HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I reject Carpenter's apology
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I reject Carpenter's apology
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 23, 2012 02:51PM

Not for the reason you think.

Carpenter has publicly accepted responsibility for the loss.

I don't even think he is responsible for the missed field goal.,

No, not saying it was the holder etc.

Just saying that when your team uses every down to get you as close as possible when they KNOW a field goal will win it, then it is your responsibility even if it is a 50 yarder.

But when your team figures that you SHOULD MAKE A 45 yarder and they waste their offensive downs with long bomb pass incompletions, then it is NOT your fault as a kicker.

The failure of that kick was the responsibility of the coaching staff.

YOU NEVER TAKE A FIELD GOAL OF MORE THAN 40 YARDS FOR GRANTED, DAMMIT, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I reject Carpenter's apology
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 23, 2012 03:00PM

Except for that when the team throws to the end zone like we did. They are attempting to win the game outright, and to not put the kicker in the position to have to make a kick...being aggressive is OK with me.

It didn't work but I don't fault the thinking...a 45 yard kick should routine and close to automtic for Carpenter in good weather.

Date: September 23, 2012 03:21PM

I disagree. You try to make a good odds thing a sure thing. You don't gamble on a long range pass. That pass was a sideline pass which, in and of itself, is long odds to begin with. Every yard counts with a field goal.

In one yard, a field goal that hooks left would have stayed in.

A field goal that fades right would have stayed in.

You just don't waste it on a silly long bomb.

Another team playing a late game followed my advice and won.

Date: September 23, 2012 03:31PM

And. it's like icing the kicker and letting Tannehill bomb away as if he were Peyton Manning and all the stupid little plays calls in between, its just a sh_tty called game. We will never win a close game. We were lucky to win the Raider game.

Ross must know absolutely NOTHING about football to watch the clown show going on and to think it normal.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: September 23, 2012 04:47PM

It's not luck when you win 34-13. Just sayin

Posted by: gnrbaby ()
Date: September 23, 2012 04:51PM

IT just sucks. Carpenter is a good kicker, but today he let us down. If he had made his 2 kicks we would have won by 6 points. We let it slide through our fingers. Just have to move to week 4 now. HopefulY Danny boy bounces back from this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2012 05:04PM by gnrbaby.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: September 23, 2012 04:54PM

yup, problem is that the NFC West no longer looks like the worst division in football. Arizona is gonna be tough.

Date: September 23, 2012 04:57PM

34-13????????

Date: September 23, 2012 05:01PM

What is the reference to 34-13?

Posted by: DarthHoodie ()
Date: September 23, 2012 05:18PM

Those kicks used to be automatic for the Carp. I don't know he's been off ever since last season. Maybe he's not getting the reps like he did under tony fist pump. winking smiley

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: September 23, 2012 05:35PM

Carpenter is done. Get him outta here.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: September 23, 2012 07:13PM

Carpenter may be the goat, but I gotta look at the offenses' piss poor performance. It had first down right around the 30 yard line and didn't move an inch.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Date: September 23, 2012 08:39PM

Only thing worse is seeing it live. I can't even comment because my emotions are still running at such a high level at the moment. angry smileyhot smiley

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: September 24, 2012 01:00AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> But when your team figures that you SHOULD MAKE A
> 45 yarder and they waste their offensive downs
> with long bomb pass incompletions, then it is NOT
> your fault as a kicker.
>
> The failure of that kick was the responsibility of
> the coaching staff.
>
> YOU NEVER TAKE A FIELD GOAL OF MORE THAN 40 YARDS
> FOR GRANTED, DAMMIT, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.

Couldn't have said it better. Coaches cost us this one and they had better get their proverbial heads out of their as$es or it's going to be a long season for sure.

Date: September 24, 2012 08:59AM

Did RT apologize for his pick 6?

Date: September 24, 2012 09:27AM

Will you GET OFF RT, Dk! If he sucks so bad, how can you say that there is no responsibility on the coaches that not only continue to play him but let him have a free rein to change plays??????????????????

Can't answer that, can you?

You know why you can't answer that?

You are so friggin obsessed with your hatred of Tannehill that it has become a MEDICAL problem with you!!!!!

You don't even make logical sense anymore.

Anybody else would not only blame Tannehill but also blame the coaches for playing him.

You're so screwed up in the mind that you blame him but somehow say that the coaches that play him are not to blame.

Find a couch, DK. The type in a room where there is a diploma on the wall.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 24, 2012 09:33AM

Yes chren i agree dolphanking is obsessed with his hate toward the man ryan tannehill that its not possible to reason with him.

Wrap him up in a straight jacket, lock him up, and throw away the key.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: September 24, 2012 09:42AM

I agree you try to get closer for Carpenter. 48 is not automatic.

Date: September 24, 2012 10:01AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Will you GET OFF RT, Dk! If he sucks so bad, how
> can you say that there is no responsibility on the
> coaches that not only continue to play him but let
> him have a free rein to change
> plays??????????????????
>
> Can't answer that, can you?
>
> You know why you can't answer that?
>
> You are so friggin obsessed with your hatred of
> Tannehill that it has become a MEDICAL problem
> with you!!!!!
>
> You don't even make logical sense anymore.
>
> Anybody else would not only blame Tannehill but
> also blame the coaches for playing him.
>
> You're so screwed up in the mind that you blame
> him but somehow say that the coaches that play him
> are not to blame.
>
> Find a couch, DK. The type in a room where there
> is a diploma on the wall.

That QB play was bad.

Pick 6. No clutch passing.

You want to say I'm crazy? Did I imagine a pick 6? Did I imagine RT throw 5 straight incomplete passes from inside the 50, and getting bailed out by a questionable PI?

Let me know if I imagined these things, and I'll call the wacky doc.

If I didn't imagine these things, then I'll have to say that our QB play is a lot less stellar than some of the more delusional would like to think.

Date: September 24, 2012 06:27PM

Rt moved the offense as far as the coaching staff allowed in his two last drives. One netted a fg to tie and one gave us a chance to win. Kicker missed the one to win. How you putting that on qb play?

There are a lot of places to put blame (kicker, playcalling, defense, slow receivers, etc.) but rt is at the bottom of that list.

Date: September 24, 2012 07:13PM

GBOFinFan Wrote:
> Rt moved the offense as far as the coaching staff
> allowed in his two last drives. One netted a fg to
> tie and one gave us a chance to win. Kicker missed
> the one to win. How you putting that on qb play?
>

With the ball on the 35, there were a couple WRs open underneath, but RT kept throwing deep.

How do you put that on the coaching staff?

Date: September 24, 2012 07:16PM

There have always been TWO ways or outlooks on who loses a game.

And neither is right or wrong. They are just two ways of looking at it.

The first way is what we can call the "overall view." This view looks at the entire game and picks out deficits in performances of either a player or coaching or defense, offense, kicking etc.

The second way is the "historical view." You look at plays that would have won the game.

DK is trying to say that RT lost the game under either theory. He says that RT's overall play lost us the game and he says that in particular the pick six lost us the game.

Now the problem with the "overall view," any overall view, is that unless you have perfect performances by every other segment EXCEPT the one you are blaming, it is patently unfair.

For example, you can't blame the defense if the offense continually turns the ball over inside your own 20 yard line. You can't blame the offense if the offense puts up 50 points and the defense gives up 60 points. You can't blame the QB if the receivers dropped 10 passes during the game. You can't blame the running back if there is no blocking.

What does this all mean?

It means that this first way of assigning the reason is a very slippery proposition. It the LEAST RELIABLE way of arguing why a game was lost. For every fault you can assign to one player or segment, someone can counter with the fact that there were other failures.

Now the second way is to try to come up with what play caused the scoreboard to move or not move. DK argues that takeaway the pick six and we win.

True.

However, the problem with that method is that you just can't PICK AND CHOOSE your scoring or non-scoring plays to assign blame to.

Let's take that pick six for example. Yeah, you could argue that pick six cost us mathematically but the problem is that had we kicked the field goal, then we would have won despite the pick six.

And the problem with this second method is that if you are going to assign ONE PLAY AS THE LOSING PLAY, you better make sure that the losing team had no other opportunities to win it AFTER THAT SO CALLED LOSING PLAY.

That was not the case here. We clearly could have won the game if we had kicked that field goal.

So how can you justify saying that that early in the game pick 6 cost the game when we still could have won it on the field goal?

So there is an addendum, a legal word for an addition, to the second rule. The second rule is not really the one play that cost us the game BUT THE LATEST PLAY THAT COST A TEAM TO LOSE A GAME.

Otherwise you can go back over the entire game and go earlier than the criticized play in question and say, "yeah but if this hadn't happened first, then......" and you never can end that argument.

So, DolfanKing, the pick six CAN'T BE THE REASON FOR THE LOSS because we still could have won the game BUT FOR the failure to kick two field goals and calling timeout when we had blocked what turned out to be the winning field goal.

But you want to talk about the pick 6 because you have this obsession to prove you were right that we should not have drafted Tannehill.

LOL. I think if all the teams in the NFL had the draft to do all over again then Russell Wilson might very well be the first QB picked.

As for RT's performance in that game, I will grade it a C or maybe a C minus. But was it his fault?.

If I were to go by the first method above, I would say coaching...allowing RT too much leeway, bad on the field decisions, not playing Lamar Miller enough, etc. But like I said, the first method is always subject to an argument.

I prefer the second method. The latest mistake that cost us the game was the last missed field goal. The reason for that miss can be blamed on the kicker and the strategy that was not too concerned with getting him closer on the kick and not to make it "a gimme."

Date: September 24, 2012 07:24PM

Date: September 24, 2012 07:26PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
>
> DK is trying to say that RT lost the game under
> either theory. He says that RT's overall play
> lost us the game and he says that in particular
> the pick six lost us the game.
>

That is a big assumption.

Actually, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying the QB performance should be criticized more than the kicker's. The QB has way more to do with the field position than the kicker. Anyone that knows anything about the game know that 47 yards is far from an automatic FG.

Now if you are asking me why I think we lost the game, my answer is Reggie Bush's injury. Bush is the only stellar position play. Without him, the team struggles to make plays.

But you didn't bother to ask, you just assumed. I can see why that would cause you to go half cocked on a 200 word diatribe.

Date: September 24, 2012 09:02PM

There you go with the number 1 theory above. We lost because Bush was injured.

Of course are we all imagining your ranting about RT's pick 6. You even say in this very thread that "Did I imagine that."

Now because the heat is on because of you being called out on being medical about RT, you come up with Reggie's injury.

Well, what did that have to do with a missed field goal that could have won the game anyway??????????????

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: September 25, 2012 09:40AM

DolfanKing Wrote:
> GBOFinFan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Rt moved the offense as far as the coaching
> staff
> > allowed in his two last drives. One netted a fg
> to
> > tie and one gave us a chance to win. Kicker
> missed
> > the one to win. How you putting that on qb play?
>
> >
>
> With the ball on the 35, there were a couple WRs
> open underneath, but RT kept throwing deep.
>
> How do you put that on the coaching staff?

Sure, the QB is in control once that ball is snapped, but maybe the deep passes are what the coaches wanted him to do?

Was anyone, here on this board, in the conference that Tanney and the coaches had to let us know what really happened?

Date: September 25, 2012 09:55AM

And I think, Cap, that the coaches were in control ..... or should have been in control.....even after the ball was snapped.

Thee was no way that passing should have been allowed until we were at the 20 yard line and the field goal was a gimme.

Date: September 25, 2012 11:32AM

Date: September 25, 2012 11:51AM

LOL

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: September 25, 2012 12:04PM

BS about carpenter being done. He is damn good!

Okay so he missed one. Sucks it happened, but Far from being done.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.