Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ireland On The Hot Seat.Should make everyones day.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Ireland On The Hot Seat.Should make everyones day.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 10, 2012 08:55AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ireland Officially On The Hot Seat..Should make almost everyone day.
Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: September 10, 2012 09:12AM

great news!!

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: September 10, 2012 09:33AM

Like this is "news?"

Unless Ross and Ireland are related or bed partners its obvious Ireland is being "evaluated" and will be held accountable for the product (as it pertains to his role).

But I don't see this as any kind of legit revelation based on the recent history around this franchise and its issues.

I can only support a move in this case where its CLEAR we're getting a verifiable upgrade as opposed to just another option. And that means Ross better have a very high quality dude already in the pipeline before he makes any final decisions.

In addition, I get the strong impression Philbin may play a significant role in this process. Specifically, if Philbin is confident Ireland can bring in the talent he needs for his system then I would suspect he'd support Ireland and vote to keep the status quo (because it's way too early to evaluate the collaborative potential between Philbin and Ireland). On the other fin, if Philbin has "concerns" about Ireland you can bet Ross will factor that into the decision in a big way. In addition, I think Ross would pay attention to any recommendations Philbin has regarding a possible replacement candidate.

My .02

Date: September 10, 2012 10:09AM

What are they gonna do, fire him at the beggining of the season? I still Like the Tannehill Pick. he is going to be great for us.

texans were a tough team to play out of the gate. It will get better.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 10, 2012 10:14AM

What scares me, what confidence do you have that Ross has any clue how to pick and hire a good GM... So he calls Carl Peterson to help him... What confidence do you have that Carl Peterson can pick us a good GM? I have very little confidence in the decision making at the top tiers of this organization.. This could get ugly.... I dont think Philbin turns on Ireland, he is his boss and the guy that gave him his first HC job in the NFL... Philbin will remain loyal to Ireland for at least a year or 2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: September 10, 2012 10:27AM

> What are they gonna do, fire him at the beggining of the season? I still Like the Tannehill Pick. he is going to be great for us.

1. Not so crazy. If you are gonna replace the GM, you should do it while the new guy has time to make evaluations and changes.

2. That said ... I do not think he's on the hot seat at all.

- Perhaps he should be, but if Ireland thought he was on the hot seat ... you would see a deal being done nbow to get WRs for the picks he got for marshall, and vonte davis to do something about it while he can.

3. I think Ireland has a pass on thru next draft. Things could change if the onslaught continues, but I'd be surprised iof we don't look better.

- I didn't see the game but it looks like we played well until we gtot behind, and a gainst a pretty decent team. The tips for INTs will get corrected.

- Lack of open receivers is a bigger problem and one that needs attention.

- Oh btw a secondary would be a nice to have also.

Date: September 10, 2012 10:33AM

Phinjim: - Lack of open receivers is a bigger problem and one that needs attention.

Just to be clear on this there were a couple of receivers wide open and tannehill missed them...Im not blind either.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 10, 2012 10:34AM

I just don't see how anyone can look at Ireland and not see disaster.

I've got only one word "Fireland!"

The sooner the better.

Just like you have got to admit the blind squirrel thing when it comes to Pouncey and Jake Long, by the same token, you can't ignore the OVERWHELMING NUMBER OF BLUNDERS.

RT, it has yet to be seen. I hated the pick, loved his play in practice. The two bat downs were kind of disappointing. Let's see whether he has problems that can be fixed or whether they are in his nature.

Like someone else said on the board, we run a quick slant offense because that's all we got.

We got no reliable fast deep receivers.

Which brings us back to Ireland.

Date: September 10, 2012 10:35AM

True, SamSam but were those receivers open while the D line was brushing pass Igcognito and Jerry to bust RT's chops?????????? Another example of Fireland failure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 10:36AM by ChyrenB.

Date: September 10, 2012 10:40AM

Quote: True, SamSam but were those receivers open while the D line was brushing pass Igcognito and Jerry to bust RT's chops?????????? Another example of Fireland failure.

ChrenB you are right about that....Btw chren this thread should be music to your ears.....your bread and butter thread..enjoy

Cheers to a better future smileys with beer

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 10, 2012 11:14AM

Billionaires dont like to lose money..If Ireland doesnt help the business side of the organization become successful, he is gone. The only way for him to do that is for the team to perform on the field.. If that doesnt happen, he is hurting the business, and they will have no choice but to make a change..
Losing money and football games is a bad recipe for job security for any GM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 10, 2012 11:43AM

You can't really say Ireland has done much in the way of finding talent. IMO Tannehil was a Philbin/SHerman call. Ireland probably brought in Garrard.

Date: September 12, 2012 05:45AM

Chren the pic on top its dedicated to you and all who want to see ireland sitting on top of a volcano with gasoline drawers on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2012 05:53AM by samsam3738.

Re: Ireland On The Hot Seat.Should make everyones day.
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 12, 2012 07:00AM

unless all of his crappy players show immense turnaround this year (yeah right), no way should we give Ireland this coming offseaon to "prove" himself. This offseason we have a lot of cap room (supposedly) and a ton of high draft picks. this will be the offseason where we can begin to turn it around, or fall another 5 years further off the nfl cliff. you really want the guy who drove us into the ditch to be the one to get us out? Hell no. And for the question of who to get to replace Ireland, how about, "anybody." Get the #2 in GB, BAL, NE, etc. Someone who has been around and contributed to building winning teams. Not Ireland who has done nothing but pick crappy players for DAL and for us.

Date: September 12, 2012 07:06AM

Berkley i dont know how to reply to your post.

Maybe you are right. Or you are probably right about this.

The reports of him been on the hot seat is a start.

Date: September 12, 2012 08:07AM

Date: September 12, 2012 08:11AM

Yes, berk, we can't give let the guy who drove us into the ditch get the keys to the car.

Date: September 12, 2012 08:16AM

You think we were doing great before Ireland?

Like I said above, check out the history and try to be somewhat objective.

Ireland may not be the best but he's a heck of a lot better than what we had before he got here. I think that's VERY OBVIOUS!

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 12, 2012 08:28AM

One week into the season might be too soon to make this observation, but I think this current coaching staff is already head/shoulders above the last, 3 examples of vastly improved players; Koa Misi, John Jerry and Pat Devlin. Like i've said before, 100% of the blame can't fall on Ireland, the guy's he's been drafting lately are not reaches (for the most part), coaches have to motivate and develop those players.

Date: September 12, 2012 08:42AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You think we were doing great before Ireland?
>
> Like I said above, check out the history and try
> to be somewhat objective.
>
> Ireland may not be the best but he's a heck of a
> lot better than what we had before he got here. I
> think that's VERY OBVIOUS!

Oh really???? Back that up with examples. I saw the two Monday night games and saw people we cut playing well.

That means they were either 1) people that the prior GM hired that Ireland let go or 2) people that Ireland himself hired and let go.

And the footnote is that he brings back Armstrong who promptly drops a pass.

So let's stop with the propaganda that brought Ireland here and give an account player by player how Ireland has been better than the prior Gm.

Date: September 12, 2012 09:00AM

Date: September 12, 2012 09:10AM

Date: September 12, 2012 09:16AM

somehow my edit did not save so I will retype.

BNF, I am not saying fire Ireland now (that would serve no purpose). I am saying give him the season, and if the players he picked for this team (that is ALL of them btw) don't begin show marked improvement, then he must be shown the door and not let anywhere near our haul of cap space and draft picks.

Also, how can you look at the list of draftees you posted and try to use it to defend Ireland? That list is full of mediocre bums, and the only players who are not bums were overdrafted at positions that do not need to be taken with such high picks in today's NFL (Long and Pouncey, no one else even qualifies as "good" on that list).

Date: September 12, 2012 10:03AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Oh silly me. I forgot who I was dealing with...
>
> Here's the point:
>
> Just note the fact that our drafts have been
> trending in the right direction
>
> Miami Dolphin Draft History
>
> However, since you seem to want to talk about
> cast-offs and such, does Reggie Bush doesn't count
> in your parallel universe? I mean we got him for a
> song from another team - and if we had done that
> as opposed to New Orleans Ireland would be
> scoundrel, yes?
>
> ...is it just me, or do things seem to go only in
> one direction with you?

No and I have defended Ireland when people have even criticized Long, Pouncey and even RT. But just because a guy makes a few obvious right moves, it does not exonerate him for the numerous bad moves.

Reggie Bush was a blind squirrel move. Why not? Even an idiot like Ireland couldn't pass on that one.

But name other BIG NAMES, besides BM and CJ that he brought in. And they were head cases.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 12, 2012 10:51AM

Chyren, the fact that some of our cast-offs are playing well for other teams would be on the inability of OUR coaches to develop that talent. We have had a series of first time head coaches that did NOT hit the ground running for us. The fact that the players went on to effective careers with other teams hints that the GM did his job but, the coaches didn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2012 05:52PM by Hooligan2.

Date: September 12, 2012 11:00AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> Chyren, the fact that some of our cast-offs are
> playing well for other teams would be on the
> inability of OUR coaches to develop that talent.
> We have had a series of first time head coaches
> that did NOT hit the ground running for us. The
> fact that the players went on to effective careers
> with other teams hints that Ireland did his job
> but, the coaches didn't.

Precisely. Which is why I posted the draft history. Ireland has had VERY FEW busts, even dudes like Dotson and Donald Thomas are still in the league. And if you take the time really examine the trend I'd say our drafts are getting consistently better. There are certainly better than 2007 - 2000.

Date: September 12, 2012 11:03AM

which of our castoffs are playing well for other teams, exactly? maybe rob ninkovich (is he still playing)? anyway I don't think he was even an Ireland guy, I recall him playing on the CamMoron team.

you guys trying to defend Ireland will latch on to any scrap to try to make your point.

Date: September 12, 2012 12:26PM

Let's keep things real and the debate framed within a legit envelope.

You say Ireland sucks and needs to go. One of the ways drafts are evaluated is by how many of the players taken are still in the league. In other words, did Ireland select NFL caliber players that actually stick in the league with one team or another. That's a very standard measure and it does NOT reflect anyone is reaching or otherwise blowing smoke like those who just say "Fireland" and yet refuse to acknowledge any of his obvious strengths (or lack of suckiness if you prefer).

Date: September 12, 2012 01:13PM

BNF, you are ducking the question. It's pretty evident that the players Ireland drafted for our team by and large suck (I will give you the overdrafted Long and Pouncy, but who else is even better-than-average; few are even average)?

You're saying to look past that and point to some (nameless) players Ireland drafted "who still are in the league" on other teams as evidence that Ireland really isn't that bad. So please name some of those bc I can't think of any, beyond horrible players like Pat Turner (wasn't he just cut though?), and maybe some other bottom feeders.

Who?

Date: September 12, 2012 02:24PM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> Chyren, the fact that some of our cast-offs are
> playing well for other teams would be on the
> inability of OUR coaches to develop that talent.

There's two ways of looking at that. You can blame the coaches as you do OR you can blame the GM for getting rid of them regardless of the reason because the bottom line in any cut or trade is that you don't think their good enough.

You choose to exonerate (not blame) Ireland and blame the coaches. We really don't know why they were cut.

And keep in mind I never said that the people that were cut were NOT playing well FOR US!!!! You did and when you did, you just made that assumption. Let's talk who they were and we can get down to cases.

All I know is that they are playing well on other teams and we let them go and with the exception of running back, lb, and DL, and the kicking game, our team sucks at ol, wr.

> We have had a series of first time head coaches
> that did NOT hit the ground running for us. The
> fact that the players went on to effective careers
> with other teams hints that Ireland did his job
> but, the coaches didn't.

Again an assumption. It may be right or wrong but it's an assumption.

What WE DO KNOW IS THAT its Ireland's job to say to the coaches "Hey, don't cut that guy. I know talent and he is okay."

As someone else pointed out in this or another thread, Ireland is Philbin's boss, it's not the other way around. That goes for Sparano and all the other coaches too!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.