HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ireland is a natural born
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Ireland is a natural born
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 28, 2012 09:11PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ireland is a natural born
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: August 28, 2012 09:29PM

WHAT?

You want Ireland to pussy foot around when he is delivering this kind of news?

These are grown men. Give it to them straight. Maybe it hurts a little now but maybe Vontae will realize that he needs to get his act together and start performing better, thus benefiting him long term.

If I was getting fired or transferred or whatever, I wouldn't want my boss to feed me a line because bottom line: They no longer want me and I would be pissed off if they acted like they made the decision with my better interests in mind. I wouldn't care if it was a tough decision, just give me the news and why and cut the bullshit out of it.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 29, 2012 03:03AM

Complete nonsense....Any little thing to pick on Jeff.

That's a great message to give to players on national tv btw.... Hey we couldn't take the pressure from Indy any more so we traded you.

He is not helping the kid by sugar coating it. Maybe now VD understands that teams are not going to continually baby sit him just because he can run a 4.4. He obviously needed to hear it even thought I doubt it sunk in since all he could think about was calling gramma.

Ireland handled it well and was not rude in any way.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 29, 2012 07:51AM

Some of you guys have LESS BRAINS THAN IRELAND.

IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU PROVING HOW MACHO YOU ARE.

So you make enemies when you really don't have to?

For WHAT FRIGGIN POINT?????

YOU ARE NOT CUTTING HIM!!!!!

Get that through your THICK HEAD!!!

YOU ARE TRADING HIM!!!

You are going to have to play against him some day!

Why do you NEED TO TELL HIM how bad you think he is.

I think you guys saying that are the guys who spend your time on chatboards really hating these professional players being envious of them thinking that if you had the chance to make money you would be humble.

Yeah, there are out and out a holes like Brandon Marshall out there. And then there are silly guys like Chad Johnson who can't control their emotions but who are not really that bad.

But to put Vontae Davis in that category shows that you really don't like athletes at all.

You probably down talk Venus and Serena Williams as well.

Stop watching football and go watch the old men playing chess in the parks.

Geez!!!!

Date: August 29, 2012 07:58AM

And, you Einsteins, the reason he mentioned calling his Grandma was for the reason that Ireland mentioned shortly afterwards, you want to alert the family before they hear it on the news.

It's kinda like releasing the news on the media that a person has been killed before his family is alerted.

You don't want those "I was watching TV when I heard....Is it true?"

Boy, any reason to jump on the guy!!!!

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 29, 2012 08:06AM

Anybody seen Moneyball... Do you rememebr the GM's message to his assistant on cutting, trading players?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 29, 2012 08:48AM

Date: August 29, 2012 09:31AM

Yeah, Crowder, but my point is that a trade and a cut are two different things.

There's no way to explain a cut but that you're getting rid of him because you don't think he's good enough.

With a trade, you can always emphasize the positive, that he is a valuable commodity that someone else wants.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 29, 2012 09:33AM

these are all big boys who make a ton of money to play a professional sport. I wouldn't lose any sleep over whether the GM was sufficiently "nice" in the exit interview

Date: August 29, 2012 10:01AM

Chyren, at least in the movie, his philosophy on handling players in trades and cuts are the same. Basicly no need to explain yourself, just facts, no fluff.
Peter Brand- Carlos, you been traded to the tigers, this is the number of jay Palmer their travel secretary. He is expecting your call
Pena- is that all
Peter Brand- yeah
Pena- cool

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 29, 2012 10:04AM

Crowder, had he just said that, I would not have made the post.

This idiot talked to him like he talked to the guys he was cutting. "I like you but you're not good enough."

Please just somebody explain the tactical advantage of doing that.

It was a business proposition and it should have been explained that way.

Jesus, it's like I'm in China and trying to communicate with you guys (except Crowder) and I can't speak Chinese.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2012 10:09AM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 29, 2012 10:10AM

Quote: This idiot talked to him like he talked to the guys he was cutting. "I like you but you're not good enough."

But chren if you trade a player....he is not good enough anyways......Arent you trying to upgrade either through the draft or another player?

The question is does he tell that to ocho cinco or a bigger thug?

ocho cinco might come out slicing with a sharp object.

Posted by: SoCalDolfan ()
Date: August 29, 2012 10:17AM

I'm not quite sure Ireland was fully qualified to take over as GM when he did. It seems that he inherited the position by default. His experience has always been in scouting and finding talent, which I would never doubt his ability to do so, but being a GM also requires being able to communicate and helping to instill a winning culture.

He went from being a scout (and a very fine one) to being a General Manager. I think it would've helped if there was some stability in the organization, primarily at the GM position, where he could've maybe started as a VP of operations or something that was more administrative. I think that would've prepared him better in understanding the entire picture, communicating and solving problems with players, and especially handling transactions and trying to build a franchise with trades and prospects.

I personally questioned the Bill Parcell's move. I don't doubt Bill's ability to coach, but I did doubt his ability to commit to an organization for the long haul. Like Larry Brown, these guys are great teachers and mentors, but you also need stability and that comes with commitment and Parcells had a track record of failing to commit to a team for a long period of time.

If the Miami Dolphins want to turn this organization around, it's going to take more than one year, two years, or even 3 years. It really starts at the top. I think the organization right now is just all over the place. It seems like a big media circus full of high-profile stars in order to keep fans. But what the ownership needs to understand is in order to be a champion, they need to have a personal interest in the team and show that dedication.

They really need to bring in a GM with experience.

They need to bring in a GM with good experience managing, maybe an ex-coach who has a good scouting background that has worked in successful programs. They need someone who has a proven track record of being able to manage, scout and find talent, and also make trades and communicate with other GM's and professional talent in a way that will sway them to work with the Dolphins.

Jeff Ireland has virtually little managing experience except as being a lead scout. You put someone who hasn't had the chance to understand how to work with other teams and their managements or has no experience in how player personnel issues should be resolved in a positive and productive way into a position where now, he has to work with teams, figure out how to bring vets to a struggling franchise, and how to handle personnel matters.

I cannot blame Jeff for where this program is heading, up or down. I have to really question ownership because without stable ownership that has a personal interested outside of money and publicity, interest that really wants to change an organization, interest in a team that they love to watch not only just when they win but when they lose, interest that drives them to insanity when they lose.

It will start with ownership. Someone in ownership needs to step up to the challenge of taking over with a plan in mind. So far, none of the ownership has done that so far, which is why we have a management by default instead of a management by choice.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 29, 2012 10:19AM

Dude you need to take a powder Ireland is really supposed to say what you want to hear.

How much thought r u gonna put into an exit speach for a guy who will not be there on the next day.

Date: August 29, 2012 10:22AM

Chyren- I agree with you, in that I dont think there was any needed for Ireland to tell him why things didnt work out for him in Miami... It didnt help or make Vontae feel any better about the situation... He would have rather ended, when he said I need to call my grandma... Vontae didnt feel a need to talk any of the business Ireland wanted to talk about with him... Vontae tried to end it right after he was told he was traded by calling his grandma.. I feel bad that coaches and GM get to set the whole thing up, and the poor 25 old kid, gets ambushed on camera for all to see and documented for ever... Hard Knocks is rough on the players and set up for the management.... just on the process alone...

Nietzsche

Date: August 29, 2012 10:41AM

Date: August 29, 2012 10:48AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dude you need to take a powder Ireland is really
> supposed to say what you want to hear.
>
> How much thought r u gonna put into an exit speach
> for a guy who will not be there on the next day.

Depends on UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES HE IS EXITING, Mizzou.

Apparently you didn't watch the HARD KNOCKS episode. He spent SEVENTEEN YEARS explaining to Vontae how he just wasn't good enough.

Let me turn your own argument against you, Mizzou. Why do you spend that amount of time explaining to a guy you traded why he's not good enough for YOUR team?

Just to piss him off. Just to have him play his very best against YOUR team the next time to PROVE you were wrong??????????

I really and earnestly want you to answer.

It's not just about, the guy's going so who cares what you say to him.

It's about using your head for something other than as a hat rack.

Go back and read what SoCalDolFan posted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2012 10:49AM by ChyrenB.

Date: August 29, 2012 10:50AM

The number of posts I've gotten stating "Who cares" shows me that you guys would be very poor at running businesses.

Date: August 29, 2012 10:53AM

QUote: Just to piss him off. Just to have him play his very best against YOUR team the next time to PROVE you were wrong??????????

If he thinks vontae is really not good enough then i dont think we have anything to worry about.

That it wasnt the proffesional way to do it....I agree.

Date: August 29, 2012 10:59AM

Plus how many ints did vontae had for this team?

How many great plays?

How many taken to the house...Not many right?

Date: August 29, 2012 11:05AM

Not arguing it was not a good move, SamSam. It's all about the way he did it. Like some posters on this board, he went out of his way to antagonize and belittle the guy.

Date: August 29, 2012 11:12AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Not arguing it was not a good move, SamSam. It's
> all about the way he did it. Like some posters on
> this board, he went out of his way to antagonize
> and belittle the guy.

Ok so i guess you agree it was not a proffesional way to do it then!

Date: August 29, 2012 11:15AM

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 29, 2012 11:25AM

I don't have the time to read what everyone else wrote so sorry if I repeat something another said.

I didn't interpret what Ireland said as they were cutting him because they were completely unhappy with his performance. I felt that Ireland cared enough about the kid to let him know there were things that, if he wished to be more successful in Indy, he needed to do there. By letting him know his weaknesses, Vontae can now reflect on that and get off to an even better start there by changing some of his ways. By bullshitting him, he very likely would think he could continue his ways and ultimately would never reach his potential. The issue is not how Ireland handled it, but the question is how will Vontae respond?

I might add that calling his grandma and brother in Ireland's office would have been a rude and unprofessional thing to do. A mature and wise man would finish his business and walk out of the room before calling. That incident reflected poorly on Davis and makes you wonder if he handles things as poorly in the meeting rooms and during instruction on the field.

Bob, as a lawyer, would you want to sit there and listen to your client talk with family? Perhaps if he was on the clock you would, but not if you were salaried and had other business to tend to.

Date: August 29, 2012 11:36AM

Date: August 29, 2012 11:43AM

Well, Jonathan, to answer your point. If my client were a criminal defendant who had maintained his innocence in a highly publicized case, and I had convinced him to take a plea, and we were going to go into court with all the reporters hanging around and announce the plea,

............Yep, I would let him first call his family and explain so that they would not hear it from the media.

And remember also, even Ireland said, "Hey, you've got to catch a plane tonight." There was urgency here!

That makes my analogy of having to immediately go into a courtroom full of reporters and enter a plea more like the urgency that Vontae felt.

I don't know why posters on this board are picking on that.

Date: August 29, 2012 11:55AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Plus how many ints did vontae had for this team?
>
> How many great plays?
>
> How many taken to the house...Not many right?

Vontae had 9 interceptions in 3 seasons. 3 times as many as Sean Smith... and the most of any player on our team by far during that time span...

Nietzsche

Date: August 29, 2012 11:59AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Plus how many ints did vontae had for this
> team?
> >
> > How many great plays?
> >
> > How many taken to the house...Not many right?
>
>
> Vontae had 9 interceptions in 3 seasons. 3 times
> as many as Sean Smith... and the most of any
> player on our team by far during that time span...

Ok but he had no plays that turned games around. He was not an impact player for this team. He was a first round pick that did not live up to expectations.

And an average of 3 INts a season is nothing to cheer about. He did nothing for this team.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 29, 2012 12:01PM

I find it hard to believe some around here would take issue with Vontae calling his grandma just before he pissed his panties due to an obvious overactive bladder that “Mr. Nasty” call me Philbin and I’ll punch you in the kidney teased poor li’l Vontae (and what kind of gay ass name is that anyway?) about having to go poddy 2 or 3 weewee times during practice!

Talk about being “pissed off!” I mean WHO wouldn’t want a certified adolescent buffoon idiot dumber than a box of rocks but quite athletic playing corner and Reader Rabbit too boot!

Sign me up!

BNF.

Date: August 29, 2012 12:05PM

When you lead the team in interceptions you are doing better at it then every other player on the defense since you were a part of the team. An interceptions is an impact play, and last time I checked, Vontae had the same amount of interceptions as Revis did last year......
If Vontae is a dissappointment with 9 interceptions and a first rd pick, how big of a dissappointment is Sean Smith selected in the 2nd rd with only 3 interceptions, yet he was valued by the GM more then Vontae..

Nietzsche

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.