HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          seriously???
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
seriously???
Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: March 24, 2012 07:06PM

ok folks, i guess i will get ripped now from a few of you but what the hell bring it ok? This bullshit about ross calling a fan, seriously?? hey ross call me do u want my freakin number? They were going to cut marshall about as fast as i am a millionaire!!! I am not that stupid. When the hell has a coach or owner not been able to deal with a strong personality?? you tell him either @#$%& play or your not getting paid. Oh my god this crap is insane!!. The coach wanted flynn trust me, if they didnt want him they wouldnt have brought him in, for crying out loud you piece of shit owner and gm admit you just were cheap it has nothing to do with anything else, u just dont want to pay. Manning thing well simply was a disgrace. The man doesnt even respect you enough to give YOU an interview!! . You can all hate me and thats fine, i can live with that but what i cant live with is all this bullshit lying! This team will suck and so will its management until this a hole sells it or gets rid of Ireland!! Are you Honestly going to piss in my face and tell me that stinking ass old man Gerrard is the best that you can produce for this team?? BULLSHIT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: seriously???
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 24, 2012 07:34PM

Don't you hate reading posts like Fiedlerhater has done above where a guy tries so hard not to take a position that you can barely figure out how he feels. How he is wishy-washy and vague on every position. How he tries to qualify everything he says. How you can hardly figure out what he is saying because he vacillates from position to position.

Take a stand and defend it for Godsakes, Man!

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 25, 2012 03:21AM

I think you should change your moniker to "Ross/Irelandhater"...........that'll show em.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 25, 2012 03:42AM

Why wouldn't you believe they were going to cut Marshall? Cutting him would have saved $3.5M against the cap. Reportedly, they were upset with his behavior at the Pro Bowl, and how he was openly lobbying for Matt Flynn and Peyton Manning. His skills and mode of playing DO NOT mesh in the WCO they are trying to put in (he runs sloppy routes, sometimes freelancing them, and he does not get open quickly). He demanded a trade if they didn't sign Flynn or Manning. And they were very worried about what a disgruntled Marshall could do to the team. Look at what he did in Denver.

Date: March 25, 2012 04:42AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why wouldn't you believe they were going to cut
> Marshall?

That's easy Mark, because it doesn't fit some peoples rant that Ross shops at Walmart and Ireland rides the short bus to work. Just like him not believing that Philbin didn't think that highly of Flynn, that theory can't be because it doesn't make Ireland look like a window licker.

Date: March 25, 2012 05:03AM

Well the reason all these therories are out there is becuase they don't explain themselves. Not asking them to give away the draft , But why bring Flynn here at all ? Philbin didn't have a good look at him during the 4 years he coached him!? CUT Marshall for nothing?MVP in the Pro Bowl..... Really? eye rolling smiley

Ross is so full it , its coming out of his ears.

Date: March 25, 2012 05:26AM

Philbin not pushing harder for Flynn was a slap in the face to Flynn, it would of been a steel toed boot to balls to not even bring him in, the Packers family is just that, a family, doubt Philbin wanted to leave him hanging like that. Plus, Ross kinda answers this question by saying "even if we signed him, we'd have to draft a guy anyway" sounds like they brought Flynn in to see if he wanted to sign for low-end starter money and compete for the job. Actually sounds like a smart move to me.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 25, 2012 05:40AM

Look I am no fan of Ross nor Ireland for that matter, but I dont think you are giving a fair assesment of what Ross said...
I believe him, that if Philbin thought Flynn was the man, he would be a Dolphin... On Marshall, why would he lie about the fact that he was going to cut him, it doesnt serve him or Ireland at all.. It is admitting failure... I think Ross was more then honest with what he said...
The guy has lost thousands if not tens of thousands of season ticket holders in the last 4 years since he first came on board..
He has nothing to lose, opening himself up to a frustrated fan, it would not be a time to lie... And i dont think he did...
So many times it is not what happens, it is how you deal with it.. Management under Ross and Ireland in the past have not dealt with it well.. THis phone call was not one of those times... Actually I think they handled this properly...

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 25, 2012 06:35AM

Agree with Crowder52

Decisions on Flynn & Tannehill will come down to Philbin & Sherman's evaluation of their potential, & worth. They have more insight than anyone, and they determined Flynn was not worth his asking price.Seattle obviously thought differently. But so did teams on Kolb & Cassell that have not paid off so far. Only time will tell on this one, and on Tannehill.

Hey matt Leinert is available! Harbaugh snagged Josh Johnson even though having Caepernick. If Smith goes down, don't be surprised if Johnson is the guy

Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 25, 2012 06:43AM

When we gave 2 2nd round picks for Marshall he has a couple incidents in his past, but, he was regarded as an elite WR.

He played for us and demonstrated that he indeed is a 'very good' WR, but, that he is not that 'elite' guy. IN addition his off-field issues continued to grow.

So, we had a guy that cost 2 2nd's, was signed to a #1WR contract, large Cap figure, dropping game winning TD's, was throwing the QB's under the bus, and they were shopping him...and he then punches a woman in a night club....we get 2 3rd's for him.... I don't care what Ross told some fan. That was a smart move.

Ross is used to spinning things...I personally thought him calling the fan was a cool move.

You have to look at the disgruntled fan base as different groups with different levels/cases of dis-satisfaction.
- There is a group that will never be swayed by words/explanations. Gotta ignore them and hope the on-field product brings them back.
-There are groups that hate Ireland, some Ross, some both,
-there are bewildered tired fans
-fence sitters

The OWNER actually calling a vocal disgruntled fan wins over fans that are winnable...and the people that hate the move were likely not winnable anyway. Ross' silence would have been seen as distasteful as him calling a fan.

How is the Manning thing any more of a disgrace than it was for San Fran who has a starter? Titans? Seattle? Arizona?

Several teams vocally went after him. He picked the place where he felt he could get to the play-offs most EASILY...Miami plays the Pats and Jets and the Mario Williams infused Bills twice. How were Ross/Ireland to blame for that?

Flynn? are you guys serious? Do you think we made a serious effort to sign him?

Here is what went down. Joe Philbin is the Head Coach...he knows Flynn...maybe likes Flynn....but in consultation with Ireland and Sherman...they decide that they would rather draft Tannehill/Weedon and bring in a veteran ( ie. with playing experience) to compete with Moore.

Flynn's stock is tied to Miami's actions. If Miami doesn't bring him in...Flynn is F#%KED...because it is a condemnation by his former coach. This is a rare situation where deciding NOT to bring him in hurts someone you respect.

So...as a kindness to Flynn...they bring him in and make him a modest offer...If they got him at the bargain price...great...if not...they did him a favor and drove up his price at the same time.

I don't love all of their moves...but...so far...I don't see what the great harm has been? they re-signed Soliai...got value for Marshall..and brought in Garrard to compete with a guy who played well in the last 9 games of the season. yes it looks like we've swung and missed a few times...but that means nothing on the field.

Ireland has drafted well...and has a solid draft ammunition with which to find fill some holes. June 1st cuts will also make more vets available.

Like it or not....new HC, new OC, new DC...this is a rebuld/reload/retool.

You build through the draft. You sign free agents when you are looking to finish the puzzle.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 25, 2012 07:22AM

cutting marshal would have been the most incompetent move ever. OK I get it so he pissed off the coach and GM and owner and is a locker room cancer. So he was with Denver. Did they CUT him? no they suspended his ass and made his life difficult all the while holding out for the best trade they could get thru training campe. and along comes the sucker miami dolphins to give up 2 2d round picks and a fat contract with guaranteed money.
but fresh off a pro bowl season you actually would have defended the move if they just CUT him right away? Not even the bears thought we'd be that stupid as they offered us 2 3d round picks, instead of just waiting for us to cut him. So yes I hope for ross's sake he was just being stupid as usual with that comment and cutting marshall wasn't really part of the plan. sheesh

Date: March 25, 2012 08:59AM

Posted by: KB ()
Date: March 25, 2012 09:57AM

Marshall may be a POS but the root of the problem is ROSS IS A CHEAP SOB. Look at his moves, especially over the last several years, and say I'm wrong. Our high draft picks have all been lower paying positions and all the skill players are blue light specials. The guy is constantly bargain shopping. Thats fine at the grocery store not in the NFL. IMO this is the BIGGEST reason we can't find a QB OR coach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 09:57AM by KB.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 25, 2012 09:57AM

Date: March 25, 2012 10:15AM

KB Wrote:
> Marshall may be a POS but the root of the problem
> is ROSS IS A CHEAP SOB. Look at his moves,
> especially over the last several years, and say
> I'm wrong. Our high draft picks have all been
> lower paying positions and all the skill players
> are blue light specials. The guy is constantly
> bargain shopping. Thats fine at the grocery store
> not in the NFL. IMO this is the BIGGEST reason we
> can't find a QB OR coach.

But I don't DISagree with anything you said here.

Edited to correct and put the "DIS" on the agree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 10:16AM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 25, 2012 10:27AM

KB Wrote:

You have a valid point. Ross is definitely a cheap SOB.

Date: March 25, 2012 11:22AM

By coming out and stating......we were going to cut Marshall anyway, that makes the Bears look like Aholes. Smart move .That will be really good for any trade moves in the future dips**t. confused smiley

Date: March 25, 2012 11:50AM

Exactly, Rogers is trying to help a buddy land a job with a solid payday.

If we hadn't brought him in, Flynn would signed to some crappy back-QB contract. Philbin brought him in....Ireland gave him a low ball offer that would have brought him in on the cheap. And because of that, Seattle had to up the ante to a respectable contract and chance to compete for the starting spot.

If we signed him to a $4 Million dollar contract and he didn't beat out Moore, fans would have called for Ireland's head. Moore played very well. Well enough that we have to draft a replacement or pay a 'sure thing'. Peyton Manning was the only option close to a 'sure thing'.....Flynn was not....neither was Alex Smith.

Date: March 25, 2012 11:54AM

Perhaps...but ...that is a possibility that the Bears had to weigh. If the Phins cut Marshall....no guarantee that they would get him.

Also, I am sure that the cutthroat, disingenuous GMs around the league recognize that Ross spun it for the fans. Nobody is going to shy away from a deal that allows them to acquire the talent they are looking for because the owner might make it sound like his team got the better end of the deal.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 25, 2012 12:28PM

I'm not so sure that Ross is cheap...if you go back and look at most of the deals Parcells has ever been involved with he is the cheap one...Parcells loves unselfish, blue collar, great work ethic, guys that play far above thier level of pay. Since our recent leadership has mostly been Parcells deciples its no wonder the people he brought in share the same value view point.

I'm not saying its wrong here but in some cases it is.

Manning was too expensive...period.

Flynn...I wanated him, but if Philbin had reservations about whether or not his worth was as high as 8 miilion a season. I'll trust him.

Tebow...not worth the drama, and not a very good QB...he does have great intangables though.

Smith...again maybe not worth what his price tag was going to be...in another season we'll know but right now its a mystery.

Date: March 25, 2012 02:05PM

Anyone that says Ross is cheap, is hating just for the sake of hating. Probably the dumbest comment I've read in a long time, on a board full of dumb comments.

Date: March 25, 2012 02:06PM

I dont think Ross is cheap, I think he is getting crushed with his investment, but in the conversation he claimed he wasnt in this for money... I think what Ross was saying is that the business of the Dolphins will not change his lifestyle, but he has an ego, pride, and the downturn in the Dolphins success on the field, which is what he claims he wants will also be tied to success in the business.. So take that for what it is worth, I still think he was being honest it was just how he approached it, the two are tied together but he seperated them...
Ross has the money to invest in the team, and i dont believe finances are remotely what is holding this franchise back... They need a good plan, and good leaders that inspire, people want to follow, bet their livelihood and future on... We need Philbin to be that guy, Ross and Ireland have both fallen short of that important factor... In the NFL you need 2 things IMO, a good plan that can be successful in modern day NFL, and a guy that can sell it and rally the troops around that plan...Without them both, you have what we have....

Date: March 25, 2012 02:24PM

Well said Crowder, to expand on your second paragraph though, Ireland and Sparano never really had a plan, they were executing Parcells, and it failed. I feel like now there is a plan (Philbins) and its Irelands job to get him the right personnel, to me they have made some smart football decisions so far this off-season. Time will tell if it works.

Date: March 25, 2012 02:44PM

KB Wrote:

And yet, we were one the top 10 spending teams in the league in terms of salary.

Date: March 25, 2012 02:52PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Well the reason all these therories are out there
> is becuase they don't explain themselves. Not
> asking them to give away the draft , But why bring
> Flynn here at all ? Philbin didn't have a good
> look at him during the 4 years he coached him!?
> CUT Marshall for nothing?MVP in the Pro Bowl.....
> Really? eye rolling smiley
>
> Ross is so full it , its coming out of his ears.

You bring in Flynn because he knows your system and can help teach it to the rest of the team. And you know he can start while you groom a rookie to replace him. And you offer him a deal as such. And it wasn't enough. And they were smart enough to not offer him a deal he can never live up to.

Yes, you could have cut Marshall for nothing. Do you think there were teams beating down the door to get Marshall with his current contract and his off field issues? Being the MVP of the Pro Bowl is meaningless. They don't blitz and they don't play press coverage. It's more meaningless than a preseason game.

When we traded for Marshall, we overpaid for him. He had feuded with his coach, but people thought maybe it was because McDaniels rubbed people the wrong way. He had a dozen domestic violence incidents, but people thought it was all the crazy ex fiancee, and the new wife would change everything. Everyone thought the Darrent Williams incident weighed on him, and he needed a new start somewhere else. Two years later, it turns out his problems with coaches weren't limited to McDaniels. It turns out the domestic violence issues weren't limited to the crazy ex fiancee. And it turns out he still manages to find trouble no matter where he lives. Add it up, and two years later, his value is lot less than when we got him. We were LUCKY to get anything for him.

Date: March 25, 2012 03:02PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Well said Crowder, to expand on your second
> paragraph though, Ireland and Sparano never really
> had a plan, they were executing Parcells, and it
> failed. I feel like now there is a plan (Philbins)
> and its Irelands job to get him the right
> personnel, to me they have made some smart
> football decisions so far this off-season. Time
> will tell if it works.

I think Sparano had a plan and Ireland had a plan, and whether Sparano's plan was not good enough or Ireland never got him the proper personel he needed to execute his plan... the plan was never succesful or clear... that was the problem, sparano did a good job rallying the troops for the most part....

Date: March 25, 2012 03:53PM

well articulated.

agree on all points.

Date: March 25, 2012 03:59PM

I don't know....I think the guys were loyal to Tony...they liked Tony...most of them anyway...

But we always came out slow to start the season and to start games.

I think Tony S. may one day be a successful HC....but the circumstances and conditions in Miami did not help get it done here.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: March 26, 2012 05:46AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Anyone that says Ross is cheap, is hating just for
> the sake of hating. Probably the dumbest comment
> I've read in a long time, on a board full of dumb
> comments.

He doesn't spend the money where it will matter. And yes, I am hating. Hating seeing my team of almost 40 years keep pursuing strategy's that have failed and hating seeing them be non-competitive and mediocre because they refuse to pay money to impact players.

BTW, I would say the DUMBEST posts are the 'TRADE DOWN, PICK LINEMEN AND WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR' ones. eye rolling smiley

Date: March 26, 2012 06:02AM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.