HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          what grade do you give our draft?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
what grade do you give our draft?
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 30, 2011 06:57PM

Poll
What grade do you give our draft?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
23 votes were received.
A 3

13%
B 10

43%
C 5

22%
D 5

22%
F 0

0%

I'll give us a B. We got an immediate starter at C which we needed and can help the OL big time, a starting if not exciting RB, a speedy WR which we desperately need. I'd have rather had Virgil Green and some other guys and I think the 7th rounders were kind of a waste given that they probably wouldn't be drafted, but all and all a solid, if very safe and not game changing draft.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what grade do you give our draft?
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 30, 2011 06:58PM

The RB will be a bust. We'll end up with a solid Center (not sure if he'll live up to #15 status) and a decent deep-threat WR. That's it.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 30, 2011 07:24PM

To early to tell. Hopefully Pouncey will be there for 10 years. Gates & Thomas success (as well as Ingram & Mallet) will be the true measure of this draft

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: April 30, 2011 07:36PM

I really liked what they did. It is the 1st time I remember the Dolphins selecting players I was hoping for. We definitely found some quality players in positions of need. The more I learn about him, the more I like this Clay kid. I really wanted DJ Williams, but I am pleased with Clay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2011 01:21PM by Jonathan Twilley.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 30, 2011 07:44PM

I think we did everything we should have.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 30, 2011 07:53PM

I think we screwed up in the sense that I would rather have Ingram as the best running back than Pouncey as the best center.

I think we could have gotten our other picks WAY later than we got them and we should have grabbed Mallet and if not then at least Stanzi.

I think we traded the family cow for a bag of magic beans.

(only the beans aren't magic.)

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: April 30, 2011 08:53PM

F.....take the 3rd best RB when you could have had the best...bad move.
Passing on Mallett and possibly having another QB kill us for another decade after Brady is done....stupid. Being safe and ending up with no end in site of losing seasons because we dont have the guts to pick who it takes to win in the draft....idiotic!

Shula would have had the guts to take Mallett like he did with Marino but I guess these clowns would have preferred taking a center over Marino!

Pittsburg took a lineman over Marino.....we just dont get it!

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 01, 2011 03:57AM

I agree Phinkiss (but for different reasons), I give em an F. We reached for Kearse at #231 when we could of easily got him at pick #235, based on that alone these guys are clueless clowns!

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: May 01, 2011 04:08AM

YOU johnny-come-lately daft analyst are DUMB. This is the best DRAFT we've had since .... ZT and JT

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: May 01, 2011 05:25AM

I think it was a GOOD draft (cool smiley. The O-line was my big concern from last season and it was addressed with the first pick. I would have liked to see another guard taken later but that can be done in free agency later. I'm glad that the offense was the focus.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: May 01, 2011 05:36AM

Based on what I think we should have done, and could have done, along with the blindingly glaring fact that we passed on every QB, and threw darts at the board in the end, grade D.

Somehow Ireland found a way to make our deficit in R2 BIGGER and seemingly we were behind the 8-ball the entire draft. I do not believe that Pouncy has vastly superior talent to the C/G’s we could have landed in R2 (with a trade down). Guaranteed there was a trade-down opportunity for us in R1 and we missed it.

The best thing you can say about this daft is that Ireland didn’t burn any 2012 picks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 05:39AM by BigNastyFish.

Date: May 01, 2011 06:01AM

I'll grade it a B
I loved it

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: May 01, 2011 06:08AM

I gave it a D. While Pouncey is a good player at a position of need we needed to get a QB plain and simple. None of the F/A's out there are worth what it'll take to get them (Kolb) and most are not worth getting in the first place. (Palmer, Young, Orton, McNabb)

We needed to take a QB as a hedge against the future and because we only have one on the roster right now,,,Brandstater I don't even count and Thigpen will likely leave if given the chance to. This front office (and the past few as well) continue to show how short sighted they are because they refuse to draft and then spend the time to develop QB's.

Thomas I actually like as a player but he's a bit of a project and we could of had a sure thing...the thing that makes me the most upset about this pick though is that we didn't follow it up with another RB who has some serious speed...the obvious guy would have been Mario Fannin...he has great size, power and blazing speed and would have been a great compliment to the passing game as well. Yes he was a bit raw but as an immediate third down back and a compliment to Thomas he was perfect for us...and we passed.

On Gates the jury is still out...I don't think he'll start day one. And I don't think he's big enough to do what we need him to do...I'd much rather have had Demarious Thomas last year and used the pick this year on another RB or a QB.

Clay is versatile but not nifty or fast enough...if you want an FB/TE/H-Back that can get down the seam in the passing game he needs to have some wheels to go along with his size and other physical attributes.

Kearse and Wilson will simply be lucky to make the roster....we could have used another RB WR/KR or a even a developmental QB project more with these picks.

I understand the logic in these picks and they each represent a team need. But, I question if they represent the biggest team needs and whether they represent the need for future talent or simply the positions we needed (to save jobs) right now.

Date: May 01, 2011 06:42AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The RB will be a bust. We'll end up with a solid
> Center (not sure if he'll live up to #15 status)
> and a decent deep-threat WR. That's it.

THIS. sad smiley

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: May 01, 2011 06:44AM

I like Smith, and think he is a steal to nab. If he didnt go postal on some butthole, then he would have been a mid round possibly third round pick on talent alone.

Kearse I like the pick, another NT however we could have drafted NVM on that.

We traded up to get Thomas, because Ireland was scared that somone would take him?

Seriously stupid move, which costed us a QB.

I think we should have traded down in the first. I know somone out there would have offered somthing, and we should have taken it, then we wouldnt had to trade up to get Thomas.

I'm glad we took a C and I hope he is a HOF type of player.

Mr Gates will contribute from day on at PR/KR and I hope he develops into Mike Wallace.

I am inbetween a D and a C on this one.

Im not a fan of Clay I just think he is too slow to really do anything great, ok he has hands, I guess he is perfect for mr check down Henne, so hey maybe this will turn out better than we think lol.

I don't know I'm not pissed, however I am dissapointed.

Ireland better get Mike Sim's Walker, or Vincent Jackson this well will there be a offseason?

Date: May 01, 2011 07:06AM

So the guy thats for a lower salary cap wants us to go out and spend a ton of money on another receiver, who do you want to start cutting from the D to pay for this?

Date: May 01, 2011 07:11AM

Baker, Trade Merling, Cut Clemons, trade Carey start Garner Cut either Thomas, or Berger whoever dosnt win.

Trade Crowder sign Herzlich, and let Dobbins, Edds take his place in the mean time.

Dont sign Brown.

Man you could do alot. Besides lower cap will be grandfathered in.

Date: May 01, 2011 07:24AM

Thank god you're driving a truck and not a general manager.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: May 01, 2011 08:40AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> I like Smith, and think he is a steal to nab. If
> he didnt go postal on some butthole, then he would
> have been a mid round possibly third round pick on
> talent alone.

I assume you are talking about Wilson.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 01, 2011 09:40AM

And don't forget, we got Danny Thomas so that we can lengthen, (not shorten), the life of the "wildcat" on this team. A team whose losses are largely due to overdoing the wildcat.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 02, 2011 11:49AM

B

Date: May 02, 2011 12:07PM

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: May 02, 2011 12:39PM

Jonathan Twilley Wrote:
> Mia1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I like Smith, and think he is a steal to nab.
> If
> > he didnt go postal on some butthole, then he
> would
> > have been a mid round possibly third round pick
> on
> > talent alone.
>
> I assume you are talking about Wilson.

LOL SMITH? SEAN SMITH wtf are you talking about? Jimmy Wilson lol

Date: May 02, 2011 12:43PM

Lol eye popping smiley Good catch man I WAS emotionaly disstraught at the time, yes Mr Wilson is what I ment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.