HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins Cut Chad Johnson
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Dolphins Cut Chad Johnson
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 13, 2012 01:36PM

I did answer the question. I said that Chad still was the lesser of two evils.

And the Chicago hiring of Bowel Movement was expressly stated in the press that by bringing him together with his old QB Jay Cutler, they felt they could re-ignite the chemistry they had at.... was it Denver?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: August 13, 2012 02:03PM

I agree with Hokie Fin. You guys are coming down real hard on BM and 85. Chad dropped one 3rd down pass in a preseason game yet many of you refer to him as "dropping key passes", as if its a season long trend. That is as much BS as anything I have seen Chad say.

I'm not saying I disagree with the moves to trade BM and cut 85, I support those decisions. Although, BM obviously has talent. Some of you choose to block out the highlights of his time here in favor of focusing on things he did poorly. He dropped passes sure, but he also had over a 1000 receiving yards in each season, which is no small feat considering our HC and QB play for the majority of that time. I was in favor of trading him because of the poor fit with our new WCO and his off the field behavior seems like a ticking time bomb, even though he may have turned a corner there. But he has value as a player even if your blind hatred doesn't allow you to recognize it. It's like you pile all the disappointment of the last few years on BM because he dropped 5 TD passes last year, which is not really fair.

I do agree that Dansby was out of line with his comments. If you are concerned about Chad getting cut or just concerned with how he was cut then you should talk to the coach or GM behind closed doors. He needs to understand that Chad had no margin for error and then he made the biggest mistake of his professional career. It is unfortunate that the only time he has a run in with the law (professionally) was when he had no leeway but thats life for a 35 year old WR on a non guaranteed contract.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: August 13, 2012 07:25PM

Good thing Chad changed his name, because for his next career "Ocho's Chinco" would have been a bad movie title.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: August 13, 2012 07:27PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Having a decent run and being a "highly respected
> organization" are two totally different things,
> ever hear of Curtis Enis, Cade McNown, Cedric
> Benson and Rex Grossman just name a few?

It is possible to have a "highly respected organization" and a decent run. Has anyone ever heard of the Miami Dolphins - Circa 70's and 80's?

I like that we are making a move towards character. Character is a building block of winning.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 14, 2012 05:26AM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 14, 2012 07:57AM

Johnson was dropping 3rd down passes in practice and then in the preseason practice game. Add those facts to his embarrassing “press conference”, his twitter profile pic (2 middle fingers up AFTER Philbin told him to cut the clown crap) and throw in a wife headbutt plus getting arrested… That’s more than 3 strikes for a player who was given the chance to resurrect his career. Bottom line, cutting Chad loose was the ONLY thing to do. Keeping him around would only add fire to the clown circus. And that’s where Johnson should seek employment – as a clown.

Furthermore, Dansby was seriously OUT OF LINE with his comments undermining Philbin’s decision and should be put on notice he can traded or whatever other means necessary to solve his “issue.” I’m seriously tired of assholes like Dansby and Vontae Davis. You don’t win with asses like that on your team – regardless of how good they are athletically.

It’s time to move on and get rid of the trash. Players who undermine the team need to be moved out to create room for guys who are true pros and deserve the opportunity to play in the NFL as opposed to a circus act or media sideshow.

No more jackasses, no more head cases, no more underachievers. Fill the roster with players dedicated to being professionals and members of the TEAM. Bite the bullet and do it now. Remake the roster in the image of a professional TEAM.

BNF.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 14, 2012 08:36AM

IMO,If Chad had caught a 50 yard TD pass in the first preseason game, he would still be on the team... The reality is, it wasnt a moral decision that Philbin made, it was a decision based on the positives vs the negatives, and the negatives outweighed the positives... ALso, I know Philbin took the heat for making the call, but in all reality, personnel moves are up to Ireland and not philbin alone, philbin doesnt have final say on personnel Ireland does... Considering the behavior from players Ireland has put up with in the past, I can understand why Dansby was upset and some people surprised, Ireland has not shown consistency on matters like these during his tenure here in Miami... I think cutting him has become a distraction for the team, whether Philbin wants to accept that reality or not is another things... I dont think Philbin strengthened his relationship with the team by doing this, I think it created alot of questions from the players about their coach, and their own security, as well as the teams fairness on discipline issues...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2012 08:37AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: August 14, 2012 08:53AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> IMO,If Chad had caught a 50 yard TD pass in the
> first preseason game, he would still be on the
> team... The reality is, it wasnt a moral decision
> that Philbin made, it was a decision based on the
> positives vs the negatives, and the negatives
> outweighed the positives... ALso, I know Philbin
> took the heat for making the call, but in all
> reality, personnel moves are up to Ireland and not
> philbin alone, philbin doesnt have final say on
> personnel Ireland does... Considering the behavior
> from players Ireland has put up with in the past,
> I can understand why Dansby was upset and some
> people surprised, Ireland has not shown
> consistency on matters like these during his
> tenure here in Miami...

Ireland has shown himself to be a GM who doesn't force things on his HC. He lets them pick their staff, as he should. He listens to what they want to do with the roster to best make their system work.

According to reports he brought in Columbo because Sporano wanted him.

He drafted Egnew over Miller in round 3 because Philbin wanted him.

I have no doubt that Philbin will get to keep the players he thinks he needs to win. Even if he has to convince Ireland on one or two.

There is no question that Johnson getting cut was a Philbin decision. If Joe still wanted him or believed he was going to produce at a level that would justify the circus he brings with him, he would still be here.

> I think cutting him has
> become a distraction for the team, whether Philbin
> wants to accept that reality or not is another
> things...

Short term...it sure has. In another week it will be ancient history.

The only way it even comes up again is if our WR's totally stink AND Chad is lighting it up with another team.

Since he's not likely to get a job until his legal situation is cleared up its not likely to be much of an issue/story beyond this week.

> I dont think Philbin strengthened his
> relationship with the team by doing this, I think
> it created alot of questions from the players
> about their coach, and their own security, as well
> as the teams fairness on discipline issues...

Anytime you cut a likable veteran who still has some ability it is going to rankle a few vets.

But for every guy like Dansby who is upset by the move there's untold number of guys who will back the decision and the point of view that "we don't need no clowns here" as one player tweeted a writer today.

Guys that let this continue to be an issue for them won't be here very long. It will be interesting to see how many of those guys are on the roster today.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 14, 2012 09:07AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Johnson was dropping 3rd down passes in practice
> and then in the preseason practice game. Add those
> facts to his embarrassing “press conference”,
> his twitter profile pic (2 middle fingers up AFTER
> Philbin told him to cut the clown crap) and throw
> in a wife headbutt plus getting arrested…
> That’s more than 3 strikes for a player who was
> given the chance to resurrect his career. Bottom
> line, cutting Chad loose was the ONLY thing to do.
> Keeping him around would only add fire to the
> clown circus. And that’s where Johnson should
> seek employment – as a clown.
>
> Furthermore, Dansby was seriously OUT OF LINE with
> his comments undermining Philbin’s decision and
> should be put on notice he can traded or whatever
> other means necessary to solve his “issue.”
> I’m seriously tired of assholes like Dansby and
> Vontae Davis. You don’t win with asses like that
> on your team – regardless of how good they are
> athletically.
>
> It’s time to move on and get rid of the trash.
> Players who undermine the team need to be moved
> out to create room for guys who are true pros and
> deserve the opportunity to play in the NFL as
> opposed to a circus act or media sideshow.
>
> No more jackasses, no more head cases, no more
> underachievers. Fill the roster with players
> dedicated to being professionals and members of
> the TEAM. Bite the bullet and do it now. Remake
> the roster in the image of a professional TEAM.
>
> BNF.

totally agree

Date: August 14, 2012 09:10AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> BigNastyFish Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Johnson was dropping 3rd down passes in
> practice
> > and then in the preseason practice game. Add
> those
> > facts to his embarrassing “press
> conference”,
> > his twitter profile pic (2 middle fingers up
> AFTER
> > Philbin told him to cut the clown crap) and
> throw
> > in a wife headbutt plus getting arrested…
> > That’s more than 3 strikes for a player who
> was
> > given the chance to resurrect his career.
> Bottom
> > line, cutting Chad loose was the ONLY thing to
> do.
> > Keeping him around would only add fire to the
> > clown circus. And that’s where Johnson should
> > seek employment – as a clown.
> >
> > Furthermore, Dansby was seriously OUT OF LINE
> with
> > his comments undermining Philbin’s decision
> and
> > should be put on notice he can traded or
> whatever
> > other means necessary to solve his “issue.”
> > I’m seriously tired of assholes like Dansby
> and
> > Vontae Davis. You don’t win with asses like
> that
> > on your team – regardless of how good they
> are
> > athletically.
> >
> > It’s time to move on and get rid of the
> trash.
> > Players who undermine the team need to be moved
> > out to create room for guys who are true pros
> and
> > deserve the opportunity to play in the NFL as
> > opposed to a circus act or media sideshow.
> >
> > No more jackasses, no more head cases, no more
> > underachievers. Fill the roster with players
> > dedicated to being professionals and members of
> > the TEAM. Bite the bullet and do it now. Remake
> > the roster in the image of a professional TEAM.
> >
> > BNF.
>
> totally agree

+1 thumbs up

Date: August 14, 2012 09:23AM

come on Truth, I know Ireland is a god that just has had bad people around him that force him to do things he doesnt want.... Can you please show me a something of substance that shows Columbo was on Sparano not Ireland... Or this just another, according to reports, I heard, the rumor is statements that you Ireland defenders love to pull out of your ass..lol

It is a bit ridiculous how much you guys love to deflect any accountability to the GM..come on now

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 14, 2012 09:28AM

SO was it Philbin or Irleand who decided to bring in Ocho? lol... So Ireland hired him a Philbin fired him? That isnt how it works, in case you dont realize that?

Nietzsche

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 14, 2012 09:49AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> IMO,If Chad had caught a 50 yard TD pass in the
> first preseason game, he would still be on the
> team...

Maybe.

If he didn't (reportedly) have a lot of drops in practice, he may still be on the team.

Also, if he didn't barge in on a coaches meeting like a complete fool, maybe he'd still be on the team.

And if he didn't conduct a press conference where every other word out of his mouth was the F-word, maybe he'd still be on the team.

And if he didn't tweet a picture of himself flipping the bird (I've only heard secondhand about this one), maybe he'd still be on the team.

When you combine his lack of production in camp with his being a general PITA, the decision to cut him after being arrested for putting a gash in his wife's head is a lot easier decision to make.

>... I think cutting him has
> become a distraction for the team, whether Philbin
> wants to accept that reality or not is another
> things...

Oh I'm sure he's accepted the reality. It is a distraction all right, but it's Philbin's job to move the team forward, making it a TEMPORARY distraction. Keeping him on the roster after all of his antics and lack of production, would have been a PERMANENT distraction.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 14, 2012 10:02AM

and when your number 1 WR only get's targeted ONE time that should tell you something. He was not running the routes right and getting open.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 14, 2012 10:03AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 14, 2012 10:05AM

I agree cutting him is a distraction....But on the same note i believe keeping him on the team would had been an even bigger distraction.

Date: August 14, 2012 10:18AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> come on Truth, I know Ireland is a god that just
> has had bad people around him that force him to do
> things he doesnt want

eye rolling smiley

>.... Can you please show me a
> something of substance that shows Columbo was on
> Sparano not Ireland... Or this just another,
> according to reports, I heard, the rumor is
> statements that you Ireland defenders love to pull
> out of your ass..lol

So your contention is that Ireland brought in Colombo without first getting his position coach from Dallas to give the move a thumbs up or thumbs down?

Boy, you really have it in for Ireland, don't you?

>
> It is a bit ridiculous how much you guys love to
> deflect any accountability to the GM..come on now

What's ridiculous is how you distort what other people are saying.

Nobody is suggesting that Ireland doesn't bare the ultimate responsibility for all personnel moves. Every GM who makes the final decisions on players is responsible for those decisions.

What they, and I, am trying to get across to you is that GM's make their final decisions based on input from their HC and scouts.

Was Ireland wrong on Colombo...hell yes. But he never would have been here is Sporano didn't wan't him.

Date: August 14, 2012 11:40AM

It’s utterly ridiculous to think there’s NOT a collaborative dynamic between Ireland and Philbin, or in the past with Baby T (albeit “pizza pizza”).

Rodeo clown Johnson was a moldy worm inside an acorn (eggcorn?) Ireland found under a rock buried under 2 feet of horse shit. We smelled the acorn for a few weeks and decided we didn’t like the stink. In fact, I heard Philbin say, “that *%#&ing (expletive deleted) smells like it was buried under 2 feet of horse shit!” Ireland agreed and that was that.

But yo. And read me on Twitter whatever…Ireland and Philbin both decided to smell the stink and… once you bring the stink in the room it’s the HC who decides if the stink is worth the smell or…

NOT!

Hence. The nose knows.

BNF.

Date: August 14, 2012 12:08PM

I think a GM throws about one bone a draft to his HC, besides that he decides the draft and personnel. This year Philbin let it be known Egnew was that guy he wanted...
When Braylon Edwards was interviewed for a position on the roster did you see the coach in the room? Or did you see Ireland doing the interview by himself with Braylon.
As Philbin pointed out when discussing Chad being cut, we all have boss's, I dont agree with everything my boss does, but he is the boss...(Paraphrased)
Guess who hired Philbin and is his boss? Ireland... The coach is and employee of the GM...

Nietzsche

Date: August 14, 2012 12:23PM

I think you’re wrong Crowder (and maybe a different handle is in order?).

Ireland and Philbin 100% collaborate before and during the draft. Point of fact;

Ireland’s job is to find players that fit Philbin’s spec (i.e., zone blocking, west coast O, 4-3 hybrid etc.) and not just “whatever player” Ireland thinks is sexy.

Ireland has the “final vote” when there’s a few possibilities that FIT SPEC (based on Philbin’s criteria) but he does NOT just run around like a yard bird drafting “whoever” he thinks is the next bad ass…

Same holds true for FA and trades and whatever. Ireland’s FULL TIME JOB is to find “opportunities” that fit spec. And you can bet the house he’s NOT going to bring someone into the mix that Philbin says “NO WAY!”

Bottom line dude. It’s a collaborative effort. If Philbin fails Ireland fails. If Ireland succeeds Philbin succeeds. It’s that simple. And totally interrelated.

The problem with Baby T (among many others) is that he didn’t know what he really wanted and had less of a clue as to what would be successful in today’s NFL. I think Philbin is vastly superior on both those fronts.

BNF.

Date: August 14, 2012 02:59PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I think a GM throws about one bone a draft to his
> HC, besides that he decides the draft and
> personnel. This year Philbin let it be known Egnew
> was that guy he wanted...

Just one...hmmm...where'd you pull that number from? And which round? Is it always the 3rd?

Dude...they had a board. Where Ireland ranked all the players based on input from Philbin, his staff and the scouts.

When they got to that 2nd pick in the 3rd they had Miller at the top of their board...Philbin pushed for the TE to stretch the seam. Ireland gave his coach what he felt he needed to succeed (that's his job).

> When Braylon Edwards was interviewed for a
> position on the roster did you see the coach in
> the room? Or did you see Ireland doing the
> interview by himself with Braylon.

Yeah, actually you did. That segment started with Ireland and Philbin in Ireland's office discussing working out Edwards and Steinbach before everyone else reported.

The it moved to the practice bubble where they ALL watched them BOTH working out...or are you going to suggest that Philbin and Sherman closed their eyes when Edwards was running routes? eye rolling smiley

It closed with Ireland talking with edwards alone letting them know what their plans were.

> As Philbin pointed out when discussing Chad being
> cut, we all have boss's, I dont agree with
> everything my boss does, but he is the
> boss...(Paraphrased)
> Guess who hired Philbin and is his boss?
> Ireland... The coach is and employee of the GM...

I really don't see how you can take that stance and still argue that Ireland is responsible for everything his BOSS (parcells) did...but whatever...

Date: August 14, 2012 03:00PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> I think you’re wrong Crowder (and maybe a
> different handle is in order?).
>
> Ireland and Philbin 100% collaborate before and
> during the draft. Point of fact;
>
> Ireland’s job is to find players that fit
> Philbin’s spec (i.e., zone blocking, west coast
> O, 4-3 hybrid etc.) and not just “whatever
> player” Ireland thinks is sexy.
>
> Ireland has the “final vote” when there’s a
> few possibilities that FIT SPEC (based on
> Philbin’s criteria) but he does NOT just run
> around like a yard bird drafting “whoever” he
> thinks is the next bad ass…
>
> Same holds true for FA and trades and whatever.
> Ireland’s FULL TIME JOB is to find
> “opportunities” that fit spec. And you can bet
> the house he’s NOT going to bring someone into
> the mix that Philbin says “NO WAY!”
>
> Bottom line dude. It’s a collaborative effort.
> If Philbin fails Ireland fails. If Ireland
> succeeds Philbin succeeds. It’s that simple. And
> totally interrelated.
>
> The problem with Baby T (among many others) is
> that he didn’t know what he really wanted and
> had less of a clue as to what would be successful
> in today’s NFL. I think Philbin is vastly
> superior on both those fronts.
>
> BNF.

thumbs up

Date: August 15, 2012 04:26AM

Of course they collaborate but it is the GM who does the scouting of players not the coach..lol... A coach says what he wants and needs and the GM brings in the players, pretty simple. A coach has so many responsibilities, scouting players not on his team is at the bottom of the list... actually the one player thing has been stated alot, sorry u don't have any incite on it... I can think of watching hard knocks jets... Tannebaum and Rex , both said I give Rex one player a year during draft... And Rex's pick was John connor the terminator. I also saw it mentioned when Philbin mentioned Egnew was his pick so to speak this year following the draft. Maybe you guys need to pay attention a little better.

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2012 04:30AM by Crowder52.

Date: August 15, 2012 06:59AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 15, 2012 07:01AM

Philbin was asked by Bob griese..." Does every receiver know every position?"

Philbin said "mostly, except for Chad Johnson"

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 15, 2012 07:46AM

Date: August 15, 2012 07:59AM

I guess you guys think Philbins is a liar...lol..

Nietzsche

Date: August 15, 2012 08:08AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I guess you guys think Philbins is a liar...lol..

No. We think he has input into the situation and we know Ireland has the final say.

We just don't think those things are mutually exclusive like you do.

Date: August 15, 2012 08:33AM

I don’t see where that translates into anyone calling Philbin a liar?

Ireland has the bottom line responsibility of personnel and Philbin is in charge of the team. Ireland’s job is to find players that fit Philbin’s SPEC.

You can bet EVERY PLAYER drafted or brought in as a FA is “vetted” by Ireland and signed-on by Philbin. Do you think Ireland would bring in a player Philbin opposes? Or do you think Ireland would cut a player Philbin isn’t willing to let go of?

Between scouting, watching FAs, exploring trades, and managing the roster composition Ireland has a fulltime task. If he does his job at a high level then Philbin is provided with the players that best fit his spec and make the team better. Simple.

The accountability runs in both directions because there is some degree of overlap. But the ultimate responsibility for personnel is Ireland’s. But do you think Ireland would stand in the way of a roster move Philbin is 100% set to make? Ireland might explore trade options (in the case of BM) or come up with a list of possibilities as replacements, but if the HC doesn’t want a particular player on the roster the GM has to find an answer.

No lies. Just basic facts.

BNF.

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: August 15, 2012 09:14AM

Crowder, you're trying to explain something to a guy who thought Cam Cameron was the next coming of Don Shula.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.