HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          we pick 12th
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: we pick 12th
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 04, 2013 09:18AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 04, 2013 09:45AM

It's like you are saying that we are settling by just "tak(ing) a WR". But IF we are going to keep pick no. 12 (I think we should but some don't) Keenan Allen is the best pick for us in the first round AND for the very reasons that is stated there. Even if we had the pick of the best at every other position.

We need someone who can stretch the field. If this is a quarterback driven league (as some of you have repeatedly pounded in), then what good does it do to have a potential like Tannehill with the defense smothering the short routes and no one able to get separation deep?????????????

I just hope Keenan is still there at no. 12.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 09:47AM by ChyrenB.

Date: January 04, 2013 10:04AM

I think we are settling if we reach for a position instead of taking the BPA.

The only way I take BPA or the CB, Milliner at 12 is if we have already signed Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings. Then I wait for a talented WR or TE to fall to me in the second. I like Terrance Williams better than Allen anyway. He was crazy productive in college (led nation I believe) and Baylor has been spitting out talent lately....QB and WR.

Might you be a little biased toward U of C? lol.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: January 04, 2013 10:27AM

The bias part is probably true, eesti. But I still think that we have to find our great speed receiver in the draft. I doubt we can trade for him.

For a trade, it has to be a guy who can command almost every one of the 31 teams to bid for him and he is franchised.

I just don't think those kind of guys are available anymore and to get another wide receiver in the free agency market, you have to ask yourself, "What about him is wrong to the extent that his OWN TEAM does not do the maximum to make sure he is not lured away."

We found out with Brandon Marshall and Chad Johnson.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 04, 2013 11:01AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think we are settling if we reach for a position
> instead of taking the BPA.
>
> The only way I take BPA or the CB, Milliner at 12
> is if we have already signed Mike Wallace or Greg
> Jennings. Then I wait for a talented WR or TE to
> fall to me in the second. I like Terrance Williams
> better than Allen anyway. He was crazy productive
> in college (led nation I believe) and Baylor has
> been spitting out talent lately....QB and WR.
>
> Might you be a little biased toward U of C? lol.

Only three wr's in this draft I really want at this point in the process:

Stedman Bailey, Terrance Williams and Keenan Allen...in that order.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 04, 2013 11:49AM

Why Stedman Bailey above the other 2.. Bailey is projected as 3rd round pick... The other 2 are rated rd 1 or early 2... I don't watch much West Virginia, but at this point most scouts don't even rate Bailey as a top ten WR in the upcoming draft... I see he had a solid year with yards and leads The college ranks with 23 TD's...But there still seems to be a lot of questions about him thus his ranking... I am not familiar with the guy so I don't have an opinion on him..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: January 04, 2013 01:05PM

Date: January 04, 2013 01:14PM

I don't think he is a speed reciever known for his seperation skills... That scout has him middle of 2nd all the way down to the 4th rd.. He seems to me a Hartline type of WR from the different scouting reports I have read on the guy today..

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 01:19PM by Crowder52.

Date: January 04, 2013 02:13PM

Date: January 04, 2013 02:22PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I don't think he is a speed reciever known for his
> seperation skills... That scout has him middle of
> 2nd all the way down to the 4th rd.. He seems to
> me a Hartline type of WR from the different
> scouting reports I have read on the guy today..

He's faster than Hartline, but not as fast as his teammate Tavon Austin.

Austin has crazy Mike Wallace/Percy Harvin type speed but he's only 5'8.

Stedman is 5'10 - 5'11 and a step slower than that in the 40.

Keep in mind you don't need sprint champions in our offense. You don't need the fastest guy in the draft or Clyde Gates would still be here.

We need guys with sub 4.5 speed who accelerate quickly in and out of their breaks to create separation and who can run after the catch.

Watch him and make up your own mind.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 04, 2013 03:52PM

TE'O would be a tremendous catch to eventually replace the declining Dansby. He has many intangibles that will benefit the team picking him.

However, by 12 he will be long gone; maybe go 5th in the draft, IMO.

We will get to see him in action Monday night against Alabama.

GO IRISH... Kick Bama's Butt and make Saban cry.

Date: January 04, 2013 04:23PM

He reminds me a lot of Hartlines game, great hands, great body control, great knowledge of the game combined with his routes put him in the exact right spot a lot despite pretty solid coverage.. My concerns he didn't seem to have a lot of seperation on a lot of those highlights but remarkable throws in tight spots and perfect routes and or positioning.. His defensive competition wasn't to strong yet most of the time they seem to have good coverage on him despit him making the play.. Will that tight play ability be taken away with far superior defensive backs.. Is his game capable of being the number 1 WR and installing fear in the defense to stretch coverage or holes based on the need to cover him with multiple players.. I defintely think he has Hartline or better capabilities, not sure he solves the problems we have with our offense but defintely wouldn't mind having him on our roster especially if he only takes a third or late second... Not sure about the other WR's in the draft but I would love to find a player with some combination of elite size and speed, not sure if that is available this draft or not, need to start peeling out beyound my beloved SEC...

Nietzsche

Date: January 04, 2013 04:34PM

That's right Crowder. THE Truth analysis here is like all of his analyses which is correct as far as they go but they miss the big picture.

Some on this board have complained of Tannehill's accuracy. Not to get too heavy into that fight but sometimes the long balls he throws have either missed or forced the receiver to break stride. No problem for me there but none of the receivers on those very throws have blown away the coverage.

If all we are getting with Bailey is a Mark Clayton with a little more speed, then what we have is a Mark Clayton WITHOUT A MARK DUPER.

Hartline comes close to that himself.

And what DO we do with no. 12? If TEo is gone as he probably will be, then what sense does it make to pass on a Keenan Allen at no. 12 to take another Brian Hartline and end up with another Brian Hartline and no monster Defensive player because we traded down????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 04:35PM by ChyrenB.

Date: January 04, 2013 04:44PM

IMO, Tannehill needs either a big WR who can fight and catch the ball in a crowd or a fast WR with great hands who can get separation and go after the ball in the air.. I understand the concepts of the GB west coast system are a bit contrary to those beliefs.. But I think that is what Tannehill is going to need to thrive next year in this system.. Obviously an elite recieving TE could also help add this dynamic not sure if that guys exist in this draft either.. If somebody exist that fits that bill at WR or TE, that would be who I went after first. The most important thing next year is that Tannehill progresses even at the expense of any other aspect of our team.. I want RT to have what he needs to make a go at all of these expectations placed upon him. I don't want to be talking about how Ireland didn't give him any weapons again next year...

Nietzsche

Date: January 04, 2013 04:58PM

Precisely.

Date: January 04, 2013 05:12PM

Date: January 04, 2013 07:33PM

See what I mean???????

THE Truth complains about Brandon Marshall and totally ignores that the two GREATEST shortcomings with him were

1) His bad attitude and
2) Yeah he got separation and had speed but he tended to drop the ball, particularly in the endzone.

Keenan Allen is known for his fantastic circus catching ability.

Posted by: gofinswin1 ()
Date: January 05, 2013 05:32AM

I'm a big Irish fan so if we have a chance to draft the next Urlacher we need to take him, id trade up to take him if it didnt cost too much. I think we sign Jennings then get a wr late in the draft. Maybe even trade back in the 1st and draft Eifert, who will be a stud in the NFL, im not be bias at all lol.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 05, 2013 06:28AM

I'd give Eifert a shot at TE and WR. He has more athleticism than Fasano. The pair could be just what the doctor ordered.

GO FIGHTING IRISH--Make Saban cry on Monday night! smileys with beer

Date: January 05, 2013 08:45AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> The bias part is probably true, eesti. But I
> still think that we have to find our great speed
> receiver in the draft. I doubt we can trade for
> him.
>
> For a trade, it has to be a guy who can command
> almost every one of the 31 teams to bid for him
> and he is franchised.
>
> I just don't think those kind of guys are
> available anymore and to get another wide receiver
> in the free agency market, you have to ask
> yourself, "What about him is wrong to the extent
> that his OWN TEAM does not do the maximum to make
> sure he is not lured away."
>
> We found out with Brandon Marshall and Chad
> Johnson.

I don't remember talking about a trade. The only problem I see with Wallace is that Pit doesn't give huge contracts to WR's and that's what he wanted.

I also don't see Marshall as a failure in Miami as some people do. I thought he did great considering the QB's he had to work with...

He had over 1000 yards and showed he is a top receiver this year year in Chicago. Top of the league. I think he would have been great with Tannehill, who like Cutler has a strong arm. Big mistake trading him IMO.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: January 05, 2013 09:24AM

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 05, 2013 10:18AM

Guys, Ireland is not an idiot, despite what has been posted on this board.

When Miami's pick comes up at 12, Ireland is going to go by his big board. He is going with the highest rated player, not position of need. If Teo is his highest rated player when pick 12 comes up, then that is his pick.

If Ireland (and possibly Philbin) feel that no one on the board at pick 12 is that highly rated, then Ireland will probably trade down (again, hopefully not too far down).

Truth, I find it hard to fathom Miami drafting a guard at 12. There are (supposedly) many more players at different positions that would be more valuable for Miami than a guard. However, it would pretty much be guaranteed that if Miami did grab a guard, that he would probably be an immediate starter. But, I just don't see it.

Date: January 05, 2013 10:23AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> It's like you are saying that we are settling by
> just "tak(ing) a WR". But IF we are going to keep
> pick no. 12 (I think we should but some don't)
> Keenan Allen is the best pick for us in the first
> round AND for the very reasons that is stated
> there. Even if we had the pick of the best at
> every other position.
>
> We need someone who can stretch the field. If
> this is a quarterback driven league (as some of
> you have repeatedly pounded in), then what good
> does it do to have a potential like Tannehill with
> the defense smothering the short routes and no one
> able to get separation deep?????????????
>
> I just hope Keenan is still there at no. 12.

I just saw one mock draft that had Miami taking Keenan.

It is the old adage that taking a WR that early is a gamble because it takes them at least one season to get acclimated to the NFL. Think of it this way -- how would that hurt Miami if that was the case? With what is on the roster, at present, he would be no worse than that. He would probably end up as the 3rd receiver, in the beginning.

However, the question is....if Teo is there, do we still take Kennan?

Date: January 05, 2013 10:29AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 05, 2013 11:03AM

captkoi Wrote:
> However, the question is....if Teo is there, do we
> still take Kennan?

I think this will all be answered by what we do in FA, if we get Wallace or Jennings, then I think we don't draft Kennan in rnd 1 (not without trading down anyway).

The best possible scenario might be; sign Wallace/Jennings, trade down into the 20's and draft one of the 2 stud TE's, then fill in the O-line and defensive needs, as well as getting another WR early the rest of the way out.

Date: January 05, 2013 12:20PM

captkoi Wrote:
> Guys, Ireland is not an idiot, despite what has
> been posted on this board.
>
> When Miami's pick comes up at 12, Ireland is going
> to go by his big board. He is going with the
> highest rated player, not position of need. If
> Teo is his highest rated player when pick 12 comes
> up, then that is his pick.
>
> If Ireland (and possibly Philbin) feel that no one
> on the board at pick 12 is that highly rated, then
> Ireland will probably trade down (again, hopefully
> not too far down).
>
> Truth, I find it hard to fathom Miami drafting a
> guard at 12.

Why?

As you pointed out, Ireland will go by his big board and take the highest rated player on it (need breaking the tie).

Wormack is probably the best O-line prospect in the draft, so he's going to be ranked in that neighborhood on most boards.

Also, lets not forget that Ireland took a center at #15 two years ago.

LG is a vital cog in our offense. Won't surprise me at all if Wormack is the pick.

Date: January 05, 2013 12:21PM

Date: January 05, 2013 12:41PM

Date: January 05, 2013 02:04PM

I say we draft both receivers and double up Keenan and Bailey...Stack the deck in your favor... One year we spent all but one draft pick on defense.. I think we need to go heavy offense in this draft, mainly WR, TE... The patriots took Aaron Hernandez and Gronkowski in the same draft.. I want to see a strong move like that for our offense.. The future of our franchise depends on RT doing well next year.. That should reign supreme.. If we draft more defense then offense with those first 3 -5 picks I will be pissed.. The first 3 picks should be 2 offensive players and 1 cb IMO.

Nietzsche

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 05, 2013 07:05PM

I think it's the 2nd-round picks that really tell the tale:

Ireland picks:
Jonathan Martin
Daniel Thomas

Parcels/Ireland picks:
Koa Misi
Pat White
Sean Smith
Phillip Merling
Chad Henne

Not sure if the light will go on for Thomas, but looking at the other group, Misi has been pretty good...Smith has his limitations...and the rest were, basically, throw-away picks.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.