Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Can henne become a great qb with the right offensive coordinator?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Can henne become a great qb with the right offensive coordinator?
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 10:39AM

I had this question on the back of my mind for a while.

Do you think henne's development was hampered by hennings inability to call the right plays at the right time?

I mean nothing seemed to work at times. Nothing that was called.

Did they let henne audible and change plays at the LOS?

Was henning the reason henne did not developed into at least a decent QB on this team?

I always said a players development depends at least 65 percent on how he is coached....

Do you think henne would had developed into a great player with lets say cameron as the OC....I admit cameron stunk as a head coach but also admit he was a very good OC for the ravens. I mean flacco isnt a superstar yet but he is developing rather nicely under cameron's system.

I really want to hear all of your thought on this and i know some of you dont even want to hear the name chad henne any more.

Thought please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can henne become a great qb with the right offensive coordinator?
Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: February 04, 2011 11:18AM

That is the $64,000 question. Who know?

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 11:49AM

I think Hennes coaching development was very badly designed for him... I think he is gun shy, and that is the fault of the coaches. I would let him take the time to see the field, then slowly increase the rate at which he makes the reads. They tell him make the read by this bell or else. SO he dumps the ball off more then making the right read... So if the defense can stall development of the play at all, and a little bit of disguising the coverage and we were screwed last year... SO most teams stacked the box, jammed Marshall with a LB, and the offense's skill players rarely created any space before the internal clck went off and Henne dumped the ball... Not to mention that we were a power running team that could not run the ball and threw out of that personel and formation 30-40 times a game... Recipe for failure IMO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 12:02PM by Crowder52.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 04, 2011 01:51PM

As Jason Taylor said, Henne was coached to fear every incompletion. That's not how you handle a QB. Henne was a bit of a gunslinger at Michigan. I'm a huge Michigan fan, and watched him his whole career. One of the negatives I would have said about him was that he took chances on the 15-20 yard routes with trusting his arm to fit the ball into tight spaces. And you actually some of this from him in 2009. They coached it out of him. And that's not a good thing.

It's also not just the OC. He needs a better supporting cast. It starts with the running game. Dan Henning's offense required a successful running game to make the play action passing work. We couldn't make that happen. The pass protection was lousy. And we lack explosive weapons catching the ball.

It's a complicated puzzle, and you need all the pieces. But, don't count out Henne turning things around in his 3rd year as a starter. Lots of other guys have done it.

Posted by: Phins NJ ()
Date: February 04, 2011 02:49PM

I think he can. Dan Henning was a joke. Our running backs sucked. Draft Ingram at 15, run plays that are from this century and things will start changing immediately.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 04, 2011 05:17PM

Better question:

Can we EVER get the right offensive coordinator?

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:16PM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:28PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had this question on the back of my mind for a
> while.
>
> Do you think henne's development was hampered by
> hennings inability to call the right plays at the
> right time?

RE: Yes, but Henne must bear some blame too.
>
> I mean nothing seemed to work at times. Nothing
> that was called.
>
> Did they let henne audible and change plays at the
> LOS?

RE: No, it was reported by plyers that he was not.
>
> Was henning the reason henne did not developed
> into at least a decent QB on this team?

RE: Partly...
>
> I always said a players development depends at
> least 65 percent on how he is coached....

RE: I'd agree...who knows however what the actual percentage is.
>
> Do you think henne would had developed into a
> great player with lets say cameron as the OC....I
> admit cameron stunk as a head coach but also admit
> he was a very good OC for the ravens. I mean
> flacco isnt a superstar yet but he is developing
> rather nicely under cameron's system.

RE: It's possible. Cameron is in fact a good coach that's had more sucess than simply Flacco.
>
> I really want to hear all of your thought on this
> and i know some of you dont even want to hear the
> name chad henne any more.
>
> Thought please.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 07:27PM

He will never be a elite qb, and I wouldnt mind eating thoughs words hard, but lets be honest.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: February 05, 2011 06:45AM

At this point, I think most Dolphin fans would settle for a "good" QB out of Henne.

Date: February 05, 2011 07:11AM

Odenn Wrote:
> At this point, I think most Dolphin fans would
> settle for a "good" QB out of Henne.

Im one of them. Id settle for just good instead of great or superstar.

Last year he wasnt good at all. In fact he was terrible at crunch time.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: February 05, 2011 08:01AM

Posted by: Phins NJ ()
Date: February 05, 2011 08:10AM

i think part of the problem is that he has been coached to not make a mistake as opposed to go win the game. Poor coaching is at fault.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 05, 2011 11:51AM

I interviewed a guy on Friday whose friend dated Henne in college...the only thing he said about him is that he's dumber than &#%@.

Possibly true, but the Jets game performance from last year has me hoping for one more year...I just don't know where that player went in 2010.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 05, 2011 02:48PM

Wow. That's tough to deal with, Stamper. It's one thing if you are just not that bright but you have a high football IQ. Terry Bradshaw comes to mind. I don't think anybody would put him in competition to win the Nobel but he could think like hell and improvise as needed on the football field.

I have been Henne's staunchest supporter but I did concede that he lacked football leadership. Maybe, what I was seeing as a lack of leadership was just that he is not gifted in the upstairs department, football-wise or any-wise.

That in turn may mean that the reason that the coaches keep it simple for him is because they know he cannot handle complicated.

Date: February 05, 2011 03:56PM

Well there it is he too stupid to be a QB in the NFL. So now that we know he will be sub-par any solutions?

I mean that does explain why he throws the ball to the defensive lineman alot lol.

Date: February 05, 2011 08:50PM

I've never seen that. I've seen balls batted up by defensive lineman.

Date: February 06, 2011 04:05AM

Well last time I checked there wernt any D-lineman over the 6"10 mark, which would indicate to me that whoever throwing the ball would have to be throwing it close enough to be batted by the lineman, which in essance Cryn is throwing it too them.

So next time you watch some games that Henne played, or might play watch closely at the line.

Date: February 06, 2011 10:20AM

Every quarterback has batted balls. Some more than others but a batted ball is not throwing a pass to a lineman as would be throwing one to a corner or a safety. Now you can throw a short pass right in the bread basket of a DL but are you saying that batted balls constitutes "throwing it to them?"

Date: February 07, 2011 08:13AM

Chyren - you're absolutely right about it being tough to deal with. I have seen glimpses of gamesmanship from him, but mostly in 2009. I still firmly believe that Henning is more at fault than Henne in 2010 - Henne was absolutely set up for failure, IMO...it was as if he almost had no chance for success by design.

I still staunchly support Chad as an option for starter in 2011. I don't think he got dumber over the course of a year. My concern is that his ceiling (which he clearly did not reach in 2010) may be too low for long-term, multi-year Super Bowl contention. However, I'm open to viable competition for him.

In reviewing the list of starting QBs in the 2010 playoffs, one thing that strikes me is that most all of them have better wonderlic scores than Chad (22). Roeths is 25. Vick & Cassel weren't listed on the list I used (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/wonderlic-scores-of-2010-nfl-starting-quarterbacks-and-339905.html). Another thing that I note is that they're all 'gamers' at least to some extent (with Hasselbeck & Cassel at the low end of that).

The final thing I noted - and this doesn't have anything to do with Henne, actually - is that we have had really good shots at acquiring a lot of them over the years:
- Brady - well storied 6th round find
- Rodgers - we took Brown #2 overall in 2005
- Brees - 2x miss
- Hasselbeck - I remember at least rumors and maybe overtures for competition for his services from GB
- Matt Ryan - we took Long (don't get me wrong - I love that we got an HoF LT)
- Sanchez - Jets moved from 17 to 5 to get him, giving up some scrubs and their 2nd round pick. Funny enough, Tampa got the 17th and picked up Freeman, who is probably better than Sanchez.
- Flacco - we could have had Jake Long and Flacco. I've documented that we had more than enough firepower to get the pick that Baltimore moved down and then up a bit to get
- Vick - was pretty much anyone's at one point
- Cassel - KC had to take Vrabel along with him when they gave NE a 2nd rounder in 2009
- Cutler - just 5 picks after Denver picked him (not sure that I want him, but he was in the NFC championship game this year) we got ourselves Jason Allen

The only ones we really didn't have a good shot at:
- Roethlisberger - what would it have taken for us to move from 20 to say 9 or 10 (where the Jags picked up Reggie Williams and the Texans Dante Robinson)? Perhaps a 2nd & 4th? Whatever, I think if we had really wanted him we could have made a move.
- Manning - no chance

More than any real commentary on Henne, I think my message as I've typed it has morphed into a message regarding Miami's overall ineptitude in getting a quality QB. I think it also dispels the myth that has lived in my head that great QBs are really almost never available. Once they're great, that's probably true. Manning has never been available. However, we have had real, viable shots at over 90% of the playoff QBs for 2010. Again, I like Henne and hope that we don't give up on him quite yet...just frustrated at our recent history related to the QB position.

Date: February 07, 2011 09:41AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 09:46AM by samsam3738.

Date: February 07, 2011 09:50AM

I may be slow, but what does '.' mean?

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 07, 2011 09:53AM

Date: February 07, 2011 10:00AM

tsstamper Wrote:
> I may be slow, but what does '.' mean?

Something i typed that i erased. lol

Date: February 07, 2011 10:01AM

Roger that...

PS - "I may be slow" can be read "I'm definitely slow" :-)

Cheers!

Posted by: davdoldew4 ()
Date: February 11, 2011 04:18PM

I appreciate loyalty to a player regarding Henne but the bottom line is Henne is the Problem. Not the OC, OL, RB's , the Coach, WR's, etc, etc, etc!!!

Take care

Date: February 14, 2011 08:03AM

davdoldew4 Wrote:
> I appreciate loyalty to a player regarding Henne
> but the bottom line is Henne is the Problem. Not
> the OC, OL, RB's , the Coach, WR's, etc, etc,
> etc!!!
>
>
> Take care

Unfortunatelly you might be right.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: February 18, 2011 03:38AM

If you don't think the OC was part of the problem, you don't understand basic football offense. I'm sorry.

Date: February 18, 2011 04:34PM

See Odenn, I would love to believe that, but really the QB had to execute all the plays, regardless of how stupid some of them where.

If anything, his mental aspect might have been affected, but he just can't put the ball where it needed to go when it counted, which was/is the problem with Henne.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.