HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Thoughts on Tebow
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Thoughts on Tebow
Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 20, 2012 04:18PM

I thought I saw a Tebow thread, but it seems long gone. So I will reset the discussion.

Tim Tebow is a difficult player.

On one hand he is a winner. Whether by, luck, deterimination, fast reacting synapses, will of God...the guy makes plays and elevates the play of those around him.

On the other hand, he is inconsistent, is unorthodox, and limits the team's offensive style.

BUT...couldn't similar be said of Peyton Manning? Dan Marino and Joe Montana? These guys have consistency on their side....but they were asked to do what they were good at MOST of the time...and were not made to fail at what they couldn't do.

If Montana had been asked to run a traditional vertical game he would have failed. If Marino or Manning were asked to run a West Coast or Spread...they would have failed.

SO....what if a team decided to take a winner and use his assets by designing a system that works for him?

What about Tebow running the Wildcat? What about Tebow on the field as a slot/RB/Qb hybrid?

so when I look at all that...I think...yeah ...maybe....but is it worth it? Wouldn't I be better off going the traditional route?

BUT...and here is the part I can't ignore......what if my opponent picks him up?

What do the Jets or Pats look like with Tebow? Brad Smith was highly successful for the Jets. Tebow would be a better Brad Smith.

Here is a scary one.....Brady, Welker, Grongowski, Hernandez...and Tebow. WTF?!!! I would crap my pants. What defense could deal with that?

So...do you send one of the 3rds from Marshall back to Denver for Tebow?

yeah...I think I would. It is a small investment...that would sell tickets, jerseys, get prime time coverage..could give us a winning team leader ( not necessarily at Qcool smiley...and would keep him off the market.

No-one thought he could do what he did last year...including Elway....but he did it. The guy will be a winner somewhere in this league....we could use a few winners on this roster.

Make the trade.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on Tebow
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 20, 2012 04:39PM

No. No. No. Just stop with this Tebow talk.

We are bringing in Tannehill and that's it.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 20, 2012 04:56PM

Who says you can't have both?

I wouldn't want Tannehill starting this Sept.

Would you?

IMO, draft Tannehill, groom him, and start the best veteran you have.

Tebow is a winner...Tebow in the Wildcat is a possibility.

We have struggled in the redzone. Tebow is awesome in the redzone. Use him in the redzone.

The NFL has always been an evolving sport. Positions change, styles change. Usually to make use of talent that doesn't fit the norm. teams that find a way to put talent on the field win.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: March 20, 2012 04:59PM

Tebow is a worse QB than well I won't go their hell no to Tebow.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 20, 2012 05:18PM

Worst idea ever. EVER.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 20, 2012 05:28PM

realist, if Finshady thinks he's worse than you know who-ton, you'd better pay attention. LOL.

But the reality is that Denver is now in a spot with Tebow. Everyone knows they HAVE to get rid of him. That puts Denver, the seller, in an underdog position. You can get him cheap.

For any team that brings in Tebow, however, particularly a Florida team, you are asking for "instant controversy."

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 20, 2012 05:37PM

Realist, I really like you as a poster........but you'd suck as a GM.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 20, 2012 05:55PM

We play the Pats twice every season, and they already figured out Tebow. They made him look silly. No thanks. There's enough of a circus going on with the Miami Dolphins.

Posted by: Offerdahl ()
Date: March 20, 2012 06:06PM

This thread is now about flavors of ice cream.

My favorite is java chocolate chip.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 20, 2012 06:42PM

personally, I don't think tebow is very good. but if Ireland acquires him, I am sure it will be the right move. I trust his judgment.

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: March 20, 2012 07:43PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Realist, I really like you as a poster........but
> you'd suck as a GM.

There's no way in HELL he can suck as bad as our curent GM...

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: March 20, 2012 07:55PM

Not gonna lie here..... But I am so sick of the Dolphins being so fn irrelevant for the past while I'd welcome Tebow just to get everyone talking about the Phins again.

We just got rid of our best deep threat receiver so why not bring in Tebow and have him run a wildcat run style kind of offense?

Could it be any worse than the mediocrity we have gone through the past 10 years?

Who knows? maybe the guy will actually learn how to throw the fn football properly in the near future!
Maybe we'll be the team that converts him to the RB or WR position for all we know!

Bring him in who really gives a flying fack anymore!

Just draft Tannehill in case the Tebow experiment at QB doesn't pan out!

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: March 20, 2012 08:06PM

This team needs divine intervention. Tebow's a bad QB but let's face it, he works on-field miracles.

I don't really think it's a good move, but I wouldn't flip out and renounce my fandom, either.

Posted by: cahokietim ()
Date: March 20, 2012 08:24PM

I am not a Tebow fan but the more I thought about a slightly different question......

What would Tehow be worth for Depth @ QB?
(I think Moore is our 2012 QB, regardless of Tebow or draft).

My vote would be 4th or 5th round value.

Realist poses a good question, if Denver feels they have to get rid of Tebow, it would be foolish to not determine a value (as they did with Flynn).

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: March 20, 2012 08:25PM

And if we could convince Tebow to come in and play H-Back, sign me up for that right now. I'd give up a third for that, no question. Kid brings a lot to a football team and I think he's a pretty damn good athlete, he could be real good in that position.

Posted by: mrd357 ()
Date: March 20, 2012 10:45PM

I have already posted several times that I want Tebow on my team, I do the trade too. Unfortunately, it seems to me the front office isn't really trying to bring winners on our team for some reason (at least right now during this time period).

One comment I will make. Yes the Patriots skull drug the Broncos and made Tebow look bad. But they went to the Superbowl. They were the best in the AFC. They made lots of teams look bad. Let's not over play the Patriot's figured him out thing, many teams figured him out, and still couldn't stop him.

I still think he wins out in a QB competition on this team right now. To me the positives outweigh the negatives. Good post Realist.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: March 21, 2012 03:36AM

I am neither a Tebow fan or a Tebow supporter. I have said it before, he is an oversized QB shouldabeen a tightend that can barely manage a spiral. This guy is a fluke....that is it! He'll be downgraded to a backup by next year.

If he was such a great player and worth betting the farm on, why did Denver dump him so quick...obviously for Manning but seriously.....he sucks

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: March 21, 2012 03:54AM

First, Denver will most likely keep Tebow. They know how to use him if Manning gets hurt again. Tebow will get better as time moves on so it makes sense for Den to keep him. They can't get squat for him anyway.
Second, the Pats beat Den in the playoffs cause the Den defense could not even come close to stopping them. They also stopped the Den running game. Put Tebow in that position and he and most QBs will suck.

No, I don't want Tebow here. I also did not want Manning. We really need to draft a good one whoever that mighht be.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: March 21, 2012 03:55AM

-Marino couldn't run a WC offense? eh? am I the only one that thinks he could have....VERY WELL?

-Tebow is right up Ross' alley Big time QB power in press coverage, ticket and jersey sales without having to pay for big money.

-Tebow isn't right for us at this time but hey, he took a team that looked like it would barely win a game and ended up taking it to a division championship and winning a playoff game. At this point I'd take that.

-I'd still rather see us keep Moore(we have done worse) and roll the dice on Tannehill or Weeden.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 21, 2012 03:59AM

No Teboew no Tannehill. Come out of the minefield, we just dodged one w/ Flynn and I would rather have Flynn than Tebow or Tannehill.

Date: March 21, 2012 05:41AM

Been coaching for 25 years.

Met lot's of people who have disagreed with some of my choices.

Every team I have ever coached has made it to the Championship within 3 years.

We won undefeated last year, went back to the Championship this year, My two MVP's were out of the game by half-time.

When my best OL happened to demonstrate great hands and good speed...he became my FB/HB/TE. It weakened our OL..we were patching that OL with undersized, less-athletic guys....I then installed an Spread Option with the 245 lb FB as the RB taking the inside runs and with a speedy QB going outside or throwing. The FB was nominated by opposing coaches to the region ALL-Star team.

Every once in a while...an athlete defies convention and creative coaches ignore convention.

Lawrence Taylor, Kellen Winslow, Slingin' Sammy Baugh, Deine Sanders, Joe Montana, change the game or at least presented a new option.

I GAURTANTEE that I could find a way to get Tebow on the field in a way that adds value. When you have a winner...you play him.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 21, 2012 05:45AM

Hey realist, there's a hot rumor going around that's it a little tougher coaching in the NFL then it is in Pop Warner.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 21, 2012 05:50AM

I have no probelm w/ Tebow Playin HB, TE, FB, SS, just don't want to invest in him as qb.

Date: March 21, 2012 06:01AM

realist Wrote:
> Been coaching for 25 years.
>
> Met lot's of people who have disagreed with some
> of my choices.
>
> Every team I have ever coached has made it to the
> Championship within 3 years.
>
> We won undefeated last year, went back to the
> Championship this year, My two MVP's were out of
> the game by half-time.
>
>
> When my best OL happened to demonstrate great
> hands and good speed...he became my FB/HB/TE. It
> weakened our OL..we were patching that OL with
> undersized, less-athletic guys....I then installed
> an Spread Option with the 245 lb FB as the RB
> taking the inside runs and with a speedy QB going
> outside or throwing. The FB was nominated by
> opposing coaches to the region ALL-Star team.
>
>
> Every once in a while...an athlete defies
> convention and creative coaches ignore
> convention.
>
> Lawrence Taylor, Kellen Winslow, Slingin' Sammy
> Baugh, Deine Sanders, Joe Montana, change the game
> or at least presented a new option.
>
> I GAURTANTEE that I could find a way to get Tebow
> on the field in a way that adds value. When you
> have a winner...you play him.

fire philbin, hire realist!!

Date: March 21, 2012 08:23AM

lol...yeah I know...I coach Senior High School.

So did Mike Sherman and Kevin Coyle, Holmgren did it for a decade.

And I wasn't actually saying that I am as good as GOOD NFL coaches....but I guaranteed that I would be able to find a way to get Tebow on the field in a positive way.

That being said.....if I hadn't found a rewarding career with the opportunity to coach...and started a family when I did? I think I could have pursued a professional coaching career...and I hink I would have done as well as or better than some of the clowns that came through the league.

Date: March 21, 2012 08:26AM

he'd probably be good for a few "rouges" a game, huh realist? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 21, 2012 09:51AM

Offerdahl Wrote:
> This thread is now about flavors of ice cream.
>
> My favorite is java chocolate chip.
>

Maybe you can go to offerdahls joint and have one of those.

Date: March 21, 2012 04:46PM

I'm sure he can kick.

Ironically, Doug Flutie won the Heisman, was dismissed as too small to play QB in the NFL, came to Canada had a great career, returned to the NFL and won many games...and then...while with the Pats...versus the Dolphins....scored by kicking a drop kick.

So while the NFL doesn't allow rouges....Tebow could probably drop kick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.