HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          You may or may not like this....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
You may or may not like this....
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 02, 2011 07:47AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: You may or may not like this....
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 02, 2011 08:33AM

If we are stuck at #15, OL may be where we have to go with the pick. Vernon Carey's yearly salary takes a big jump this season. It is not out of the question that he'll be cut. And that would make RT a huge need. Even if we keep Carey, there have always been people who have said he'd be better as a guard. And we need guard help. So, such a pick is conceivable.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 02, 2011 09:31AM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 02, 2011 09:44AM

It would be a logical move and having Carey move to G would resolve that problem.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 02, 2011 10:12AM

I'm wondering how much money we're going to continue to dump on the O-Line. Could part of our issue this season have been coaching? I'm just saying, Hudson Houck did more with much less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 10:28AM by montequi.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 02, 2011 10:18AM

We should take Mark Ingram, if available, over O-line. I can see, though not agree, with those who say take one of the named QBs at 15 rather than Ingram but O-line at 15. Moreover, we need more than just one person at O line and with our needs at other places such as RB and WR as well, it makes more sense to go to lower rounds for O line.

Date: February 02, 2011 10:24AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it makes more sense to go to lower rounds for O
> line.

I agree. Our biggest weakness the last 2 years on the O-Line has been inside (G, C) NOT at Tackle. Why get ANOTHER high-priced tackle?? I'm not convinced moving Carey to Guard is the answer. Wouldn't it make him one of the (if not the) highest paid Guards in the league? What Carey needs is motivation. He needs to lose weight, get in the weight room, and work on his agility. He needs Cameron Wake and Paul Soliai to get on his ass and show him how it is done. Carey has been slacking off. If he can get in shape and motivated, he can be one of the better RT's in the league. Without the motivation, he might be another waste at Guard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 10:25AM by montequi.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 02, 2011 10:25AM

Good Post A&O, I think if he is the best available, then that is what we do. It feels a need, in that the Oline needs help, just about every position outside of Jakes is fair game IMO... If Carey can dominate at guard, that would be great, but I am not sure what Carey's problems are other then he seems a bit slower and gets more winded...

Date: February 02, 2011 10:27AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Carey's problems
> are other then he seems a bit slower and gets more
> winded...

Carey is out of shape. Hands down. That can be solved in one off-season. Paul Soliai needs to have a long talk with him.

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: February 02, 2011 11:18AM

I love the emphasis on the line, but we need more than one player on the interior.

As far as I've heard, Incognito does not want to play center and prefers to stay at guard, so if we would still be without a real center which would hurt. This move will only work out if center is addressed this off-season as well.

It might still be better to trade back (if possible) and pick a center/guard with our first two picks.

Date: February 02, 2011 11:26AM

I want to go for a skills guy in the 1st round (QB, RB, WR) for a change. We missed on Tedd Ginn, and Yatil Green was a bust because of injuries, but other than Ronnie Brown and those 2 guys we haven't drafted a skills guy in the 1st round since....what....Dan Marino? Am I forgetting someone?

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 02, 2011 12:27PM

I don't mind them going O-line in the 1st because it's a big need of our team, i'd be more pissed if they took another D-lineman or another position of strength just because it's the BPA.

Date: February 02, 2011 12:33PM

But what you guys are forgetting is this,

By getting Solder, you are essentially adressing 2 needs with one player. By getting Solder, you slide Carey over to Guard (who BTW is a much better Guard than Tackle) and you now have your bookend tackles for the next 12 years, and a really good Guard for the next 4-6.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 02, 2011 12:51PM

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 02, 2011 01:12PM

A&O - I've always heard that Carey would be a fantastic guard, so this makes a lot of sense from that perspective. Add Mankins (if he's really all that) at the other guard position and have Incognito man center.

Instead of wholesale changes for the worse at interior OL, this would preserve continuity in quality personnel, insert proven veteran talent and upgrade 2 positions with one pick on the right side.

With Jerry hopefully still learning and coming into his own and Garner back for quality depth at multiple positions, I think this could be a pretty good solution.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 02, 2011 01:18PM

PF2 - do you mean 2010 was his last or 2011 could be his last? I think you mean the latter, but want to make sure I understand your perspective.

Date: February 02, 2011 01:33PM

Quote:

"I'm not buying the argument that drafting Solder address two needs long term."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I never said "long-term" in my scenario. I said Solder for the next 12 years, Carey for the next 4-6.

4-6 years in this industry is 1 contract. I think "long-term" means past 1 contract. But hey, thats just my opinion.

Carey is from Miami born and breed, born there, raised there, played college there, played professionally there, he has been a Miami Dolphin fan his entire life....with that being said...

What maked you think he wont do something that is very common, called....contract re-structuring!?

---------------------

Date: February 02, 2011 02:09PM

Well, if this happens, then project BIG continues. So much for getting FASTER and more EXCITING.

Date: February 02, 2011 02:26PM

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 02, 2011 05:58PM

Go sign Mankins and or Kalil

Posted by: wayne ()
Date: February 03, 2011 04:49AM

Moving Carey to guard a bit earlier in his carrer may have made sense. Dolphins want their guards to be able to pull and also get to the second level doubt Carey is atheletic enough to do it. Think he stays at RT.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: February 03, 2011 05:17AM

montequi Wrote:
> Crowder52 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Carey's problems
> > are other then he seems a bit slower and gets
> more
> > winded...
>
> Carey is out of shape. Hands down. That can be
> solved in one off-season. Paul Soliai needs to
> have a long talk with him.

Paul is one of the few reasons I have smiled at anything Dolphin this past season. Prior to the start of the 2010 season if you would have told me we would have made this sort of comment about Soliai, I would have called ya nucking futs.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: February 03, 2011 05:32AM

Great...We continue to burn 1st round picks trying to build a line to protect a non-existent QB and block for a non-existent RB.

Draft a skills player in the 1st who can make a difference and look for linemen later on or through free agency for Goodness sake.

Date: February 03, 2011 05:47AM

Date: February 03, 2011 06:45AM

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 03, 2011 07:22AM

Krunk Fu Wrote:
> I love the emphasis on the line, but we need more
> than one player on the interior.
>
> As far as I've heard, Incognito does not want to
> play center and prefers to stay at guard, so if we
> would still be without a real center which would
> hurt. This move will only work out if center is
> addressed this off-season as well.
>
> It might still be better to trade back (if
> possible) and pick a center/guard with our first
> two picks.

Who the hell told you he doesnt want to play center?

In fact all the reports I read, said he played center before being forced in college to move to guard, due to injuries of other players, and that he is more natural at center.

Berger would be a better fit at LG, becuase he is lighter, and slimmer which would promote a better pulling guard than Incognito.

I wouldnt be mad if we spent the 15th on this Nate guy.

Any guy over 6-7 that is athleticaly gifted like Long, will be a beast, and stud at tackle.

Him and Long, would dominate defenders, I would try to trade, or fump Carey's lazy ass to another team, and offer him a box of donuts on the way out, Boston cream filled.

Moving Incognito to center, having Nate Garner compete with Berger for LG, also compete with the RG spot, and draft this guy our O-line would be very solid.

Again there is no point in drafting a god damn RB, or QB and stuff them behind a make shift line.

You will just see what happened last year. Jesus people!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 07:24AM by Mia1.

Date: February 03, 2011 08:43AM

I'll say it one more time. HUDSON HOUCK did it with LESS TALENT!!! We have a coaching issue, along with a talent issue. I truly believe Houck would be getting more from Carey right now. I also think Houck would have had the sense to move Incognito to Center much earlier. Having Berger at Guard may have saved him from injury. Finally, Houck would have developed Jerry much better.

Face it. Our O-Line has become the moneypit of this team. We keep dumping dollars into it, and it just disappears into nothing.

Date: February 03, 2011 09:02AM

You may be right, Monte. But the fact is, Houck aint here, and he aint coming back.

We need to find the right coach, right players, and start playing great along the line.

---------------------

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 03, 2011 09:12AM

for some reason it seems like OL coaches make a huge difference. Hauk has turned every line he's coached into a top unit. Alex Gibbs too. Sandusky was great when here but he had talent to work with
I know Sporano was an OL coach before, but was he even ever considered a good one?

Date: February 03, 2011 09:30AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> We need to find the right coach, right players,
> and start playing great along the line.

I agree. I just think dumping more money into the line right now won't solve our problem and could even make it worse.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.