HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Hard Knocks ...good for fans...bad for Team
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Hard Knocks ...good for fans...bad for Team
Posted by: realist ()
Date: August 15, 2012 12:24PM

I can't help but feel like this hard Knocks thing is going to create division on this team. Coaches cant truly be themselves, and they must react publicly to things they want to keep private.

I am not sticking up for Chad Johnson...you can never hit a woman...but I wonder to what extent his boiling over was the result of being publicly chastised by his coach, who had no choice but to publicly deal with him. Would Philbin handled him that way if Chad's media thing was only for the local media?

The coaches are not the ones being embarrassed on tv...its the players. Every guy who is dissected by position coaches on tv, at least the ones having a bad practice...are being emasculated in front of their friends and family. this is not good for a team trying to build chemistry.

And while it might be good for ratings.....I wonder if it will sell more tickets?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hard Knocks ...good for fans...bad for Team
Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 15, 2012 12:45PM

Maybe, but I think the good will outweigh the bad in the long run.

The team needed an image upgrade, and getting to know the coaches, players etc helps that.

The Chad thing will pass, and ultimately, despite other comeents to the contrary, I think the coaches will earn respect from players and fans for acting decisively in not letting the distractions of Chad hang around ... they are moving on.

As to the other guys not performing ... I'm of the opinion that maybe they need a fire under them ... if they get called out and caught on camera, shame on them.

I don't miss you point regarding Chad ... as he was / is and always will be a media hound, and that is part of his problem. Yes he may not have imploded if he wasn't called out ... but damn ... why all the F-bombs ... move on Fins it will be okay!

Date: August 15, 2012 01:02PM

I agree that in the long run the coaches decisions will outweigh the impact of the publicity.

But football is an emotional sport, and professional athletes, while being professional with their bodies, and skills, sometimes lack the emotional discipline it takes to handle a new situation. They are used to playing in front of the crowd...but...usually the wrist slapping, and fire lighting is done away from the fans.

I am happy to be able to watch and get to know my team on a new level...but as a player? No thanks...and the coaches have to be careful that they don't create an 'us & them' by publicly sharing negative comments during the taped coaches meetings

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 15, 2012 01:45PM

I agree Realist that it is undeniable that the dynamics of him being warned about his behavior publicly on hard knocks, albeit only foul language it was still and 'image of the team' warning, put Philbin in a position where he had to back up his words with actions.

But I wonder (and we'll never know because history can never be rewritten) whether had that not occurred and had Chad been arrested for beating up his wife, given the fact that Brandon Marshall beating his wife was JUST LAST YEAR, that fact might have also politically forced Philbin to cut him and the only difference would have been in the tune sung. Then people would have been saying "Well, he had to get rid of Chad since they let Marshall go who did the same thing and then dissed his teammate on national tv."

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: August 15, 2012 02:46PM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>...but I wonder to what extent
> his boiling over was the result of being publicly
> chastised by his coach...

I think that incident had everything to do with his new wife finding a box of condems. She busted CJ for being unfaithful...so he busted her head.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 15, 2012 06:40PM

Come on now. Hard Knocks and the coach's talk with Chad had nothing to do with his turmoil with his wife. It wasn't a straw breaking the camel's back. He isn't a bright guy and he chose to marry, by all accounts, a psycho wife. He is child-like and his antics cost him his last chance and much more. The door swings both ways and this time it hit him on the ass on the way out.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: August 16, 2012 09:09AM

This is another case of the ownership caring more about publicity than about winning.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 16, 2012 11:24AM

I think they should stop televising their games so the players don't get embarrased from bad play as welldrinking smiley.........give me a fricken break people, these guys are highly paid athletes in an entertainment based sport, if they can't handle the lights, maybe they can go flip burgers or something.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 16, 2012 11:29AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think they should stop televising their games so
> the players don't get embarrased from bad play as
> welldrinking smiley.........give me a fricken break people,
> these guys are highly paid athletes in an
> entertainment based sport, if they can't handle
> the lights, maybe they can go flip burgers or
> something.

You Hit the nail on the head on this one. Agreed.

Date: August 16, 2012 05:34PM

That was the catalyst for sure....but pot under pressure boils faster than one without a lid.

CJ was one example...I doubt Wallace enjoyed the ankle-weight thing being nationally televised.

But my main point is that Philbin had to play it differently because of the cameras...the coaches come away unscathed...that could divide the team. that whole us & them thing. Hard Knocks just adds more pressure.

Date: August 16, 2012 05:44PM

There is a difference between being paid to play football and standing in front of the media here and there with radio and news guys ripping on them, and having your coaches 'rip on you' on tv for everyone t see.

I doubt the players signed contracts thinking it included this....and I wouldn't be surprised if the next CBA deals with the whole Hard Knocks thing.

It is no wonder teams are saying no thanks.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 16, 2012 06:23PM

Golly gee guys let’s not forget the NFL is in the entertainment BIZ.

Show me the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: August 17, 2012 01:27AM

I definitely agree that having the cameras there adds more pressure. However, pressure can be a good thing during training camp.

Wallace caught a 40 yard TD and said something like..."How do like those ankle weights now?"

For CJ, I believe that the added pressure just helped us to make the inevitable decision to part ways quicker. And in the long run, If a guy like Hogan can make the team...we will be better off. The goal for the receivers as expressed by the coach is to consistantly get open and consistantly catch the ball.

I wouldn't want the spotlight in our locker room every year like this...but, I believe that the added pressure can also have a good effect of accellerating growth.

I am more concerned about losing good young players if we try to sneek them on the practice squad.

Date: August 17, 2012 12:16PM

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: August 17, 2012 06:09PM

I don't think Chad got cut over this.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Date: August 17, 2012 06:51PM

I wasn't saying that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.