Home
THIS SITE
  About Phins.com
  Contact Us
  Staff
TEAM NEWS
  Team Info
  Twitter Feeds
  News Wire
  XML News
  Subscribe using any news reader
  News Articles
  Mobile News
  On Porpoise
GAMES
  Schedule
PERSONNEL
  Roster
  Depth Chart
  Training Camp
  Draft
FOR THE FANS
  Forums
  Places To Watch
  Dolphins Links
  Game Tickets
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute
  News Archive
  Past Games
  Transactions
  Past Rosters
SUPPORT PHINS.COM
  Dolphins Fan Shop
  Phins.com Apparel
 
-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com
 
  Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 03:48AM

If we did a trade down, I would not be mad if we took the best available CB.

The reason why is we have Will Allen as our back up corner, and nickle guy.

Thats it. Benny Sapp is ok, but I mean if Smith, or Davis get's hurt, or both then what?

I would deff draft another CB this draft. I think we are good at FS, could take another one, but drafting another shut down CB to me at least would be a awsome idea. Allen is old, so we need a Nikle back anyways, so reall wouldnt be that bad a idea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 03:49AM

That Prince guy, if he was there in the 20's and we traded down, I would pull the trigger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Date: April 18, 2011 04:10AM

NO. I disagree. Thats would be a Luxury pick. We are nowhere near being able to afford a Luxury pick. The Pats can do Luxury, we need to stick to the basics. Build up that Oline, QB,RB, and a reciever/Tightend before we go depth in the later rounds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 04:20AM

I agree with the O-line however I just saying I wouldnt be mad if that was the plan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 04:31AM

I mean could you imagine drafting down twice and on the second one, doing a swap of this years first round for that teams next year first round. Man Luck here we come! lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 04:52AM

yeah, that worked out real well the last time, when Wannstedt spent our 1st round pick on a "third CB" jamar fletcher. If a top CB falls to us at 15 (there are only 2 and neither will be there anyway) we should trade down (unless Peterson is there, and he won't be)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 04:58AM

We will never take a CB with the first pick. Thats a dumb idea.


EDIT:We have too many needs on offense

1.QB Henne Stinks
2.OL Need Guard and Center
3.RB Yes ronnie is getting there in age and injured all the time
4.WR Another superstar to compliment marshall.
5.TE...Fasano is just ok...Nothing more we need a tony gonzalez type TE.

PS.The fullback position is ok as long as polite stays healthy.

We are in trouble on offense if we do not upgrade the entire Offense.
This is whats keeping us from getting to the next level.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2011 05:45AM by samsam3738.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Date: April 18, 2011 04:58AM

Our defense is pretty elite when healthy. Our first rounder from last year(odrick) will be back.Maybe another Pass Rusher, but its running on all cylinders. We gotta start playing on both sides of the ball. This draft needs to be all offense in the first 4 rounds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 05:06AM

we could use some more pass rushers and a better ILB than Crowder and better safetys, but those are all needs that rank lower than our needs on OL, QB, RB, and WR. We are set at CB in the early rounds for sure

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 18, 2011 05:18AM

You always take the BPA no matter what the position is.

If you are set at all positions on you basketball team except Center, but Michael Jordan is available....you take Michael Jordan.


BPA.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 18, 2011 05:19AM

And that's how the Packers have became so deep with talent. They rack-and-stack their own "Big Board" and the BPA when they pick, according to their board, is always their pick.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 05:25AM

I disagree. If there is a CB on the board rated slightly ahead of an OG we are fools not to take the OG. If it's a question of Patrick Peterson vs Mike Pouncy, I agree we would have to take Peterson, but only b/c he's considered the best CB to come out in years. If Prince A falls to us, I think we need to trade down b/c a team that really needs a CB would be desperate for him. But neither of those guys are falling to 15 so it is a mute point, as some on here would say. And the #3 CB this year isn't supposed to be that good and is also a head case, so if we spend our #1 on the 3d best CB in this years draft, that is stooopid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 18, 2011 05:34AM

Well, guess the Packers and Ron Wolf are wrong. Same goes for the Steelers, patsies, Colts, and all other SB contending teams.

Cause thats how they draft.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 05:58AM

I am not disagreeing with the general concept of BPA, or, if you are a team with no real holes spending your first rounder on a "luxury" pick.

But there is a difference in taking BPA and just blindly following your board in the 1st round when you have needs all over the place. I don't think the Steelers will take a QB in the first round even if that is the top guy on their board.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 18, 2011 06:46AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You always take the BPA no matter what the
> position is.
>
> If you are set at all positions on you basketball
> team except Center, but Michael Jordan is
> available....you take Michael Jordan.
>
>
> BPA.

I disagree. You can't field 11 CBs on your defense. The evaluation of BPA across positions is more of an art than a science. You want to talk Basketball? Most people agree that Darko Milicic is probably the worst NBA draft pick ever..primarily because of who came after (Carmelo, Bosh, Wade, etc...) but also because Milicic just sucked. That pick was even worse than Portland choosing Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

But...let's look at who DID come after. Who would you rather have, Carmelo (SF), Bosh (PF) or Wade (SG)? The guy chosen #5 in that draft (Wade) is going to be a Hall of Famer. The other 2 are unsure, but I'm fairly certain Bosh will NOT make the Hall of Fame.

So, when Denver chose Carmelo, how would they have known Wade would have been a better choice? Same goes for Toronto when they picked Bosh.

Again, BPA. Wade still plays for Miami, has won a championship, and was the finals MVP. Carmelo and Bosh no longer play for the teams that drafted them. So...who was the real BPA?



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2011 06:47AM by montequi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 18, 2011 07:10AM

If for some God unknown reason Patrick Peterson was to fall to us, we are not supposed to take him because we already have 2 young CB's?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 18, 2011 07:17AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 18, 2011 07:19AM

BPA is very overrated. Truth is 95% of the time teams draft based on need. In the rare case when there's some freak at a position you have ZERO need for he has to be OFF THE CHARTS and simply too amazing to pass on. Frankly, that rarely happens so the topic is mostly irrelevant IMO.

Teams take “BPA” based on need. That’s the fact jack.

Just do it. And shut up!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 18, 2011 08:09AM

You guys are confused on this "BPA" thing.

Teams rack-and-stack their own BPA list. They dont follow "Mel Kiper's Big Board" or McShay or Mayock's Board.

They complile their own BPA list, and chose who ever is on the board when they pick.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Date: April 18, 2011 08:14AM

I think what they mean is , according to your standards of course, If a killer CB is available but you need a RB, and the RB's available are not up to the standard of that CB, you take that CB anyway. Let them battle it out and you at least get value for your pick instead of just filling a need .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:02AM

no if patrick peteron is there at 15 we take him, but he won't be

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:04AM

I have said before that you take the best player available........................................ AT A POSITION OF NEED.

I agree with those who say that bigger positions of need are RB, OL, TE, and QB over CB.

That being said, we do need CB. CB is also a position of need, only just a lower position of need. Vontae Davis is great but everyone else stinks, including not being able to catch "duck" interceptions.

However what does all this tell you? It tells you what I have been saying all along. That is that this team has a lot of needs and therefore Sucks (with bad coaching in the bargain) and therefore, you can't blame everything on Henne.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:08AM

You rate your BEST 500 prospects from best to worse.

Then you pick them according to who is on the board when you pick.

*DISCLAIMER* Please remember, many prospects are taken off teams boards for numerous reasons, character, no need, other implications.

Simply put. Unless you have Peyton Manning or a similiar/comparative positional player....their is always room for upgrade.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:21AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is so wrong. Michael Jordan is the greatest
> player to ever lace up basketball shoes.
Jordan was the best player of his era, but while he raised the bar..some players are reaching that today. Jordan was SO MUCH better than everyone else at the time, so we see him as the best ever. Wilt Chamberlain was also MUCH better than anyone else in his hey-day. So was Kareem. So was Oscar Robertson. We just remember Jordan because he was the most recent.

I think we've reached a point where there are players today that approach Jordan's ability. Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Blake Griffin, even Derrick Rose...ANY of these guys would have been amazing in Jordan's era. Jordan raised the bar, but physically and mentally players are starting to reach that now.

> Facts are facts, Portland said after the draft
> that they needed a Center more than a Guard and
> thats why they drafted Bowie over Jordan.
>
Sure, but if Bowie didn't have brittle bones, this may have not been looked at as such a bad pick. Do you blame Houston for taking Hakeem?

Fact is, Bowie was a bust because of injuries...not because of lack of ability. Milicic, on the other hand, just stunk.



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2011 09:25AM by montequi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:27AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:34AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Do you blame Houston for taking Hakeem?
>
> I would say they made a mistake as well.

No more than the teams that took Carmelo or Bosh over Wade. Most Houston fans would disagree with you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:39AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:49AM

They all dance around need as others have said, BPA is not a constant, all 32 teams dont agree on BPA, at most given points. If the best player available is a QB when Philly or Atlanta picks in the first rd do they take another QB, of course not......
As others have said best player available, is based on individual team's board that they draw up based on players style fitting the teams style of play, speed, size, needs or holes, etc. A 3-4 NT doesnt value as high for a 4-3 team, etc. Some teams dont value guys without a certain speed or size.
Bascily you are arguing on something that has 32 different answers at a given point... SO BPA, is more like the guy we like and want to pick...based on his skills and our needs....lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 10:05AM

Yeah lets be serious Aqua is 100 percent right. No one even comes close to touching Jordan.

To even make a statement to argue against that is ludacris. He took the team on his back every year, and beat that a..

Lol ..... Kobe? Please he is a great player, but Jordan would school him.

Hell even close to 50 Jordan could prob school most these a..holes in there prime.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I wouldnt mind taking the best CB in the first round.
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 18, 2011 10:13AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They all dance around need as others have said,
> BPA is not a constant, all 32 teams dont agree on
> BPA, at most given points. If the best player
> available is a QB when Philly or Atlanta picks in
> the first rd do they take another QB, of course
> not......
> As others have said best player available, is
> based on individual team's board that they draw up
> based on players style fitting the teams style of
> play, speed, size, needs or holes, etc. A 3-4 NT
> doesnt value as high for a 4-3 team, etc. Some
> teams dont value guys without a certain speed or
> size.
> Bascily you are arguing on something that has 32
> different answers at a given point... SO BPA, is
> more like the guy we like and want to pick...based
> on his skills and our needs....lol


&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
That is basically right.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England
TOP
   
© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.