HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Orton officially on the block
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Orton officially on the block
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 27, 2011 08:51AM

Awesome...let the season begin!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phins NJ ()
Date: July 27, 2011 12:27PM

he's worth a third in every way.

i say bring him in.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: July 27, 2011 01:38PM

profootballfocus.com graded Chad Henne as the 16th best QB in the league last season. They graded Kyle Orton at #22. They would have been neck and neck, but Orton received a much larger negative grade for penalties (8 for Orton versus just 2 for Henne).

When you look at pass protection, it's important to note where pressure came from. Jake Long is a fantastic player. The Dolphins' guards and centers combined to allow 9 sacks, 15 QB knockdowns, and 52 pressures. That is a lot of pressure up the middle. And pressure up the middle is much more difficult on a QB to handle. And considering Miami used 5-step drops on 95% of passing plays, it's an even bigger problem.

It should also be noted that with 5 step drops, you're not going to get a lot of deep ball attempts.

From profootballfocus.com, Dolphins' QBs were pressured 131 times in 2010. Denver QBs were pressured 146 times. Not a huge difference.

3rd down and 3-7 yards to go stats:
Orton- 54 attempts, 26 completions, resulting in 23 first downs, 2 TD, 4 INT, 7 sacks, passer rating of 45.8

Henne- 55 attempts, 39 completions, resulting in 35 first downs, 4 TD, 0 INT, 6 sacks, passer rating of 119.7

Overall 3rd down stats
Orton- 120 attempts, 60 completions, resulting in 39 first downs, 3 TD, 5 INT, 16 sacks, passer rating of 58.0

Henne- 142 attempts, 81 completions, resulting in 60 first downs, 7 TD, 7 INT, 12 sacks, passer rating of 73.0

People complain about Chad Henne checking down? Look at Orton. 60 completions on 3rd and 3-7 yards to go, and only 39 resulted in a 1st down? Those 3rd down stats from Orton are awful. Downright awful. On 1st and 2nd down, he's really good. On 3rd down, he is brutal.

I am all for Orton competing with Henne. But, it is no slam dunk that Orton wins a fair competition. Remember, this is a veteran QB who has been around putting up those awful stats on 3rd down. 3 years into Orton's career, his stats were much worse than Henne's.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: July 27, 2011 03:07PM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: July 27, 2011 03:12PM

I am not fooled for one second that Henne was probably working with Daboll on some sort of level during this lockout.

Ireland is a sleeze ball and he is willing to break rules. Pretty sure Henne and Daboll worked togethor.

JMO.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: July 27, 2011 03:18PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
>
> This is where the lockout hurts us.
>
> Had we had Henne working with Daboll and the staff
> all off-season we'd have a much better idea
> whether or not he's capable of taking a big step
> forward this year in this offense. And therefore
> have a better grasp on if we need a better option
> or a backup.
>
> The truth is that Orton might not be a slam dunk
> to beat out Henne, and the truth is that we have
> no choice but to go get him if the price is
> reasonable to increase our odds of getting
> competent QB play this year.
>
> sad smiley

I actually think this is a reason why we're apparently so hot for Orton. Daboll grew up with the Pats, just like McDaniels. It would not surprise me if their systems are similar. So, Orton may make a lot of sense in that regard.

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: July 27, 2011 03:46PM

Also keep in mind that Henne has a reputation for being a very unintelligent QB. I've seen his mental capability oft compared to a "bag of rocks".

I don't know about you, but I don't want my QB to be the dumbest guy on the team.

Date: July 27, 2011 04:05PM

Krunk Fu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also keep in mind that Henne has a reputation for
> being a very unintelligent QB. I've seen his
> mental capability oft compared to a "bag of
> rocks".
>
> I don't know about you, but I don't want my QB to
> be the dumbest guy on the team.

This isn't true at all. Henne's intelligence has never been considered an issue. And he makes excellent pre-snap reads. His stats while being blitzed are better than his overall numbers. That's because he identifies it well and makes the appropriate read. Sparano has pointed out over and over how well Henne makes the correct read.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: July 27, 2011 04:16PM

All over Twitter that the trade is worked out but they can't agree on a contract yet.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 27, 2011 04:39PM

I believe compensation has been worked out but a contract is being negotiated. Rumor is he wants north of 6 mil a year which is not bad for a qb not named Henne.

Also...Ireland has sworn agents to secrecy regarding all negotiations. I think a lot is in the works and I know think Starks is going to Denver bc they need a 43 DT.

This is going to be a great season!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: July 27, 2011 04:43PM

starks for orton is a bad deal. a pro bowl DE for a player who worth is considered to be a 3d rounder? no way. are we going to get hosed yet again??

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: July 27, 2011 04:47PM

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.