HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          running backs?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
running backs?
Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: December 19, 2012 12:10PM

hello all, what do you guys think we will do at rb? i would love to resign bush and keep thigpen and miller but i dont know what this team will do. I hope they trade our porcelain doll as i see he is out for the season. Can anyone say bust??? Lets hope we get a major dosage of bush and miller so we can see what this kid can do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: running backs?
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 19, 2012 01:48PM

I think miller is the real deal and we are in good hands with him next year. maybe another back in the 3d or 4th and we should be set. i don't see bush coming back if it takes a big contract

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 19, 2012 03:30PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think miller is the real deal and we are in good
> hands with him next year. maybe another back in
> the 3d or 4th and we should be set. i don't see
> bush coming back if it takes a big contract

Bush didn't do enough to earn a big payday, so unless he comes down on his contract demands, I don't see Ireland keeping him. He has another Bush right behind him (Miller). Thomas has had too many injuries; I think he is gone. As you said, one or two running backs could be taken in the middle to late rounds.

We still have Thigpen and big boy Lane.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 19, 2012 05:03PM

We need to acquire Chris Ivory and try to get Eddie lacy, Stepfan taylor, or Jonanthan Franklin to go with Miller & Lane. Resign Reggie at reasonable price

Date: December 19, 2012 05:22PM

If we resign Bush we better get him some better blockers. He is fast , but not a brusier. Thast what this Team needs to do. Its a TEAM sport. Bush and miller can be more successful but we need Blockers to mow the grass. Same with Tanny , without Pass blocking and a reciever to help stretch the feild , he won't be able to do it alone.

I agree, Thomas was a wasted 2nd round Pick. I was sick about it when it happened and frustrated for about a year. I hoped I would be wrong, but he is just not able to take the physical demands of the NFL. I KNOW that was a Saprano pick.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 19, 2012 05:32PM

woo hoo more 1st and 2d round OL!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 19, 2012 05:40PM

Date: December 19, 2012 08:10PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> woo hoo more 1st and 2d round OL!

You say that like its a bad thing. We have a 1st round QB. Reggie bush , Miller and thigpen would be great. We have our starting Center. Besides a deep threat how else could you improve the offense? Another tight end? A killer chain Mover would awesome next to a wide reciever.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 20, 2012 03:05AM

I don't want to give up any high draft picks to trade for a restricted free agent (Ivory). He may be a good player but RB's are a dime a dozen these days and we have bigger phish to fry.

Daniel Thomas "out for the season" sounds pretty bad but it's only two games. He has been running hard for a piss poor O-line. Not sure about him in the long run.

We just need to find our own Arian Foster/Chris Ivory. Waiting to see who we draft, sign and resign is going to drive me nuts. March is free agent signing period, April the draft. Ugghh

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 08:11AM

if we follow green bay's model we won't break the bank for a running back.

it'll be by committee. miller, thomas, thigpen and a mid round draft pick will hold down the fort.

why cave to reggie's contract demands when his clone is on the roster at league minimum?

Date: December 20, 2012 08:18AM

While I don't disagree with using what we have...Whatever we do we will have to fix our o-line.

Reggie hasn't made any contract demands yet and as far as Miller being a clone...that has yet to be seen. The kid has 36 rushing attempts.

No thanks to the GB model. They struggled this year with no running game and we don't exactly have Aaron Rodgers and his receiving corp.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 08:21AM

not yet

rome wasn't built in a day

Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 20, 2012 09:53AM

1) I think there may be merit to the speculation that ireland is gone. NO contract discussions with ANY of our free agents sounds like Ireland has been frozen out. Wouldn't be surprised if Sherman moves upstairs and they get a new OC...not in favour of it...but wouldn't shock me.

2) Lamar Miller looks interesting...but not enough to rely on him. Agree that we bring in someone.

3) Bush is dynamic when he is hitting the hole hard and bouncing off, cutting. But when he forces the issue and fights for the outside...he is a liability. He will likely be gone.

4) I am a believer in data/stats....and while not all stats tell the whole picture....but when you look at who has carried the ball a lot...and maintained a high avg/carry, and scored TD's, played legit teams, and has sufficient size/speed to play in the NFL ( and will likely be in this draft)....recognizing that there are better guys that may go in the 1st & 2nd round....I like Jonathan Franklin. He is in the top end in all of these categories especially carries & avg/carry...and will likely be in the 3rd- 4th round.

Date: December 20, 2012 10:02AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > woo hoo more 1st and 2d round OL!
>
>
>
> You say that like its a bad thing.

where has that gotten us? #1 overall LT who is on the decline and always hurt and may not even be back (and who is eating up our cap space), #15 overall C who is very good player, 3d round G in John Jerry who isn't very good, and high #2 pick RT in Martin who looks solid but jury is still out. Plus various 3d and 4th rounders who have not panned out and are not on the team. And no playmakers taken on offense and we STILL are talking about having to upgrade the OL. How about spending high picks on players who actually touch the ball and score points (or at least are impact players on D) and trying a different way to upgrade our OL. I bet if you look at the top OLs in football they have only 1 or 2 players taken in the top 3 rounds. If we take an OL in round 1 I will be pissed and you should be too.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 20, 2012 10:09AM

I can't answer for the other posters, but OL is not a bad pick.....in the 2nd round or beyond.

Miami needs far too many playmakers (on both sides of the ball) to go OL with their first pick.

Now, if Miami happens to trade down and they are near the end of the first round when they finally pick, then it's a possibility that an OL can be picked, but that would have to be someone they had a high grade on that they thought would go earlier (i.e., mid-first round).

Just my opinion, of course.

Date: December 20, 2012 04:35PM

Well, we tried building the line ahead of having a QB and that didn't work so well. Now we have a QB and still need a line or Tannehill will be wasted. The Long pick left a bad taste every ones mouth after he declined but who saw that coming after the first 2 or 3 years?

Long is a FA anyway and had he been playing up to par we would have been forking over a ridiculous contract extension...12-14 mil a year.

Building through the draft is still the way to go and it always will be. We can get a rookie OT on the cheap for 4 years and that allows us to address the skill positions via FA..as well as in the draft.

No way you can complain about getting a stud Pro Bowl center with the 15th pick. Especially when you look at what was available that year. Without hindsight that was the best pick. He is more than just a "good player".

Has anyone noticed a drop-off at LT since Long got hurt? Most of the experts say Martin needed strength to be better. He will get that in the off season and he is athletic.

Ireland still needs to be better in the draft outside the first round. He HAS to find a few studs in rounds 2-5 as some other teams have. Carl Nicks was a 5th round pick. He found one in Rashad Jones. We just need more on offense.

Like Truth has pointed out...we are in the first year of switching between project big and project athletic. We need to find 2 or 3 lineman that fit the profile.

We HAVE to draft a road grader at RT and get our power running shifted back to the right side. We could also use a pulling guard like Andy Levitre. If we can pull off Levitre and Wallace in FA, our offense is a different story.

If we do that then drafting an OT in the first two rounds is perfect.

Build the athletic zone line and we can turn ordinary RB's into studs just like Denver and Houston did and just like Washington did this year with a low round rookie RB. All zone schemes. We should be good with Miller.

We have a lot of picks to fill in the missing pieces.

LT Martin
LG Levitre
C Pouncey
RG Incog
RT (Jake Mathews)

Those guys can give Tannehill the time needed for Wallace to get down field with a safety and a CB leaving Hartline open mid range in single coverage by the number 2 or 3 CB.

Date: December 20, 2012 06:41PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> -----
> > berkeley223 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > woo hoo more 1st and 2d round OL!
> >
> >
> >
> > You say that like its a bad thing.
>
>
> where has that gotten us? #1 overall LT who is on
> the decline and always hurt and may not even be
> back (and who is eating up our cap space), #15
> overall C who is very good player, 3d round G in
> John Jerry who isn't very good, and high #2 pick
> RT in Martin who looks solid but jury is still
> out. Plus various 3d and 4th rounders who have not
> panned out and are not on the team. And no
> playmakers taken on offense and we STILL are
> talking about having to upgrade the OL. How about
> spending high picks on players who actually touch
> the ball and score points (or at least are impact
> players on D) and trying a different way to
> upgrade our OL. I bet if you look at the top OLs
> in football they have only 1 or 2 players taken in
> the top 3 rounds. If we take an OL in round 1 I
> will be pissed and you should be too.

That was when they were also grabbing everyones 2nd & 3rd round QB'sWe now have our #1 QB finally and a direction. Thats how you build a Team. You get a center, a nucleus and they you get players to build upon. Long does not look like he has much of a future. That sucks. He was elite. there were so many plays busted up by poor lineman play this season. Tanny can only run so much.

What would you want them to take in the first round then position wise? A reciever would be nice if he was elite. Not another Ted Ginn. But another beastly Left Tackle wouldn't dissapont me. We have 2 2nd rounders to make up the difference.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 20, 2012 06:58PM

I want a playmaker on O or D (not a lineman). A WR, TE, CB, S, LB, or pass rushing DE, best available. If the best available is somehow an OL then trade down or take one of the other positions.

Date: December 21, 2012 03:26AM

A good line has just as much impact on a QB as a WR. What good is a deep threat if the QB is on his back by the time the WR is 15 yards downfield?

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 21, 2012 11:40AM

We absolutely need to draft another STUD OT this year because Jake soLong "I'm freakin' outta here" is deflating this very minute and (lacking an unforeseen pharmaceutical solution) soLong will be out of the league in a year or so!

Kind of funny the preeminent "cornerstone" of the franchise (laid personally by Biggie T) was made of sandstone! Well Wilbur, you won't have Herman Munster to kick around anymore! LOL and SOB. Beyond that,

keep Reggie (a freaking NO BRAINER even for a punk ass like Ireland) and get Lamar amped up. We're tight @RB. Hopefully the rookie TE Egghead (or whatever his name) learns how to tie his shoes and lace his shoulder pads so he can block at the level of a girl scout as opposed to the absolute pussy he's been so far. That means:

we need dynamic WR talent to compliment our stable of mediocrity -- albeit with significant upside as per Philbin's offensive prowess at developing talent.

And BTW, I'm so glad Mr. Thill made me eat some crow last week with his performance and obvious PROGRESSION. Keep it up you l'il punk ass bitch because I heard your wife is insatiable!

JK.

BNF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2012 11:42AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 22, 2012 02:09PM

If we take an OL player before the 4th round at the earliest I will be pissed. We need playmakers and big play ability on both sides of the ball but moreso on the offense in the form of WR's and a real threat at TE. Thats the basket our eggs should be put into.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 22, 2012 02:33PM

BNF, I seemed to remember you predicting Reshad Jones would be out of this league as well about a year ago.. I am not so sure your predictions about our players being Soon to be out of this league are as accurate as you make them to be with such dramatic predictions...
Just Crowder52 who would of thought,

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 22, 2012 05:18PM

Ken Wrote:
> If we take an OL player before the 4th round at
> the earliest I will be pissed.

Me too!! What has THAT done for us the last 3 years? We don't need any more hidh round overpaid O-Linemen.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 23, 2012 02:44AM

Date: December 23, 2012 05:11AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> BNF, I seemed to remember you predicting Reshad
> Jones would be out of this league as well about a
> year ago.. I am not so sure your predictions about
> our players being Soon to be out of this league
> are as accurate as you make them to be with such
> dramatic predictions...
> Just Crowder52 who would of thought,

Pardon me sir, but those simply ain't the facts. BigNasty NEVER said Jones was trash in any way shape or forum.

You must be fusing me with another football da Vinci!

I understand. It happens all the time.

BNF. And nothing less.

Date: December 23, 2012 06:15AM

Date: December 23, 2012 06:46AM

OK. So where did I "predict" the kid was "out of the league," as opposed to "out of his league?"

Do you see a subtle difference there?

But yea, I was obviously down on the dude at the time and had serious doubts about his viability.

Buy luckily we've all seen a TON of core roster improvement developed by this new (and excellent!) coaching staff. So guys like Jones etc. are playing way better ball than they were under Baby T and the pizza pizza gang.

Beyond that, I reserve the right to be wrong at any time. So there Mr. Poopy Head!

LOL.

All in fun. Because it's about a freaking game.

BNF.

and PS: me thinks Jones is a stud athlete and not the product of better chemistry **wink**

And sometimes the chemistry kit breaks down and the coitusback goes boom!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2012 06:52AM by BigNastyFish.

Date: December 23, 2012 06:56AM

I thought you were saying he had no NFL career... When you brought up Long's future it kind of reminded me of some of your past statements about good players like the one above... I sure am glad Reshad Jones has an NFL career and I hope Long plays for us and well for another 5 or 6 years..

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: December 23, 2012 07:04AM

Long is done. And something "stinks" about his precipitous decline.

My opinion. Of course.

Date: December 23, 2012 07:28AM

You could be right.... I think he still will play at a high level for at least a few more years...

Nietzsche

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.