HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Paycuts
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Paycuts
Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: May 11, 2011 06:40AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paycuts
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 11, 2011 07:24AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 11, 2011 07:29AM

oh puh-lease. there is no revenue coming in because the NFL has LOCKED out the players and suspended operations. yet somehow this is the players and Judge Nelson's fault? I'll give you points for consistency, but not much else.

Date: May 11, 2011 07:35AM

Berk-
You are right the DOlphins purchase was the best investment a man could make.... Do the numbers, it doesnt take a rocket scientist. If the NFL is forced to operate under last years rule, he is bleeding, bleeding badly... SOrry if you are so blinded by your opinion to see through to the truth of the matter... This is just the beginning

Date: May 11, 2011 07:38AM

They were told the paycuts were because this offseason the ticket sales have been horrible

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: May 11, 2011 07:48AM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 11, 2011 07:53AM

We were the 12th team to cut pay. Pretty sure not the last.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 11, 2011 08:27AM

I just don't get it. If I make $75,000 I'm taking a 20% cut..but the coach who makes several MILLION doesn't have to take a cut?!

Date: May 11, 2011 08:38AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just don't get it. If I make $75,000 I'm taking
> a 20% cut..but the coach who makes several MILLION
> doesn't have to take a cut?!

I don't know if the coaches have to take pay cuts, I doubt it. The coaches have contracts saying they get X amount of $$ for Y amount of years (unless fired for cause, which is why most coaches who are fired for bad performance (not the same as cause) get to keep getting paid under their contracts).

Run of the mill schmos like you and me and the team employees are "at-will employees" and don't have contracts. So the employer can say to them---we are cutting your pay 25%, if you don't like it, quit, if you don't want to quit and want to keep working here, that's your new pay going forward.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 11, 2011 08:40AM

Hey, berk, how can they make a move like that on players' salaries unilaterally given the litigation?

Date: May 11, 2011 08:47AM

That'll teach me to read the link first. It's employees at the front office.

By the way, the link had a picture of Andrew Bynum. Although I am part Laker fan (the other part OKC), I think the penalty of 5 game suspension is a JOKE! That SOB should have been given a ONE-YEAR suspension and I'll bet that would be the last time any other sports player took such a cheap shot!

I know they were frustrated at losing but let's suppose he had taken that poor kids career, or what's worse, suppose the kid had ended up in a wheelchair or broke his neck.

You can't base punishment on the basis of results. You have to base punishment on possible or foreseeable results.

I wouldn't give a one-year suspension for a slug fest. That's difference. But when this kid was up in the air to undercut him. Damn!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: May 11, 2011 10:03AM

This is PR suicide. If the owners are angling at all for the public opinion on this Lockout issue, they sure aren't going to win any support by pulling crap like this. Cutting the salary of someone who's high into the six-figure range is one thing, but this is just dumb. VERY dumb.

Date: May 11, 2011 01:08PM

And they are the same ones who did the draft. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Date: May 11, 2011 03:47PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> They were told the paycuts were because this
> offseason the ticket sales have been horrible

Drafting a QB would have gotten everyone excited.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 11, 2011 05:12PM

If Ross is in such dire straits (good band by the way) then why would he of signed off on Dansby and Marshall's huge contracts last year? And how was he able to Jet around (in a private Jet no less) and chase Harbaugh with a big buck contract?

Date: May 11, 2011 06:24PM

Date: May 12, 2011 12:26AM

Those questions were aimed more at a Crowder because he keeps saying how Ross is so broke running the Dolphins. But I do think cutting pay of low level employees though is just another PR move (albeit it a bad one) to try to show people how bad they have it right now (seems to be working on some).

Date: May 12, 2011 03:47AM

Dolphaholic-
MR Ross is wealthy, but when you make a 1.1 billion dollar bad investment, it hurts. When you invest all of that money into something becasue it is expected to grow, but in reality, it had peaked.
The Dolphins are bleeding, and as Phinfans says, Business men dont stay wealthy business man by letting major investments bleed them out with no upside.

I wish you guys, had a better understanding of buying and selling large investments and the ideas behind cap rates, and large debt verses intended cash flow or potential growth. The cash flow is negative, and the potential growth is tapped. That is horrible and the owners who are in similar situation as Mr Ross, and there are several, are done without a better negtiation. This has very little to do with the Lockout, and is more the reason for the lockout. These owners would much rather take a year or two of losses from a lockout then they can handle owning a huge scale bad investment as they currently do.

"when you make a 1.1 billion dollar bad investment"
Posted by: JC ()
Date: May 12, 2011 03:56AM

..... are you going to recoup your loss by cutting the receptionist's salary? No, you are not.

I get the reason why they're doing it, to convey a "woe is me" and a "see? I'm losing money, I don't WANT to do this but I HAVE to" message to the world. But it's going to backfire big-time, especially when other owners are NOT doing the same thing. It makes Kraft look like a freaking philanthropist and Ross look like an even bigger fool than he did beforehand.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 12, 2011 04:54AM

Cheap. Every body is gonna want to leave this team.

On the other hand isnt that telling the players ok you stink play better and we will raise your salary?

Date: May 12, 2011 05:19AM

so this is because the secretary stinks but if she types faster the team is going to pay her more?

Date: May 12, 2011 05:30AM

How come he signed off on 2 pretty big contracts last year (an uncapped year at that, no cap meant no floor, he didn't have to spend a dime) if he's struggling so bad? He probably spent more in jet fuel chasing Harbaugh then he did with these cuts.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 12, 2011 07:19AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> On the other hand isnt that telling the players ok
> you stink play better and we will raise your
> salary?

I don't know where you're getting this. The players are under contract, which is a completely different salary structure than the poor peons that are taking this cut.

Date: May 12, 2011 08:08AM

Date: May 12, 2011 08:17AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> How come he signed off on 2 pretty big contracts
> last year (an uncapped year at that, no cap meant
> no floor, he didn't have to spend a dime) if he's
> struggling so bad?

Because he is a businessman, and was trying to stimulate growth. It is hard to stimulate a business to grow without investment. The Heat signing the big three months later, just destroyed the push he was hoping to get. You forgot, on top of all of the Dolphins and Mr Ross's other problems with the investment, he has to compete with the Greatestest show on earth now, for local area entertainment disposable income. Which wasnt a problem last year at this time. The Dolphins are scr*wed at this point of time.... And it has nothing to do, with loss of income from this 2 month lockout.

Date: May 12, 2011 08:26AM

You better be careful Crowder, Ross is liable to cut your salary also.

Date: May 12, 2011 08:31AM

ALso the Heat play this game with season tix holders, where as if you want play off tickets for a given year, you have to renew your tickets for the next year. For instance, if you bought tickets last year, when you heard of the big three coming together, you were not guaranteed play off tickets unless you renewed for next year, and next year you will not be guaranteed play off tixs unless you renew for the following and so on. If they dont renew, they make more money selling the playoff tickets for an huge price increase, or use the playoff tickets to sell to another customer. It is smart they get huge renewals, while everyone is hot on the team and sees the value. The problem is it is the same time the Dolphins are working on selling tickets. Guess who wins that battle overwelmingly.... Not the Dolphins....

Date: May 12, 2011 08:36AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> You better be careful Crowder, Ross is liable to
> cut your salary also.

LOL, that was a good one Dolph-smileys with beer
Put in a good word for me.hahahaha, Although I dont think he would want me to tell him what a moron he is for making an emotional purchse for his ego, that is bad for us fans. I would tell Ross to take a 400 million dollar loss and sell the team, if he cared anything for Miami and the Dolphins... I think he is going to opt for the lockout, with that as option B

Date: May 12, 2011 08:49AM

Wayne definately sold high. Ross never had the liquid $$ to buy the team, which is why he had to scrounge for minority partners like J Lo.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 12, 2011 09:09AM

montequi Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > On the other hand isnt that telling the players
> ok
> > you stink play better and we will raise your
> > salary?
>
> I don't know where you're getting this. The
> players are under contract, which is a completely
> different salary structure than the poor peons
> that are taking this cut.

Meaning its the scrubs who are taking a paycut?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.