sign him? Ross would get his jet gassed up
> and
> > ready to fly before anyone could say "Marino
> for
> > President."
>
>
> So by that rationale you'd be OK with Ross hiring
> Rex Ryan?

See Sam's comment.

Date: February 05, 2013 11:48AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> dolphaholic but rex ryan has the jets in the
> dumpster...
>
> Harbaugh had his team in the superbowl.
>
> 2 different scenarios.

Rex Ryan took his team to the AFC championship game a couple of times already.....arguably with less talent than the great Jim Harbaugh.....NO?

Date: February 05, 2013 11:55AM

It's a "what have you done for me lately" league.

Harbaugh's contract won't be up for quite some time. If by that time his teams have done little to nothing (which I don't forsee) then I highly doubt he would be that highly coveted. If he continued to get his teams to the playoffs/Super Bowl, then not only would Miami be in the running for him, but so would half the league.

Rex Ryan hasn't shown much since those couple of championships, plus he has also admitted to losing the team a couple of seasons ago. That's not a good record for a HC (who happens to also be an asshole).

But, in reality, I don't consider Ryan to be an asshole; I just see him as a blowhard.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.