HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Fix 2010's 3 biggest problems
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Fix 2010's 3 biggest problems
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 03, 2011 03:43PM

We need speed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 03, 2011 04:13PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jimmy the Greek was talking about slavery and was
> right. Some of us Blacks objected to him being
> shut up because it basically hushed up one of the
> most sorrowful evidence of the degradation of
> slavery. Blacks were brought over here for the
> purpose of being worked like animals and were
> intentionally bred for that purpose because the
> slave owner dictated with whom they could breed.
>
> He did attempt to breed strong muscular males and
> fertile females.
>
> But by reminding everyone of this, he made Whites
> more uncomfortable than Blacks. Yeah, the Liberal
> crowd agitated a few of their Black allies to
> speak out but there were a lot in the Black
> community saying, "Hey, that's the way it was. We
> didn't ask for it. It was done to us."

yes, that and survival of the fittest. only the strongest were able to survive those journeys on slave ships. I thought it was absurd he got fired for those comments.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 04, 2011 03:18AM

I did not mean to cause such arguments on this board. It is good to see spirited debate. We don't need more speed on offense we need better offensive execution, and play calling that would fix many problems on our offense. One other point is the New England offense faster than ours? Where is their team speed? What they have is a QB that can best use his ofensive weapons. Speed does help in the NFL but it's not the determining factor in the out of most gamess. That would be turnovers and, the better QB play the teams that do those to better usually win most of their games.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 04, 2011 05:16AM

Quote:

"One other point is the New England offense faster than ours?"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dude, are you freakin serious? Brandon Tate runs a 4.3. Their young and fast TE's are mismatches.

They have plenty of speed. But, why are we talking about the pats? They are not the picture of the NFL, the Steelers and Packers are.

QUIT TALKING ABOUT A TEAM THAT DID NOT MAKE THE SUPERBOWL!!

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 05:56AM

i think the pats are unfortunately the best team to rate our team against, they didn't make the super bowl this year, but can you think of any team the last 10 years that has been so consistently dominant, perhaps the colts, but there about the only ones.

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:18AM

g_fish55 Wrote:
> i think the pats are unfortunately the best team
> to rate our team against, they didn't make the
> super bowl this year, but can you think of any
> team the last 10 years that has been so
> consistently dominant, perhaps the colts, but
> there about the only ones.

Colts? What about the Steelers?

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:59AM

I am going to give the benfit of the doubt to Henne but in that case, Offensive schemes would probably be our biggest problem last year. The one thing that I hope we get out of this new OC, is a guy that will makes the best out of the personel we have, bascily dont design a offensvie scheme that doesnt fit our personel.
I think for Henne to be successful they need to get rid of that damn alarm that goes after three seconds from the snap of the ball in practice. I think they have forced Henne into being to reactionary and not actionary and see the field better. He is so afraid that he needs to get rid of the ball quick it has hampered his ability to read the defense and coverages properly. He isnt good at it so every defense does its best to play a zone with different disguises that on first look confuse Henne IMO. leading him to dump the ball off 9 times out of ten. Instead of attacking the cracks in the zone...
The Oline needs work. Especially at center and guard. And Carey needs to either get in shape or we need to cut his salary and or move on..
RB's- is a tough one, the interior oline push sucked last year, And the game planning and execution from the oline was horrible... I am not as sold as everbody else that Ronnie's time is over....
WR- Yes we need a speed WR, but the 2 youngs guys that made the team last year were not slow by any means. We just had bad game planning and tried to pass out of a power run formation alot, which extremely limits the success of the passing game

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: February 04, 2011 07:37AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I am going to give the benfit of the doubt to
> Henne but in that case, Offensive schemes would
> probably be our biggest problem last year. The one
> thing that I hope we get out of this new OC, is a
> guy that will makes the best out of the personel
> we have, bascily dont design a offensvie scheme
> that doesnt fit our personel.
> I think for Henne to be successful they need to
> get rid of that damn alarm that goes after three
> seconds from the snap of the ball in practice. I
> think they have forced Henne into being to
> reactionary and not actionary and see the field
> better. He is so afraid that he needs to get rid
> of the ball quick it has hampered his ability to
> read the defense and coverages properly. He isnt
> good at it so every defense does its best to play
> a zone with different disguises that on first look
> confuse Henne IMO. leading him to dump the ball
> off 9 times out of ten. Instead of attacking the
> cracks in the zone...

This will probably be the most significant change next season; it’s adopting the west coast offense idea of attacking a given defense’s weaknesses. The Dolphins last season kind of got caught up in a numbers game, of taking what the defense gives.

Date: February 04, 2011 08:14AM

Finshady, when you have a possession receiver like Brandon Marshall and he gets blanketed with coverage all the time, you need a speed receiver to take some of that coverage off. That's why posters are correctly asking for a speed receiver. When Randy Moss is on the opposition team, the possession receiver on that team usually has an easier time.

Posted by: Dolphacolyte ()
Date: February 04, 2011 08:52AM

Perhaps Aqua didn't used the right choice of words. I studied Physical Education and in my course of "Principles of Sports Psychology" we cover the subject of Stacking. Football is a perfect example for that. Copy & Paste this to get an idea what I'm talking about:

www.science.smith.edu/exer_sci/ESS200/Raceh/Raceh.htm

In football we are used to the white QB and also to the black RB. WR are also considered the best from those of African descent. So NFL Stacking is as such: White Coach and QB(Belichick and Brady are the perfect example) and the rest black. The problem for the Black QB happens to be and by his own mouth(forget Rush Limbaugh)Donovan McNabb. He is the Antonio Salieri of Black QB's. He's the Champion, the Patron Saint. Black QB mediocrities everywhere. Vince Young I absolve you, Jamarcus Russell I absolve you, Kordell Stewart I absolve you and so on. At the moment I'm writing this, the Romance from K.466 in D minor is playing on the background.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 09:34AM by Dolphacolyte.

Date: February 04, 2011 09:45AM

In other words, Dolphacolyte, stereotypes are hard to overcome. Moreover, they tend to be self-perpetuating, also your point, but I think they may even start in high school or perhaps younger.

Black atheletes, because of these stereotypes, may be channeled into certain positions by their coaches, well meaning or not.

Let's suppose you get a Black kid in high school or college who is brainy and would make an excellent QB with an excellent arm, either he is looked at as a) a nerd who shouldn't make the team or b) "you've got it wrong kid, you should be a WR or a RB." So if he is playing for a predominantly Black high school, he plays QB until he gets to college unless he goes to a traditionally Black university where he will play QB until he reaches the pros and if he is at a high school that is predominantly White he is channelled into another postion.

Actually the first Black QB to start in the NFL played for the Dolphins. Though not at QB. He was Marlin Briscoe who played for the Bills and then came to us to be put at what.....WR.

But the next big time QB was James Harris who played for the Rams. He was known for his passing and not running.

However, it is often a self-fulfilling prophecy as to how abilities are perceived and how those perceptions are acted upon.

Posted by: wayne ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:46AM

Dolphacolyte Wrote:
> Perhaps Aqua didn't used the right choice of
> words. I studied Physical Education and in my
> course of "Principles of Sports Psychology" we
> cover the subject of Stacking. Football is a
> perfect example for that. Copy & Paste this to get
> an idea what I'm talking about:
>
> www.science.smith.edu/exer_sci/ESS200/Raceh/Raceh.
> htm
>
> In football we are used to the white QB and also
> to the black RB. WR are also considered the best
> from those of African descent. So NFL Stacking is
> as such: White Coach and QB(Belichick and Brady
> are the perfect example) and the rest black. The
> problem for the Black QB happens to be and by his
> own mouth(forget Rush Limbaugh)Donovan McNabb. He
> is the Antonio Salieri of Black QB's. He's the
> Champion, the Patron Saint. Black QB mediocrities
> everywhere. Vince Young I absolve you, Jamarcus
> Russell I absolve you, Kordell Stewart I absolve
> you and so on. At the moment I'm writing this, the
> Romance from K.466 in D minor is playing on the
> background.

### The sample size is much smaller so the failure rate looks worse for Non -white QB's. for every non white qb that failed I can point out ten on the other side. Failure has nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with ability. as the pool of non-white Qb's grow so will the success rate. Same as with coaching and so on and so forth. NONE OF THIS NONSENSE ADDRESSES THE ORIGINAL QUESTION.

1) Coaching philosophy
2) QB
3) O-line

Posted by: Dolphacolyte ()
Date: February 04, 2011 01:55PM

Glad for your responses to my post. Been around 34 years watching this game and it's pretty much the standard trends. Of course that's my opinion following the sport for all this time. Anyone has the full right to disagree with me certainly. Although I got a glimpse of Bob Griese late in his career, most of my experience was watching Bradshaw, Montana, Sipe, Stabler, Fouts and then Dan, John, Brett and Troy. As for the RB's it was Campbell, Dorsett, Allen, Payton, Erickson, Sanders, Smith. For the RB's there's no argument required. Don't get me wrong, I've got no trouble with coats of color of the human species. It's just my view following my take on the game and the specialized functions of the performers. Copy & Paste this:

answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081018073831AAwtGHw

Varied comments there. As for the Donovan association with Milos Forman film adaptation of Peter Shaffer Play. Just bringing the funny side. Classical Music and Symphonic Progressive Rock are the only genres I listen to. The more complex the music the better. Just like Football. Be the case you want to remember 1984 cinema go here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=afxMs5d41Bg.
You'll see the scene at the end I was alluding with Donovan.

Posted by: wayne ()
Date: February 04, 2011 02:50PM

Dolphacolyte Wrote:
> Glad for your responses to my post. Been around 34
> years watching this game and it's pretty much the
> standard trends. Of course that's my opinion
> following the sport for all this time. Anyone has
> the full right to disagree with me certainly.
> Although I got a glimpse of Bob Griese late in his
> career, most of my experience was watching
> Bradshaw, Montana, Sipe, Stabler, Fouts and then
> Dan, John, Brett and Troy. As for the RB's it was
> Campbell, Dorsett, Allen, Payton, Erickson,
> Sanders, Smith. For the RB's there's no argument
> required. Don't get me wrong, I've got no trouble
> with coats of color of the human species. It's
> just my view following my take on the game and the
> specialized functions of the performers. Copy &
> Paste this:
>
> answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=2008101807383
> 1AAwtGHw
>
> Varied comments there. As for the Donovan
> association with Milos Forman film adaptation of
> Peter Shaffer Play. Just bringing the funny side.
> Classical Music and Symphonic Progressive Rock are
> the only genres I listen to. The more complex the
> music the better. Just like Football. Be the case
> you want to remember 1984 cinema go here:
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=afxMs5d41Bg.
> You'll see the scene at the end I was alluding
> with Donovan.

### isn't irony great while you were watching the top 10% thru your prism I was peeping guys like David Woodley, David Klingler, Rick Mirer, jack Thompson, Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Heath Shuler,Rex Grossman, Dan McGwire, Jim Drukenmiller, Art Schlichter, Joey Harrington , Cade McNown, Tommy Maddox and Todd (i was born to be an NFL Qcool smiley Marinovich Whew, Kyle Boller, Steve Pisarkcziewi,kelly Stouffer, Todd blackledge,Craig Erickson, Tim Couch Rich Campbell David Carr, Joe Profit, Alex Smith. Then there is Lawrence Phillips, Curtis Ennis, Ki-jana Carter, sammy Smith, John Avery, Lorenzo Hampton,Blair Thomas,Tim Biakabatucka Micheal Haddox, ad so on and so forth. I know your comment wasn't strictly about race being the deciding factor but it seems to hint that skin color plays a major role of success and failure in sports. there are colossal bust on either side and the greater the sample size the lesser the effect and vice-versa.####

Posted by: Phins NJ ()
Date: February 04, 2011 03:00PM

I agree. Our running backs were bad...old, slow etc. Add in the play of the line and the archaic coaching and we never even had a shot. Leads to double coverage on Marshall all day.

I really wish we'd draft a premier offensive player at his position instead of all this 'value in the later rounds'. Good teams are built by drafting good players, not pretending someone in the third or fourth round is going to be just as good.

Date: February 04, 2011 03:20PM

Wayne,

Your post makes absolutely *ZERO* sense, for every great QB, there is 50 busts and everybody knows that....what is your point?

---------------------

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 04, 2011 05:15PM

wayne Wrote:

> ### isn't irony great while you were watching the
> top 10% thru your prism I was peeping guys like
> David Woodley, David Klingler, Rick Mirer, jack
> Thompson, Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Heath Shuler,Rex
> Grossman, Dan McGwire, Jim Drukenmiller, Art
> Schlichter, Joey Harrington , Cade McNown, Tommy
> Maddox and Todd (i was born to be an NFL Qcool smiley
> Marinovich Whew, Kyle Boller, Steve
> Pisarkcziewi,kelly Stouffer, Todd blackledge,Craig
> Erickson, Tim Couch Rich Campbell David Carr, Joe
> Profit, Alex Smith. Then there is Lawrence
> Phillips, Curtis Ennis, Ki-jana Carter, sammy
> Smith, John Avery, Lorenzo Hampton,Blair
> Thomas,Tim Biakabatucka Micheal Haddox, ad so on
> and so forth. I know your comment wasn't strictly
> about race being the deciding factor but it seems
> to hint that skin color plays a major role of
> success and failure in sports. there are colossal
> bust on either side and the greater the sample
> size the lesser the effect and vice-versa.####

I'm reall confused by this statement. I also have no idea how David Woodley fits into this list. Must everyone forget that he took us to a Superbowl?

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:21PM

Date: February 05, 2011 05:19AM

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 05, 2011 06:08AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> We need speed.

Then trade Bess, for the dynamic speed deep threat.

Date: February 05, 2011 07:07AM

ok mia1, what do we get for bess? it's not enough to say we trade him for a dynamic speed threat. who is that guy?

Date: February 05, 2011 12:34PM

And also, do you give up a reliable and valuable part of your team to get it? I'd sooner trade away draft choices (not saying I am suggesting it but if a gun were put to my head and I was told to choose) because ultimately no one can ever know how any draft choice will pan out.

Date: February 05, 2011 12:47PM

Finshady,

To bring the Raiders into any debate is plain dumb. Come on Bro.

What about the Packers team speed? Name me a playoff team this year that doesnt have more speed than us.

---------------------

Date: February 05, 2011 01:34PM

Aqua it's not dumb just making a point about team speed you statement about a white guy being our fastest offensive player was very dumb. I only uses the Raiders because their owner loves speed on offense, and they still are sub par because he won't invest money in a top flight QB. If you don't have one of those you are not going to be very good. Good teams have very good QB's bad and mediocre teams don't for the most part.

Date: February 05, 2011 02:27PM

Again, you used the Raiders. But what about every other team in the playoffs? They all have speed on offense, we dont.

---------------------

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 05, 2011 03:54PM

Trade bess for a 2nd or 3rd round and use it too acquire Whoever shows the best hands smarts and speed wr in the draft, or package a deal for Desean Jackson!!

Date: February 05, 2011 04:58PM

Every team that made the playoffs have good to very good starting QB's we don't or didn't last year . Team speed means nothing if your QB sucks.

Date: February 06, 2011 06:04AM

Finshady,

All those guys are fast, game-changing, big-play WR's.

You are right we dont have none, AND THAT IS WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT!

Seriously, are you ok, dude!? Do you not understand? Did your mom lick 9 volt batteries when she was pregnant with you?

For some reason, you are not getting a grasp of what we are talking about.

---------------------

Date: February 06, 2011 06:39AM

Our team speed was better last year with Ted Ginn arguably one of the fastest wide recievers in the game but we finished with the same record. Same QB same results and as for mothers I would appreciate if you leave mine out of any discussion on this board.

Date: February 06, 2011 06:48AM

ted ginn was fast but he was a bad WR. we need fast players who are actually good.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.