Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Does Marshall's latest incident change our draft focus?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Does Marshall's latest incident change our draft focus?
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 24, 2011 05:49AM

Even before this we would have likely taken a couple of receivers and RB, QB & OL. We have some WR depth just need a playmaker and a QB that can hit them.

Mallet? Dalton? Yates?

I expect we could add a Vince Young or maybe Mark Bulger or Billy Volek to let the draft pick learn under and sign a Deangelo Williams or other FA RB.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does Marshall's latest incident change our draft focus?
Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 24, 2011 06:04AM

Yeah great idea bringing crap to learn from except for Bulger.

No this shouldnt affect anything, because they have been planning this for month's, and will not allow anything to f it up.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 24, 2011 06:12AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 24, 2011 07:44AM

but phinsfan, marshall is just one more personal conduct violation from a 1 year suspension, and we don't know how this will play out. if "bad" facts come out about this BM could be gone for the season even if we don't currently have plans to cut him (which we don't)

Date: April 24, 2011 07:54AM

Now we definitely NEED a QB! Brandon helps make mediocre QB's look good. Without him we are doomed unless we get an accurate flame thrower........

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: April 24, 2011 09:56AM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 24, 2011 10:39AM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 24, 2011 10:42AM

Not only does Marshall have this incident to worry about as far as the personal conduct policy, he's also going to be facing a civil lawsuit from his ex-girlfriend for attacking her with knife. CBS Sportsline reported this yesterday. He's expected to be asked for a deposition as early as this week. This is from an incident where no charges were ever filed, but police did observe a noticeable cut on her thigh. Originally, she told police she cut herself. But, when Marshall returned home an hour later, he began punching her again, and she called police and told them that Marshall had been the one who cut her earlier. She testified to this series of events in a trial that Marshall faced for a different battery charge.

So, if either of these goes poorly for Marshall, he could definitely be looking at a 1 year suspension. Personally, I believe that the Fins will cut ties with Marshall while they can do it fairly cheaply. If they keep him this season, an additional $15M in guaranteed money kicks in. That could result in a crushing salary cap hit if Marshall gets into trouble down the road (almost a guarantee). They can get out from under his contract for $3M, freeing up $6.5M in 2011 that they could spend in free agency.

I doubt we will hear anything this week, because they have no reason to play their hand now. But, if we take Julio Jones at #15, or take a Leonard Hankerson or Jonathan Baldwin later, the writing is on the wall. They've been looking at speedsters who can get deep and help in the return game. If they go with a big receiver early, Marshall's days in Miami are numbered.

The biggest thing here is the financial commitment to Marshall, and if he can be counted on. There was no salary cap this year, but there will certainly be one in the new CBA. If you have $10M per year tied up in Marshall, it's devastating if he gets suspended or winds up in jail. He's not a team player and he's not the downfield threat the offense needs. I think they will get out of this bad deal before it becomes a worse deal. This isn't market value for Marshall. Do you think any other team out there is going to throw $10M a season at this guy now? Now that he has proven that his problems with coaches weren't limited to Josh McDaniel, and that his problems with domestic violence weren't limited to the ex-girlfriend, and on the field, he showed a lot less ability to get separation, why would anyone pay him that kind of money?

Date: April 24, 2011 11:21AM

Agree with Dolfanmark

Reality is the Phins have an opportunity to release him cheap. I always have been willing to take risk and give players a second chance, remember Lawrence Phillips?, but reality has been with players like this, things never work out and they never seem to be away to clean up their act.

Although our QB's sucked last year Marshall could be viewed as a bust and didn't help like we thought, and made stupid mistakes like in the Chicago game, and injuries have reduced his speed. Smells like Randy Moss II?

I think we have 30 days from when the lockout is lifted to make a decision, I would not be surprised if we cut our losses and maybe replace him with a Malcolm Floyd, Lance Moore, Steve Smith, James Jones, and a free agent like Ricardo Lockette, Edmund Gates, Austin Pettis, Jeff maehl, Greg Salas after taking a speedy Hankerson, Cobb, Jernigan, Titus young earlier.

Date: April 24, 2011 11:31AM

I think everyone is going into panic mode.

He isnt going anywhere, and he won't be suspended for a year.

He makes to much money and has to much ability.

He will be here this year, and will play all year long.

Regardless if you like him or not, you will be rooting for him on Sunday's occasional Monday, and Thanksgiving.

Date: April 24, 2011 11:54AM

I hope you're right mia1. I agree, it is beyond stupid to release him now just to save $. I think if he is suspended or ends up in jail there is a basis for not paying him this $ anyway, and not having it count against the cap (if/when there is one) at least. Right now the facts are he is the victim of a stabbing. Maybe he was verbally abusive (nothing indicating he physically abused her in this altercation or he'd have been arrested too) but that is not justification for getting stabbed, nor is it (or should it be) grounds for a suspension or violation of personal conduct policy. Now maybe there are facts that could come out that could change this, but cutting him on the chance that this occurs is just stupid. He is still our best WR and we did just give up two 2d rounders for him!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 24, 2011 12:58PM

I disagree that he is our "best" WR, berk. He is our "most talented" WR. Devon Bess is our "best" WR. And I'm not talking about stats either.

Date: April 24, 2011 01:13PM

you're certainly entitled to your opinion but Marshall is pro bowl caliber and Bess has not performed at that level yet. I think Bess is #2 to BM's #1.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 24, 2011 01:13PM

Mia1 has it right. You guys are overreacting. The main thing we have to worry about is whether this will affect Marshall's play (if it causes him to lose his focus). He won't be suspended (he wasn't charged with anything!!!). We're NOT getting rid of him (he's innocent until proven guilty, remember?).

At this point in the offseason, this is, basically, a non-issue.

Date: April 24, 2011 01:42PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you're certainly entitled to your opinion but
> Marshall is pro bowl caliber and Bess has not
> performed at that level yet. I think Bess is #2 to
> BM's #1.

RESPONSE: Oh, you are absolutely right in everything you say. But I'm talking about MVP. No matter how good a guy is, the best player is the most reliable player.

If there is a game winning pass being thrown to someone who would you prefer it to be. The guy with the talent who is most likely to be able to catch it but might be "miffed" or "in a snit" at that particular point and to whom dropping such a crucial pass might be a "that'll show 'em" moment or a guy like Devon Bess who is going to try his best to catch it?

Man, if you don't see that this guy is a damn jerk who doesn't care about anything but himself, I don't know what to say.

Date: April 24, 2011 06:09PM

i think the past history & trend that generally doesn't change with athletes makes him a risk at moving forward with a large contract. The diva complex where he puts himself before the team. We saw that last year in some games.

Date: April 25, 2011 06:24AM

Well what you guy's fail to realize is that he is here now, and there stuck with him for at least the turn of his currant contract.

So unless he goes to jail, shut up enjoy the show.

Get your popcorn ready! lol

Marshall is better than bess all day.

Problem with Marshall is to keep the flame burning so he doesnt lose his focus, if our coaching can do that then it's not even close.

Date: April 25, 2011 08:23PM

If he blows another game with his temper, I'll hate the loss.

But I'll enjoy reading you flip out and call him everything except a child of God, Mia1.

Date: April 26, 2011 04:17AM

He could, and if he does then I'm ok with letting him go.

I want at least this year of his talents, and again if he doesnt perform to snuff, or just loses it then sure can him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.