HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Where are we now?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Where are we now?
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: November 05, 2012 10:23AM

We face...

Titans (home)
Bills (road)
Seahawks (home)
Patriots (home)
49ers (road)
Jaguars (home)
Bills (home)
Patriots (road)

To make up for this loss that shouldn't have been, we have to beat one or two of the teams that we aren't supposed to beat.

We have to win 2 of the 3 games vs NE and SF.

If we win half those games we will be 8-8. If we just win all our home games we are 9-7.

It will be interesting to see if we can rise above this tough loss or sink into mediocrity.

8 games left. I say we go 5-3 for a 9-7 record. Not a bad turn-around from 6-10 with an entire new staff and rookie QB.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where are we now?
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 05, 2012 10:32AM

...heading back to the drawing board, then the practice field.

They also need to get the cob webs out of their heads, face the fact they played poorly as a unit, and correct the missteps from Sunday's game.

Jimmy Wilson, missed coverage and needs to sit out a game IMO.

The team didn't run the ball enough to the left side...we could have taken advantage of Freeny's rush and efforts against Long and run the ball right past him. We need to toughen up at L and R Tackle.

If we can run the ball 23-26 times in a game--get 100-110 yds out of our backs, our passing game will improve.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: November 05, 2012 10:47AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We face...
>
> Titans (home)
> Bills (road)
> Seahawks (home)
> Patriots (home)
> 49ers (road)
> Jaguars (home)
> Bills (home)
> Patriots (road)
>
> To make up for this loss that shouldn't have been,
> we have to beat one or two of the teams that we
> aren't supposed to beat.
>
> We have to win 2 of the 3 games vs NE and SF.
>
> If we win half those games we will be 8-8. If we
> just win all our home games we are 9-7.
>
> It will be interesting to see if we can rise above
> this tough loss or sink into mediocrity.
>
> 8 games left. I say we go 5-3 for a 9-7 record.
> Not a bad turn-around from 6-10 with an entire new
> staff and rookie QB.

I hope you are right eesti but I don't know.

I think we have 3 losses in our last 8 for sure. We just aren't as good as SF and NE. Maybe we can poach one of them but I doubt it.

And while I like where we are headed and what I've seen from this team and staff this year, I don't think we are good enough yet to win all the games we could win let alone all the ones we should win.

I think we probably go 4-4 or 3-5 in the 2nd half and finish 8-8 or 7-9.

If we are in the hunt down the stretch for a playoff spot, this loss to the colts will be the one we look back at and say "that's where it came apart."

I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 05, 2012 10:47AM

Agreed. It was weird to watch a 17-13 and 20-17 game in the 3rd and 4th quarters and to have the feeling that if we were to maintain any commitment to the run we'd get left in the dust. Luck was tearing apart our secondary and foiling our rush, but the game was close all the way through and yet it felt like we were desperately trying to keep up with Luck's aerial performance unnecessarily...at least that's how I felt as I watched. We had 20 and 18 yard runs by two different backs and Lamar Miller pitched in 7 on his only carry. We averaged 5 yards a pop excluding RT's kneel-down.

Date: November 06, 2012 03:25AM

colonel Wrote:
> ...heading back to the drawing board, then the
> practice field.
>
> They also need to get the cob webs out of their
> heads, face the fact they played poorly as a unit,
> and correct the missteps from Sunday's game.
>
> Jimmy Wilson, missed coverage and needs to sit out
> a game IMO.
>

If we sat everyone who screwed up on Sunday we would be without a team. Smith, Carroll and almost everyone else gave up big plays. There were way too many wide open WR's and missed tackles.

They just have to let it go and do better next week against Tennessee. We have two games in a 4 day span coming up.

.....................................................................................

Date: November 06, 2012 03:43AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> I hope you are right eesti but I don't know.
>
> I think we have 3 losses in our last 8 for sure.
> We just aren't as good as SF and NE. Maybe we
> can poach one of them but I doubt it.
>
> And while I like where we are headed and what I've
> seen from this team and staff this year, I don't
> think we are good enough yet to win all the games
> we could win let alone all the ones we should
> win.
>
> I think we probably go 4-4 or 3-5 in the 2nd half
> and finish 8-8 or 7-9.
>
> If we are in the hunt down the stretch for a
> playoff spot, this loss to the colts will be the
> one we look back at and say "that's where it came
> apart."
>
> I hope I'm wrong.

I know what you're saying and I am probably overly optimistic. Truth is I really can't get a feel because we have no identity yet. We have played great in all phases at times but just not consistently and never at the same time.

We are going to need some serious coaching to bring it all together and keep it there.

The good news is we are only 1 game out of first place and sit alone in 2nd place.

NE also has to play 4 more division opponents which are always tough games. They also have to play Houston and the 49ers.

If I were Philbin, I would be thinking a lot about how to beat NE since we have to face them twice. Probably good for us is the fact that we play NE late in the year and can work out some kinks beforehand. If by some miracle we can sweep NE we would be in good shape for a division title. Might as well dream big right? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 06, 2012 05:22AM

I think Seattle is going to be a tough matchup. Their secondary is going to be the toughest test for tannehill down the stretch.

they can be run on though

Date: November 06, 2012 06:10AM

True. They have a good, young team.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 06, 2012 07:42AM

My expectations for this year are the same as when the season started; keep seeing improvemnet out of our young guys and win the games we're supposed to win, Bills(2), Titans & Jags, we win those and we're 8-8 with some young talent that contributed, if we squeeze in an upset or two with the Pats(2), 49ers or Seattle then great.
Keep in mind, 3 out of our 4 loses we're all decided by 3 pts and to some good teams. Up to this point, this team has been a pleasant surprisesmileys with beer

Date: November 06, 2012 07:54AM

True but it doesn't mean we can't get extra enjoyment by knocking the Jets and/or Patriots out of the playoffs. smiling smiley

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 06, 2012 08:08AM

eesti Wrote:
> True but it doesn't mean we can't get extra
> enjoyment by knocking the Jets and/or Patriots out
> of the playoffs. smiling smiley

I don't see the Jets making the playoffs. I think the beat down we gave them exposed enough holes where they'll be lucky to end up 8-8.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: November 06, 2012 11:15AM

It's funny how at the beginning of the season, I had zero expectations for playoffs or even finishing .500. My main concern was that we see progress and determine finally whether we had our QB of the future. I'll admit, I bought in to the 3 game win streak and was thinking that a win at Indy would put us in the cat bird seat for at least a wild card. Well, the performance on Sunday (or lack thereof) has given me pause to regain some perspective.

If we're being honest, none of us thought that we were a playoff team when the year began. Some were saying that Philbin was the second coming of Cam Cameron. Tannehill wouldn't see the field. And no one (at least no one I'm aware of) was predicting we'd be at .500 at the midway point in the season. Now, Sunday to me was mostly disquieting because whatever progress we'd seen on the defensive side of the ball was definitely not on display against the colts. Clearly the offensive line and running game have regressed since the beginning of the season. However, things aren't usually as good as they seem after a win and they're not usually as bad as they seem after a loss. The positives so far this year outweigh the negatives (at least IMO).

1. We're two games away from winning as many games as we won all of last year with 8 games to go.

2. I know not everyone agrees, but I think Tannehill is the best prospect we've had at QB in Miami since Danny. He's gutsy, smart, has all the physical tools, and seems to be a leader.

3. I think Philbin is a keeper. He's smart and has a distinct vision of what he wants this team to be. Has he made mistakes? Sure. All first year coaches do. But I think someone would have to be blind not to see the differences between how he has run this team so far and the clueless, in over his head, approach that Tony Sparano demonstrated during his tenure (particularly at the end).

4. We have a lot of draft picks next year to address the obvious holes on the team. Will Ireland select wisely? Who knows, but the more picks you have the better the chance of striking gold.

5. NE is a Brady retirement away from being a pretty ordinary team. Even with Brady, they've shown several chinks in their customary armor.

6. The jets are in shambles with a horrible QB whose contract they just extended and a coach who was idiotic enough to hire Tony Sparano to lead the offense. They're old on defense and looking at a total rebuild.

7. The bills look like they'll be looking for a new QB and head coach this off season. As we long suffering Dolphin fans know, there's no certain or easy solution to that problem.

Cheer up guys. It may not have been evident on Sunday, but we're clearly further along than we thought we'd be when the season opened in Houston. A win against Tennessee will do a lot to put us all in a better mood. It could be a lot worse. You could be jet fans....

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 06, 2012 11:33AM

I'll say again. Remember the Houston game wherein Tanny had so many balls batted down?

Maybe that way people will see what I'm talking about.

Again, and Again and Again, I'll say that we lost this game for one reason and one reason only.

That reason is that our pass rushers tried to dive low on Andrew Luck when they got close and did not stick their hands up.

Not that they would have batted the balls down like the Texans did to Tanny but that it would have disrupted his throwing and accuracy.

I must confess. Luck is amazingly accurate at long distance. That's why the most important thing is to get in the way of his eyes and arms and not to tackle his body.

Had we done so, there would not have been so many "third and long" completions. Subtract just a few of those and we win the game, even given all our other defects in our game that day.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: November 06, 2012 11:39AM

I agree that, in all honesty 3 of our 4 losses, we could have won... Heartbreaking losses really...
The most important factor in our future success, is if we can fix the issues Luck exploited with our defense.. Can the offensive line tighten up, Can the run game get going again.. And hopefully RT has gained experience and knowledge from these close losses, and improves the offenses ability to close out games... To win those games we lost, it wouldnt take much difference, if one of the three factors I mentioned were improved in any of those 3 losses, we probably win.... Lets see if the coaches can do their thing, and coach these fellas up.. I cant take to many more of these 3 point losses....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: November 06, 2012 01:52PM

Tell me about it. My heart was racing since 10 minutes before kickoff. After the game I shut the TV off and had to leave the house and go to the beach. No more football that week for me.

Date: November 06, 2012 02:17PM

eesti Wrote:
No more football that week for me.

I know the feeling, it is seems tougher to lose these games we should have or could have won.... I am happy that the teams is winning ball games but these losses seem to hurt more, with 2 OT losses and this last one to the Colts... been pretty tough to lose like this.....

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 06, 2012 03:04PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I'll say again. Remember the Houston game wherein
> Tanny had so many balls batted down?
>
> Maybe that way people will see what I'm talking
> about.
>
> Again, and Again and Again, I'll say that we lost
> this game for one reason and one reason only.
>
> That reason is that our pass rushers tried to dive
> low on Andrew Luck when they got close and did not
> stick their hands up.
>
> Not that they would have batted the balls down
> like the Texans did to Tanny but that it would
> have disrupted his throwing and accuracy.
>
> I must confess. Luck is amazingly accurate at
> long distance. That's why the most important
> thing is to get in the way of his eyes and arms
> and not to tackle his body.
>
> Had we done so, there would not have been so many
> "third and long" completions. Subtract just a few
> of those and we win the game, even given all our
> other defects in our game that day.

The problem I see with your last statement, Chyren, is that there were at least two balls that Luck threw that should have been touchdowns if the receivers had held on to the ball. So, IMO, that negates those "blocking Luck's vision" statement.

However, I will give you that our guys need to do a better job of getting more pressure on the passer, which would allow our DBs to stick by the receivers. Our D, as a whole, just didn't get it done!

BTW, if our DBs had held onto the ball, that could have also changed the outcome of the game. <Sigh>

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 07, 2012 04:01AM

Date: November 07, 2012 04:07AM

Crowder52 Wrote:

And hopefully RT has gained experience and knowledge from these close losses, and improves the offenses ability to close out games...

IMHO he will when he gets the weapons that he needs and we fix the OL problems...

someone said i forgot who...and iam too lazy to go back and look.......that we might as well insert....jonathan martin on the left side right now if we are going to do it any time in the future.................. and i have to agree.....

Its his natural position anyways.....if they are planning to do it in the future just go on and do it right now.....And put jake long on the right side.....I mean jake cant play any worst anyways...

He is going to get tannehill injured very soon.

Date: November 07, 2012 09:15AM

Date: November 07, 2012 11:17AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Crowder52 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> And hopefully RT has gained experience and
> knowledge from these close losses, and improves
> the offenses ability to close out games...
>
>
>
> IMHO he will when he gets the weapons that he
> needs and we fix the OL problems...
>
Andrew Luck closed out the game on his end, with Oline problems and less weapons then us. We got beat by their number 2 and 3 WR's, with a back up rb and back up TE in the game...It is not like the Colts are stacked with Talent. We knocked out their center on a beat up line..Luck avoided the rush by his doing way better then RT was able to for whatever reasons.. Franchise QB's can take over the game and score when they have to....... The most impressive drive we had was our last TD, which Bush ran in with that unbelievable run. But if you watch that drive, the play calling really counteracted the rush.. With big screen plays to Thomas and Bush and great runs by both of them as well...
Also watching the game again Luck did get a bit lucky with his numbers, we left a pick 6 on the field, Sean SMith missed at least 2 interceptions, and Carroll had a shot at another... Thats 4 interceptions we potentially left of the field...smh

Nietzsche

Date: November 07, 2012 11:19AM

Luck had all day to throw the football compared to tannehill.

Date: November 07, 2012 11:43AM

Luck was able to avoid the rush by shifting in the pocket like Marino use to.. We had good pressure, Luck was just slick about avoiding it and getting his passes off accurately under pressure... RT was not... RT wasnt able to extend plays on his own like Luck was able to do on sunday.. RT was not very good on 3rd downs in this game and Luck was amazing on third downs...

Nietzsche

Date: November 07, 2012 12:32PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> -----
> > Crowder52 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > And hopefully RT has gained experience and
> > knowledge from these close losses, and improves
> > the offenses ability to close out games...
> >
> >
> >
> > IMHO he will when he gets the weapons that he
> > needs and we fix the OL problems...
> >

> Andrew Luck closed out the game on his end, with
> Oline problems and less weapons then us.

Less Weapons? Reggie Wayne has been to more pro-bowls and has more career receiving yards than all our skill guys combined. And that includes Gaffney who's been here for all of 2 games.

Donnie Avery was the 33rd overall selection in the draft 4 years ago.

TY Hilton was a 3rd round pick this year. So was Dwayne Allen. His other TE (fleener who didnt play) was the 2nd pick of round 2 this year.

Luck has a 1st rounder in wayne. Fleener and Avery who missed the 1st round by 1 or 2 picks. A pair of 3rd rounders in Hilton and Allen to go with 6th rounder Brazill as his receiving corps.

Tannehill has what? Bess..undrtafted FA. Marlon Moore...undrafted FA. Hartline...4th round pick. Fasano...2nd round pick. Clay...6th round pick. And just added Gaffney for 1 game who was a 2nd round pick back in the day.

I don't know how ANYONE who isn't spinning for effect could honestly claim we have more offensive "talent" than the colts.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 08, 2012 01:06AM

The Truth just got to 270

Date: November 08, 2012 02:58AM

RT has the number 2 overall pick in Reggie Bush as a weapon, he is protected by a number 1 pick overall LT, a 1st rd Center, a second rd right tackle, and 2 3rd pick guards.... Brian Hartline had more yards then Reggie Wayne in this game, Davone Bess is defintely considered a weapon.. Truth dont yu remember, you told me yourself how critcal of a difference Gaffney is by just inserting him in the offense, you told me he made all the difference in the world to this offense... Anthony Fasano, not exactly a scrub.. Charles Clay who caught a big pass in the game..etc
Luck got more players involved was better at avoiding the rush, extending playswith his legs, and spread the ball around much better... His timing and accuracy was superior... The Talent came from the QB, but i guess you missed that part...

Nietzsche

Date: November 08, 2012 04:06AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> RT has the number 2 overall pick in Reggie Bush as
> a weapon, he is protected by a number 1 pick
> overall LT, a 1st rd Center, a second rd right
> tackle, and 2 3rd pick guards....

I guess you forgot that Donald Brown was a 1st round pick for the colts.

And how many catches did all that talent on our oline have?

> Brian Hartline
> had more yards then Reggie Wayne in this game,
> Davone Bess is defintely considered a weapon..

Nobody said Bess and Hartline werent solid players. We were discussing your claim that Luck beat us with "Less" talent than RT had...

> Truth dont yu remember, you told me yourself how
> critcal of a difference Gaffney is by just
> inserting him in the offense, you told me he made
> all the difference in the world to this offense...

Maybe that's what you read...but that doesn't surprise me. I said gaffney makes our offense BETTER just by his presence on the field as a 3rd viable receiving threat. And he does.

That in no way implies let alone states that he makes us a great offense or more talented than the colts receiving corps.

Nice try, but that was an utterly predictable spin/distortion as a response.

> Anthony Fasano, not exactly a scrub.. Charles Clay
> who caught a big pass in the game..etc
> Luck got more players involved was better at
> avoiding the rush, extending playswith his legs,
> and spread the ball around much better... His
> timing and accuracy was superior... The Talent
> came from the QB, but i guess you missed that
> part...

Nobody is arguing that Luck was better or that he's a superior talent to RT.

What is being argued is your claim that he beat us with LESS talent.

You can talk our guys up all you want. I can probably find comments for each of them where you blasted them in the past so its just spin for effect at this point..

I'm not going to get into an argument with you over arbitrary judgements on ewach players talent level.

I just gave you the ACTUAL draft positions of each to show what has been invested in acquiring them...or how their talent level was judged by those in the industry when it came to acquiring them. Its not a perfect measurement by any means...buts its a bit less arbitrary than saying "Bess is considered a weapon".

Date: November 08, 2012 04:12AM

Luck has as many weapons or even more weapons than tannehill....And the colts OL played way better than the phins OL....

When i see the replay of the game i saw a battle of 2 heavy weight QBs going at it....

Luck is going to be a star but tannehill is going to be a star also.

Jake long almost got tannehill killed.

Date: November 08, 2012 04:14AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> The Truth just got to 270

?

Date: November 08, 2012 07:03AM

As in...you won (the argument). 270 electoral votes. That's my guess anyway.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.