HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          we pick 12th
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
we pick 12th
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 31, 2012 04:47AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: we pick 12th
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 31, 2012 04:48AM

STUD TE OR RECEIVER...

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: December 31, 2012 04:49AM

WR all day long

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: December 31, 2012 05:01AM

If we sign a #1 WR in FA then it has to be a pass rusher, TE or O-lineman.

If we don't sign one, then WR is at the top of the list.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 31, 2012 05:10AM

CB is a major need, too.

Date: December 31, 2012 05:16AM

I wonder do we let S Smith walk? If so then CB moves up to just about the top of the list.

I guess it is possible we sign a big FA WR like Wallace or Bowe or Jennings, then we can spend our #1 on a TE (if one is worthy), then our 2s and 3s on OL, CB/pass rush, and go from there. We'd have upgraded our offense considerably with those moves.

It's real early but at this point it seems like there are no WRs or TEs worthy of #12? A TE taken #12 would have to be a world beater and it doesn't sound like this ND guy is that. Is the Cal WR worth the #12? If not I guess we go Defense at 12 because we ain't taking OL that high again unless Ireland wants a pitchfork up his a$$

Date: December 31, 2012 05:23AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CB is a major need, too.

Yes, but we have to fix the offense first. No offense, and you aren't competitive in the NFL.

I know people will freak out at the thought, but this isn't going to be a 1 year fix. Its going to take two off-seasons to address all our needs.

I'd wait on CB.

Date: December 31, 2012 05:38AM

Here are the 12th picks over the past 10 years: 2012, DT Fletcher Cox, Eagles; 2011, QB Christian Ponder, Vikings; 2010, Mathews; 2009, RB Knowshon Moreno, Broncos; 2008, T Ryan Clady, Broncos; 2007, RB Marshawn Lynch, Bills; 2006, DT Haloti Ngata, Ravens; 2005, LB Shawne Merriman, Chargers; 2004, LB Jonathan Vilma, Jets; 2003, DT Jimmy Kennedy, Rams.

Date: December 31, 2012 05:43AM

2013 draft order teams that didnt make playoffs.

1. Chiefs; 2. Jags; 3. Raiders; 4. Eagles; 5. Lions; 6. Browns; 7. Cardinals; 8. Bills; 9. Jets; 10. Titans; 11. Chargers; 12. Dolphins; 13. Bucs; 14. Panthers; 15. Saints; 16. Rams; 17. Steelers; 18. Rams or Cowboys; 19. Giants; 20. Bears.

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: December 31, 2012 05:47AM

We have a TON of cap space this year, so look for a lot of holes to be filled via free agency. I suspect Ireland will try to shore up the offense with proven playmakers, and then draft conservatively again.

Date: December 31, 2012 06:00AM

Krunk Fu Wrote:
> We have a TON of cap space this year, so look for
> a lot of holes to be filled via free agency. I
> suspect Ireland will try to shore up the offense
> with proven playmakers, and then draft
> conservatively again.

And Joe Philbin is on record as saying they never signed a free agent in Green Bay that contributed to the offense. So, don't expect a "lot of holes to be filled via free agency."

Date: December 31, 2012 06:01AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> dolfanmark Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > CB is a major need, too.
>
>
> Yes, but we have to fix the offense first. No
> offense, and you aren't competitive in the NFL.
>
> I know people will freak out at the thought, but
> this isn't going to be a 1 year fix. Its going
> to take two off-seasons to address all our needs.
>
> I'd wait on CB.

If you don't generate turnovers on defense, you aren't competitive in the NFL, either.

Date: December 31, 2012 06:04AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I wonder do we let S Smith walk? If so then CB
> moves up to just about the top of the list.
>

It's just about at the top of the list regardless of Sean Smith. He was the most thrown at CB in the NFL this season, and among the league leaders in TDs allowed. And he has just 5 INTs in 4 seasons. He is not part of the solution.

Date: December 31, 2012 06:06AM

so mark do you think we re-sign him? Some actually think we will franshise him, but he's not shown he is worthy of that at all.

Date: December 31, 2012 06:07AM

It all starts with the offense.

If you have no offense you wont make playoffs.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 31, 2012 06:18AM

We have a ton of cap space but we also have many free agents of our own to resign or replace.

We also have many needs outside of the holes that will be left by FA.

We have questions everywhere.

For instance...IS Jonathon Martin the long term solution at LT? Everyone said he needed to get stronger. Chances are good he will do that in the off season and I'm sure the FO is committed to developing him. We still need a STARTING right tackle. Getting one in FA is almost a wash. There are not many quality RT's available so we will have to draft one. Getting a 2nd or 3rd rounder to start is a long shot.

Maybe another tackle drops this year to the second round. Jake Mathews has been slipping recently.

Sean Smith: I just don't see him as a viable option in this scheme where we play zone coverage. He has not emerged as the play maker we had envisioned. We all saw yesterday that our defense needs major help to take the next step and become a top 10 defense. I believe getting quality CB's is almost as important as getting speed on offense. Our pass rush was no existent yesterday. Good corners will help the entire defense. We need TWO that fit in Coyle's scheme. We had way too few interseptions this year once again.

Most draft boards don't have Terrence Williams ranked very high but this could vary depending on the GM. I like him because he has good hands and is a deep threat. His college numbers are ridiculous and I believe he led the nation in receiving. He had over 1800/12 tds in 12 games with an absurd 18.9 average. I would not be disappointed if we took him at 12.

Other than him, maybe someone drops to us that we didn't expect. Hopefully we see some teams reaching for QB's and two or three are taken high so other players drop to us. It happens every year and many teams still need QB's. Most of them are picking in the top 10.

I think we can get a TE in the second round as well. I would love to have Eifert but unless we trade down I don't think we have a shot. Unless he runs a ridiculous 40 at the combine and climbs in status. He had a down year for Notre Dame with only 624/4. He had 803/5 last year....but then again those 2012 numbers are pretty similar to what Jason Witten had in his final year at Tennessee as a junior (493/5).

We need play makers all the way around....

Two CB's, FS, ILB, DE, WR, TE, RB

Like Truth said, it is not going to happen in one off season unless Ireland has a historic draft. One this is certain. It has to start with getting Tannehill some help. That's on the line and on the outside.

Mike Wallace had a down year and Pit may let him walk since Antonio Brown has put up about the same numbers and is stepping up. Getting him would be a huge start.

He and Andy Levitre (LG) are on my wish list. Getting Wallace also lets us add a top CB or DE in the first round.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: December 31, 2012 07:29AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> -----
> > dolfanmark Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > CB is a major need, too.
> >
> >
> > Yes, but we have to fix the offense first. No
> > offense, and you aren't competitive in the NFL.
> >
> > I know people will freak out at the thought,
> but
> > this isn't going to be a 1 year fix. Its
> going
> > to take two off-seasons to address all our
> needs.
> >
> > I'd wait on CB.
>
>
> If you don't generate turnovers on defense, you
> aren't competitive in the NFL, either.

True.

but I'd argue that you generate turnovers with pass rush.

I'd rather add one or two guys upfront that can disrupt plays than add a guy or two at CB and hope thy can cover for 4+ seconds.

A good pass rush hides a lot of ills and creates turnovers.

It makes everyone on defense better.

My priorities this off-season if I'm GM are to improve the pass rush and build a top 10 offense.

I'll look for a CB gem in the later rounds (4-7) or I'll address it next off-season.

Date: December 31, 2012 07:41AM

THE Truth Wrote:
>
> True.
>
> but I'd argue that you generate turnovers with
> pass rush.
>
> I'd rather add one or two guys upfront that can
> disrupt plays than add a guy or two at CB and hope
> thy can cover for 4+ seconds.

Going in to yesterday's game, we were 6th in the NFL in sacks. And how many times did all season did you see our corners making plays because of the pass rush? Almost none. Because they aren't that close in coverage, and are not aware of the ball when it's in the air. Better corners, and safeties, would have done well with our pass rush this year.

Date: December 31, 2012 07:49AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> so mark do you think we re-sign him? Some actually
> think we will franshise him, but he's not shown he
> is worthy of that at all.

It is ludicrous to suggest franchise tagging Sean Smith, and Ben Volin should feel like an idiot for putting it in print. At profootballfocus.com, Nolan Carroll graded out better than Sean Smith this season. When has Sean Smith ever played at a Pro Bowl level? When he has ever played so well that some team is going fork over 1/8th of their salary cap to sign Sean Smith? It's crazy talk. He has a great game against Larry Fitzgerald, and a good one against AJ Green. Then he follows it up by getting toasted by Brandon Gibson.

Do we really know what kind of corner Kevin Coyle likes? Does he really like zone? Or did he play so much zone because he was concerned that we didn't have the corners to play man? They brought in Richard Marshall and Dmitri Patterson. Both are physical corners who are good in run support. Sean Smith is physical with some receivers, but he is as soft as they come in run support. I would not be surprised to see the team stick with Marshall and Patterson, and pursue a guy like Derek Cox in free agency. Let Sean Smith go disappoint someone else by not living up to his talent potential.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 31, 2012 07:57AM

I think either WR, CB or MLB.. We need to find a shutdown corner in a bad way..I do not want to spend another 1st rd pick on linemen. WR is extremely important to properly address this offseason one way or another... The first three picks are big for us..if we get 3 long term starters that will be huge...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: December 31, 2012 08:06AM

Dolfanmark, I am glad you finally saw the light on Sean Smith, you use to be one of his biggest supporters around here...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 31, 2012 08:15AM

This freaking team reminds me of a crumbling dam -- as soon as you think you have a hole plugged another leak starts, and then another, and another...

Reminds me of a dog chasing its tail -- going 'round and 'round and never getting anywhere. Is the same old shit over and over...

We need OL, we need WR, we need CB, we need...

And if we happen to find a stud OL we'll spring a leak at RB, or wherever...

This draft has to solve the vast majority of our "leaks." If not then we definitely need to address our structural issues from the ground up and rebuild the foundation (as set in place by Ireland).

I still think Thill's development (or lack thereof) trumps every other consideration by a huge margin. If he doesn't emerge as a consistent game day force then everything else really doesn't matter that much.

Date: December 31, 2012 08:15AM

if we let sean smith go, our draft that year will look like

(1) vontae davis
(2) pat white
(3) sean smith
(4) pat turner

YAY Jeff Ireland! Looking forward to seeing you spend all though draft picks!

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: December 31, 2012 08:16AM

We need QB, WR, OL

on defense Pass rush, LB, CB

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 31, 2012 08:22AM

I don't know. I think someone will want to take a chance on his potential, and that gives him value. We could franchise him and then trade him. Or maybe just give him the transition tag and either trade him or let him sign elsewhere...however it works. I can't remember the detailed differences between the two, but it's never good business to give away something that has value to someone. Ireland got a 2nd for Vontae, so Smith ought to be worth something in that ballpark.

Date: December 31, 2012 08:22AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> >
> > True.
> >
> > but I'd argue that you generate turnovers with
> > pass rush.
> >
> > I'd rather add one or two guys upfront that can
> > disrupt plays than add a guy or two at CB and
> hope
> > thy can cover for 4+ seconds.
>
> Going in to yesterday's game, we were 6th in the
> NFL in sacks. And how many times did all season
> did you see our corners making plays because of
> the pass rush? Almost none. Because they aren't
> that close in coverage, and are not aware of the
> ball when it's in the air. Better corners, and
> safeties, would have done well with our pass rush
> this year.

Perhaps its just me, but I don't remember our pass rush being much of a factor late in games.

Even so...its not just about sacks. Its about pressure and forcing bad decisions.

I'd rather have 5 pass rushers and below average CB's then star CB's and below average pass rushers.

Date: December 31, 2012 08:32AM

Truth- as far as pass rush late in games, I seem to remeber Philbin and Coyle catching some flack for having Wake and Starks on the bench in final drives.. I believe Cam wake leads the league in Qb pressures so the pass rush doesn't seem as glaring a whole as we have elsewhere...plus we have a young Vernon from last year draft who will hopefully continue to come into his own. The guy has potential, his speed and athleticism are impressive...

Nietzsche

Date: December 31, 2012 08:35AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> if we let sean smith go, our draft that year will
> look like
>
> (1) vontae davis
> (2) pat white
> (3) sean smith
> (4) pat turner
>
> YAY Jeff Ireland! Looking forward to seeing you
> spend all though draft picks!

Be careful Berk, a good portion of people around here, believe our GM has no culpability in that draft, even though his business card and pay stub said General Manager Miami Dolphins....

Nietzsche

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 31, 2012 08:44AM

I think you guys are freaking nuts if you think letting a kid like Smith walk is a viable way to build a winning team. Are you serious?

I don't give a crap what the stat dweebs say about his performance -- the kid has a game that can be developed futher and his unique physical package is impossible to ignore.

I agree he may not be worth "franchise" money but we can't let dudes like him just leave with zero compensation -- unless you consider some crappy comp pick fair?

Date: December 31, 2012 08:49AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Truth- as far as pass rush late in games, I seem
> to remeber Philbin and Coyle catching some flack
> for having Wake and Starks on the bench in final
> drives..

That was one game.

They were rotated out on the last drive and it cost us.

Bad decision, but not one they repeated.

> I believe Cam wake leads the league in Qb
> pressures so the pass rush doesn't seem as glaring
> a whole as we have elsewhere...

He's one guy. What happens when he's tired...or god forbid he gets hurt?

If you had another pass rusher or two or three you don't need to blitz to generate pressure and you can exploit matchups when they double Wake.

If Wake goes down, our pass rush disappears completely.

That's a bad way to build a defense.

> plus we have a
> young Vernon from last year draft who will
> hopefully continue to come into his own. The guy
> has potential, his speed and athleticism are
> impressive...

He could be one guy. Still need more.

Look at the Giants. When they beat NE its because they can rush 4...apply tons of pressure with those four...and drop 7 into coverage.

That's the blueprint I think we should follow.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.