HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Cam Newton
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Cam Newton
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 15, 2011 04:42PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cam Newton
Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: February 15, 2011 05:36PM

Great find on that article man. Thanks for posting. Im right there with you and hope somehow we're able to land him.

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: February 15, 2011 06:00PM

If he's still available do you think the front office would pass??

As much as I want them to, I can't see them drafting a QB in the 1st R.

Date: February 15, 2011 06:26PM

from this article it sounds like he could go #1 or at least top 5. I think he's got to many Qs about him to justify that kind of move up, but I'd be happy with him at 15 or in a slight move up.

I think Ross would pretty much demand the FO draft him if he's available, and since both Sporano and Ireland are hanging by a thread already, they probably will comply

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 15, 2011 08:48PM

Ok so we draft the kid then what?

You know he will be forced to compete with Henne, and Thigpen, with the offense that we run? He isnt a under the center QB, and will probably never will be.

Drafting him, is drafting Vince Young, he is identical to Vince Young, in his talent abilities, and weakness's.

Drafting this kid will only bring us maybe to playoffs, but never a SB.

See Michael Vick for proof, that even the best at Running the ball for a QB, can't get a SB win.

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: February 16, 2011 03:33AM

Mia1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok so we draft the kid then what?
>
>
> You know he will be forced to compete with Henne,
> and Thigpen, with the offense that we run? He isnt
> a under the center QB, and will probably never
> will be.
>
> Drafting him, is drafting Vince Young, he is
> identical to Vince Young, in his talent abilities,
> and weakness's.
>
> Drafting this kid will only bring us maybe to
> playoffs, but never a SB.
>
> See Michael Vick for proof, that even the best at
> Running the ball for a QB, can't get a SB win.

That's true if the QB doesn't mature and downgrade the amount of running to become more of a passer. John Elway would be the example of this. Of course, there will always be a first. They used to say a black QB wouldn't win a SB-see Doug Williams. They used to say a dome team would never win a SB- see Rams and Colts. They used to say that a team that couldn't run the ball about half the time wouldn't win- see Rams, Colts, Saints, and Packers. The game continues to evolve, and what used to be the winning formula (run the ball and tough defense) isn't so much any more.
Who's to say that Cam Newton is the one who does win by being a running QB?

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 16, 2011 04:08AM

I actually think Newton will be glad to be more of a passing qb. He took a pounding in the national championship game. Secondly he is not a tuck and run qb. Most of his runs were called runs from the sideline. He makes his first and secondary reads. Those that say he is a tuck and run guy like Vick have not seen this guy play.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 16, 2011 05:27AM

Mayock is not sold on him at all, and although Mayock is not the end-all to QB knowledge, he is pretty good at analyzing them and I trust him more than any other.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 16, 2011 06:21AM

screw Mayock, he also said he evaluated Newton's tapes and said his mechanics are very good, his delivery is good and a big arm. Just another dtractor who personally does not like Newton. Plus he is working w/ Warren Moon and a noted qb coach to work on his under center defincies. He is taking care of business.

Newton will make it or he will not. I just do not like people hating the kid so much. He is not Russel, Pat White, or Vince Young. I think he is more like Roethilsburger and have to bite my tongue to not say Elway. I think he is the real deal.

Date: February 16, 2011 06:45AM

One of my biggest problems is his mentallity. He has a LONG sheet of theft, cheating, and other stupid ciminal stuff, which ok one can learn from. However under what went down, he didnt like sitting behind Tebow, and obviously didnt give a s.it about anyone while at Florida, besides himself, has 12 vehicle violations there too, which means he is very selfish.

He moves to a smaller town and college to "redeem" himself, but actually all he is doing is running away from his problems to regrow somewhere else.

Ok he does ok there, goes to Auburn, and finish's with a decent college career.

His dad talks with him, and wants 180k to have him play there.

So what happens when the small town alure run's out, when he starts making millions, playing in a big city?

The biggest thing that pisses me off about him, is he stole a lab top from a fellow student, and has multiple cheating on his record, is he that stupid? Can't hack the cut, and needs someone else's stuff to pass the grade?

Thats why I don't care for the guy, because all this report, that he is a changed man, and blah blah, yeah he might have matured some, and won't do some of the petty stuff, but then again with that mentallity, making zero, I waunder how bad he is going to be, when he starts making millions.

Which to me will hinder his learning curve resulting in a mediocre overpayed QB, who will never amount to much.

Now Josh Freeman is the exact opposite character, and he is doing well for Tampa.

Date: February 16, 2011 06:51AM

Since you decided to bring it up, did Marino win a SB?

Montana is a awsome name, it flow's well together, especially with Joe in front of it.
Montan I.A

Just saying. Your right, anyone can do anything, just its my little thing, that I do, you do what you do, and let me do my thing.

Worst case scenario, is I eat some delicious crow.

Date: February 16, 2011 07:03AM

Quote:

"screw Mayock, he also said he evaluated Newton's tapes and said his mechanics are very good, his delivery is good and a big arm."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
And your point is!?!? Plenty of QB's have had all those things and still been busts in the NFL....can you say Jamarcus Russell?!?

Just because you have a big arm, and good mechanics doesnt mean you will be a great QB....again, Jamarcus Russell.

---------------------

Date: February 16, 2011 07:19AM

the only thing I will do is wait and see. The guy did stupid things at Fl yeah but so did a lot of kids. He did not run away he got kicked out of UF and rightfully so. Could hav ran away and become a bum. Kid bust his ass did his time at a JC went to Auburn and one a NC and the highsman. If he were a dumb loser he would not have achieved any of those. He has kept his nose clean the last 3 years and I am fine w/ that. But I forget the modern America where we label people and tag them for their past and that who they will always be.

Can you say Kylle Boller, Jimmy Calusen, Brian Brohme, Alex Smith, Joey Harrington. Lots of guys busted in the NFL only time will tell. Newton will get his chance to show what he has until then folks are just talking with their heads up their **** because no one really knows.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 16, 2011 07:21AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> One of my biggest problems is his mentallity. He
> has a LONG sheet of theft, cheating, and other
> stupid ciminal stuff, which ok one can learn from.
> However under what went down, he didnt like
> sitting behind Tebow, and obviously didnt give a
> s.it about anyone while at Florida, besides
> himself, has 12 vehicle violations there too,
> which means he is very selfish.
>
> He moves to a smaller town and college to "redeem"
> himself, but actually all he is doing is running
> away from his problems to regrow somewhere else.
>
> Ok he does ok there, goes to Auburn, and finish's
> with a decent college career.
>
> His dad talks with him, and wants 180k to have him
> play there.
>
> So what happens when the small town alure run's
> out, when he starts making millions, playing in a
> big city?
>
>
> The biggest thing that pisses me off about him, is
> he stole a lab top from a fellow student, and has
> multiple cheating on his record, is he that
> stupid? Can't hack the cut, and needs someone
> else's stuff to pass the grade?
>
> Thats why I don't care for the guy, because all
> this report, that he is a changed man, and blah
> blah, yeah he might have matured some, and won't
> do some of the petty stuff, but then again with
> that mentallity, making zero, I waunder how bad he
> is going to be, when he starts making millions.
>

You have a good point Mia1! I didn't know about his history. That sounds really bad. Assuming that's all true, I don't want him either.

Date: February 16, 2011 07:35AM

the article goes into all of those character issues in great depth and concludes they are not a big deal. the key is has he done stuff like that recently or was that all in the past (i.e., when he was at FLA). The one thing I liked about him in the article is it said he was a very hard worker, first in weight room, film room, type stuff. That to me shows he's not likely to be a Russel type---get paid, go home and hit the purple drank

Date: February 16, 2011 07:38AM

he did not steal the lap top he bought a lap top that was stolen and tried to ditch it when it was discovered. After the cheating affair he was kicked out of UF and I agree w/ that. As I said before kid could have quit but went ahead to JC and Auburn and has not looked back since.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 16, 2011 08:58AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> he did not steal the lap top he bought a lap top
> that was stolen and tried to ditch it when it was
> discovered. After the cheating affair he was
> kicked out of UF and I agree w/ that. As I said
> before kid could have quit but went ahead to JC
> and Auburn and has not looked back since.

And he tooks his team to the top and won on every level. When he got kicked out of Florida he went on to win the JuCO National Championship, and then when he got his chance at Auburn and was guaranteed nothing, he tooks his team out of nowhere to beat all the big dogs in the SEC, the toughest conference in NCAA football, and then won a National Championship and a Heisman..... ANyone that does not give this kid a chance is a fool. It seems people have doubted him his whole life and to this point he has proved every naysayer that ever doubted him wrong.... I am sure he is up for the MIA challenge... Mayock doubts his character but the mistake Mayock is making is not judging his history of unflappable resilience... A resilient man always succeeds. It is a toughness and state of mind. Whatever he possibly lacked in character in the past is made up for with the never quit, always persevere attitude and history of this guy... I understand I am laying my phins rep on the line with this guy, but I doubt it will be a problem...And yes I am going against Mike Mayock on this one.. which makes it even ballsier...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 09:03AM by Crowder52.

Date: February 16, 2011 09:07AM

my view---Newton will either be a bust of one of the NFL top QBs, no middle ground. We've had plenty of 1st round busts but have not taken anyone with the upside to be a top QB. Let's roll the dice if he is there, worst case scenario, we have another first round bust like Jason Allen, etc. We can't be any worse off. Best case scenario, we have a franchise QB.

Date: February 16, 2011 09:20AM

I dont think he is Vince Young or Jamarcus Russell, part of a man's character is how he pick himself up off the dirt after he has failed been kicked in the balls... That part of his character is through the charts. And that part of a man's character IMO, is a big part of the "it" factor, you look for in a QB especially. A guy that when all the chips are down and against him finds a way to rise up and succeed...
Other parts of your character are not everything when picking a football player... John Beck was a shining example of Character, it didnt get us very far.. Ray Lewis had alot of character questions and also that perservere factor, do you think we should have drafted him?....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 09:21AM by Crowder52.

Date: February 16, 2011 09:27AM

this could all be moot as I am sensing from everything I'm reading/hearing that he could go #1 overall, no lower than 5.

Date: February 16, 2011 09:29AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> One of my biggest problems is his mentallity. He
> has a LONG sheet of theft, cheating, and other
> stupid ciminal stuff, which ok one can learn from.
> However under what went down, he didnt like
> sitting behind Tebow, and obviously didnt give a
> s.it about anyone while at Florida, besides
> himself, has 12 vehicle violations there too,
> which means he is very selfish.
>
MIA, parking at florida campus is atrocious, nowhere near the amount of parking for students and the Campus, writes tickets like crazy, if you are late for class, alot of times you get locked out... They tie your credits and getting your reports cards to your license plate, so you cant get your grades without paying parking tickets that is how big of a problem it is.. Most students would try and register their parents tags with the school, to prevent from having pay all the tickets... I would say every student gets at least a few ever semester, just becasue of the layout and limited parking and the school loves to make money...

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 16, 2011 10:25AM

He sounds like he's more of a Jeff George than a Jamarcus Russell.

Date: February 16, 2011 10:27AM

Well we wont get him so all this is kinda mute.

We will see in time who has a better feeler for prospect players.

I hope he does well, but I am not counting on it. I wounder who is going to wait, I know I can see him going to Washington.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 16, 2011 10:56AM

Don't drink the Cam Newton koolaid this kid is a disaster waiting to happen. I would stay the hell away from this player he will be a cancer on any team as well as his meddling father. Cam Newton = biggest bust in this years draft.

Date: February 16, 2011 11:07AM

yeah he was a big cancer at Auburn. The fans coaches and his teammates all that he was a jerk.

get real

Date: February 16, 2011 11:10AM

Doesnt matter anyways.....garauntee he will be a top 5 pick. GAURANTEED.

His physical abilities will sky-rocket his stock so high by draft day that his dust will be an after thought by the time we pick at #15.

Top 5 pick for Newton.

Next subject.

---------------------

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 16, 2011 01:59PM

The team that takes him will regret it Mizzou you obviously can't fathom the fact the Pro's aint college, and the spread is NOT run in the Pro's period. Your obviously an Auburn fan who worships Newton. I say garbage in garbage out, and his garbage ass wull be out of the NFL in 3-4 years max. Too dumb and immature to make in at the next level.
Say what you want their are NO successful spread Qb's that are playing in the NFL right now at a high level. Even Michael Vick's team Virginia Tech did not use the spread, and Vick is a hell of alot faster and more elusive then bigfoot Newton. I know what I am saying the spread ia a gargage offense put in the college games so that athletic QB's can win at the college level. You put any player under center who is a spread QB, and he can't function. I don't even know why I argue this point. You will all see for yourselves very shortly, as yet another hiesman winner falls on his ass in the Pro's. Last point why were all og the pundits saying that Andrew Luck was going to be the 1st pick in the draft what kind of offense did Stanford run. You guessed it a Pro style offense. Newton would absolutely fail as Stanfords starting QB where as Lucks would have flourished in the spread based on it's simplistic read or run offense.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 16, 2011 04:30PM

Rumor has Buffalo considering him at 3

Date: February 16, 2011 04:40PM

I hope so man Davis would have a field day.

Date: February 16, 2011 04:49PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Rumor has Buffalo considering him at 3

you mean Mel Kiper's mock draft?

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.