HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          bad feeling already.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
bad feeling already.
Posted by: realist ()
Date: August 15, 2011 05:03PM

I have a bad feeling about this season folks.

Chad Henne worked with these guys in the off-season, he was the leader, he knew the play-book, he came in with the guys 'following'. he should be on fire in practice and should be looking solid in the pre-season.

The fact that he has had ups and downs in practice scares the crap out of me. The first game I wasn't expecting much, but I had expected to read about Training camp highlights.

Our OL is a new group/ new mix. We did not run well against a mediocre run defense. Daniel Thomas didn't impress. Reggie Bush is an exciting guy...but is he an everydown back?

What scares me the most?

I think Sparano is great at setting tone, mood, environment, expectations, conduct etc., but, I haven't seen make timely decisions about roster changes. I am not sure he gets the most out of his guys.

I think back to when we learned that Cameron Wake wasn't getting snaps because Joey Porter wouldn't come off the field. That scares me.

I think back to when henne was not getting it done and Pennington was on the sideline. Sure Chad got hurt later...but the season was already shot.

I think about how poor the OC play-calling was and how Tony didn't make any decisive moves to fix it.

I am hoping that Parcells somehow was to blame, and now that he is gone maybe Tony will emerge a stronger, more decisive, and effective coach.

Hope so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bad feeling already.
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 15, 2011 05:08PM

I share your feelings. For an ex-O-Line coach, Sparano has put up with some really bad O-Line play. We have 3 1st round picks on the O-Line...but we still can't get it done. Hudson Houck did so much more with so much less.

So, if the one thing he was supposed to be an expert at is failing so bad, I have very little confidence he can do the rest well....except, perhaps, pump his fist after a FG angry smiley

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 15, 2011 05:38PM

we need to sign brian waters. why isn't this being considered?

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: August 15, 2011 07:13PM

Date: August 16, 2011 07:01AM

Tony is in a tough spot. If they do poorly he gets canned.

Drastic changes usually take time to create drastic improvements...But staying the course could also take too long.

I don't feel like Ireland has done a lot to help Tony. Matt Moore? Reggie Bush? Last year we jumped out and got Dansby. We traded for Brandon Marshall. This year we watch other teams go after the big names while we pick through the 'clearance' bin.

Is it possible that Ireland is letting Tony sink or swim ( likely sink) and wants to bring in someone else?

Are we seeing the transition to the team becoming Ireland's team?

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 16, 2011 07:21AM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 16, 2011 03:16PM

Keep in mind that any team putting in a new offense struggles at first. And that's in a normal offseason. Many times, it takes until October for a new offense to start clicking. In a normal offseason, the team would have had about 30 practices during OTAs. Those are missing. Henna had the offseason workouts. Yes. But, Marshall did not attend a single one of those. Neither did Reggie Bush. Daniel Thomas only attended a handful. Bess only attended a couple sessions per week. And Hartline attended Some, but also spent a large part of his offseason in Ohio. So, while Henne led these workouts, more often than not, it was with Lex Hilliard, Kory Sheets, and Roberto Wallace. And there were no coaches to offer any guidance or input. This is going to take awhile. People need to be realistic about that.

Date: August 16, 2011 03:27PM

I agree with that...but..I am wondering if Ireland is deliberately keeping the cupboard a little bare to hasten the change?

I didn't see any moves this off-season that truly addressed our needs.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 16, 2011 03:32PM

He would have to be a complete moron to do that. &e would be shooting himself in the foot in the process.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 16, 2011 03:32PM

While I agree with your points, it seems like other teams have stuff clicking a lot better. A new offense is a wrinkle, but if Chad H was working off a play-book...?...then why not use the plays he is most comfortable with?

I suppose some of those other teams could have been cheating...wouldn't be a surprise...but.....we looked awful compared to the Falcons, and several teams that look ready to go.

Date: August 16, 2011 03:37PM

who the hell is jeff ireland that he has this much job security? I think his good to horrible move ratio is like 50-50 at best, and he's never proven anything as a GM. He also seems to be to be a little weasely, stabbing sporano in the back and installing himself as ross's do-boy on that failed cross country flight. I mean, we passed on cowher b/c ross wanted to keep ireland as GM? what gives? I hope we have a great season, but if the OL crumbles yet again (after yet another high pick spent there), and the QB continues to be a black hole, then I think we need to clean house at the top and kick ireland to the curb. I mean, even Rick Speilman stumbled onto Wally Ogunleye. For every Cam Wake there is a John Jerry, Pat Turner, Pat White, Jake Grove, whatever his name is Murphy.
What do they say about stopped clocks?

Date: August 16, 2011 06:13PM

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: August 17, 2011 04:58AM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a bad feeling about this season folks.
>
> Chad Henne worked with these guys in the
> off-season, he was the leader, he knew the
> play-book, he came in with the guys 'following'.
> he should be on fire in practice and should be
> looking solid in the pre-season.
>
> The fact that he has had ups and downs in practice
> scares the crap out of me. The first game I wasn't
> expecting much, but I had expected to read about
> Training camp highlights.
>
> Our OL is a new group/ new mix. We did not run
> well against a mediocre run defense. Daniel Thomas
> didn't impress. Reggie Bush is an exciting
> guy...but is he an everydown back?
>
>
> What scares me the most?
>
> I think Sparano is great at setting tone, mood,
> environment, expectations, conduct etc., but, I
> haven't seen make timely decisions about roster
> changes. I am not sure he gets the most out of his
> guys.
>
> I think back to when we learned that Cameron Wake
> wasn't getting snaps because Joey Porter wouldn't
> come off the field. That scares me.
>
> I think back to when henne was not getting it done
> and Pennington was on the sideline. Sure Chad got
> hurt later...but the season was already shot.
>
> I think about how poor the OC play-calling was and
> how Tony didn't make any decisive moves to fix
> it.
>
>
> I am hoping that Parcells somehow was to blame,
> and now that he is gone maybe Tony will emerge a
> stronger, more decisive, and effective coach.
>
> Hope so.

The Dolphins were 7-9 last season, with a gimme Pitts, that would be in the 8-8 range, with a victory over GB too, and the Jets (for what that’s worth).

Four factors consistently have a high correlation to a team’s winning or losing in the NFL, they are turnovers, explosive plays, first-down efficiency, and red-zone efficiency.

Have the Dolphins improved in any of those areas?

If so, an (essentially) 8-8 team has improved.

Just think about the turnovers for a second, and all those INTs left on the field.

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: August 17, 2011 05:14AM

realist Wrote:
> I agree with that...but..I am wondering if Ireland
> is deliberately keeping the cupboard a little bare
> to hasten the change?

One goal, win the SB, this season.

> I didn't see any moves this off-season that truly
> addressed our needs.

Needed change at OC, needed a bonafide C (for years), needed fresh legs at RB, needed WO speed, needed offensive playmakers, needed someone to push Henne, and needed a developmental QB too.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 17, 2011 06:07AM

Date: August 17, 2011 06:14AM

if we had a QB we trusted would be good, we'd all have a pretty good feeling about this team. That's really all we lack, other than some solveable issues on the OL and TE and maybe RB.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 17, 2011 06:41AM

It’s virtually impossible to be a legit NFL team lacking a high-performance QB, and everyone knows that in the back of their mind, or smack in their face. Right now I think it’s fair to say we have the worst QB situation in our division, and one of the worst in the league. That by itself is reason for depression. In many ways we’re suffering “quarterback projectile dysfunction” (QPD). And if you’re not excited it’s not happening…

Date: August 17, 2011 07:10AM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 17, 2011 11:01AM

seadevil Wrote:
> realist Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have a bad feeling about this season folks.
> >
> > Chad Henne worked with these guys in the
> > off-season, he was the leader, he knew the
> > play-book, he came in with the guys 'following'.
>
> > he should be on fire in practice and should be
> > looking solid in the pre-season.
> >
> > The fact that he has had ups and downs in
> practice
> > scares the crap out of me. The first game I
> wasn't
> > expecting much, but I had expected to read
> about
> > Training camp highlights.
> >
> > Our OL is a new group/ new mix. We did not run
> > well against a mediocre run defense. Daniel
> Thomas
> > didn't impress. Reggie Bush is an exciting
> > guy...but is he an everydown back?
> >
> >
> > What scares me the most?
> >
> > I think Sparano is great at setting tone, mood,
> > environment, expectations, conduct etc., but, I
> > haven't seen make timely decisions about roster
> > changes. I am not sure he gets the most out of
> his
> > guys.
> >
> > I think back to when we learned that Cameron
> Wake
> > wasn't getting snaps because Joey Porter
> wouldn't
> > come off the field. That scares me.
> >
> > I think back to when henne was not getting it
> done
> > and Pennington was on the sideline. Sure Chad
> got
> > hurt later...but the season was already shot.
> >
> > I think about how poor the OC play-calling was
> and
> > how Tony didn't make any decisive moves to fix
> > it.
> >
> >
> > I am hoping that Parcells somehow was to blame,
> > and now that he is gone maybe Tony will emerge
> a
> > stronger, more decisive, and effective coach.
> >
> > Hope so.
>
>
>
> The Dolphins were 7-9 last season, with a gimme
> Pitts, that would be in the 8-8 range, with a
> victory over GB too, and the Jets (for what
> that’s worth).
>
> Four factors consistently have a high correlation
> to a team’s winning or losing in the NFL, they
> are turnovers, explosive plays, first-down
> efficiency, and red-zone efficiency.
>
> Have the Dolphins improved in any of those areas?
>
> If so, an (essentially) 8-8 team has improved.
>
> Just think about the turnovers for a second, and
> all those INTs left on the field.

The Fins led the NFL in dropped interceptions, with over 20. And a number of those could have been returned for TDs. Those are huge momentum swinging plays. Off the top of my head, I believe we had pick-6 dropped INTs in the losses to Buffalo, Cleveland, and Detroit. Combine those with the Pittsburgh game, and it's not hard to envision 2-3 more wins, maybe 4, with nothing to do with the offensive side of the ball at all.

Dropped interceptions, on both sides of the ball, may have held the key to the whole 2010 season. Chad Henne had one potential INT dropped all season, lowest in the NFL. No other QB had fewer than 4 drops, and the NFL average was 6 (Mark Sanhcez had 15!). Combine that on offense with the two dozen dropped INTs on defense, and you are looking at a very different season.

Date: August 17, 2011 12:47PM

True, and fair enough that he acquired talent for the long term.

But I didn't see any free agency moves that might help Tony Sparano in his 'win now' predicament.

I never suggested he is tanking the season. But maybe he is building for the long term, and is not going to mortgage ANY of the future to help Tony out.

Date: August 17, 2011 01:33PM

ok, fair enough.

but I guess after reflecting what I see is that Ireland is staying the course and building the team through the draft and picking up pieces in free agency...with the long term in mind.

What I haven't seen is big free agency moves with a 'win now' feel.

Tony Sparano is on the 1 year hot seat. Jeff is helping....but not mortgaging the future to do so.

So I guess my late night speculation was a bit hasty...but...Jeff isn't sticking his neck out for Tony.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 18, 2011 04:56AM

I would agree with that wholeheartedly. The most glaring perceived need was only addressed marginally, in the opinion of most of us (myself included). And, it's a need that could have been addressed for 'win now', or at least a good attempt at 'win now'.

My perspective has evolved over the past several years to the place where I believe a team can only go so far without a good-to-great QB...no matter what the rest of the team looks like. Conversely, a great QB can cover a multitude of shortfalls throughout the rest of the team.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: August 18, 2011 07:26AM

I hope we dont get embarassed in our first game with the PATS on Monday night football

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: August 18, 2011 07:30AM

How did I know you were gonna talk about the pats!?!?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 18, 2011 08:08AM

It's 100% certain Billygoat will have some tricks ready to bait Henne into a Pavlov’s dog response and bite on some underneath stuff where a LB drops unexpectedly. And he’ll also have his FS locked-in on Henne’s stare-downs and jump routes accordingly.

IMO the key to this game will be to get Billygoats D stoned before the game by inhaling the fact we’re going to start Henne. Once their high on that possibility we hookah them by starting Moore. This surprise move, albeit somewhat considered by Billygoat, will give us a few series of unexpected productivity and force the hobo attired cranky cheater HC to adjust. In anticipation of the goats counterpoint we will revert to the Wildcat and play ostrich on the field for a while – just long enough for Brady to polish his nails and score a TD or two.

In the fourth segment of the game the brilliance of our coaching staff will have a chance to dim. But I expect a critical sack of Brady and a subsequent fumble recovery run in by Soliai for a TD to save the game.

On the other hand, if we invert our surprise attack scenario and start Henne, it’s quite possible he will be literally booed out of the eastern time zone by midway Q3.

Seriously. This is a big game right out of the gate.

BNF.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 18, 2011 08:42AM

The Pats have had a habit of starting slow in the past. We can take advantage of that.

Date: August 18, 2011 08:58AM

agreed.

How long have we struggled since Marino was pushed out by Wanny?

The only glimpses of high level play came by guys at the end of their careers in Trent Green and Chad Pennington.

Think of all the 2nd round picks we spent on QBs.

We passed on Brees in the first round. We got Chambers in the 2nd round of that draft. We could have had them together and then spent draft picks on other positions. We would have 10 years worth or drafting Best Athletes instead of 10 years of gambles, and busts.

Maybe Ireland is positioning for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. ( not by tanking, but by saving his ammo)

Glad they didn't trade for Orton. Hoping Henne clicks this year.

Date: August 18, 2011 09:03AM

Yes it is!

The key will be pressure on Brady. Get him to the ground early and he folds his tent. He bitches to the refs, pouts, looks at rushers instead of receivers. If we don't get to him early? Our offense has not shown that it can hold it's own in a shoot-out. That spells trouble.

Who knows, maybe we can get a pick 6 from the D, and a PR/KR TD? That would help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.