Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Could King Carl & Ross be eyeing Manning?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Could King Carl & Ross be eyeing Manning?
Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: December 20, 2011 03:59PM

King Carl traded for Montana at the age of 36 to shake up things in Kansas City. Manning will be 36 next year.

Carl Peterson had only a few playoff wins during his tenure and no superbowl wins, but he was noted for making the Hunt family rich.

All Miami fans seem to have QB on the brain ever since Dan Marino.
Ross needs butts in the seats.

Think how many jerseys and tickets the name Manning would bring.Then Peterson raises ticket prices and parking.

A quick way to make Ross rich quick designed by Peterson.

Ross gives the fans the biggest name QB he can find.

The marquee reads:Manning and the Miami Dolphins vs Brady and the New England Patriots.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Could King Carl & Ross be eyeing Manning?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 20, 2011 04:41PM

That would be totally consistent with the Dolphin ownership and totally asinine. When we should be grabbing a quarterback of the future, we get a quarterback of the past.

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: December 20, 2011 05:04PM

Ross is already one of the wealthiest owners in the league.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 20, 2011 05:20PM

I agree with ChyrenB. Peyton may still have a few good years left if he's able to return from his neck injuries, but to bet the farm on him under the circumstances is not prudent because it jeopardizes the Club's future. We need a youthful QB with 10+ years of prime time play in him.

Peyton is one of the greats. A HOFamer for sure. This is not the time for him to become a Dolphin or Raider etc. He needs to stay with the Colts.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 20, 2011 05:25PM

Hey, I'm fine with us keeping Moore, and signing manning...as long as we also draft a QB.

we gotta draft a Qb. irrespective of anything else ....we gotta draft a QB.

Hey! Sign Manning, trade Moore while his stock is up and draft a QB!

Date: December 20, 2011 05:47PM

I'm not advocating the move. I just think it fits perfectly into a Peterson type move.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 21, 2011 02:04AM

Uh........Peterson doesn't even work for the Dolphins........in case you missed that.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 21, 2011 03:01AM

Im all for it. If, and it's a big *IF*, we still go after one of the big QB's to groom under Manning.

If Manning is not a Colt, it means he will have been cut. They owe him $28 million, there only option is to pay him or cut him, no team will trade for him.

So, if he is here, it means he will have been cut, and we got him without giving up any picks.

If we get Manning, we will go to the AFC Championship next year if he is healthy. But I also want us to groom a young QB under Manning.

NOT MATT MOORE!

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 21, 2011 03:43AM

I agree A&O. In fact, I believe if we get Manning, shore up the O-Line, and land a good coach, we could be in the <gasp!> Superbowl next year! The AFC isn't that strong right now. NE has a suspect defense. Pitt and Baltimore are inconsistent. If we were in the NFC I'd say we probably wouldn't beat N.O. or G.B., but in the AFC it's entirely possible!

That is, unless we meet Tim Tebow in the playoffs smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 03:45AM by montequi.

Date: December 21, 2011 03:52AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Im all for it. If, and it's a big *IF*, we still
> go after one of the big QB's to groom under
> Manning.
>
> If Manning is not a Colt, it means he will have
> been cut. They owe him $28 million, there only
> option is to pay him or cut him, no team will
> trade for him.
>
> So, if he is here, it means he will have been cut,
> and we got him without giving up any picks.
>
> If we get Manning, we will go to the AFC
> Championship next year if he is healthy. But I
> also want us to groom a young QB under Manning.
>
> NOT MATT MOORE!

I think teams would trade for Peyton Manning. If somebody is after him they are going to trade to guarantee they get him. If he is just cut there will be a lot more competition for him. He is one of the most prolific passers in the game I'm sure he will bring some trade value.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 04:01AM by sleekdogg.

Date: December 21, 2011 04:15AM

It is already being reported that the Colts will release him, if something happens which will allow him to chose wherever he wants to go.

---------------------

Date: December 21, 2011 04:22AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> It is already being reported that the Colts will
> release him, if something happens which will allow
> him to chose wherever he wants to go.

Wow. I think there will be alot of suitors if thats the case. I think the colts could actually get something pretty good for him. Where do you think he would choose to go? A strong oline has to be a priority at this point for him.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 04:33AM by sleekdogg.

Date: December 21, 2011 06:48AM

I have no clue, but Im positive it will be to a contender that is a QB away.

---------------------

Date: December 21, 2011 09:37AM

I'm surprised A & O at your position. First off, you always said that the top priority is to get a young QB in THIS draft.

In order to get Barkley RGIII or even Landry Jones, you are going to need trading material.

Trading material you won't have if you have to deal with Indy for Peyton.

If Indy releases him and he is a friend agent then he becomes the enemy of our cap room so even if we DO have that opportunity, it could cut down on our ability to deal with potential draftees in positions OTHER than QB.

Secondly, even if Peyton is healthy for now, how fragile would he be next year. You might have the young QB (even if you could get him) learning from J. P. Losman.

Lastly, who is better for the ego of a young Barkley to be sitting behind and learning, Peyton Manning or Matt Moore.

You may not like Matt Moore, A & O, but I think most of the posters on this board would be uncomfortable with Peyton's ego on a young QB than Moore's lesser ego.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: December 21, 2011 10:07AM

chyren, im not sure what you mean with Peyton's ego. he would be ideal to learn from as he is a student of the game and seems to be an all around good person that would not begrudge a young QB of getting better. he is not brett favre.

however, i agree that we could not afford to get peyton. we don't want to trade for him and give up valuable trade assets. we are not so far under the cap that we can afford a 15 million dollars salary. we have other holes in the roster that money can be spent on and this FA has a lot of top unrestricted FA talent.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 21, 2011 10:34AM

manning will not be traded. first, no one will want to take on that huge salary. second, if indy decides to move on, they will let payton have ultimate freedom on going where he wants, which will mean making him a FA. and if he was a FA, why would he want to come here? I could see him in SF 1000 times over before he'd come and play for this crew.

Date: December 21, 2011 10:58AM

Posted by: jimmmyd3 ()
Date: December 21, 2011 11:47AM

Groom a young quarterback? Have you guys seen Dan Orlovsky play? No Thank you.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: December 21, 2011 12:47PM

i see your point chyren. i agree that he may be uncomfortable with the situation and that he has enough class to not make any fuss. i would assume that after being bounced in Indy for a hot shot rookie that he will choose a team that does not have a hot shot rookie anyways

Date: December 21, 2011 03:48PM

Yeah, he'd probably be looking at a team that is just one ingredient away where he could spend his last three years on top as opposed to getting the sh_t beat out of him while he tries to show a young QB the ropes.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 22, 2011 06:22AM

I have to respectfully disagree with chren here.........i think i would like to have that rookie qb learning from manning than learning from moore. Its like night and day.

About the egos everybody in the nfl have egos chren i know where you are coming from though. I understand your point.

Anyways i think the rookie qb could learn a whole lot more from payton than he is going to learn from moore who hasnt won a thing and is a 2nd string qb at best.

About cap wise yes that could be a problem...

Date: December 22, 2011 06:36AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Yeah, he'd probably be looking at a team that is
> just one ingredient away where he could spend his
> last three years on top as opposed to getting the
> sh_t beat out of him while he tries to show a
> young QB the ropes.

We definitely fall into that category. I think the 'Skins are further away than we are. Our issue is the coaching uncertainty. Who we get as coach will help determine a lot of this.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: December 22, 2011 07:17AM

I do not think Payton Manning will be the same QB he was before this last neck injury (I think he has had 3).

I would not give up too much for Payton as this point.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 22, 2011 08:42AM

A & ) - Im all for it. If, and it's a big *IF*, we still go after one of the big QB's to groom under Manning.

A kind of funny quote that came directly from manning a few weeks back, when a reporter asked him do you think you'll go into coaching.

Peyton said, well maybe some day,but so far my record is 0-11.

Thought it was a funny way to say that you can't coach someone who doesn't have the skill set and instincts to put the knowledge into action in real time

Date: December 22, 2011 08:56AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.