HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Regression on Defense
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Regression on Defense
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: November 04, 2012 12:54PM

So after having a little time to cool off after that game today, I was able to pinpoint some of the things that really bothered me in the game. Mainly, the regression on the defensive side of the ball. The offense had some positives and negatives but I would rather focus this thread on defense.

We have established an identity on defense of creating TO's, creating pressure, forcing 3 & longs and getting off the field, playing stingy run D, challenging WR at the LOS, and playing stingy in the red zone. We are extremely effective when we play to this identity and it is our blueprint for success. So just by comparing this list to the things we struggled with today, it is easy to see why we weren't effective.

Particular things out of character from today.

-We need to challenge WR at the LOS.
If that means we go to more Cover 2 looks then so be it but Sean Smith and Nolan Carroll are infinitely more effective challenging WR at the LOS. We backed off because they have some WR with deep speed and we wanted to play man coverage(or cover3/4) all game which got our DBs on their heels and they could break off timing routes for 10 yards hitches, outs, and digs all game. This loose coverage is the main contributor to all their long 3rd down conversions.

-Missed tackles.
Most noticeable when we blitzed and expected our LBs to come up and make the tackles on the hot receiver. We missed those tackles, or were out of position, and they were able to convert 1st downs on many of those plays. Sean Smith is notorious for being a bad tackler but this season, before today, he has been a very good tackler for us. Today he regressed back to the whiffing Sean Smith and he needs to put it behind him.

-Lack of pressure.
Well, actually we hurried Luck quite a bit but he has great pocket presence and strength so he was able to locate guys on the fly and get the ball to them. Odrick and Wake (Wake got chipped a ton) did fairly well off the edge but we got little push up the middle unless we blitzed. Our blitzes were largely ineffective as well and that may be due to poor disguises or Luck just being really effing smart. All in all, lack of pressure wasn't as much of a problem as lack of coverage but some plays Luck had WAY too much time.

-Long drives.
The result of all their 3rd down conversions led to long drives, an exhausted defense, and limited possessions for our offense. Not a good way to win a football game.

We made some nice adjustments at halftime but it was too little too late. Obviously a frustrating day but hopefully it is just an anomaly and we can go back to all the things that have made us a successful defense this season.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Regression on Defense
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: November 04, 2012 05:05PM

First game against a decent QB since game 1

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 05, 2012 12:59AM

Luck had a QBR of 74 before going into yesterday's game. Our defense made him look like the greatest QB of all time.

BTW, you better be prepped this week if you listen to sports talk radio, because Luck is gonna be all they talk about.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: November 05, 2012 03:38AM

Thats what happened. We have a decent defense. They just had a bad day against a great rookie QB. Their recivers were killing it too.

Oh......and Jake Long sucked Yesterday. angry smiley

Posted by: KB ()
Date: November 05, 2012 04:39AM

The pass rush was could just NOT get over the hump. They were usually inches from Luck or hanging on. On the other hand the Colts line was getting the Patriot treatment from the refs (Hold at will boys, Hold at will!)

Date: November 05, 2012 04:58AM

I really believe that the word is in to give certain players (Luck) extra help to become stars for the NFL. The Refs really do slant towards other Teams.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: November 05, 2012 05:13AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really believe that the word is in to give
> certain players (Luck) extra help to become stars
> for the NFL. The Refs really do slant towards
> other Teams.

I agree, It's been going on in the NBA for several decades now. Guess the NFL figured it's time to catch up lol!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 05, 2012 06:26AM

We lost because our defense and offensive line stunk yesterday...

The real Deal Tannehill was harrassed big time. He is one tough cookie. He got hit very hard yesterday. Good that he is 6'4 and as tough as they come.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: November 05, 2012 06:36AM

dolphin1423 good post.

I agree the DB's shoulda pressed, I dont care who the WR are, our DB's need to press to be good. It is disappointing the current coaching staff does not see this. Hopefully they will now.

I think the plan was not to get beat by their WR, instead we got beat up!

I believe in going out and punching them in the mouth, not waiting to be punched.

And Long does suck!

Posted by: woulf ()
Date: November 05, 2012 09:41AM

Our DL had good pressure, Luck never had unlimited time to pass. He was getting the ball out fast, and our coverage just couldn't stop the pass.

The colts had 13 3rd down conversions, that's just insane, and every one was a pass. Our line got to 3rd and long so many times just to watch a quick pass cover the whole distance.

Then the two big long passes that should have been intercepted by Smith. Most of it was just that Luck really is good. He had good movement, quick release and he was so accurate.

The special teams did well, our offense did well, and I felt like our Defensive secondary lost the passing grade for our defense.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: November 05, 2012 10:12AM

and we had NO running game to speak of against the 25th ranked rush defense. Under 100 yards total.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.