Home
THIS SITE
  About Phins.com
  Contact Us
  Staff
TEAM NEWS
  Team Info
  Twitter Feeds
  News Wire
  XML News
  Subscribe using any news reader
  News Articles
  Mobile News
  On Porpoise
GAMES
  Schedule
PERSONNEL
  Roster
  Depth Chart
  Training Camp
  Draft
FOR THE FANS
  Forums
  Places To Watch
  Dolphins Links
  Game Tickets
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute
  News Archive
  Past Games
  Transactions
  Past Rosters
SUPPORT PHINS.COM
  Dolphins Fan Shop
  Phins.com Apparel
 
-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com
 
  Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          malllet
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: malllet
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 12, 2011 08:39AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OMG this subject just makes me so sad.
>
> I honestly can't believe we passed on this kid. We
> deserve to suffer, and Mallet is in a great spot
> to develop into a Fin killer.
>
> Drafting him at that value spot is EXACTLY the
> type of move winners are built on. We, on the
> other hand, find ways to leverage mediocrity into
> more of the same.
>
> Just awful.

RESPONSE: It should say something to the rest of you when Henne's chief hater and Henne's chief supporter agree on the bottom line of what we should have done.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 12, 2011 09:02AM

ChyrenB

I admire the fact you are willing to hedge your bet and not put any one player ahead of the team. You’ve made a number of legit points regarding Henne, some that I feel border more on the excuse level, but you’re just being a loyal fan your way.

For me, I’ve already seen enough, and can project what I’ve seen in the future with Henne at helm. I simply have no faith in his development and there’s no way I see him as a long-term solution. So here is precisely where we agree – we absolutely should have hedged our bet and drafted the best QB prospect we could get – and then let things play out from there. In fact I wanted to hedge our hedge and draft at least 2.

For those who believe there were NO QB PROSPECTS worth taking a chance with – it’s a virtual guarantee that perspective will be proven dead wrong. And more than that, so much of this depends on where a kid lands. In Mallet’s case – he’s in a very healthy place to learn and grow and become a real professional. Could he bomb? For sure. But it’s simple-minded to believe there’s a sure-fire way to predetermine how these kids are going to respond to the NFL game. There’s NO formula.

But one thing is for sure. Doing ZERO and expecting some great result is just stupid.

BNF.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 09:03AM by BigNastyFish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 09:56AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 10:05AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Fin fan24 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 10:48AM

I have one question for the people who are praising Mallet did any of you watch him over his college career.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 10:55AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Fin fan24 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 11:37AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fin fan24 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have one question for the people who are
> > praising Mallet did any of you watch him over
> his
> > college career.
>
>
> I did.
>
> He was fantastic. He dominated the best
> conference in the nation in both his seasons as a
> starter (Sophomore and Junior years).

He was good against the weaker avg against the rest of the teams on their schd. He had a knack of throwing int's in critical situations, and against good teams. He was the 3rd rated qb in the conference behind Newton and Mcelroy. He also had some off field issues.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 11:39AM by Fin fan24.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Date: August 12, 2011 12:20PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry guys, but this is an absolute ridiculous
> thread.
>
> Who givs a flying fudge about the gaytriots or any
> of their players.
>
>
> Go post his stats on the patsies board, and keep
> this shite off of ours!!




OK.........I'm gonna keep it together and not get banned from here..........

But I'm going outside and I'm going to scream the "F" word loud and clear......... then we get to watch this group of newly formed 3 stringers tonight screw up what could have been another great oppourtunity for the Dolphins to win , had they had the Balls to draft a decent QB instead of shopping others peoples Junk..........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 12:33PM

Treasure,
dont expect alot tonight or read anything into it, Sparano is playing this game like a practice, just basic vanilla, to get players reps, he could care less if we win or lose tonight, based on the circumstances that the players have had about 60 percent of the practices they normally have by the first preseason game, on top of that we are installing a new offense...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 12, 2011 01:21PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > No...what I'm saying is that he's a kid with the
> best skills in the draft in the last 10 years at
> the single most important position in pro sports.
> If you have a need at that position (we did/do)
> AND you find so many disturbing things wrong with
> him off the field that you cannot take him at #15
> then you probably shouldn't draft him at all.

RESPONSE: Okay.

1. Let's suppose that you do rate him the number 1 quarterback and that quarterback is a position of need.

2. However, you have an even greater need, offensive center. You rate Pouncey and the second coming of Jim Langer and you rate Mallett as being, well, maybe a Darryl Lamonica.

3. Now let's suppose that WONDER OF WONDERS!!!! You choose to take Pouncey at 15 but come the second round, BY GOD! MALLETT IS STILL AVAILABLE.

Question: Why in the world by anyone's logic that you do NOT take Mallett just because you didn't take him at 15?

All that's happened is that you got lucky.

How is it a reflection of anything but your assessment of him that he was still available at the second round.

So, logically, either you are saying that you didn't rate him high enough for a second round.....or Running back was a position of greater need.....or You just didn't like him as a player.. ......or you are letting the opinion of other teams dictate what you do and you don't want to take him because he shouldn't have lasted that long as witnessed by the teams that passed on him.

So you are still back to the question of WHY you didn't draft him and that question can't be answered by the fact that he was still available in the second round unless you let other teams do your thinking for you.

If you do, then that's a nice thing for the other 31 teams in the NFL to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 01:35PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 02:13PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 12, 2011 03:02PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 04:21PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 12, 2011 05:24PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 12, 2011 05:26PM

Does anybody else see the irony in this? Henne's biggest supporter (Chyren), is ticked off that we didn't draft his succesor in Mallet......Mallet's biggest supporter (Phinsfan2), is seemingly OK in the fact that we didn't draft Henne's succesor in Mallet........Bizzaro world!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 05:43PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 05:51PM

Phinsfan, I thought your point about Mallet was you take him at 15 unless you think he's such a character issue you don't want him at your team at all, in which case you take him off your board and don't take him anywhere in the first 4 rounds, if at all. Are you saying something different? i.e, if he's not good enough to be a QB you'd pick in the 1st or 2d round, then he's not worth taking? If it's that, I don't buy it

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Date: August 12, 2011 06:02PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Treasure,
> dont expect alot tonight or read anything into it,
> Sparano is playing this game like a practice, just
> basic vanilla, to get players reps, he could care
> less if we win or lose tonight, based on the
> circumstances that the players have had about 60
> percent of the practices they normally have by the
> first preseason game, on top of that we are
> installing a new offense...


Something tells me , Tony would have liked the very first pass attempt to have been anything but another INT. That one was not Henne's fault, but he soon made up for it with one that clearly was. thumbs down


How did mallet do again? confused smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 06:15PM

I was pissed when we passed on Mallett and still highly am....it's a little early but watchin Mallett in his first patsie game did not help....and then to watch Henne throw 2 pics....where's the tums!!

Mallett looked very sharp with his throws as a rookie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 07:28PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 12, 2011 11:47PM

Quick question from (possibly - sort of tough to follow the thread) a different perspective.

If franchise QB is so incredibly valuable - and that value transcends team - why would NE have waited until the 3rd round to pick Mallet instead of picking him with a pick they had in the top 45?

Some NE-specific factors:
(1) they have a franchise QB who will probably be near the top of his game for the next couple years at least
(2) they had more pressing needs than QB on their team
(3) perhaps they don't consider him to be a potential franchise QB (though I have a tough time with that perspective)

Based upon the statistical probabilities, they were either drafting a backup/dev QB who - if he ends up being any good - will likely benefit another team or they are trying to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

It might be, though, that they consider him to be a potential franchise QB but determined that they would not pick him in the top 45 due to rumors or whatever.

But, if he's a true potential franchise QB, he should have been picked in the top 45 because, even if a franchise has their guy already, they should be able to trade him for a nice return even if they picked him at pick 56 (which they used on a Cal Rcool smiley.

I'd be interested in others' perspectives...
- Do they feel he's only a backup QB?
- Do they feel that statistical probabilities don't apply to them?

My own perspective is that they took a 3rd-round chance on a 1st-round talent/potential franchise QB because they're shrewd and they were in a good position to take that chance. And, I don't think it was an illogical choice, necessarily.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 13, 2011 03:31AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 13, 2011 04:00AM

My problem with the Mallett argument is that, there will not be an answer for most likely quite sometime. In a system that has churned out late Rd Qb's into franchise players like Brady and kind of Cassell..
Even if he does turn into the next Cassell or Brady, was it the Nature of the player drafted or the nurture and development of that Qb since draft day...
Either way its is likely years before we know, barring a Brady injury. So it is like arguing which came first the chicken or the egg.... When you dont even know if you have a chicken or an egg yet...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 13, 2011 04:05AM

I basically agree. However, I think it brings a new dynamic to the "top-45 or why bother" perspective. The wrinkle might be that if you have a franchise QB, you can legitimately look for a franchise QB that slips to 46+...if you don't, then you should look almost exclusively for him at <45.

Also, I think Belichek makes these kinds of contrarian moves and sort of operates in his own space (think Cassel). There are a good handful of teams that have franchise QBs who could have done this, but they didn't.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 13, 2011 04:11AM

Crowder - I was thinking the same thing as I wrote the longer post. I think they do think Mallet has franchise QB potential. If he truly does, he should have been drafted in the top 45 by any logical GM. However, if he spends a couple years behind Brady and then develops into one, no one will ever know for sure if he was coming out of college or not. I don't think anyone can argue that he doesn't have the physical tools.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: August 13, 2011 07:05AM

This is why we will be a 3rd tier team in the AFC, we dont draft a good QB. Lets hope we go to the bottom and pick up Luck and Cowher next season, truly my hopes

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 13, 2011 07:19AM

Luck and Nolan maybe, Ireland's not going anywhere IMO.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: Fin fan24 ()
Date: August 13, 2011 01:23PM

Ok after last night I am not going to argue anymore our qb play is atrocious I am not going to say Mallet is the answer but what we have is complete garbage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: malllet
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 15, 2011 05:29AM

How in the world can we say mallet is the answer after 1 pre season game and probably against backups.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England
TOP
   
© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.