HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Why the Ireland haters?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why the Ireland haters?
Posted by: Phinvincible ()
Date: January 13, 2012 02:04PM

The guy was most vocal against drafting Pat White, he refused to give up Denver's ridiculous asking price for Orton. He drafted well last year and picked up some good FA's. He seems like a guy who is really thriving now he's out of Parcell's shadow. So why the hate?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why the Ireland haters?
Posted by: DA TRUUTH ()
Date: January 13, 2012 02:08PM

Ireland has a gift for selecting Quarterbacks...

Date: January 13, 2012 02:09PM

And when has he had the chance exactly?

Date: January 13, 2012 02:10PM

I don't remember him arguing against Chad Henne.

Posted by: ifShulaWasPrez ()
Date: January 13, 2012 02:11PM

these guys obviously dont remember how bad it was to have rick spielman as a gm . i think ireland has done a good job so far ..... we got a good team goin .

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 13, 2012 02:15PM

DA TRUUTH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ireland has a gift for selecting Quarterbacks...

Yeah!

(Except that he hasn't picked one yet)

Date: January 13, 2012 02:15PM

And that decision (which would've been BP's) is enough to warrant the hate? Don't think so dude & i'm not for 1 minute suggesting he's the 2nd coming of Ossie Newsome but I am encouraged by his body of work in 2011.

Date: January 13, 2012 02:19PM

Phinvincible Wrote:
> And that decision (which would've been BP's) is
> enough to warrant the hate? Don't think so dude &
> i'm not for 1 minute suggesting he's the 2nd
> coming of Ossie Newsome but I am encouraged by his
> body of work in 2011.

Ireland has shown some promise.

The last draft was his first, and it was pretty good.

As you pointed out he's made some good decisions on the deals he's passed on.

On the down side, he has the personality of a tree stump. And has occasion to put his foot in his mouth (re: Dez Bryant).

He's shown me enough to deserve a shot. But if he doesn't go get a franchise QB ASAP then he's not going to be here long.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 13, 2012 02:20PM

My only beef with Ireland, is that no coach...absolutely no coach, wants to work with or for Ireland.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: January 13, 2012 02:24PM

A&O - bet a young assistant wouldn't be as fussy

Date: January 13, 2012 02:33PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> My only beef with Ireland, is that no
> coach...absolutely no coach, wants to work with or
> for Ireland.

That's just not the case.

Fisher would have been more than happy to work with him provided he had final say over personnel.

This is NOT about Ireland with these established coaches we've been pursuing (Cowher, Gruden, Fisher). Its about CONTROL.

Those guys couldn't care less who does the contracts and the scouting provided they are competent at those tasks.

Coordinators don't have that kind of leverage. NONE of them are getting full control in whatever situation they take a HC gig.

You just need to let this play out.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 13, 2012 02:37PM

Truth,

Im not ruffled by the decision today. I figured from the get-go that Fisher would want to Coach in St. Louis, matter of fact, it has been me and you telling everybody how much of a better situation St. Louis is than Miami.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: January 13, 2012 03:24PM

Ireland is not the problem. Ross is the problem. He should have either cleaned house or kept what we had. Instead Ross is trying to piece a team together & no coaches are going to want to be handcuffed like that.

By removing Sparano the staff will dismantle like dominos. Daboll, Nolan etc.

Coaches have their alliances they want their staff and their GM.

Ireland is a good GM, Nolan is a good DC and Daboll was showing improvement. Keeping Sparano would have been better than losing everything but Ross couldn't keep Sparano after the shit he pulled trying to undercut him for Harbaugh. So now Ross has to deal with Karma and will have to start from scratch rather than filling one spot.

Date: January 13, 2012 03:28PM

Not sure what fantasy land some of you guys live in. Jeff Ireland's 2011 draft...

Mike Pouncey- I'm fine with that pick.

Daniel Thomas- did nothing, 3.5 yards per carry when healthy

Clyde Gates- boy, he's a real game changer, 2 catches for 19 yards

Charles Clay- average at best

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 13, 2012 04:41PM

DA TRUUTH Wrote:
> Not sure what fantasy land some of you guys live
> in. Jeff Ireland's 2011 draft...
>
> Mike Pouncey- I'm fine with that pick.
>
> Daniel Thomas- did nothing, 3.5 yards per carry
> when healthy
>
> Clyde Gates- boy, he's a real game changer, 2
> catches for 19 yards
>
> Charles Clay- average at best

Re Gates, he's primarily a kick returner. He returned 34 kicks averaging about 25 yards....that's not particularly horrible.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 14, 2012 03:30AM

DA TRUUTH Wrote:
> Not sure what fantasy land some of you guys live
> in. Jeff Ireland's 2011 draft...
>
> Mike Pouncey- I'm fine with that pick.
>
> Daniel Thomas- did nothing, 3.5 yards per carry
> when healthy
>
> Clyde Gates- boy, he's a real game changer, 2
> catches for 19 yards
>
> Charles Clay- average at best

LOL.

Posted by: DJNFINFAN ()
Date: January 14, 2012 03:39AM

I am not sure why you are such a fan of Ireland? #1 Ross seems to have blindly taken sides with this guy over a possible future coach which I think would have turned this franchise around. He has an unsettling arrangment with Ireland that seems to be unbreakable even at the peril of the Dolphins future. I for one do not like him and think not letting Fischer have the final say in Personnel was a mistake. I hope Ross can find a way to get us back on track despite his own allegiances to people who have failed us in the past.

seriously disconcerted

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 14, 2012 05:11AM

It's obvious that Ross's devotion to Ireland is detrimental to the future of this team. Enough as to where Carl Peterson has to try and woo any potential candidates for this job who are respectable, and the dude isn't even on the Dolphins payroll.

Ross & Ireland should fly to Hawaii to form their Civil Union to make it official & be done with it.

Date: January 14, 2012 07:16AM

Who's decision was it to start Henne over Moore? To stick with Henne no matter what until he took himself out? That wasn't Irlend. And Thats why Tony Turncoat is a Jet and we won the last 5 out of 7.

Irelend has not done that bad a job and Ross needs to show loyalty to someone after what he did last year.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 14, 2012 07:19AM

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Jeff Fisher told people he spoke with that he was so impressed with Jeff Ireland that he would hire him as his general manager if he could

Maybe Ireland isn't the problem some think he is?

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 14, 2012 07:32AM

I dont mind Jeff picking players, my problem isnt that, it is that he doesnt handle the players under contract properly..... He doesnt represent our organization well IMO.... Players on the team dont trust him. They also dont like how he has handled cutting players. First off the Dez Bryant, publicity mess. Benn sapp... Will Allen....Channing Crowder, who said Ireland cut him by text... Dansby and YB both confronted Ireland about how he handled it.... THose are our vets... They see how guys have been treated then didnt deserve to be treated, no matter the action of letting them go. Trust me Ireland is a bad influence on the team and those influences outweigh his ability to pick players IMO...

Date: January 14, 2012 07:36AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
> Jeff Fisher told people he spoke with that he was
> so impressed with Jeff Ireland that he would hire
> him as his general manager if he could

Great!!! That could be the best thing to happen to us, if Ireland went to work for Fisher, between those 2 guys, players would hate the organization and avoid it like the plague...lol

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 14, 2012 07:41AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I dont mind Jeff picking players, my problem isnt
> that, it is that he doesnt handle the players
> under contract properly..... He doesnt represent
> our organization well IMO.... Players on the team
> dont trust him. They also dont like how he has
> handled cutting players. First off the Dez Bryant,
> publicity mess. Benn sapp... Will
> Allen....Channing Crowder, who said Ireland cut
> him by text... Dansby and YB both confronted
> Ireland about how he handled it.... THose are our
> vets... They see how guys have been treated then
> didnt deserve to be treated, no matter the action
> of letting them go. Trust me Ireland is a bad
> influence on the team and those influences
> outweigh his ability to pick players IMO...

Well the proof will be in the pudding then (what does that cliche even mean???), if this player revolt is so widespread and widely known, we won't be able to sign any FA's this year, time will tell if he's that despised in inner NFL circles.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 14, 2012 07:42AM

You have to have a better option before you make a change, and top-tier GM's and personnel dudes don't grow on palm trees...

Ireland is a mixed bag, and has obviously had some missteps and wiffed on a number of picks, BUT at least he's (a) YOUNG and (b) seems to be dedicated to getting the job done. His eye for talent is yet to be truly proven...And I for one hope he's open-minded enough to learn from his mistakes and get more innovative in assessing talent. For example, a dude like Zach would never make the protractor draft grade - but JJ saw something and discounted the physical specs for football production...

As we know all too well around here, different isn't necessarily better. And even a dude like Polian shows you there's an arc to most of these guys careers - they are at their best when younger and "connected" with college sources and other viable channels.

Last, I'm not sure Ireland being here keeps some HC's away. I believe that's unsubstantiated opinion. But one thing is for sure, Ireland's future is linked to getting a really good HC and winning more than 8 games a season.

Date: January 14, 2012 07:52AM

To me the question is simple, Would any of you guys want to work for Ireland and trust him with you and your family's livelihood and that he has your back....

My answer is NO way in hell...

Date: January 14, 2012 07:59AM

add, trust in Ross, to that equation, and you have the problems facing our organization... It isnt the coach it is obviously the management IMO... If you dont trust the guy next to you or above you......nothing postive happens....it becomes about the individual not the collective....

Date: January 14, 2012 08:00AM

The truth is we don’t know all the inside stuff that went down regarding Baby T, but one thing is for sure, he was NOT up to being a top level NFL HC. In Ireland’s defense, he didn’t hire Sparano, that was Biggie T. So if it was obvious to us fans that Sparano was overmatched, then I’m assuming Ireland kind of got that as well. So in that case, the “back” Ireland has to protect is the Miami Dolphins, NOT Baby T. My opinion of course.

Now it’s a different matter in the WAY the situation was handled, which made Ireland look like a total weasel punk – which he MAY be, but he seems to be conducting himself more professionally at this point. So it is possible the dude can grow in the position and become one of the better GM’s in the league. Time will tell soon enough…

Date: January 14, 2012 08:06AM

I don't see where Ross has been so bad, outside of the Hairbrush caper last year.

Yea yea, I get the celeb things etc., but I believe the man is 100% committed to making this franchise a winner. Beyond that, I don't know the man personally so anything else is rather uninformed opinion at this point.

He supposedly had the GURU in Biggie T, and that was a disaster left over from the past. And that was by far the BIGGEST screw-over of this franchise - the classless greedy way Parcells milked millions for doing a crap job - and not even coming close to finishing what he started.

Bottom line, we're still recovering from his blunders...

Date: January 14, 2012 08:12AM

Ireland and our organization looked like a weenie publicly during the Dez Bryant debacle.. Players dont like that type of crap, that Ireland was accused of, and then apologized for...
Next you have the Harbaugh situation, we wanted Harbaugh, we lost out on him to a much worse team with no QB either, and no great draft pick...SO that excuse doesnt work as is being sold to us now. But the scenario does sound familar, doesnt it.... Then the backlash happened and damage control, to which hw they handled themselves... Attempting to negotiate and hire a coach while still having a guy under contract... Big weenie move again, and more public embarrassment... The move, further hurt Tony and created alot of distractions for the the organization and himself, based strictly on the actions of Ireland,Ross, and Peterson... Then a press conference, where they have t extend Tony's contract to get him to come back... Most considered him a lame duck by the actions of the management, no matter that they gave him a new contract...
Now add what has been suggested by players, I dont think the players are lying... If this is what you think makes you successful and worth keeping, I am honestly flabbergasted... I like Irleland football ability, but he is nothing more then a top scout, he has failed at everything else... So do you keep a guy as a GM, that has shown you what Ireland has shown us in the top football management position... Not me... He is a good employee, he has a problem with people... that means no management...

Date: January 14, 2012 08:21AM

I agree about having a better option, dont go off half cocked..I surely dont want Randy Mueller type of crap going on again...lol.. I wish we could take the power out of Irelands hands, it needs to happen and a strong coach, can force that situation.. That is why I would break the bank to convince Gruden to come coach for us..We need a move like that to happen....

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.