HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Your Grade For The Dolphins 2012 Draft
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Your Grade For The Dolphins 2012 Draft
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 29, 2012 07:17AM

Jonathan Twilley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> My biggest concern is that we failed to address
> the guard spot.

Yeah, me too.

But you can't fill every hole in one year on a 6-10 team.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 29, 2012 07:26AM

Date: April 29, 2012 08:18AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 29, 2012 08:30AM

Before i saw the results i gave it a B and i guess almost everybody agreed with me...

Should be a B....

We got what we needed there were some reaches but i like the RB from UM has a chance of been just like that colt RB from um i forgot his name...

If we can improve the line this kid will make a lot of things happen man..

I saw him play i live in miami and yes it was a great pick...IMO this kid leave aside injuries will, be a faster Ronnie Brown.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 29, 2012 08:33AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Jonathan Twilley Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > My biggest concern is that we failed to address
> > the guard spot.
>
>
> Yeah, me too.
>
> But you can't fill every hole in one year on a
> 6-10 team

Isnt OG the easiest position to play OT and center much harder....I like that they didnt wasted a pick on a guard..

We got some quality players that will make this team....

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 29, 2012 08:36AM

samsam3738 Wrote:

>
> Isnt OG the easiest position to play OT and center
> much harder...
>

Generally speaking, yes.

But the west coast offense uses a zone blocking scheme at requires athletic guards that can pull.

They are harder to find.

Posted by: LUDUPORCU ()
Date: April 29, 2012 08:41AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Solid B until we find out how Tanehill turns out.
> Might be a few seasons.......

Well-said.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 29, 2012 09:19AM

Landed the QB we all hope is the future. The kid is an excellent prospect. Hopefully solved RT hole. Added 2 "pressure Lady killers" with lots of upside. Great spec pick of Lamar Miller (speed and moves...) IF his shoulder is OK = definite explosive playmaker. Added WR's who tend to make TD catches, very good hands, routes, not burners but football players. Added TE with huge upside and ready to exploit the middle day one.

Key areas of ??? = S ILB and CB depth. Also wanted an athletic G. But all in all, we addressed significant areas of need with what looks to be a VERY high-value upside oriented draft. IF ??? we hit this draft then one more highly productive talent snag next year and we should be (???) pretty tight top to bottom. We have a number of pending FA's to address but we should do OK there IMO.

So for right now, of paper I'd say very SOLID B to maybe B+.

Obviously if Thill is The Man then it's A+

I think Ireland woorked the value angle well and went after BIG HITS as opposed to playing it safe - tho Jonathan Martin was a pretty "safe pick." A good thing in this particular case.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 29, 2012 10:01AM

Tannehill is a lottery ticket as some have said. If he hits, we've solved our biggest problem for years to come. If not he's a bust. Grade: Wait and see.

Martin: I don't claim to have ever seen him play but I know just a few weeks ago he was predicted as a top 15 pick as a LT. I gotta think he can be a solid starting RT for us giving us a huge upgrade on OL. Plus he's supposedly quick and athletic which is the kind of line we're trying to build. Assuming he can play RT, I give him a grade of A-. Would've like to have maybe traded down a bit and taken Rueben Randel, but still a good pick.

Vernon: Didn't really like this pick. Few of the "look like tarzan play like jane" guy pan out in the NFL and he didn't to squat at UM. 3d seemed very high for him, and there were better players on the board. Grade: c-.

Egnew: Fast but didn't look that impressive in the clips I saw, and again I think we needed a WR more. Grade: c.

Miller: love this pick. great value and he was a great RB at the U. Plus fasted RB in the draft. Grade: A.

As for the rest, I don't really know anything about the OR LB or TX DL. The late round receivers were incredibly productive; I wonder why they dropped so far but you gotta like the production in college.

Overall draft grade: B, which will be an A+ if Tannhill's the real deal pro bowl QB we've all been pining for.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: April 29, 2012 10:08AM

I'm quite pleased with this draft. I give it a solid B. Lots of needs met with some good value.

If RT blossoms then it'll turn into an A+. I'm hoping that he'll turn out to be less of a project and reach than everyone thinks.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: April 29, 2012 12:09PM

wow two guys from miami... i love it, its all about the U!!!

Tannehill: thought we could do without but like his talent, he is labled with potential cause he has ability but has not put it together yet at texas a&m. We drafted him so im on board (B+)

Johnathan martin: i believe that any guy on that stanford line you cant go wrong with, they made luck look like the best qb in the last 30 years smiling smiley he has a mean streak that i love and can pass protect and run block (A-)

Oliver Vernon: strong straight line rusher but i question his motor and his ability to get off of blocks. I am all about the U so i will give him a C+ (if he was from any other school i would give him a C- lol)

Lamar miller: ooohhhhh now we are talking about some prime time ish, this is my boy! great one cut runner and gets north in a hurry. Similar to grant with the pack but i think a better reciever out the back field and better vision, for his value i love it!!! give him A-

otherguys dont know much about, need too look at them, kaddu OLB from oregon looks intreging though. Overall like what we did: grade B but i would admit, what do I know lol...

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: April 29, 2012 12:58PM

I'm loving this draft and this new coaching regime a lot. They seem to be working very well with Ireland personnel wise so far. All the player acquisitions are a unanimous franchise decision as a whole.

I really get the feeling that it's going to be fun watching this team play again real soon.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: April 29, 2012 08:51PM

No, you can't. "Value" is some arbitrary number assigned to a player with absolutely nothing to base it on, so it means NOTHING. To illustrate: the year Tom Brady was picked sixth, He was the only player that played more than 3 years from that Patriot draft. Since he was picked sixth, I assume he was "assigned" a low value, and the other players drafted before him had a higher "value". So, where did the true value of that draft come from? Marino was picked 27th in his draft class-therefore 26 other players were assigned a higher arbitrary "value" than he was. Where did the value in that draft come from? Jimmy Johnson started this silliness, and the media picked up on it, and draftniks embraced it. It's just a way to organize their draft boards.

Rick

Date: April 29, 2012 08:58PM

That is a silly analogy-how can you tell how good a part is until you test it? That is, put it where it belongs and have it do what its supposed to do? Test it, THEN grade it. How much does it mean if you grade it BEFORE its been tested?

Rick

Date: April 29, 2012 09:04PM

You have NOTHING to base it on, it means nothing. Only grade possible is on the draft show itself. Personally, I thought it was so boring I taped it and just watched the Dolphins picks-which was only slightly less boring than the rest of the show-what little I saw of it. Hats off to the NFL's marketing arm.

Rick

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 30, 2012 03:39PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> > But you can't fill every hole in one year on a
> 6-10 team.

Yaa-ahhh! That's why you don't pass up opportunities to fill those holes one by one, year by year.

So you don't end up HAVING to fill every hole in one year.

But if you PASS UP, opportunities to fill those holes with franchise players, that will be the position you put the team in.

Again that is why.......

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 30, 2012 03:44PM

if we filled the qb and ol hole this year, we can add WR and D next year and be in good shape, but the QB is the key---and we won't know the answer for a few years

Date: May 17, 2012 09:54AM

Just curious. What, exactly, do you base this opinion on?

Rick

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: May 17, 2012 10:17AM

I like the value we got and the completeness of what we brought in for where we had the biggest gaps.

Like the rest, a top grade depends on T-Hill, but I think they did well.

The part not mentioned with focus on drasft alone is that these players are also very well positioned to fit in with the new offense and coaching scheme. That's smart and well integrated planning.

Posted by: Flippersbest ()
Date: May 17, 2012 05:01PM

I gave it a B. The best value draft in years.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.