HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Former GM: EightyFive not Diciplined
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Former GM: EightyFive not Diciplined
Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: July 12, 2012 09:51AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Former GM: EightyFive not Diciplined
Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: July 12, 2012 10:03AM

I can't see why the phins would not be able to train #85 to run disciplind routes in a selectect number of patterns ... however ...
Let's assume he just can't do it.

Lets suppose for discussion sake that his only skill is ... as noted in other reports ... that he has a knack for getting separation:

Is it possible that Chad has value as a wild card decoy, that gets thrown to only if he gets open?

Gut feel is that we ought to be able to do better (have both a talented guy that gets separation, but also can run a route plan ... but year one until we fill the WR slots, I wouldn't be surprised to see that scenario.

I think he has a full camp to learn a few routes

Date: July 12, 2012 10:10AM

Phinjim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Is it possible that Chad has value as a wild card
> decoy, that gets thrown to only if he gets open?
>

In a WCO, an open receiver that isn't the right spot is worthless.

Date: July 12, 2012 10:20AM

Perhaps in your opinion he is worthless.

NE didn't think so. They played him, but rarely threw to him (decoy). Someone had to cover him.

They did however release him this year.

As I stated, (ignored) I expect he'll learn the routes if he's gonna play. And he will get thrown if and when he runs them right, else the ball goes elsewhere.

Its obvious you don't like him, so that's okay ... I hope he has the drive to make you and other Chad haters eat some crow befor the season's out.

Thos of us hoping he does well may just as well be dissapointed, but the FO got him for minimum, so my crow sandwich will be a lot smaller than yours smiling smiley

No big deal if it doesn't happen.

Date: July 12, 2012 05:51PM

If you think having a decoy is worth something then 10 year worth of mediocrity sprinkled with high grade suckage has likely lowered standards.

I will not so easily accept a big name free agent signing of a guy that clearly has no business on a WCO.

If you honestly believe that Brady would not have passed to him if he could run routes and get open, then you are truly in denial about this Oitenta e cinco.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: July 13, 2012 03:29AM

The biggest difference between Chad in NE and Chad in Miami, is that NE gave up two draft picks for him, and Miami is paying him the veteran minimum. If he can't learn the system, he gets cut. We might as well be discussing Julius Pruitt or Marlon Moore. I think this is the proverbial no-brainer. He's either good or he's gone.

Date: July 13, 2012 05:04AM

Re: Above DolphanKing
> If you think having a decoy is worth something then 10 year worth of mediocrity sprinkled with high grade suckage has likely lowered standards.

- Not lowered, I'm disgusted with offensive production like everyone else, but have enough optimism to see when change is happening that there is potential.
- #85 ... as said in several posts is a no-lose experiment. Read and digest all that is said vs pick out a piece.

> I will not so easily accept a big name free agent signing of a guy that clearly has no business on a WCO.

- If he truly has no business then he wont be here, EOS.
-I can see him having a renewed motivation both to learn the routes (due to his last year failure ... in which he and others had minimal camp time).
- I can see him wanting to excel to reinstate his name / reputation.
- I can also see him as a decoy (within the system) whether he runs the route right, or whether he runs it wrong, he will draw coverage.
- I can see him getting the ball thrown to him if and when he is open.
(Yes I understand what the WCO is built on, timing right routes etc)

> If you honestly believe that Brady would not have passed to him if he could run routes and get open, then you are truly in denial about this Oitenta e cinco.

- Tom Brady did pass to him, to the tune of about two hundres and something yards (whoopy). And yes I agftree he would have thrown to him more if he were open more.
- Do keep in mind however that Tom Brady (UNLIKE the miami dolphins) have a ton of other targets to throw to, both at WR, TE, Backs etc.
- Do keep in mind also that last year (unlike this year) there was precious little time for an all be it talentent, but slow learner to adapt to a new system. NE had in place a system that all but #85 already knew ... he was new guy odd man out in an abreviated pre-season.
- Conversely in Miami, everyone is being taught the new system. Andy he has a real chance to compete and learn it and perhaps to be thrown to more.

Fins72 recaps it well.
- We paid squat and have no risk, and plenty of upside.
- I don't have a cloud following me around that limits my optimism to see potential for both #85 to improve his route running with a full camp, to serve as a decoy, and awareness that WCO takes advantage of forcing defenses to cover the short pass first, and will thus open up some big play chance for Chad Johnson and all the receivers.

thumbs up Go Phins!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: July 13, 2012 10:11AM

Fins72 Wrote:
> The biggest difference between Chad in NE and Chad
> in Miami, is that NE gave up two draft picks for
> him, and Miami is paying him the veteran minimum.
> If he can't learn the system, he gets cut. We
> might as well be discussing Julius Pruitt or
> Marlon Moore. I think this is the proverbial
> no-brainer. He's either good or he's gone.

I don't know for sure, but I believe it is correct in saying Chad is playing for the NFL minimum. Cutting him won't be a problem; and I think Chad realizes that. I truly believe he knows where he is in his career and needs to do a much better job....at everything. He still has the talent, otherwise Miami wouldn't have signed him. Now it is up to him. His biggest problem is route-running; not that he can't do it - he just never has and was never forced to do so. He will either do that with Miami, or he will be working on his Reality show or whatever.

Date: July 13, 2012 10:57AM

Phinjim Wrote:
> - I can see him getting the ball thrown to him if
> and when he is open.
> (Yes I understand what the WCO is built on, timing
> right routes etc)
>

Not if Fünfundachtzig is in the wrong spot. That is not how the WCO works.

But I have a feeling how this is going to end up, and its bad. If Fünfundachtzig is a "decoy" like you say, he will run around and get open, but he'll completely ignore the playbook and won't get the ball thrown to him.

Fünfundachtzig will then mention he was open (he has done that before), some jackhole in the SoFla media or ESPN will see a chance to stir the pot, and the next thing you know there will be a big controversy about 85 not getting thrown the ball. Half the people will side with the Fünfundachtzig, the other with the QB, and there will be polarizing flame war discussions on sites such as this. Nothing will get solved.

At the end Fünfundachtzig will be released (having even more press, because its not what they are saying, its that they are talking), the QB in question will have his credibility shatter with half the fans, and the coach will look like he can't control the team.

This can't possibly end bad...... (If you can't tell, that's sarcasm)

But at least Ross will have made a quick buck on a few extra tickets and jersey sales.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 18, 2012 04:45AM

Chad Johnson will be doing Duracell battery commercials by mid season. (dating myself)

Point being....he has a chip on his shoulder and from most reports he is still very quick and in great shape. He is also working with his old WR coach/trainer. The only thing I worry about are the drops. That was an issue in NE.

Determination to succeed is a powerful weapon. Especially for someone with talent and 7-1000 yard seasons.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: July 18, 2012 11:23AM

Every body has there own vision as to how its gonna work out.

I choose to see the #85 experiment as ONLY Upside!

If he is as you suggested not able to be trained or figure out where he needs to be with a full training camp, and a newfound motivation, then he won't be catching any balls cause he'll be cut ... End of Story.

If not, he'll be using his talent and the system will take advantage of ANY receiver ... even him or others that get open while others are decoys.

Hang in there ... It'l be okay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.