HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Every week - no offense!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Every week - no offense!
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 09, 2012 01:17PM

The defense keeps us in it till mistakes change the complexion of the game- and it seems its always us that makes the mistakes- and then our total lack of offense bites us in the a$$! We won't beat too many teams if we can only score field goals.

Unbelieveable-Tannehill misses his last six passes, two to open receivers-not wide open, but makeable throws. The defense falls apart in the final drive for the second straight week, with enough time to tie the game. Then, on 4th down, Tannehill ducks the rush and he's free and clear, and he throws the ball away. Unbelieveable!

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2012 02:07PM by dolphan4545.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Every week - no offense!
Posted by: NJ Dolfan ()
Date: December 09, 2012 01:58PM

While I see a lot of upside to RT, his accuracy concerns me.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 09, 2012 02:01PM

Could run for first downs throws it away on 4th down??

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 09, 2012 02:06PM

it's been this way for years and years, TDs as scarce as shooting stars

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 09, 2012 02:08PM

I missed the first half so, somebody may correct me but, it appears that Tannehill has been stripped of the power to audible. If that is the case then does that mean that Sherman is losing confidence in Tannehill's ability to change the plays at the line? His big plus was supposed to be his familiarity with the system.

Date: December 09, 2012 02:13PM

7 TDS in 13 games isn't first round draft pick worthy performance. Again missed open guys

Henne's theory= "If you can't perform in the redzone or in crunch time, you don't stay around long"

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 09, 2012 02:14PM

Outclassed again by a more athletic team and better play calling.

OC is missing the mark big time. Throwing long when we need to move the sticks down the field incrementally. We had time enough to tie them.

Throwing long without anyone to catch deep passes--not Tannehill's fault. Expecting Bess to split the seams and out run anyone long is ludicrous.
The other thing is that when out WRs do catch the ball they get very little yardage after the catch. Example: Bess immediately falls down after short catches--happened during the first half.

Bottomline: We need a serious upgrade on the WR corps. We need to re-think play calling. Perhaps Sherman should be doing something else like working concessions. Stupid, stupid play calling! what a bunch of crap. angry smiley

Date: December 09, 2012 02:23PM

Could be worse, we could have one of the top WR in football and get skunked by 58!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 09, 2012 03:05PM

The team needs five or six serious playmakers...none of this is, or should be, a suprise to anyone. In fact prior to the season I said, as did many others that 8-8 would be a very sucessful season. We are right on track to reach that or to come close.

We play with heart, intensity, passion, and energy...most of the time. We've been in close, hard fought games almost every week. All things that are very important.

Our problem is really very simple...we are not athletic or fast enough as an offensive team to compete with the best squads in the league. And our secondary and LB's need to be bolstered.

I look for us to add speedy, athletic, physical, playmakers in this years draft...anything less will be a failure by the staff.

Fact is, we are mostly good, but not good enough...yet. RT will be better next season, as should the bulk of our young players, and that is a huge positive for the growth of the team.

All is not lost...disapointing I know, but not lost.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 09, 2012 03:51PM

This lack of scoring is not anything new. Even as division winners in 2008, with Chad Pennington at QB, we were 21st in the league in points scored. This team needs a lot more offensive talent, and that has been the case for years.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 09, 2012 03:55PM

our defense needs work too

jeff ireland is the architect of this team---and he's going to be making our picks next year too. is it any wonder we are disillusioned?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 09, 2012 04:25PM

I never thought too much of Mike Sherman. He has had limited success with offenses as the OC.

1999 Jon Kitna 3346 23/16 77.7 rating

Matt Schaub's first year in Houston in 11 games...

2007 2241 9/9 87.2 rating

As HC...
Brett Favre

2000 3812 20/16 QB rating 78
2001 3472 32/15 QB rating 94.1
2002 3658 27/16 QB rating 85.6
2003 3361 32/21 QB rating 90.4
2004 4088 30/17 QB rating 92.4
2005 3888 20/29 QB rating 70.9

Pretty good but with a HOF QB and a talented offense. Ahman Green days, Donald Driver, Antonio Freeman, Corey Bradford, Bubba Franks, Javon Walker.

But yeah....they don't need a #1 WR.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 09, 2012 07:34PM

We definitely need an upgrade in the receiver corps, but when you have 3 guys open and miss them, that's not playcalling.

Rick

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: December 09, 2012 08:03PM

Tannehill was horrible at the end of the 4th. This is nothing new.

Kapernick proved why he has what it takes to be a top tier QB today. When the 4th qtr came, he made plays.

This game just highlights the poor drafting by Ireland over the past few years. And now we are about to see him waste another draft.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Date: December 09, 2012 08:12PM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Outclassed again by a more athletic team and
> better play calling.
>
> OC is missing the mark big time. Throwing long
> when we need to move the sticks down the field
> incrementally. We had time enough to tie them.
>
> Throwing long without anyone to catch deep
> passes--not Tannehill's fault. Expecting Bess to
> split the seams and out run anyone long is
> ludicrous.
> The other thing is that when out WRs do catch the
> ball they get very little yardage after the catch.
> Example: Bess immediately falls down after short
> catches--happened during the first half.
>
> Bottomline: We need a serious upgrade on the WR
> corps. We need to re-think play calling. Perhaps
> Sherman should be doing something else like
> working concessions. Stupid, stupid play calling!
> what a bunch of crap. angry smiley

I saw a few overthrows of open receivers at the end of the game. Maybe better WR will get open "more", but if Tannehill overthrows them, it won't matter.

Date: December 09, 2012 08:24PM

eesti Wrote:
> I never thought too much of Mike Sherman. He has
> had limited success with offenses as the OC.
>
> 1999 Jon Kitna 3346 23/16 77.7 rating
>
> Matt Schaub's first year in Houston in 11
> games...
>
> 2007 2241 9/9 87.2 rating
>
> As HC...
> Brett Favre
>
> 2000 3812 20/16 QB rating 78
> 2001 3472 32/15 QB rating 94.1
> 2002 3658 27/16 QB rating 85.6
> 2003 3361 32/21 QB rating 90.4
> 2004 4088 30/17 QB rating 92.4
> 2005 3888 20/29 QB rating 70.9
>
> Pretty good but with a HOF QB and a talented
> offense. Ahman Green days, Donald Driver, Antonio
> Freeman, Corey Bradford, Bubba Franks, Javon
> Walker.
>
> But yeah....they don't need a #1 WR.

His QBs are averaging ratings in the mid eighties. Tannehill isn't close. But then Tannehills throws haven't been that accurate, and in the forth quarter he folds.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 10, 2012 01:46AM

The kid doesn't fold; it takes two to tango. You have to have "go to" players when the chips are down. Who fits that description? Bush? Thomas?
Miller? What about in the passing department? Maybe Bess on short routes and maybe Hartline on medium routes. Where was Clay?

Where was the mixing of run and pass? What about quick slants? No, none of these, just long desperation throws to players like Moore and Matthews who are seldom on the field offensively.

Kapernick's run for TD was amazing. It caught our defense by surprise despite knowing that he has wheels. Our D played poorly, in the last few minutes, because they know it's all on them. The O is awful and can't be relied on to score points. Very disappointing, to say the least.

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: December 10, 2012 03:19AM

TanneThrill had no time to throw

Date: December 10, 2012 04:49AM

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 10, 2012 05:39AM

Tannehill has corrected some early issues (batted balls and INT's) and he doesn't take a lot of sacks. He IS a smart guy and and IMO an upgrade over Henne AND over Moore also simply because Moore doesn't have his physical skills. BUT I'm getting tired of cutting him rookie slack, he's had almost an entire season now as starter. To me there is still a BIG issue. Deep Accuracy:

We always complain about not being able to 'stretch the field' yet over the last couple games there have been several times that receivers have gotten behind the defense and Tannehill has flat out MISSED them.

Yesterday there were several plays in the 4th qtr when the receivers were open down the sideline and there was a window, not a big window, but space to put the ball. Tannehill's passes sailed long or out of bounds.

Being able to drop the ball in there at distance is what makes you a top tier NFL QB. This problem is becoming noticeable and I'm not sure it's something you can coach. But I am sure if you can't do this fairly reliably your NOT going to be an elite NFL QB.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 10, 2012 05:50AM

Agreed!

The only thing I would challenge is the number of playmakers we need.

For example...what if we had Calvin Johnson? 1 guy. That changes the game enough that the defensive adjustments alone improves our run game.

Calvin Johnson, Hartline, Bess, and Bush on the same field? Our TE is now open...appearing to have miraculously 'improved'.

I think we need 3 playmakers to be a play-off caliber team.

#1- Impact WR - size, speed, hands. Not necessarily Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson....but a legit #1 WR with 4.4 speed, 6'3", 200+ lbs., and high reception %.

#2 - Impact ILB - we don't have a true MLB. Gore showed that quite vividly...so did James...so did C.J. Spiller, Chris Johnson, Jake Locker, Luck, Fitzpatrick. We need a legit 250 lb no-neck, powerhouse who can run with his chest 2 feet above the ground, and can stop a RB at the point of contact.

#3 - Impact CB/FS - a shutdown corner improves the whole secondary...a ballhawking FS helps the corners. Pick one. Get it done.

Date: December 10, 2012 06:01AM

He had success early on and it is true that he has been struggling. Those long passes from yesterday would have had to be perfect throws.

I think he will get more comfortable and better with time. Especially if he can get some time in the pocket the way Marino had with Webb and Sims back in the early 90's. It's hard to be accurate on deep balls CONSISTENTLY if you cannot step into your throw.

Maybe we need another Texas A&M tackle like Richmond Webb (Jake Mathews).

Miami gave up only 18 sacks in 94.

Remember the commercials with Richmonds and Keith Sims?

Webb to the defensive line: "Sorry. Mr. Marino isn't accepting any visitors today."

.....................................................................................

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: December 10, 2012 06:09AM

I agree an AJ Green WR would be great, but the fact is Tannehill cannot his the receievers that are open now....

Tannehill is the worst rookie QB right now. Cousins looked better then him.

This deep ball inaccuracy really worries me.....

Philipin ruined this year starting him

Date: December 10, 2012 06:16AM

bla bla bla...

Date: December 10, 2012 06:25AM

I started that. My Bad.eye rolling smiley

Date: December 10, 2012 06:43AM

Date: December 10, 2012 06:52AM

Date: December 10, 2012 07:27AM

No doubt whatsoever at this point. So we have a LT who plays great until we finally draft a 1st round QB....then he plays like crap and is most likley gone by next season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2012 07:28AM by eesti.

Posted by: kck1084 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 07:45AM

Tannehill threw a perfect deep ball to Moore that should have been caught and if caught could have went for a TD.

Also, the pass to Hartline early in the game that went for a bunch should have went for a TD if not for him being tackled by a finger as it appeared to me.

So Tannehill did make some damn good throws that could have went for huge TDs if our wide receivers were able to make plays that most other wide receivers could.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 11, 2012 08:15AM

kck1084 Wrote:
> Tannehill threw a perfect deep ball to Moore that
> should have been caught and if caught could have
> went for a TD.
>
> Also, the pass to Hartline early in the game that
> went for a bunch should have went for a TD if not
> for him being tackled by a finger as it appeared
> to me.
>
> So Tannehill did make some damn good throws that
> could have went for huge TDs if our wide receivers
> were able to make plays that most other wide
> receivers could.

He speaketh the truth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.